Avatar construction aerial updates

PhilharMagician

Scott, next time you are up can you get a shot of the DTD construction. I am curious to see the footprint of the garage going in. The ground level photos do not interpret well as far as the size of it.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Have there been any rumors about Rainforest Cafe going away? I remember we heard that early on.

I haven't heard any more rumors about that. I can't seem them getting rid of a sit-down restaurant, especially if they want to turn AK into a full day park. I could see them maybe replacing it with a different restaurant. I think there was talk of moving it to provide more space, but they should have more then enough space for Avatar without getting rid of it.

doctornick

Related, here's the new Festival of the Lion King theater, due north of the old location. This shows a transition from 2013 to 2014 note: updated the video, the previous date captions were wrong

In the video, with the current overhead view, there is a new building next to the east bridge off Discovery Island (currently a backstage bridge), south of the FOTLK and not really near the theater. Does anyone know what that building is? New merch for FOTLK?

jdmdisney99

In the video, with the current overhead view, there is a new building next to the east bridge off Discovery Island (currently a backstage bridge), south of the FOTLK and not really near the theater. Does anyone know what that building is? New merch for FOTLK?
Most likely

jt04

Might as well start a thread since the construction "officially" is under way. :)

As I understand it the new area is replacing Camp Minnie Mickey so that's what I've concentrated on. If they expand south into the open field I'll expand coverage on these and future images (if and when I get them).

First as a baseline, Camp Minnie Mickey in January 2013
Click to enlarge...

The site about a week after the official "ground breaking". Not much going on except Camp Minnie Mickey is closed.
Click to enlarge...

Related, here's the new Festival of the Lion King theater, due north of the old location. This shows a transition from 2013 to 2014 note: updated the video, the previous date captions were wrong

The new theater looks slightly larger. And with external theming. :)

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The new theater looks slightly larger. And with external theming. :)

Yes, it is a little bigger. I took the of the image of the new theatre from Scott's video and adjusted it so it was the same scale as the Google Maps image using the surrounding buildings as reference. Here is an image with them side by side.

Fotlk.jpg

themonkeyisthesultan

Lots of rumors going around that the site will end up being bigger than people think. There is talk that the perimeter road will be rerouted and the retention pond and some backstage buildings will be moved/removed.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Lots of rumors going around that the site will end up being bigger than people think. There is talk that the perimeter road will be rerouted and the retention pond and some backstage buildings will be moved/removed.

If that were to happen I doubt the current South Florida Water Management permit would be sufficient. We would probably see another permit filed for that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom