Avatar construction aerial updates

HauntedMansionFLA

That was my thought also. Makes sense as the coaster building would have been the most hidden of the three attractions and the two major attractions (simulator/coaster) would have been either side of the river ride.

Who knows, if we are lucky we might get the coaster one day (maybe if the Avatar sequels do well?) but I guess the chance of a Disney phase 2 is really about 1%!
Perhaps Cameron had it a contract that if the sequels gross this amount of money then the coaster would be built - just going out on a limb with no insider information.

BrianLo

There's a hunge chunk of space left unused befind the show buildings.
I'm guessing that's where the coaster was planned to go in.

I'm aware second phases don't happen, but any chance imaginners left it there with the hopes they'd build the coaster later?

View attachment 121000

There was talk that a power facility would occupy that space as per @danlb_2000, but it looks to me like that is being installed behind the boat building.

Yes, I think it is definitely an expansion pad. Which is somewhat meaningless when you consider how rife WDW has been with expansion pads.

Next Big Thing

There was talk that a power facility would occupy that space as per @danlb_2000, but it looks to me like that is being installed behind the boat building.

Yes, I think it is definitely an expansion pad. Which is somewhat meaningless when you consider how rife WDW has been with expansion pads.
I assume there will be a decent amount of backstage facilities there for CMs.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Yes, the central energy plant ended up being closer to the building then I expected.

njDizFan

There's a hunge chunk of space left unused befind the show buildings.
I'm guessing that's where the coaster was planned to go in.

I'm aware second phases don't happen, but any chance imaginners left it there with the hopes they'd build the coaster later?

View attachment 121000
So...what is the final word(for now) on what will be south of the e-ticket. That's about 1/3 of the area. That was for the proposed coaster area correct? Is that scheduled for a different phase or being repurposed for something different?

That was my question about 13 months ago, seems like a lost opportunity but I am still hopeful this land will impress

photoflight

Original Poster
Great to see You back again, Scott! Your fantastic aerials have been greatly missed.
Please, don't let us wait that long 'till the next batch.
(Nice to see Your "Hub"-morph. Still using PhotoMorph, or another prog?)
OBE

Nope... it's a simple fade from image to image using Sony Movie Studio. The actual camera position is only about 13ft off between the 2013 and the 2015 images. I didn't check the Animal Kingdom ones, but my tolerances are usually within 20ft.

OldBlueEyes

Nope... it's a simple fade from image to image using Sony Movie Studio. The actual camera position is only about 13ft off between the 2013 and the 2015 images. I didn't check the Animal Kingdom ones, but my tolerances are usually within 20ft.
Thanx, nice work! I'm doing one with Your Avatar pics (and 2 from PhotoMaps). Would You mind if I posted it?
OBE

ABQ

Late Nov' 2015

Click to enlarge...

Click to enlarge...

Could anyone explain what appears to be hundreds of little spikes sticking up from the rooftops of the large show building and the other smaller buildings to the east? Are these all lightning rods? sure seems excessive, but in FL, maybe not?

RayTheFirefly

Could anyone explain what appears to be hundreds of little spikes sticking up from the rooftops of the large show building and the other smaller buildings to the east? Are these all lightning rods? sure seems excessive, but in FL, maybe not?
Can't really tell what they are made of or how tall they are, but my guess would be that they are sewer vent pipes and lines going to and from the mechanical utility stuff (HVAC, etc.) that hasn't been installed yet. Could be mountain related, but it looks like they are perfectly symmetrical and look similar to ones I've seen before. They also go was farther back than would be necessary for mountains (I think). Granted, there are a LOT of them, but it is a huge building with a pretty unique function.

sedati

Probably for more floating mountains. You can see them in model.

I hadn't noticed until now, but there are two more floating mountains to the far right of the picture- I've checked some of the construction pics and there do seem to be some concrete footers there, similar to the ones the other "vines" are mounted to.

Rob562

I'm still wondering what the purpose of that gap between the rockwork/mountains and the show building is. Any ideas?

It's most likely a combination of ease-of construction/engineering calculations (give the mountain structure room to sway/flex if needed, and also why go to the trouble of integrating the two together when it isn't necessary), as well as providing for emergency exits on that side of the building that won't require people to exit through rockwork. Just exit on ground-level and walk down the alley between the building and the rockwork structure.

-Rob

dstrawn9889

It's most likely a combination of ease-of construction/engineering calculations (give the mountain structure room to sway/flex if needed, and also why go to the trouble of integrating the two together when it isn't necessary), as well as providing for emergency exits on that side of the building that won't require people to exit through rockwork. Just exit on ground-level and walk down the alley between the building and the rockwork structure.

-Rob
second all the above... no need to stress a structure that size with the added weight of all that rockwork, when it should be planned from foundation up as a free standing structure. Just like an exterior deck SHOULD be free-standing and not tied to your home (unless the structure was designed to have a deck sticking out of the side)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom