MerlinTheGoat

Finally. The drip feed is dripping again. The vista looks impressive thankfully.

I guess the third (big) ride is still under argument / discussion.

Now how about actually breaking ground?
Third ride!? Fascinating... Though that makes it sound like despite the concept art, the final plan still hasn't been entirely stamped and approved. That wouldn't be bad if it means we could get another ride. But it's also troublesome because it sounds like it could take even longer for them to start building. Not to mention if they're still arguing to try to make the expansion more impressive, then I wouldn't put it past the opposing financial guys to attempt to lower its quality as well before things begin getting built (even the things seen in the art). Or is the concept art what we know for sure is going to happen?

steve76

My thoughts:

- Avatar Land looks beautiful. I'm sure the E-ticket will be great but I'm more excited about the boat ride. My very first thought when I saw the concept art was that it looked somewhat similar to the concept art for the Fantasyland boat ride being built for Shanghai, where we were told that the final scene under the castle will have unique and novel light effects. Maybe there has been some synergy in their development.

- I didn't like the Avatar film, and don't really have much interest in seeing the sequels, so I hope they make the land "accessible" enough to those that haven't seen the films.

- I am excited about the night safari. I hope this represents a serious investment in the attraction rather than just an 'overlay'. With nocturnal animals and artificial moonlight (like AKL, or Singapore Night Safari) it could be amazing. However assuming they use live animals, preventing guests from using flash photography (which will disturb the animals) will be an absolute nightmare!

- The night show sounds great, but I wonder how it will work logistically. There aren't enough areas where you would get a good view - will we see some new viewing areas being put in? Or some of the foliage removed?

- Regarding the timing of the announcement, I don't see it as an issue really. Announcements for foreign parks have always been made at D23 expos - this is no different. And, although it excites us, these are announcements that, at this stage, will only be of interest to fan website and forums, so it doesn't really matter what time of day they are announced. If they were announcing a new park, then fine. But they released a couple of pictures about a project that has been in the works for 2 years, an extension to the opening hours of an existing attraction, and some very vague details of another nighttime show.

WDWLover#1

Looking at the beautiful concept art I'm all for avatar now. Was much bigger in scale and size than what I was expecting. Would make world of ahimsa floating rock baby size compared to this.
Really interested in the concept about the nighttime show. Live music and lanterns seems very peculiar. Also has no one else seen the fact were getting a nighttime version of Kilimanjaro safaris?

WDWLover#1

Anyone have an idea where they would stage the water show? The most logical place would be the big expanse of water in front of Everest. But with that comes pouring large asphalt viewing areas.

I'm also intrigued by a nighttime KS. I imagine it would not involve real animals since most (except for the lions) would be sleeping. And any light used to see nocturnal animals would be detrimental to them. What else could they roll out there at night?
In my understanding the night time show will be bases on discovery river

Disneyfan_76

statue.jpg

I don't know, those giant statues really seem to take away from the theme of the land ;)

AdventureHasAName

Then what the hell would you propose they add? Another lackluster Fantasyland expansion with ONE mediocre ride and interactive princess storytelling?

To Animal Kingdom? An animal-film-themed version of Fantasyland with four or five C-ticket darkrides (the Lion King, Bambi, Dumbo, Jungle Book, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, Ratatouille, the Princess and the Frog, etc) and at least one (maybe two if you can stretch the money) E-ticket omnimovers themed to "Beastly Kingdom"-style Earth-based mythological creatures (perhaps the Sphinx in Africa and the Dragon and/or Unicorn in the new Animal-Fantasyland).

Regardless, you won't get me to defend the MK Fantasy Forest expansion ... it was poorly conceived and the only part of it that excited me was the mine coaster that was thrown in post-backlash. The concept art was lush and green with water features and all I saw in January was concrete everywhere.

AdventureHasAName

And so the turning of the tide begins...

People are starved for anything new, particularly in this park. When they think about it for a day or two, they will remember (as they did when the land was first announced) that it:

1. Is focused on an intellectual property with no memorable characters that has already left the cultural consciousness (unlike Star Wars or Harry Potter), and
2. Its concept has nothing to do with a park centered on Earth animals - utilizing the same logic (its about another planet and they have some animals there and it kind of looks like a jungle) they could put an Ewoks or Chewbacca attraction in Animal Kingdom and it would make sense also. It does not.

It was a panic move at a time when Disney thought it had no intellectual property that appealed to boys. Panic moves rarely work out and, further, now they have plenty of intellectual property that appeals to boys that they own outright and are more popular than Avatar (Star Wars, Marvel, Indiana Jones). Their insistence on going ahead with Avatarland in Animal Kingdom is foolish. They should have just scrapped the idea and ate the investment cost ... or built a substantially downsized attraction/mini-land in DHS where it kind of, sort of fits.

andre85

1. Is focused on an intellectual property with no memorable characters that has already left the cultural consciousness (unlike Star Wars or Harry Potter)

Like Simpsons, and Song of the South. Or any number of other Disney rides that still hold up fine. And it does have 3 sequels on the way. Granted, they could bomb (though, more realistically, do just mediocre at worst), but they'll certainly put the franchise back in the public's eye. Besides, if the land's good enough, the strength of the IP won't matter at all.

2. Its concept has nothing to do with a park centered on Earth animals - utilizing the same logic (its about another planet and they have some animals there and it kind of looks like a jungle) they could put an Ewoks or Chewbacca attraction in Animal Kingdom and it would make sense also. It does not.

Cars Land also doesn't even take place in California. And yet, it still somehow fits in better than even Bugs Land. And their rumored upcoming Monster Land makes even less sense.

By those standards, Avatar Land has already been shown to make far more sense in at least matching the park's conservation theme (and seemingly heavily involving animals, even if fictitious ones).

Last edited:

MickeyPeace

People are starved for anything new, particularly in this park. When they think about it for a day or two, they will remember (as they did when the land was first announced) that it:

1. Is focused on an intellectual property with no memorable characters that has already left the cultural consciousness (unlike Star Wars or Harry Potter), and

It was a panic move at a time when Disney thought it had no intellectual property that appealed to boys. Panic moves rarely work out and, further, now they have plenty of intellectual property that appeals to boys that they own outright and are more popular than Avatar (Star Wars, Marvel, Indiana Jones). Their insistence on going ahead with Avatarland in Animal Kingdom is foolish. They should have just scrapped the idea and ate the investment cost ... or built a substantially downsized attraction/mini-land in DHS where it kind of, sort of fits.

I respectfully disagree with you on all points.

SirLink

Finally. The drip feed is dripping again. The vista looks impressive thankfully.

I guess the third (big) ride is still under argument / discussion.

Now how about actually breaking ground?

So what are the 3 then - boat ride but what about the other 2?

Clowd Nyne

I think since it was the first E3 in a Japan they wanted to have a big announcement for an American park. That way they pack the house with American tourists for the next E3 in that country. And while you're there go to Tokyo Disneyland and Disney sea, and don't forget your wallet.

WDWDad13

Anyone else beginning to think Disney is starting to turn the corner again...

Granted this is all going to take a few years but let's look potentially that is 5 years ahead

Disney springs
Avatarland or whatever they call it - major AK makeover
Star Wars land
And rumored Pixar expansion or lord of the rings who knows at DHS

Haven't seen any announcement yet in the DHS makeover but we all know it's coming in a big way down the road

I am NOT an avatar fan and had extreme doubts but after seeing this concept art and how they plan to do several things to enhance DAK I'm excited about it all now

SirLink

Anyone else beginning to think Disney is starting to turn the corner again...

Granted this is all going to take a few years but let's look potentially that is 5 years ahead

Disney springs
Avatarland or whatever they call it - major AK makeover
Star Wars land
And rumored Pixar expansion or lord of the rings who knows at DHS

Haven't seen any announcement yet in the DHS makeover but we all know it's coming in a big way down the road

I am NOT an avatar fan and had extreme doubts but after seeing this concept art and how they plan to do several things to enhance DAK I'm excited about it all now

Nope - I have no doubts they can create a beautiful land - the problem still is the content of the said lands, which I still don't know if they can do it.

matt9112

So to those of you casting pure negativity over...well anything WDW related don't you have better things to do with your time than waste in on something you clearly don't care about ;) besides all your ranting in raving has been heard in the numerous threads you very well dictate to yourselves as personal blogs...so see ya more park for me.

matt9112

Nope - I have no doubts they can create a beautiful land - the problem still is the content of the said lands, which I still don't know if they can do it.

Skill wise I highly doubt there is some newfound lack of creativity with what they can or can't do. It is highly likely rooted in upper management and has nothing to do with said "capability" of Disney parks.

SirLink

Skill wise I highly doubt there is some newfound lack of creativity with what they can or can't do. It is highly likely rooted in upper management and has nothing to do with said "capability" of Disney parks.

Oh I think there is some creativity bankruptcy in the halls of WDI. If the upper management gives you a budget of 100 million you should be able to do the unbelievable and I believe they have lost it. They can make things look beautiful and that is where the skill ends.

I don't know/care about Avatar, but like I've said from the beginning, a well imagineered product will stand on its own two feet. This announcement is promising, and I am cautiously hopeful about the finished product.

I also find it really interesting that the people that continually bash Pandora because its "theme" doesn't fit with AK, are the ones that are still championing Beastly Kingdome. Apparently some fantasy creatures/environments are more worthy than others.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom