Auto Opinions Needed

Dizknee_Phreek

Original Poster
miles1 said:
How about this! I'll come and live with your mom and she can insist upon buying me a new car! Mine is 11 years old. :lol: :lol:
:lol: Well, Mom and Dad aren't buying it, really. Just paying for it for two years...the rest will be on me. I'm still paying for Mom's van, so it's not like I'm completely getting a free ride (heh, no pun intended). Still, I am taking the lesser of the two payments...for now.

Dizknee_Phreek

Original Poster
WDWScottieBoy said:
Excellent choice on looking into the Hondas. You should seriously look into the Scions as well for a great price and an excellent car as well.
I talked to a dealer today (a friend of a friend...love those ;) ) So, Hondas seem to be out of my price range...to even get near the price I need, I'd have to go with the "basic, basic" model, meaning only AC and CD player...no power locks, no power windows. And power locks are a pretty big thing to me.
He did, however, show me some Scions and gave me a brochure. As luck would have it, he's one of two people in that company who can sell Scions. I'm kind of warming up to the xA model, and I really like the tC model, even though it's just a two-door (I hate two-doors, generally). So, I think I'm sticking with Toyotas at the moment, unless something else comes up. I'm going back Sat. with my sister to test drive a Scion and a Corolla, and then I guess I'll go from there :)

Moonshadow1

This decision will get easier the more cars you drive. When we start looking for a car, we take one weekend day and drive anything we find in our price range. Then lots of internet research on all models we find intresting. Common breakdowns, known problems, special care needs, extra pricey repairs. Recalls if you can find any. After you find a model you like find a used one to see what it will drive like in a few years. Try to avoid first years of models, they tend to have bugs and kinks needing to be worked out. As for specific models I don't have much advice, but all three of the cars I have owned have been vastly different. You get used to them in time. I went from a really large car to a convertible sports car to a luxury sports sedan, you adjust. Good luck.

Dizknee_Phreek

Original Poster
Moonshadow1 said:
This decision will get easier the more cars you drive. When we start looking for a car, we take one weekend day and drive anything we find in our price range. Then lots of internet research on all models we find intresting. Common breakdowns, known problems, special care needs, extra pricey repairs. Recalls if you can find any. After you find a model you like find a used one to see what it will drive like in a few years. Try to avoid first years of models, they tend to have bugs and kinks needing to be worked out. As for specific models I don't have much advice, but all three of the cars I have owned have been vastly different. You get used to them in time. I went from a really large car to a convertible sports car to a luxury sports sedan, you adjust. Good luck.
Thanks! :) That certainly helps!

WDWScottieBoy

Dizknee_Phreek said:
I talked to a dealer today (a friend of a friend...love those ;) ) So, Hondas seem to be out of my price range...to even get near the price I need, I'd have to go with the "basic, basic" model, meaning only AC and CD player...no power locks, no power windows. And power locks are a pretty big thing to me.
He did, however, show me some Scions and gave me a brochure. As luck would have it, he's one of two people in that company who can sell Scions. I'm kind of warming up to the xA model, and I really like the tC model, even though it's just a two-door (I hate two-doors, generally). So, I think I'm sticking with Toyotas at the moment, unless something else comes up. I'm going back Sat. with my sister to test drive a Scion and a Corolla, and then I guess I'll go from there :)

The xA isn't bad, if you don't mind the weird center instrument console and the VERY small/little engine.

If you like the tC you should really look into it. I know you said you could go without all the options, but if you look at what comes stock (standard) on it, it has the CD and all power options. Also, it's VERY nicely priced. I personally do NOT like two doors, but just about bought the tC myself. If I wasn't moving to FL and needing something bigger for the roads and whatnot, I'd be driving a tC right now.

And you said you're sticking with Toyotas...Scion is owned by Toyota so you KNOW you're still getting that same excellent car that they make. ;)

EpcoTim

I wouldnt recomend a xA or xB for the simple reason that, with the air conditioning on, the car becomes dangerously slow. I almost bought a B, til I test drove it. Theres no excuse for the lack of power, unless the car is getting 55mpg around town, which that thing doesn't

WDWScottieBoy

EpcoTim said:
I wouldnt recomend a xA or xB for the simple reason that, with the air conditioning on, the car becomes dangerously slow. I almost bought a B, til I test drove it. Theres no excuse for the lack of power, unless the car is getting 55mpg around town, which that thing doesn't

At least with the tC they basically got it down. It just took the first two (xA and xB) to get the kinks worked out. It doesn't have a power issue at all.

EpcoTim

The Tc is by no means quick, but its acceptable. The X series cars aren't. And Toyota has been building cars for decades, so it shouldnt take them two generations to get it right.

Dizknee_Phreek

Original Poster
Well, I went test driving today with my mom and my sister. I test drove a Corolla...I could tell it was Toyota only because it was quiet and fairly smooth...other than that, it was like just any other car, to me. I didn't like how sensitive the pedals were, either. I mean, I don't like the pedals to be somewhat sensitive, but not THAT sensitive.
I think I'm pretty much sold on a Scion xA, as is my sister, and my mom really liked it, too. It's smooth, it's quiet, and I was super excited just being in it. Of course, it set higher than I'm used to, but I didn't feel as weird as I did with the PT Cruiser. And, I added several cool things onto it just to see how much it would be monthly, and it came out the same as my Camry...the base price, with $2,000 down would be $261 a month; with the extras (LED lights under the dash, cup holder lights, XM satillite radio, fancier tail lights - all of which I may not get, I just wanted to see how much more it would be) made it $289 a month. The only problem I seemed to have with it is what you said, WDWScottieBoy...the center instrument console threw me off just a bit, but I'd get used to it, I think. I could care less how big the engine is...that kind of thing makes no difference to me. If it's reliable (and Scion is #1 on the consumer's reliability list for 2005...though I didn't look too closely at what the specifics of that list were, so it may be overall, or it may just be new models...not sure), smooth, quiet, gets good mileage, and can give me an enjoyable ride from points A to B, then I'm good.
I didn't check on a tC. They had one on the lot, but I hate two doors with such a passion that I've promised myself I'd never get one, so I'm sticking to that. I only liked it because I still wasn't sure I liked how the xA looked...but, like I said, it's grown on me, so the xA is definately the one out of the three that I'd get.
EpcoTim, I didn't notice the xA becoming slow at all while I was driving it, and the ac was going full blast, I was driving 60mph. The mpg is one of the best I've seen, so...
My sister is sold on the xA as well. She loves Mini Coopers and has wanted one for quite some time. But I let her drive the xA back to the lot, and she fell in love with it. And she thinks it looks a lot like a Mini. Plus, the dealer told us that the 2006 model will come with an iPod hookup, which she's been wanting since she got her iPod, so that definately sold her on the xA.

WDWScottieBoy

xA is an excellent model if you're not needing everything (which you've said you don't). The tC is an excellent car as well, but if you don't want a two door then you're fine (although technically the tC is a 3-door, so if you want to bring it back into the picture). :lol:

I think it wouldn't be hard getting used to the center console, so that shouldn't be a problem. Like I said, and you've noticed, the pricing is excellent. And with it being a Toyota car, it is one of the best. Your report proves that fact.

I also love MINIs and test drove one and was ready to get one as well, but for the same reason I didn't get the tC, I had to pass. I think the MINI is still a bit overpriced as well.

I hope it works out and you get the Scion! :D

Dizknee_Phreek

Original Poster
Thanks Scott! And mom just told me eariler that she wants me to decide on all the accessories, color, etc. that I want so then I can go ahead and get a Scion ordered. :D I didn't think I'd be excited no matter what car I chose, because I just didn't like having to give up the Camry (plus, the Camry's been the only car I've had, and I get easily attached and sentimental about things like that), but I'm actually excited about the xA!

sillyspook13

This sounds so much like my search for a new car several months ago..... :lol:

My family drives Hyundai or Toyota (with the exception of mom who drives a ford :dazzle: ). After looking at the Hyundai models, then Scion (love the gas mileage!), I finally decided on a Hyundai Elantra 5-door. Love that car! Not to mention, my dad is so jealous- he drives a bare-bones Accent. :)

Dizknee_Phreek

Original Poster
WDWScottieBoy said:
We want pics and know the specs on the xA you build! Congrats on the next step of owning a great car! :wave:
Again, thanks Scott! :D My biggest challenge now is to decide what color I want, which is proving to be quite difficult. It's between black , black cherry , or indigo ink (blue) (and another angle of the blue). The thing is, I have Pirates of the Caribbean license plates (heh, wonder if anyone's ever based what color car they get off a license plate?) so, none of them would look good on the blue - but the blue is pretty. I love the color black, but I still can't decide if I like it on the Scion, plus, I've been told that black is the hardest color to keep clean (as if my Camry ever stays clean - it's reddish, but it's pointless to wash it with all the coal trucks around). The black cherry is ok, but my Camry is very similar in color, so I don't know if I'd want another car in the same color.
*sigh* which color do you all like? I mean, of course, it's ultimately going to be my decision, but just out of curiosity, out of the three, which do you like?

EpcoTim

Dizknee_Phreek said:
EpcoTim, I didn't notice the xA becoming slow at all while I was driving it, and the ac was going full blast, I was driving 60mph. The mpg is one of the best I've seen, so...

I don't mean any offense, but any car that starts off with an 10.6 0-60 and finishes the 1/4 in 18.2 isn't really acceptable to me. Thats slower than most mini-vans and trucks. And its 31mpg rating is better than my 3, but its 37 highway isn't. I got a bit over 38 on a drive from Chicago to Detroit this weekend, with the air going doing about 85. And with that I've clocked a 15.8 qtr with an unbroken in motor. Of course, I paid about 7 grand more, but the point is still there. Just my opinion, nothing more.

Dizknee_Phreek

Original Poster
Well, just got off the phone, ordering my Scion...here's the specs:

Cup Holder Illumination
Scion Security with Remote Keyless Entry
Pioneer AM/FM/CD deck
LED Light Enhancements: Blue (they go under the dash - SO cool!)
Rear Spoiler

You can see pics of some of my chosen accesories here
And my sister found this picture, which happens to be the color I ordered (black cherry pearl) as well as the wheels :)

WDWScottieBoy

I love everything you picked out about the xA. The only thing I would've done differently is the color. All I see are the red and black ones. I've NEVER seen the indigo blue on an xA or rarely any of the other Scions. I was going to get the indigo blue on the tC, so I'm partial to that color. Anyways, I can't wait to see the pics once you get it. Congrats on a new car and an excellent one at that! :wave:

Dizknee_Phreek

Original Poster
cherrynegra said:
Hi Diznee, welcome to the Scion family!! :wave: I drive an xB and I love her!! And I love the colour of your xA. I have the same colour. Except I call it cherry negra. Thus the name don't you know. Hope she brings you lots of fun.
So THAT'S where your name comes from! I have my own names for mine..."Sirius Black Cherry", "the Black Cherry Pearl"....of course you have to be a Harry Potter or PotC fan to get those ;)

WDWScottieBoy said:
I love everything you picked out about the xA. The only thing I would've done differently is the color. All I see are the red and black ones. I've NEVER seen the indigo blue on an xA or rarely any of the other Scions. I was going to get the indigo blue on the tC, so I'm partial to that color. Anyways, I can't wait to see the pics once you get it. Congrats on a new car and an excellent one at that!
I debated with myself for, literally, DAYS about the color! I thought about black because I like black. I thought about black pearl because it's pretty. And the indigo ink is absolutely goregous, I'll agree with you there! But, the black was so plain looking on a Scion, and blue has never really been my color - it's my sister's color - but I just couldn't imagine myself in a blue car. I had reservations about the black cherry because at first I thought it was really close to my Camry's color. But then I went and looked at it again (the xB on the lot is black cherry) and realized that it's more purpleish than my Camry, and looks a bit black in the shade, so that's why I went with that.
Thanks again to everyone for all of your help, advice, and congratulations! :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom