August 21 Solar Eclipse

S 2

On August 21 of this year a total solar eclipse will be visible across much of the U.S. Central Florida will experience only a partial eclipse, but even so the sun will be up to 85-90% blocked for about an hour mid-afternoon. So, while it will not get completely dark, the afternoon will take on a very strange atmosphere.

Are any of you aware of any plans that Disney World is making for safe eclipse viewing on August 21? It would be AMAZING if guests were given souvenir Disney eclipse viewing glasses (those would be a major collectors item in my opinion). Or, do any of you recall witnessing a past solar eclipse while at Disney World? This is a very rare event!

Going to be in AK this day, the first day of my trip and I'm so pumped to see it fr this park!! I didn't think about it, but the safari WOULD be interesting to be on, also I wonder if they'll turn on the lights of pandor for that hour!?! 21 days!!!!

Cmdr_Crimson

This is for anybody whose curious to know what they will see when it happens....Also be prepared for weather conditions as well...
SolarEclipse650px.gif

Jeff456

Going to be in AK this day, the first day of my trip and I'm so pumped to see it fr this park!! I didn't think about it, but the safari WOULD be interesting to be on, also I wonder if they'll turn on the lights of pandor for that hour!?! 21 days!!!!
I'll be there on the same day looking forward to it!

drizgirl

For a 2 & a half minute eclipse? o_O
It is crazy. But once they start getting the idea that large numbers of kids will be out anyway (to watch with family) they really are better off to just close and add a day later in the year when everyone will be there.

Beacon Joe

That's the great thing about it: it'll be free for all! Seriously, an "eclipse viewing party" like the king that might be held at a science museum would be a cool thing to host in the center of Epcot or something.

Why on earth would Epcot host something of scientific interest?

What does that have to do with Marvel comic books, princesses, and annoying snowmen?

TikiTorch

Original Poster
It's only two weeks away now! All locations in the contiguous 48 states will experience at least a partial eclipse. WDW will experience 85-90 % obsucration between 2:00 and 3:00 PM. If you're in the parks that day, some cool photo opportunities may result if you have the proper camera filters. Remember, even when only 1% of the sun's disc is visible, it is still dangerous to look at!

GoofyJeff

We'll be at WDW, either at Epcot, or Boardwalk to meet up with friends who are staying with us for the week. I bought some of the NASA-recommended viewing things (not glasses, but cards with windows in them.) Hoping for clear skies!

TikiTorch

Original Poster
If WDW is anything like the public school I work in, the lawyers have advised against encouraging eclipse viewing at all, for fear that guests will look at the sun with unprotected eyes. That said, I'm sure plenty of folks there will come prepared and you'll see many wearing safety shades.

JohnD

I haven't seen anything about advertised viewing locations in WDW. It will only be a partial eclipse in Florida, so most folks will be going about their day as if it were any other day, more than likely. But if you've got some safe eclipse glasses in your pocket, you'll be able to view the eclipse in action from any spot in open sunshine.

Planet Hollywood Observatory? ;)

Hobnail Boot

I live in Charleston, SC. Our schools are closed on eclipse day because our infrastructure can't handle the extra traffic. We are expected to get as many as 300,000 people.
I live in Savannah and our schools are closed too... They say it's because schools will be getting out when the peak of the eclipse hits and they would rather children be more directly supervised during this time. Teachers still have to report to work, though. We're supposed to get a 98% eclipse here.

Surfin' Tuna

We are torn on staying local or trying to head up to SC or somewhere for the eclipse. It seems a lot of people here will be happy with 85%. Any of the other locals going to travel for it? I realize all the hotels are booked, but we have friends where we could stay for the night. I just worry about traveling up there and then finding clouds ruining the party.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom