August 21 Solar Eclipse

TikiTorch

Original Poster
On August 21 of this year a total solar eclipse will be visible across much of the U.S. Central Florida will experience only a partial eclipse, but even so the sun will be up to 85-90% blocked for about an hour mid-afternoon. So, while it will not get completely dark, the afternoon will take on a very strange atmosphere.

Are any of you aware of any plans that Disney World is making for safe eclipse viewing on August 21? It would be AMAZING if guests were given souvenir Disney eclipse viewing glasses (those would be a major collectors item in my opinion). Or, do any of you recall witnessing a past solar eclipse while at Disney World? This is a very rare event!

TikiTorch

Original Poster
That's the great thing about it: it'll be free for all! Seriously, an "eclipse viewing party" like the king that might be held at a science museum would be a cool thing to host in the center of Epcot or something.

asianway

On August 21 of this year a total solar eclipse will be visible across much of the U.S. Central Florida will experience only a partial eclipse, but even so the sun will be up to 85-90% blocked for about an hour mid-afternoon. So, while it will not get completely dark, the afternoon will take on a very strange atmosphere.

Are any of you aware of any plans that Disney World is making for safe eclipse viewing on August 21? It would be AMAZING if guests were given souvenir Disney eclipse viewing glasses (those would be a major collectors item in my opinion). Or, do any of you recall witnessing a past solar eclipse while at Disney World? This is a very rare event!
Saw one at TDL once!

TikiTorch

Original Poster
There are no safe eclipse viewing glasses. That includes welder goggles. Only safe way for extended viewing is to use the pin hole method with a pinhole in a piece of card stock and projecting onto a piece of paper.
I agree, for extended viewing. But NASA has recommended glasses from at least three certified manufacturers. They are fine for brief looks. I actually tested a pair out recently.

The Duck

Here ya go!
;]l,oijkl.jpe

TikiTorch

Original Poster
Kilimanjaro Safaris would be my choice of venue for this event. Hopefully subtropical rainclouds won't ruin it for us.
Not a bad idea. Animals do respond in strange ways during an eclipse, acting as they would at dawn or dusk mostly. It won't be a total eclipse at WDW, so I don't know how much unusual behavior you might see, but any of the animal experts at AK or AKL would probably be able to talk about that.

Smiley/OCD

There are no safe eclipse viewing glasses. That includes welder goggles. Only safe way for extended viewing is to use the pin hole method with a pinhole in a piece of card stock and projecting onto a piece of paper.
Unfortunately, I can see a guest(s) being stupid, staring at the eclipse for an extended period of time, sustaining eye damage, and suing Disney because it happened on property...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom