Attn: Cast Members

lcsrig

Original Poster
Is it really 'all that' being a cast member??? Are there more pros than cons?? Is it worth my while to quit a 12+ year teaching career to man a post or entertain a crowd of children! That's my passion!
Thanks for your responses!

BadTigger

I would not quit your current job. The cut in pay would be out of this world and not really worth it. What I would do which MANY MANY CM's do is wait till you can retire, retire on a nice pension and move to Orlando work two days a week so you don't get bored. You will have much more fun not worrying about paying bills and you get all the perks of being a CM. SO many people work there under the same thought go have fun but then it hits them that on that pay they can't pay bills and have to work a million hours which makes them unhappy

disneypearl

Have you thought about trying it out over the summer? That's what I would like to do. Could that be an option for you? I know how you feel about this.
:wave:

Wilt Dasney

I would think very long and hard before leaving a solid career to chase the pixie dust. The dream of working at Disney can often pale before the reality. Like the previous person said, CM's work for pittances. Factor in the possibility of having to be in Florida's stifling heat for a good part of the workday, the headache of dealing with guests who aren't very magical, and the mental fatigue that can come with having to be super cheery at all times, and it can come to feel like just another job real quick.

On the other hand, there are people who love Disney so much that just being there every day is enough to give them a boost. I'm not sure how you find out if you're one of those people without experiencing it, but I suspect you know deep down.

My suggestion: Look closely at all the negative aspects that come with being a CM and ask yourself if you TRULY believe that the magic itself is enough of a positive to outweigh all that. If you hesitate or aren't sure what the answer is, I'd stay put. :wave:

MMP

If you really want to work for Disney I might suggest finding a teaching job in the Orlando area and work summers and holidays for Disney until you retire.
If you have a family it would be hard to support them on what you would make at Disney, but if you're single it would be a lot less difficult and maybe worth the shot.

WishinUponAStar

After seeing this inquiry it made me wonder, if you are leaving a professional career with a university degree and professional experience to go work for Disney why would you be assingned to making nothing as as hourly CM? Wouldn't you be able to get a management position, etc. that is salary?

Do ALL people who come into Disney HAVE TO start at making hourly nothing?

cm1988

After seeing this inquiry it made me wonder, if you are leaving a professional career with a university degree and professional experience to go work for Disney why would you be assingned to making nothing as as hourly CM? Wouldn't you be able to get a management position, etc. that is salary?

Do ALL people who come into Disney HAVE TO start at making hourly nothing?
Here's a few notes on the many ways to work at Disney

Jobs are categorized different ways. One way is FT, CR, CT... Full Time with benefits, Casual Regular (part-time, limited benefits) and Casual Temporary (seasonal, limited benefits).

Another way jobs are categorized are Cast Member, Participant and Contractor; that is employee, employee with a company that has an ongoing contract with Disney... such as the ring maker at Mexico, and the glass makers at Germany, and the people selling balloons in the parks. Contractors are temporary workers in some a technical area; most are brought in by a limited number of contracting companies.

Yet another categorization is Hourly, O&T and Salaried. Most hourly cast (FT, CR or CT) start at pay that is typical for the kinds of work required... quick service (fast food) restaurants, merchandise (retail) sales, ride operations and custodial. Some O&T opportunities exist for experienced office workers. Occasional salaried opportunities are posted as well, but consider the odds. At one time, 1 hourly person in 4 was hired... I don't know what the ratio is now. I've heard that many years ago, 1 hourly person in 10, even 20 was hired. Thats probably more like the O&T hire rate today, though I am only guessing. That salaried hire ratio is rumored to be in the thousands.

With that in mind, many former teachers have opted to just take the salary cut and either enjoy a year or two in the lower-pay capacity before leaving the company... or take their chances at advancement. There are several advancement programs, and all are highly competitive.

When you take a huge pay cut during peak earning years, you are knocking the legs out from under your future career as well as life savings. If you don't save and continually compound interest, your material lifetime dreams are likely to remain just that.

If you say "I just want to enjoy life; do what I want; work where I want" and Disney holds a special place in your heart, I think the suggestion to take a summer sabbatical (which teachers probably can do) might be worth investigating. Disney does a lot of hiring for summer months.

Working for a summer at Disney you will also learn firsthand that the smiling people in those onstage roles are working very hard, in the heat, for their pay. It is fun and satisfying in many ways, and certainly WDW is a fascinating place in which to work. But caution, caution. There are many fascinating, meaningful places to work in this country. In shaping a career, try for evolution vs. revolution.

You could go this route, if it makes sense to you: Enjoy your visits to WDW; enjoy a prosperous career and visit often. Maybe take a 2 or 3 month sabbatical sometime and try it out.

PigletIsMyCat

Some of the O&T positions seem great. I'm hourly O&T, but still out in the field, and boy is it hot! But there seem to be good opportunities for full timers to advance, good enough to make me think of going full time! And the pay in O&T is not as bad as most hourly positions. I have friends in food and beverage who're full time and have been there for years (one of them three years) and I started as a casual regular hourly O&T and make considerably more per hour than them.

I agree with the idea of taking a sabbatical or summer vacation and trying it out. There are plenty of careers to be had at Disney, especially in O&T. And don't forget the benefits. If you're spending two months salary every year to visit Disney, the free passes, discounted merchandise, and proximity to the magic might be well worth the pay cut.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
I feel that as a teacher, you have a better chance to positively influence the kids.... many times more than a 1 time a year shot per kid as a CM.

Keep teaching...

cm1988

I feel that as a teacher, you have a better chance to positively influence the kids.... many times more than a 1 time a year shot per kid as a CM.

Keep teaching...

Very good thought, MKT. Teachers have a huge role in bringing about tomorrow. :sohappy: We at WDW... well, our job (onstage, backstage, whatever... and surely your years in entertainment, MKT) has been to "create happiness". That is, entertain; and in some cases to edu-tain.

Definately can be fun and often rewarding to be part of that.

As a personal mission, though, maybe pales in comparison to teacher, hospital worker, elder care worker, spiritual leader/worker, social worker, law enforcement, defense worker, public defender, fire/public safety officer... and many others.

The gal at the Narcoosee Publix checkout last night is doing as much good work as I ever did in parks merchandise or various roles since. Showed some great guest service; it could happen everywhere.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom