Attention: Canadians with a TiVo!!!

Hawk4255

Original Poster
Alrighty folks,

Last year, a show aired on the CBC on Dec. 17th, titled, "The Magical Gathering". It starred Colin Mockerie (of Who's Line Is It Anyway) and his son, as they went through Walt Disney World, Colin finding his inner child or what not.

Many people reported that it sucked.

I just wanted to see it because I was present for part of the tapings, but don't live in Canada, so I couldn't get tape it myself.

Much to my chagrin, I was unable to locate anyone on here who had taped it, so I never got to see it. But, as luck would have it, they are airing it again! This time, it is airing on:

December 25th, following the Queen's Christmas Day Message at Noon

So, here is my request, open to anyone, but geared at the TiVo tech heads in here:

Will someone PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE TiVo this for me? Then, could you send the file to me, so I can have a digital copy (this requires a Series 2 networked DVR and the TivoToGo program...if you are a tech nerd like me this will make perfect sense). If no one has a TiVo, could someone tape it for me at the best possible quality? I will pay whatever it takes to get it sent to me.

So, if any of you TiVo heads in our neighbor up north can get in touch with me about this, I would greatly appreciate it. You would rock! Hawk4255@aol.com, Hawk4255 for AIM, or PM me.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
TiVo not really in Canada

The TiVo is not really available in Canada. We can buy a machine and bring it here and then subscribe from here, but there are warranty problems and I think legal issues as well. [If there is someone who can assist you, then I'm wrong - it's been known to happen :lol:]

I can record the show for you, but you'll have to settle for VHS. PM me within the week prior to the show with mailing instructions and I'll take care of it. No point in PMing me before that - I'll forget! :hammer:

castlecake2.0

Thats how I know its almost Christmas is when the CBC starts airing its Christmas specials! My favourite has to be Rita McNiel's Christmas special:lookaroun (calm down im joking). I think one of the best one they show though is a Muppet's Christmas Carol, its soo funny.

TheOneVader

MontyMon said:
The TiVo is not really available in Canada. We can buy a machine and bring it here and then subscribe from here, but there are warranty problems and I think legal issues as well. [If there is someone who can assist you, then I'm wrong - it's been known to happen :lol:]

I can record the show for you, but you'll have to settle for VHS. PM me within the week prior to the show with mailing instructions and I'll take care of it. No point in PMing me before that - I'll forget! :hammer:

TiVo is available in Canada without legal issues, in fact, TiVo advertises it's availability in Canada. It's just that you can't get a replacement under warranty or even buy them up in Canada in the first place. You have to import them.

From TiVo.com:

Is the TiVo service available in Canada?
The TiVo Service is now available in Canada. Canadian residents will be given special instruction to follow when activating service. Please look for the link "Instructions for Canadian residents," under step 1 during the activation process.

TiVo does not sell boxes in Canada, so Canadian residents must purchase boxes in the US and import them. If the DVR becomes defective, TiVo will not ship a warranty replacement box into Canada, and will only ship to a US address.

Denscott

Hawk4255 said:
Alrighty folks,

Last year, a show aired on the CBC on Dec. 17th, titled, "The Magical Gathering". It starred Colin Mockerie (of Who's Line Is It Anyway) and his son, as they went through Walt Disney World, Colin finding his inner child or what not.

Many people reported that it sucked.

That's not a surprise, I think Colin is as funny as a swift kick in the groinage. Probably funded by the government's television fund for Canadian content and another good example of our tax money going to good use :brick:

The CTV Travel Channel had a special 1.5 hour show on in September all about WDW that was pretty good. It followed a woman and her family as they went to all four parks with her husband, 2 kids and mom.

It amazes me how much we actually miss out on product-wise in Canada compared to the States. Makes ya sick on how much is dis-allowed due to "Canadian content and heritage protection"...like if we are finally able to buy Tivos we'll suddenly drop our Tim's double-doubles and start drinking Starbucks grandes or something.

a2grafix

dandaman said:
:lol: It's like saying, "Attention: Americans with Tim Horton's!" :lookaroun

LOL ... you can say that again. Tim Horton's is pretty cool but word has it some of them might be closing up shop here in the states.

Hawk4255

Original Poster
Hey guys, thanks for the help.

Yeah, VHS certainly is better than nothing. I would greatly appreciate it. Only reason I wanted it on TiVo was because I am going to be making a DVD of it, and having the show in digital form would save me the trouble of importing the show from a VHS tape and losing some of the quality. But hey, beggars can't be choosers.

That said, if anyone out there has a TiVo and recieve the CBC (don't some northern US cities get it?), let me know :-D

Hawk4255

Original Poster
So, will anyone be able to help me out tomorrow morning? I'd greatly appreciate it!

Remember, it airs tomorrow morning December 25th, following the Queen's Christmas Day Message at Noon

If anyone can record it and send it to me, I would be very thankful. PM me or email me with any questions! (Hawk4255@aol.com)

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Hawk4255 said:
So, will anyone be able to help me out tomorrow morning? I'd greatly appreciate it!

Remember, it airs tomorrow morning December 25th, following the Queen's Christmas Day Message at Noon

If anyone can record it and send it to me, I would be very thankful. PM me or email me with any questions! (Hawk4255@aol.com)

I'm set to record it. Best I can do is VHS, but I'll record at the highest speed so you can hopefully get a reasonable digital copy.

I "technically" have the ability to record it digitally, I have a DVHS recorder. But my cable provider [Rogers] hasn't advanced enough for me to be able to physically do so! :brick: My cable box has all the connections, but they haven't updated the software to run them. [/rant]

bhg469

I just noticed that, living in buffalo i am fortunate to get canadian broadcasting!! Degrassi early and now this!!! unfortunately no TSN :(

bhg469

Done watching the program i have to admit it was pretty poorly produced but was entertaining. Dave Thomas made a cameo as a TOT CM. The little canadian kid was really annoying. Why do all canadian kids have stuffy noses? I'm not setting up fora punchline or anything i would really like to know.

Anyway it was great for a disney fix, got to see the park in something other than a travel channel special so that waas nice.

DisneyPhD

a2grafix said:
I can probably tape it as I get CBC Windsor here in Toledo.

Cross your fingers. VHS okay?

We looked for it last year (liveing in Detroit) but it wasn't one (or at least we never found it.)

I lucked out this year and it was on last week. I taped it, but missed the 1st 10 min. (it wasn't until after the 1st comerial that we decieded to tape it.) I thought the quailty of the feed wasn't good. It would not make a good DVD or transfer (we have cable, but not digital.) Most of our cable is fine, CBC isn't as good of a signal.

It was funny with some good park fotage. I really liked the music on it. (I have always like Canandain music.) The actuing wasn't great, but it was fun.

Was it actually on CBC yesterday? We wacthed the Christmas parade again and again.

I talked to someone who said they where there in May 2003 when it was taped.

Hawk4255

Original Poster
Hey all,

So, did anyone else get a chance to tape the whole thing? If so, get at me, I'd like to grab a copy from you.

And I have heard that it wasn't the greatest show in the world...well prepared for that :p. Just really want to see how the taping I saw came out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom