Attendence falls at WDW per lastest earnings release...

captainkidd

Yeah just like that 70s fantasy superstar series..ah dang what was the name...gah. STAR WARS that is it. Yeah, remember how that faded?

Eh, I don't see the 2 as a fair comparison. Star Wars has been around for 30+ years. Harry Potter is working on 10 years. Star Wars is universal (no pun intended). And the Star Wars films are MUCH more popular than Harry Potter films.

Unadjusted for inflation, the 6 Star Wars films sit at #4, #7, #12, #30, #32, and #43.
Unadjusted for inflation, the 6 HP films sit at #26, #35, #40, #44, #50, and #61. Keeping in mind, this is unadjusted and 3 of the first 6 Star Wars films came out 20+ years before the 1st Harry Potter.

Adjusted for inflation, the 6 Star Wars films sit at #2, #12, #15, #20, #58, and #85.
Adjusted for inflation, just the 1st 6 HP film is in the top 100, at #67.

It's really no contest.

What's even sadder - 2 of the 3 Twilight films have made more money than 5 of the Harry Potter movies. Just sayin'.

T-1MILLION

Actually it really is. A bias may say otherwise from fans of both but you give me another series that closely matches it. The point is...thinking that harry potter is a childstar fad is hilarious.

Its been around for nearly 14 years. You know it is going to be remembered long after the final movie is out. Next to Star Wars it is the biggest pop culture fiction phenomenon. Those making statements about it fading like its Hannah Montannah are in some serious denail.

The books have made billions,
the movie has made billions
the video games, toys, memorabilia...billions.

Its the closest comparison one can make to Star Wars as far as an IP.

I don't know what is more universal about Star Wars than the Potter stories. As a matter of fact Globally Potter is more succesful at the foreign box office than Star Wars is, even with inflation. Let's compare the fith Potter movie and the Sixth Star Wars movie that came out the very same year. Your universally appreciated comparison is really nonsense. Star Wars is popular everywhere, but FAR more American based. Potter is more global.

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=starwars3.htm

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=harrypotter4.htm

It is really showing with WDW's attendance down and Universal's international guest attendance way up.

PalisadesPkteer

Well I can say one thing for sure. I am going to IOA for a day in the upcoming trip and I am thinking of going to Sea World and / or Bush Gardens Tampa Bay as well.

So WDW is losing 1 day and maybe as many as 3 days from me.

The new FLE will help MK. But if Disney keeps ignoring Universal, well it may take a while but they will end up wishing they hadn't.

JimboJones123

So basically, after 8 pages, posters are either passionate that HP is partially affecting WDW numbers or not.

None will change their minds. Thus making this another pointless topic.

So sad that so many topics turn to who is more smarter.

googilycub

So basically, after 8 pages, posters are either passionate that HP is partially affecting WDW numbers or not.

None will change their minds. Thus making this another pointless topic.

So sad that so many topics turn to who is more smarter.

Don't forget the busses!:brick: Poor bus service is the reason for lower attendance:ROFLOL:. Those who think that HP is not a part of the reason for the decline in attendence at WDW are in denial. Those that think HP is affecting the attendance more than even 2 of the 6 percent that WDW lost are putting way too much faith in how much draw HP has.

tirian

Don't forget the busses!:brick: Poor bus service is the reason for lower attendance:ROFLOL:. Those who think that HP is not a part of the reason for the decline in attendence at WDW are in denial. Those that think HP is affecting the attendance more than even 2 of the 6 percent that WDW lost are putting way too much faith in how much draw HP has.

:ROFLOL:

No, it's not the buses' fault. People were saying that most guests, especially returning ones, notice the declining quality and service at WDW. The buses are just a symptom of a bigger problem.

Of course, the economy has a lot to do with it; but even with the recession, Universal is showing some good numbers.

T-1MILLION

Up is about the only direction it could go.

And I am sure you would say the same thing about DCA right? Thanks for summing up the bad class rep that wdwmagic fans get unfairly. After a thought out factful post from many, that is what you quote and point out. Numbers were low and I agree, when you don't add anything worthy that is what you are gonna see happen. So your post also speaks to what is happening and what is likely gonna keep happening to WDW

It also shows how much thought you knew before posting what you did. As Universal's UK and international attendance was far higher than its state based attendance percentage wise.

Everyone should probably note the email from Iger as others have said. Read it through and see how you feel about the attention WDW is or isn't getting.

JWG

Well, in my humble opinion, given that WDW is the largest tourist park of all Disney properties and that they're trying to scale back discounts, I'd expect attendance to falter faster at WDW.

I don't think it's because of any great thing elsewhere or bad thing in FL, or even Harry Potter. I think WDW has fewer repeat guests to begin with and they're currently not as incented to go there. That's probably to simple of an opinion that doesn't give HP enough credit.

Clever Name

The decline in WDW park visitation and resort stays can be directly traced back to the demise of the Magic Kingdom Club back in 2000.

captainkidd

Actually it really is. A bias may say otherwise from fans of both but you give me another series that closely matches it. The point is...thinking that harry potter is a childstar fad is hilarious.

Its been around for nearly 14 years. You know it is going to be remembered long after the final movie is out. Next to Star Wars it is the biggest pop culture fiction phenomenon. Those making statements about it fading like its Hannah Montannah are in some serious denail.

The books have made billions,
the movie has made billions
the video games, toys, memorabilia...billions.

Its the closest comparison one can make to Star Wars as far as an IP.

I don't know what is more universal about Star Wars than the Potter stories. As a matter of fact Globally Potter is more succesful at the foreign box office than Star Wars is, even with inflation. Let's compare the fith Potter movie and the Sixth Star Wars movie that came out the very same year. Your universally appreciated comparison is really nonsense. Star Wars is popular everywhere, but FAR more American based. Potter is more global.

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=starwars3.htm

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=harrypotter4.htm

It is really showing with WDW's attendance down and Universal's international guest attendance way up.

I wasn't the one who said it's a "childstar fad". I'm just saying, it's not nearly as big as Star Wars. As for another series, Lord Of The Rings.

What do you think would happen if Disney opened an entire land based on Star Wars, as opposed to one boring motion simulator attraction?

But, this is where the difference between Universal and Disney lies. Universal is willing to gamble and spend money. Disney isn't.

Atomicmickey

I believe the decline is directly attributable to the decline.

If it continues, it will continue.

They need to do something about it, or else nothing will be done about it!

This isn't just my opinion, it's also my opinion.

kapeman

My point being, if Mike and Frank could resurrect this company when there was little to no cash to work with, beyond the partnerships, increased parks and resort pricing and cost cutting initiatives they undertook, current management should be able to catapult this company to levels beyond imagination.

I think you grossly overestimate the ability of the current TDO management.

Could someone do what you say, yes, absolutely!
Will the current team? I seriously doubt it.

Eh, I don't see the 2 as a fair comparison. Star Wars has been around for 30+ years. Harry Potter is working on 10 years. Star Wars is universal (no pun intended). And the Star Wars films are MUCH more popular than Harry Potter films.

Someone beat me to it, but you also forgot about the books.

As much as I love Star Wars, it has had nowhere near the effect on kids and their reading habits as the Harry Potter series.

Just about anything that gets kids to read is a good thing in my book (pun intended!).

janoimagine

People were saying that most guests, especially returning ones, notice the declining quality and service at WDW. The buses are just a symptom of a bigger problem.

Exactly, I for one noticed several things at the Wilderness Lodge this October that in years past would have not been allowed. Things like trash, (not a little a lot, which is nothing more than a useless guest being lazy) in Silver Creek Falls, as well as a large buildup of brown scum (like waste water) it was like it on day one of our trip and still like it at checkout on day nine. A missing lantern on the post with exposed wiring hanging out, and a couple of burned out bulbs on the dock that were not fixed the entire time. No background music from the bus stop to the side entrance (they fixed this our second to last day). I realize technical difficulties do happen, however they should be addressed and fixed in a timely manner, Disney of the past would not let show elements like this suffer, the Disney of the present does, and I worry the Disney of the future will continue to slip backwards if things do not turn around.

lightning509s

Original Poster
I think you grossly overestimate the ability of the current TDO management.

Could someone do what you say, yes, absolutely!
Will the current team? I seriously doubt it.

Apologies, perhaps I wasn't clear enough on my statement. I have utmost contempt for current TDO management! What I was referring to was the team of Robert Iger, Tom Staggs and John Lassetter.

I believe I read somewhere (possibly "Miceage.com) that major changes to current TDO management was coming in the very near future, but please don't quote me on that as I cannot find any concrete evidence to back this statement up. Would be great if it were to happen!

Why Senior Disney management ever chose to put the head of personnel in charge of the entire WDW complex is completely baffling!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom