Attendance: Cast vs Tourists

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
... while some never visit because they couldn't care less.
That always blows my mind. If you don't LOVE the place, there's not much reason left to work there. Yet, a lot of folks I worked with hadn't spent free time in the parks for YEARS.

BrightImagine

I disagree.

As a paying guest, it was nice not being in a wall-to-wall environment with 5000-10000 CPs. It was very relaxing and easy to get around and actually do things.

Of course, guests come first. But if there had been more than a week's notice, then one might have had a chance to budget tickets for it. On the day before weekend 4 we learned that the calendar had changed. Disappointed child, disappointment all around.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
Of course, guests come first. But if there had been more than a week's notice, then one might have had a chance to budget tickets for it. On the day before weekend 4 we learned that the calendar had changed. Disappointed child, disappointment all around.

With all due respect, you have to be näive to think that Disney wouldn't black out Cast for a 50k projected day. Especially if they blacked out MK for the 24 hour day, they would naturally black out cast for Mark Hamill.

Cast was allowed in for Friday, just no maingates.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
Some things to consider:
1) A healthy majority of frontline CMs are there on the College Program, and they will milk their park passes for all they are worth. On my CP, I probably spent about 1/3 of my days off in the parks.
2) A lot of CMs in the park probably came in through the cast entrance which, unless you're just hanging out before or after your shift, you're really not supposed to do. So these folks do add the the crowd, but do not add to the turnstile count.

Yes, I know of several that did that during the 24 hour day last month.

WDWJenn09

Perhaps I can offer another perspective. My husband works for a Disney owned company outside the State of Florida. He is offered free admission for himself and his family as a perk. However, the are block out dates and the block out dates are plenty! Albeit most of it the MK. Almost the entire summer has been blocked out for MK, including every special event (24 hour, etc.) also Star Wars weekends, and most of the high seasons such as spring break time, Christmastime, etc. You get the idea. Now, how would a family who needs to travel during the periods when school is out of session be able to use this perk. It's becoming nearly impossible because we live a plane ride away and don't have the luxury of popping down on unblocked day at a whim. So a perk my husband gets, that he may use once every two years, has so many restrictions on it he can barely use it at all. He's been with this company for 10 years and personally, I think he deserves to use the perk when he can. I understand there are people who may abuse it who live locally and that causes problems for paying customers but it's not one size fits all. CM do deserve the right to use the perk that they work hard to get.

Mad Stitch

IMO this is the next shoe to drop.....Disney cutting back more and more on main gate passes and CM discounts. NO it wont be all at once. It will be another case of "declining by degrees"

Only if your a CM. Otherwise it's a benefit by freeing up the parks for the people who pay for them.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
Perhaps I can offer another perspective. My husband works for a Disney owned company outside the State of Florida. He is offered free admission for himself and his family as a perk. However, the are block out dates and the block out dates are plenty! Albeit most of it the MK. Almost the entire summer has been blocked out for MK, including every special event (24 hour, etc.) also Star Wars weekends, and most of the high seasons such as spring break time, Christmastime, etc. You get the idea. Now, how would a family who needs to travel during the periods when school is out of session be able to use this perk. It's becoming nearly impossible because we live a plane ride away and don't have the luxury of popping down on unblocked day at a whim. So a perk my husband gets, that he may use once every two years, has so many restrictions on it he can barely use it at all. He's been with this company for 10 years and personally, I think he deserves to use the perk when he can. I understand there are people who may abuse it who live locally and that causes problems for paying customers but it's not one size fits all. CM do deserve the right to use the perk that they work hard to get.

I think you misunderstand the point. I am certainly not saying that cast member should be blacked out. Just a little more expecting capacity crowds… Like if luke skywalkers coming. And rightfully it was blacked out because you've got all of these little college program kids that would just make the place a disaster for the regular guests.

But beyond that, I'm just wondering exactly what the percentage of the guest Population is made up of cast?

This is all based off the observations from the studios and this past weekend

dadddio

Sure. CMs have every right to use the perk. That being said, you have to define the perk appropriately. The perk is not 'free admission to MK'. It is 'free admission to MK on specific dates'.

Kman101

Can't they simply tier the blackout dates for cast? Be a little more flexible on the dates for the longer running cast members and be a bit more strict on the blackout dates for the CP's? Basically, the longer you work there, the more perks you have, and as a CP, you have a bit more restrictions.

asialeigh

Can't they simply tier the blackout dates for cast? Be a little more flexible on the dates for the longer running cast members and be a bit more strict on the blackout dates for the CP's? Basically, the longer you work there, the more perks you have, and as a CP, you have a bit more restrictions.

In a way they already do this. CPs and seasonal CMs can only get family in 6 days a year. Part time and full time can 16 days a year.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster

These blackout dates are rare. To have two events in two weeks has not occurred in recent memory.

There's no real need for it, unless it's a marketed event when you're expecting huge crowds as it is.

WDWFigment

I can see both sides to the debate that has sprung up, and ultimately I think it comes down to an issue of respect.

I think everyone, or most everyone, can understand that reasonable blockout dates on Cast Member entry are acceptable. What's not acceptable is giving insufficient advance notice. Disney knew that Mark Hamill was coming to Star Wars Weekends months ago, and should have immediately blocked out the date once he was booked. Now, you can say that they didn't have attendance projections then, but it doesn't take a statistician to tell you that Mark Hamill is popular with Star Wars fans. Better to err on the side of caution, block the date out immediately, and then later announce a lifting of the blockout if projections show it to be unnecessary. People would rather be pleasantly surprised by an 'added' perk than disappointed that something they were counting on is yanked away at the last minute.

Anyone who has ever had their plans changed as a result of last-minute changes by Disney (bonus points if you first learned about your plan changes from the internet, before Disney contacted you), should be able to empathize with this.

As a general rule, I am all for Disney giving Cast Members as many perks as possible, especially when those perks have low-cost or no-cost to Disney. Deep discounts on unfilled rooms, cruises, event party tickets, and more are great. Sneak-peaks at new offerings, preview events, etc., I think all are great. Most of these things have little cost, too. (Unfilled rooms are perishable, so why not offer them to Cast?) Disney does this fairly well already, but I think there's room for improvement.

I think the more perks Disney offers like this, the more it will attract people with a passion for the product or, at the very least, it will encourage those who may have a borderline interest to take advantage and increase their product knowledge. Plus, it's good for morale.

At the same time, I think a set-in-advance number of blockout dates for the busiest days of the year is also reasonable. Giving the attendance a bit of breathing room on these days improves the guest experience. "Compensate" for these blockout days by trying to offer more of the discounts and perks.

To me, this is win-win-win. Disney benefits by attracting better employees with minimal expense. Guests win because the Cast as a whole is better and more passionate about what they're doing. Cast Members win by having better perks and having a sense that they are being treated with respect by the company for which they work.

The Crafty Veteran

Is this a serious thread or just another weak backhanded excuse to try to explain why Disney parks in Florida keep increasing in attendance?

As for CM's being blacked out, I believe they should be for any and all hard ticket special events. If I drop 70 bucks for an exclusive event I should not have to share a queue with someone who did not pay to get in. Even if they work there. But I also believe CM's should be able to be in the parks 365 days of the year for free because that's a perk for employment. They shouldn't have to suffer blackout dates, that's a little ridiculous.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom