Attendance: Cast vs Tourists

natatomic

As for CM's being blacked out, I believe they should be for any and all hard ticket special events. If I drop 70 bucks for an exclusive event I should not have to share a queue with someone who did not pay to get in. Even if they work there. But I also believe CM's should be able to be in the parks 365 days of the year for free because that's a perk for employment. They shouldn't have to suffer blackout dates, that's a little ridiculous.

I don't know of any hard ticket event that all CMs get into for free. I have heard that some GR and concierge CMs might get a ticket to a Halloween or Christmas party, but that is a very small percentage of CMs spread out over many parties. Other CMs get, I dunno, a 10%? 20%? discount on those tickets, but few want to shell out that much money for a park they already can enter for free almost every other day of the year. The ones who usually spend the money are - you guessed it! - CPs. Lol.

Figment2005

I don't know of any hard ticket event that all CMs get into for free. I have heard that some GR and concierge CMs might get a ticket to a Halloween or Christmas party, but that is a very small percentage of CMs spread out over many parties. Other CMs get, I dunno, a 10%? 20%? discount on those tickets, but few want to shell out that much money for a park they already can enter for free almost every other day of the year. The ones who usually spend the money are - you guessed it! - CPs. Lol.
Correct! CP's spend a lot of money during their programs. It tends to be the consensus that CP's are underpaid and under appreciated but they are college kids. If they weren't in Disney working, they would be in college... working. Not to mention that a large chunk of those in the program have full financial support from there parents. They may have a lot taken from their paychecks for rent and so-on but only a small percentage actually depend on that check to survive. This is why CP's are able to spend so much time, and money, in the parks.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Sure. CMs have every right to use the perk. That being said, you have to define the perk appropriately. The perk is not 'free admission to MK'. It is 'free admission to MK on specific dates'.

No, it's free admission to the MK with the abilty for the company to create exceptions.

If it were as you described, they'd have a list of dates they'd promise - but they don't do that. They have a perk that can be suspended on the whim of the company.

WDF

No, it's free admission to the MK with the abilty for the company to create exceptions.

If it were as you described, they'd have a list of dates they'd promise - but they don't do that. They have a perk that can be suspended on the whim of the company.

I worked in a movie theater in high school and college, one of the perks was "free movies"...and it operated in basically the same way, i.e. if the theater was expected to be crowded, you were not allowed to use your "perk," but there were no set "blackout" dates.

Mouse_Trap

Do the blockout dates just apply to CMs bringing people with them or are they blocked out as well (on their own) too?

If they entered via the staff entrances, can management identify those entering who aren't due to go on shift?

tirian

Last year, the MK was blocked out for CM Main Gate tickets almost every day from mid-spring through the winter. The annual Christmas ticket was only good for Wednesdays. Someone in TDO decided the unfinished FLE would attract crowds so huge that CMs couldn't be allowed in the MK.

It was a slap in the face to CMs who saw the MK perfectly manageable on most days.

Only two things annoy me about CMs in the park:

(1) Off-duty entertainment CMs that talk to their friends in parades and get special attention. (Why hasn't management forbidden this yet? It's extremely bad show!)

(2) Loud, know-it-all CPs who spout incorrect facts as they walk throughout the parks and take it upon themselves to "help" (read: annoy) guests who really just want to be left alone. Bonus points if you're trapped in a monorail car with these CPs.

Other than that, the CMs tend to blend into the crowds. Guests wouldn't be able to enjoy the World if CMs didn't do a great job; the CMs deserve to enjoy the parks!

tirian

Do the blockout dates just apply to CMs bringing people with them or are they blocked out as well (on their own) too?

If they entered via the staff entrances, can management identify those entering who aren't due to go on shift?
It's pretty obvious. Those on duty usually wear their costumes into work.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
Is this a serious thread or just another weak backhanded excuse to try to explain why Disney parks in Florida keep increasing in attendance?

As for CM's being blacked out, I believe they should be for any and all hard ticket special events. If I drop 70 bucks for an exclusive event I should not have to share a queue with someone who did not pay to get in. Even if they work there. But I also believe CM's should be able to be in the parks 365 days of the year for free because that's a perk for employment. They shouldn't have to suffer blackout dates, that's a little ridiculous.

Yes it's a serious threat as I'm curious how much of the attendance cast members make up.

And no, I'm not interested in blacking them out.

Maybe this is the wrong thread for this, but I was wondering about the passes the CMs receive. Someone mentioned earlier about a "silver pass"???? Are there different levels of passes for certain employees and how are they divided?

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
Maybe this is the wrong thread for this, but I was wondering about the passes the CMs receive. Someone mentioned earlier about a "silver pass"???? Are there different levels of passes for certain employees and how are they divided?

Yes. Managers have a silver pass that allows almost unlimited main gates a year.

tirian

Keep in mind, Blackout dates for Maingates and Cast IDs have been very rare until recent.
Correct. They've also been changing frequently for the MK based on expected crowd patterns. This makes it impossible for CMs to plan family trips and is completely unfair.

Incidentally, a few days ago the blackout was lifted for late July into August. Yep, this entire summer was originally blacked out at the MK! WDW never did this in the past except for major holidays.

cheezbat

Single digits? seems low to me. If I am not mistaken I think I have read that on an average day there are 100,000 visiting the parks each day. If it is say 5%, that's a mere 5,000 Cm's and or their guest in the park. If the average CM brings in 1 guest the number of actual CM would be cut in half. 2,500 CM's in the park at any given time? That seems really low.

You do realize that means they account for 900,000-1.9 million clicks per year then? That's still pretty significant in the overall scheme of things.

John

You do realize that means they account for 900,000-1.9 million clicks per year then? That's still pretty significant in the overall scheme of things.

Yup, I get that. I still think the number is low and why I think some sharp pencil guy will look at those numbers and say " we are giving away to much product" and suggest cutting some of that perk.

Jakester

Yes it's a serious threat as I'm curious how much of the attendance cast members make up.

And no, I'm not interested in blacking them out.
I would guess that on an average day you don't see a horrible amount of CMs in the parks. But when Disney does special events (Studios25,Villains,OMDD, ect) I would estimate that it's got a chunk of CMs as part of attendance. Personal observation from the Studios 25th was I saw more off duty CMs from Studios that day then more tourists when the evening came

MarkTwain

I would guess that on an average day you don't see a horrible amount of CMs in the parks. But when Disney does special events (Studios25,Villains,OMDD, ect) I would estimate that it's got a chunk of CMs as part of attendance. Personal observation from the Studios 25th was I saw more off duty CMs from Studios that day then more tourists when the evening came

...and then the cast members (particularly those that work in that park and have a special connection to the place) end up buying tons of merchandise while they're in the park. I bought $100 worth of anniversary merch during Epcot's 30th (after my cast discount), probably quite a bit more than any average guest that just happened to find themselves at Epcot that day, unaware it was an anniversary. I also took a lot of dates to expensive restaurants around World Showcase and Hollywood Studios. Cast members aren't just employees draining Disney's resources by exploiting a perk; many have a special connection to the place and act on those feelings with significant spending back to the company. For Disney to turn around and mistreat their cast could end up hurting Disney in more ways than one.

WDWJenn09

Yes. Managers have a silver pass that allows almost unlimited main gates a year.

Silver passes are not only for managers but are for a certain level of employees (WDW and other Disney affiliates) and it's not unlimited access because those passes are subject to the block out dates. Now there probably is another type of pass for executives that have no block out dates but it's not the silver pass because that's what my husband has and it's subject to all the block out dates I was referring to in an earlier post.

WDWJenn09

Correct. They've also been changing frequently for the MK based on expected crowd patterns. This makes it impossible for CMs to plan family trips and is completely unfair.

Incidentally, a few days ago the blackout was lifted for late July into August. Yep, this entire summer was originally blacked out at the MK! WDW never did this in the past except for major holidays.

Uh, not for silver passes. I wish it were....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom