Attempted Rape at Pop Century

This is pretty sad.
I agree about the All Star Resorts though. Im a 27 year old male, not a small one by any means, and Ive walked to my car at night at the All Stars, and been cautious and looking in all directions, because it was so dark and didnt "feel" safe.

JimboJones123

I've been to 3 of the 4 value resorts. None is well let at night. They do put those drapes up in windows for a reason.... Why not light the heck out of the place. There are some VERY DARK corners at EACH resort. If you aren't there on a Friday or Saturday, these places can be VERY SCARY after dark. Especially when the resort is at 25-30% capacity on a Tuesday night and they throw you in the back corner of the 70s building for your 11 night stay. Even the trip to the lot from the closest 80s building can be weird when there are no other people in site.

They have gotten MUCH better at the gate check ins though. Most nights they check card or ID now, where a few years ago they didn't.

I have a feeling this could pave the way for resort ID checks for busses.

banimall

It's too bad that this story didn't coincide with the one from last week where the lady from PA brought her piece to the World. That would have made for an interesting read "Attempted attacker get's capped at the Pop"

You can't feel safe anywhere anymore, it's a shame.

macsmom

For my part-time job, I leave the house at 5 a.m. Lately, there was a man walking a dog who no one in the neighborhood remembers or knows, etc. Now, he has disappeared. Makes you wonder if he was casing out the place. Also, when I am by myself and before I get in the car, I have a boxknife or something with me. I figure I might get hurt if I am not careful, but at the same time, the police are going to know who attacked me because I will get him too...hopefully. I know it can get turned around on attackers/attackees.

danna

minnie61650

A guest staying at Walt Disney World's Pop Century resort narrowly avoided being raped last Friday evening, according to the Orange County Sheriff's Office. The woman was walking about 5:50 p.m. on a path when a man pushed and knocked her to the ground in 4-feet-tall bushes. The man immediately reached into the pockets of her shorts and snatched her room key, states an incident report released on Tuesday.

Details of how the woman escaped have not been released.

She returned to her room about 6 p.m. but could not open the door because her key had been bent in the attack. She alerted her husband sleeping inside by screaming and pounding on the locked door, the report states.[/QUOTE]

The two bolded lines above seem to conterdict each other.
Who helped her get the key back?
Why didn't whoever helped her get the key back help her get help?
Was she able to take the key back from the attacker?
Just my 2 cents.

LoveDoc143

The two bolded lines above seem to conterdict each other.
Who helped her get the key back?
Why didn't whoever helped her get the key back help her get help?
Was she able to take the key back from the attacker?
Just my 2 cents.

The Orlando Sentinel report is wrong. It wasn't "immediate" that the card was taken, it was after another event. The card was taken by the attacker and was crushed (read - bent up) for whatever reason, then dropped to the ground.

Therefore, nobody helped her get the key back - and therefore nobody was there to help. She was able to get the key back by picking it up as the attacker ran off.

Timmay

You read my mind Monty. I am not trying to minimize the attack in any way, but nothing other than the headline leads you to believe the attacker intended to rape her.

Actually, there is a rather big clue that this incident was a possible sexual assault...$ex crime units don't usually waste their time with simple assaults or attempted robberies.

echoscot

The Orlando Sentinel report is wrong. It wasn't "immediate" that the card was taken, it was after another event. The card was taken by the attacker and was crushed (read - bent up) for whatever reason, then dropped to the ground.

Therefore, nobody helped her get the key back - and therefore nobody was there to help. She was able to get the key back by picking it up as the attacker ran off.

That makes a little more sense about the keycard...but who scared off the attacker? I mean if rape was his intent, I don't get it. I still think there's more to this story than we've been told. And I don't think it's all the media's fault. (I'm selling out here I guess)

I think the girl's story has some holes in it in the first place, and for confidentiality the Sheriff is withholding info in order to try to find the assailant.

LoveDoc143

That makes a little more sense about the keycard...but who scared off the attacker? I mean if rape was his intent, I don't get it. I still think there's more to this story than we've been told. And I don't think it's all the media's fault. (I'm selling out here I guess)

I think the girl's story has some holes in it in the first place, and for confidentiality the Sheriff is withholding info in order to try to find the assailant.

The woman's story doesn't have holes - the published article that you read in a Newspaper that slanted the police report has holes. What scared off the attacker and what descriptively happened in that ten minute gap between 5:50p and 6:00p was not released for a specific reason. Also, never in the police report does it say "attempted rape" as it says "attempted groping" .. but "grope" doesn't give enough attention as "rape" when it comes to Disney properties. Look how much attention it's gotten just because of one vile word - a word that doesn't have ANYTHING to do with this incident.

Can we (everybody) please just think about all of this for a second if we're going to take the time to post something. A few people have stated that what they read didn't make sense and has too many holes (or just flat out the woman is lying). Would the s3x crimes unit STILL be investigating something that YOU ALL figured out from a slanted newspaper report, was "full of holes"? I'm not trying to tick anybody off here ... but don'tcha think there's more to the report then what this newspaper printed? The police have been investigating this incident for nearly a week now and if it was so full of the holes some of you proclaim it to be, they wouldn't be wasting their time and the woman (and her husband) would be arrested.
For the other people who say "it's a fake report to get free money from Disney like other tourist areas" .. note the hotel offered a free upgrade to a Deluxe resort which was turned down. Free food and beverages - also turned down. If they were up for "free grabs" on the whim of a "fake story" - none of what was just stated would have happened.

Logic ... can we have a bit more of it please.

echoscot

The woman's story doesn't have holes - the published article that you read in a Newspaper that slanted the police report has holes. What scared off the attacker and what descriptively happened in that ten minute gap between 5:50p and 6:00p was not released for a specific reason. Also, never in the police report does it say "attempted rape" as it says "attempted groping" .. but "grope" doesn't give enough attention as "rape" when it comes to Disney properties. Look how much attention it's gotten just because of one vile word - a word that doesn't have ANYTHING to do with this incident.

Can we (everybody) please just think about all of this for a second if we're going to take the time to post something. A few people have stated that what they read didn't make sense and has too many holes (or just flat out the woman is lying). Would the s3x crimes unit STILL be investigating something that YOU ALL figured out from a slanted newspaper report, was "full of holes"? I'm not trying to tick anybody off here ... but don'tcha think there's more to the report then what this newspaper printed? The police have been investigating this incident for nearly a week now and if it was so full of the holes some of you proclaim it to be, they wouldn't be wasting their time and the woman (and her husband) would be arrested.
For the other people who say "it's a fake report to get free money from Disney like other tourist areas" .. note the hotel offered a free upgrade to a Deluxe resort which was turned down. Free food and beverages - also turned down. If they were up for "free grabs" on the whim of a "fake story" - none of what was just stated would have happened.

Could we also have a little more politeness. I'm sorry that I didn't have access to the police reports. You could have addressed that in a much better way.

I certainly didn't say she was trying to get freebies from Disney. That is no where even implied in my remarks, perhaps in the remarks of others but I don't think that was the case. I just didn't understand where the discrepancy lay, and if you had read my initial post, I stated quite clearly that I believed the Sheriff report had withheld information deliberately in order to capture the assailant. That's what they do.

So if maybe you would just say "hey, this is how I saw it. Here's some info you might have missed or not understood when you read it" That helps everyone get along a lot better:animwink:

LoveDoc143

There was no rudeness involved in my statement - just fact. I didn't not say any one person (ie - you) made any comments. I was equating the whole thread to my one post.

If anything, it was rude to call me out directly when I never called anybody (read - you) out at all. I know what you said and my post was not a direct reply to yours .. just one part of a comment you made that was shared by others.

And for the record - my view is a lot different from anybody else's in this thread - and the other similar threads scattered across the 'net right now. Reason - withheld.

echoscot

There was no rudeness involved in my statement - just fact. I didn't not say any one person (ie - you) made any comments. I was equating the whole thread to my one post.

REALLY???Then why did you quote me and specifically go on a tirade based on my response? you called me out specifically to use as an example if you look back at your post. I also had very politely responded to your first post about the key card. I was glad that you cleared that up. I even said...wow that makes sense.

lovedoc said:
If anything, it was rude to call me out directly when I never called anybody (read - you) out at all. I know what you said and my post was not a direct reply to yours .. just one part of a comment you made that was shared by others.

See above. That was a tirade that you went on motivated by anger.

LoveDoc said:
And for the record - my view is a lot different from anybody else's in this thread - and the other similar threads scattered across the 'net right now. Reason - withheld.

I figured that out from your previous post because you had too much information. And this is not meant sarcastically or mean, but for your sake, be careful what you post and don't let emotion control you like you just did because you may jeopordize the investigation, and if you are who I think you are I know that you don't want that to happen and you want the person caught. Because the other person may very well be reading this stuff too.

The kind of post you made is referred to as "flaming" it is considered rude.

Again a better response would have been "I have a very different view on that, there is information that you don't have or here's something I can tell you"

We are in sympathy with you, we just don't understand all the facts. :eek:

ArielLover

Honestly, If you want to leave cryptic threads, this may not be the right forum for you. You imply you have additional info the rest of us don't have and are not in the report. If that is true come clean or maybe you should not be posting at all about the incident. All you are doing is creating disagreement with nothing but your comments to back it up. You may be trying to be nice about it but you are actually not helping the issue. Being new here, it does not start your time on here in the best light.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No

Respectfully, none of what's bolded above applies to this thread... No-one here has said anything about the woman lying or the story being fake or a money-grab. If you're going to bounce between different web forums, at least distinguish between them when you reply.

Again respectfully, if you are as close to the investigation as you are attempting to imply, what the heck are you doing reading and contributing to web forums on the subject. A bunch of us who know nothing beyond what we read in the press jammering away about it can't impact the investigation, but you slipping in facts from the case that are not readily available to the public could.

LoveDoc143

Echo - As I stated previously, my post was a reply to the thread as a whole - yours just happened to be the last post that was replied to. It also contained something I was pointing out in one of my points. Again - not a direct attack, just a *point and see what I mean* thing. If you took that the wrong way, then I apologize as it was not intended as such.

Ariel - What I know and what I disclose, if anything at all, is entirely up to me. I don't have to "come clean" if I choose not to (and I don't) and my desire to post in this thread is caused by those who have said the story didn't make sense. I attempt(ed) to fill in what gaps I could with what I can - and that's all. If you desire a more descriptive story, then I'm sorry - you're not going to get it from me or anybody else on this forum. (Maybe this forum isn't right for you then - as you said). Just because I don't post on here at all doesn't mean I haven't been "lurking" for a long time. "Just Joined" means nothing.

Monty -
... No-one here has said anything about the woman lying or the story being fake or a money-grab.
That's incorrect. One person did make such a statement and looking back, can see it's gone now (for whatever reason). But that's of no matter to me at all. I have no desire to find out who said what or find a way to "quote" the post in question.
As to why I'm posting here, and any information I have being given out, I already stated that above.

You're all right, though ... I'm not saying anything anymore. I won't change any body's minds here nor will I attempt to try. Everybody's free to make their own judgments about what happened based on the incomplete story they read. I won't even read the rest of this thread to get (at loss of a better word) emotional.

echoscot

Echo - As I stated previously, my post was a reply to the thread as a whole - yours just happened to be the last post that was replied to. It also contained something I was pointing out in one of my points. Again - not a direct attack, just a *point and see what I mean* thing. If you took that the wrong way, then I apologize as it was not intended as such.

Ariel - What I know and what I disclose, if anything at all, is entirely up to me. I don't have to "come clean" if I choose not to (and I don't) and my desire to post in this thread is caused by those who have said the story didn't make sense. I attempt(ed) to fill in what gaps I could with what I can - and that's all. If you desire a more descriptive story, then I'm sorry - you're not going to get it from me or anybody else on this forum. (Maybe this forum isn't right for you then - as you said). Just because I don't post on here at all doesn't mean I haven't been "lurking" for a long time. "Just Joined" means nothing.

Monty -

That's incorrect. One person did make such a statement and looking back, can see it's gone now (for whatever reason). But that's of no matter to me at all. I have no desire to find out who said what or find a way to "quote" the post in question.
As to why I'm posting here, and any information I have being given out, I already stated that above.

You're all right, though ... I'm not saying anything anymore. I won't change any body's minds here nor will I attempt to try. Everybody's free to make their own judgments about what happened based on the incomplete story they read. I won't even read the rest of this thread to get (at loss of a better word) emotional.

:wave:Thank you, that was a MUCH better response, much less emotional.

As it is, I can only speak for myself, I don't know what others are thinking, but everything I have said in most of these threads is speculation. I throw it out to see if others agree or disagree. Not to make an accusation.

I appreciated the info you gave about the key card, but when I realized it was more than what was in the press, and info from the Sheriff report could be dangerous. I am thinking Orange County Sheriff office. We are actually sympathetic to you for the most part that I have read in the thread. But be careful....:lol:

AndreainNY

Wow - that is VERY scary! I walk all over at night at the resorts (primarily POFQ and POR) and I have never felt scared or nervous. I will keep my "New York" senses on during our next trip! I also let my son walk to and from the food courts alone (he is almost 15), but I will make sure he is much more aware and not wearing his iPod headphones anymore.

How sad that "real life" has to intrude on the Happiest Place on Earth.

JimboJones123

STOP -- STOPSTOPSTOP!!!!!

No more. Water all under the bridge. No fighting.

Is 10 minutes really THAT much time to get across the Pop grounds. It's not like she checked the Swatch as she was being fondled. Give the 10 minute thing a break. She probably took a minute or two to gather herself. 3 minutes to get up the stairs and to the room door.... maybe stammering the whole way....

echoscot

STOP -- STOPSTOPSTOP!!!!!

No more. Water all under the bridge. No fighting.

Is 10 minutes really THAT much time to get across the Pop grounds. It's not like she checked the Swatch as she was being fondled. Give the 10 minute thing a break. She probably took a minute or two to gather herself. 3 minutes to get up the stairs and to the room door.... maybe stammering the whole way....

No more rhyming now I MEAN IT!

minnie61650

Thank you for the clarifcation.
I was never implying that the woman was lying I was trying to bring up the fact that were a lot of unanswered questions. The newspaper story did not make sence to me because I could not figure out how she got the key back. I just figured that the newspaper was mistaken and that he attempted to take key and bent it but she was able to escape with the bent key.

Just a word of caution:
What you posted may be info they were trying to keep from the general public.

FYI
During the years of 1976 and 1977 there was a kidnapper/killer in Oakland County Mich. who kiddnapped and killed 2 girls and 2 boys ages 10-12. The killer was also nicknamed The Babysitter, as all four victims had been recently bathed. The children were each held from four to 19 days before being killed.

One of the newsparper articles profiled him saying he took these childen and Squireled up somewhere with them until he killed them.

He was never found.

Years later we learned that police were hoping to lure the killer to Squirrel Road, Auburn Hills, MI where police were hoping to entrap him.

Just my 2 cents.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom