At WDW now, and sick :(

star77kc

Hi guys! Here I am at the most magical place on earth, and I have been stuck in bed ALL day with a really bad stomach bug. We had to cancel our ADR for Chef Mickeys tonight, which I am severely dissapointed about. I'm hoping I will feel better tomorrow. We still have 2 park days left; AK & DHS. We did however, have 2 wonderful days at MK with our twins. How many of you have been sick during your vacation ??

MaxsDad

I have had a stomach bug the last two times I have been to WDW. My wife had it one of the two times. We could not venture far from a restroom for a couple of days. When we were both sick, thankfully, it was not simultaneously. We both just had no energy whatsoever either when we were sick. We could get up and go, but after about 30-60 min, we were exhausted. So we just hung out at the resort, and the one that was well just relaxed, went to pool etc. Actually, when she was sick and we were staying at Boardwalk, I went to Epcot and rode the stuff she will not go on, and the movies she will not see and called frequently to check in. We were staying on DVC points with the trash and towel, but when I called the front desk and told them she had been sick, I let them know that we really needed the bathroom cleaned for health purposes and they did so at no additional charge, and also recommended the service I believe someone else in this thread had mentioned. I will say this, the price for Imodium at the gift shop is outrageous. I can see upcharges for normal goods, impulse buys, gifts, luxuries, etc. But to charge through the nose for items related to health of human beings, seems very un-Disney and counter productive to the collective good and overall purpose of the resort. Meaning, I think they lose more money from sick people than they gain by over charging for health products. I have cancelled three dinners for stomach bugs, for example. I carry a first aid kit and medicines there when we travel, but after this summer, I will bring some items I had not previously carried for sure.

Upvote 0

Cesar R M

I have had a stomach bug the last two times I have been to WDW. My wife had it one of the two times. We could not venture far from a restroom for a couple of days. When we were both sick, thankfully, it was not simultaneously. We both just had no energy whatsoever either when we were sick. We could get up and go, but after about 30-60 min, we were exhausted. So we just hung out at the resort, and the one that was well just relaxed, went to pool etc. Actually, when she was sick and we were staying at Boardwalk, I went to Epcot and rode the stuff she will not go on, and the movies she will not see and called frequently to check in. We were staying on DVC points with the trash and towel, but when I called the front desk and told them she had been sick, I let them know that we really needed the bathroom cleaned for health purposes and they did so at no additional charge, and also recommended the service I believe someone else in this thread had mentioned. I will say this, the price for Imodium at the gift shop is outrageous. I can see upcharges for normal goods, impulse buys, gifts, luxuries, etc. But to charge through the nose for items related to health of human beings, seems very un-Disney and counter productive to the collective good and overall purpose of the resort. Meaning, I think they lose more money from sick people than they gain by over charging for health products. I have cancelled three dinners for stomach bugs, for example. I carry a first aid kit and medicines there when we travel, but after this summer, I will bring some items I had not previously carried for sure.

imho, this is why(the prices) is better to always travel prepared, have a small medikit bag with the basic stuff (pepto bismol, pain pills..etc..)

Upvote 0

MaxsDad

imho, this is why(the prices) is better to always travel prepared, have a small medikit bag with the basic stuff (pepto bismol, pain pills..etc..)

Totally agree. The Pepto we have always carried had no effect whatsoever. I am bringing stronger stuff from now on!

Upvote 0

ratherbeinwdw

We start using Cold Eze the day before we leave, and chew a couple kid's pepto the day we arrive and every other day or so, and as long as we did this, we stayed well even when people with us got ill. We also totally disinfect our room before we "move in". It's worth the time to feel safe in the room for a week or longer. At least in the parks, you are outside. The air in those rooms is pretty stagnant. Think of all the people on here who have said they had to stay in their room because they and/or their family were ill. Housekeeping doesn't disinfect, and they carry illness from one room to another on their clothes and shoes. I also spray disinfectant in the room as soon as we arrive and go to DTD or to walk around the resort before we bring our stuff in and disinfect the room.
I've been doing this for years because of a weak immune system developed years ago when I went through chemo.

Upvote 0

rufio

I had a post very similar to this in April - I think I had food poisoning. Even worse, it was only a 3 day trip and I was sick for two of those days. I hope you get to feeling better soon!

Upvote 0

DizneyPryncess

I'm so sorry, it is such a bummer to be sick on a Disney trip. This happened to me 2 years in a row. The first year I had bronchitis. I lost my voice almost completely, to a point where my husband had to order for me in restaurants. When we met characters, he'd have to talk to them for me. I felt like Ariel.

The next year I came down with a stomach bug that kept me in the hotel room for a few days. I couldn't even walk around the resort. Had to cancel our Chef Mickey's ADR's I was so excited about. Now I'm a paranoid mess before vacations, trying to prevent illness!

I hope you feel better quickly!!

Upvote 0

MaxsDad

We start using Cold Eze the day before we leave, and chew a couple kid's pepto the day we arrive and every other day or so, and as long as we did this, we stayed well even when people with us got ill. We also totally disinfect our room before we "move in". It's worth the time to feel safe in the room for a week or longer. At least in the parks, you are outside. The air in those rooms is pretty stagnant. Think of all the people on here who have said they had to stay in their room because they and/or their family were ill. Housekeeping doesn't disinfect, and they carry illness from one room to another on their clothes and shoes. I also spray disinfectant in the room as soon as we arrive and go to DTD or to walk around the resort before we bring our stuff in and disinfect the room.
I've been doing this for years because of a weak immune system developed years ago when I went through chemo.

I have done the room disinfect twice. It was the same two times I mentioned above. Perhaps I am missing something. This is what I do:

Spray Lysol in the air and on the beds.
Use Lysol wipes on the Doorknobs, lightswitches, remote, and phone.

Any spots you can recommend I should consider?

Upvote 0

JillC LI

Me. Horrendous sore throat and head/respiratory cold last December after planning the trip for a year and a half. Tried not to let it slow me down too much, but I had no voice at all and could barely walk around by the final day of the trip. Most painful flight home ever with my ears. Still, looking back, I have fond memories of that first-family-holiday-season trip. I hope you get well quick!

Upvote 0

Disnee4Me

My DS on NYE, 2007-08, then age12, woke up with a fever. We dosed him with meds, let him sleep in until 10 (we usually open the parks) and then headed to EPCOT. Got there at 11, supser packed, and never got on a single ride, but still had a great time ... until we dashed out at 12:15 and my DH got chest pains ... on the 2nd we rushed back to Connecticut and by the late afternoon of the 3rd, my DH was having angioplasty!! Rotten ending to an otherwise fantastic vacation.

Upvote 0

ratherbeinwdw

I have done the room disinfect twice. It was the same two times I mentioned above. Perhaps I am missing something. This is what I do:

Spray Lysol in the air and on the beds.
Use Lysol wipes on the Doorknobs, lightswitches, remote, and phone.

Any spots you can recommend I should consider?
We use spray cleaner on the sinks, faucets, tubs/showers, and then we use wipes on the tops of all surfaces including headboard and chairs. Make sure and spray some Lysol toward the air conditioning filter. That is one place bacteria and viruses thrive. When my counts were way down, they would have the filters changed for me before we arrived. I simply had to say I had an immune system problem and this was standard. Also make sure and wipe the safe. All this takes a lot of work, but it only takes about half an hour with two adults working, and then the rest of the week we don't have to worry about it. When I do it alone in a large unit, it does take longer, but still worth it to me.
We also keep plain non-antibacterial hand wipes and small bottles of hand sanitizers attached to our bags and use them after every ride. I don't like having to use so much sanitizer so I use the plain wipes after to keep my hands from drying out.
If we are close to a bathroom, we wash our hands instead of using sanitizer. But, make sure you use paper towels to turn the faucets on and off and to open the doors. Latest research shows the soap dispensers and faucets have a tremendous amount of germs. And remember that's where all these sick people run if they come to the parks sick. Disney is pretty good about keeping the bathrooms clean everywhere but Pecos Bills. I never go in there anymore.
To most people this is overkill, but to me it's necessary. It's kept me well for 11 years while those around me were sick. I only got sick once and that was after a woman with a high fever and very sick was sitting across from me on a bus. Her husband was trying to get her to stay at the resort, but she wouldn't. There was nowhere for me to move. Luckily, I didn't get sick until the day before we were to leave, but we left a day early as I didn't want to do what that lady did and take a chance on getting others sick. I also sprayed the room and wiped everything down again for the next people.
Also, and I'm sure you know this, never put your clothes in the drawers. Lots of people actually use them for their dirty clothes. Yuk. If the flu is going around, stay out of Mission Space. There's no escape from germs in there.
Here's the part most people aren't willing to do, and I don't blame them and don't expect them to do, but we never use housekeeping. Once I have the room disinfected, I don't want them bringing germs right back in there on their clothes or shoes. They always make sure and hang a bag with new towels etc. on the door, but I bring my own towels and washcloths, so we don't need them. I still leave them a nice tip since it's not their fault I don't use their service
The parks are open enough with proper hand cleaning and moving if someone is coughing or complaining about not feeling sick, that I can stay well.
Good luck on your next trip.

Upvote 0

Cesar R M

We use spray cleaner on the sinks, faucets, tubs/showers, and then we use wipes on the tops of all surfaces including headboard and chairs. Make sure and spray some Lysol toward the air conditioning filter. That is one place bacteria and viruses thrive. When my counts were way down, they would have the filters changed for me before we arrived. I simply had to say I had an immune system problem and this was standard. Also make sure and wipe the safe. All this takes a lot of work, but it only takes about half an hour with two adults working, and then the rest of the week we don't have to worry about it. When I do it alone in a large unit, it does take longer, but still worth it to me.
We also keep plain non-antibacterial hand wipes and small bottles of hand sanitizers attached to our bags and use them after every ride. I don't like having to use so much sanitizer so I use the plain wipes after to keep my hands from drying out.
If we are close to a bathroom, we wash our hands instead of using sanitizer. But, make sure you use paper towels to turn the faucets on and off and to open the doors. Latest research shows the soap dispensers and faucets have a tremendous amount of germs. And remember that's where all these sick people run if they come to the parks sick. Disney is pretty good about keeping the bathrooms clean everywhere but Pecos Bills. I never go in there anymore.
To most people this is overkill, but to me it's necessary. It's kept me well for 11 years while those around me were sick. I only got sick once and that was after a woman with a high fever and very sick was sitting across from me on a bus. Her husband was trying to get her to stay at the resort, but she wouldn't. There was nowhere for me to move. Luckily, I didn't get sick until the day before we were to leave, but we left a day early as I didn't want to do what that lady did and take a chance on getting others sick. I also sprayed the room and wiped everything down again for the next people.
Also, and I'm sure you know this, never put your clothes in the drawers. Lots of people actually use them for their dirty clothes. Yuk. If the flu is going around, stay out of Mission Space. There's no escape from germs in there.
Here's the part most people aren't willing to do, and I don't blame them and don't expect them to do, but we never use housekeeping. Once I have the room disinfected, I don't want them bringing germs right back in there on their clothes or shoes. They always make sure and hang a bag with new towels etc. on the door, but I bring my own towels and washcloths, so we don't need them. I still leave them a nice tip since it's not their fault I don't use their service
The parks are open enough with proper hand cleaning and moving if someone is coughing or complaining about not feeling sick, that I can stay well.
Good luck on your next trip.

not trying to be mean, but overdoing disinfection and abusing disinfectants, medicines..etc.. will most likely lower your defenses and make you more vulnerable to bugs flying around.

id say a balance between cleaning, disinfecting and staying healthy lifestyle helps way more than flooding oneself with disinfectants and virusshots.etc..

Upvote 0

star77kc

Original Poster
Thank you so much for your stories and tips! I'm pretty sure it was food poisoning, but to what I'm not sure. I am feeling much better today. We had planned on doing AK today, but only stayed a couple hours since I was still very weak. Tomorrow is our last park day at DHS. I'm hoping to finish our trip on a high note!!
I will definitely think about all the tips mentioned above when we come back next time.

Upvote 0

pixiesteno

I have had a couple of bouts with my stomach at WDW and I have finally figured out that it is something that I ate that I am allergic to. The big question is what that is but I at least know the restaurant to avoid. As far as the room I am glad that we take our RV and we do not fly anymore. Hope you feel well soon

Upvote 0

jw24

I've gotten diarrhea a few times. Once, when I was 10 or 11, I got a bad case of diarrhea and it held everyone in family from going to MK until late afternoon. Not good at all. Other than that, I've learned the hard way about drinking soda in the intense FL heat, which caused me to get diarrhea but I did feel better about taking some Pepto Bismol each time but it struck a chord to always drink water and stay away from caffeine in the heat and hot weather of FL. Drinking soda or coffee may taste better but water hydrates!

Anyway, get well soon!

Upvote 0

Sammy5150

It seems like every trip we have somebody has to get sick. My daughter last year several different times had to leave the parks. I took her 3 times, I missed out on California Grill. A couple of afternoon runs back to the hotel too, I didn't mind because my knees were done for the day anyway. she took a bath and was feeling better....
575055_513614821996926_244447636_n.jpg

I got the worst chest cold of my life in 07 while at All-Star Music, worst trip EVER. Not because of the cold, the resort was terrible. I was down for a full day, anything with salt almost killed me after that.

Back in 97, our first family trip, our oldest son (and only kid at the time) got a vicious ear infection in the middle of the night. Great service getting an antibiotic called in from our Doctor at home to CVS(I think) and the medicine delivered to us in an hour and a half. light day the next day and then he was back at 100%.

those are just a few but in the 15 trips since 97, somebody has been sick in about 11 of them.

Hope tomorrow goes well for you!

Upvote 0

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I was sick years ago when we stayed at POR...then it was Dixie Landings. I think I had some bad cream in my coffee..you know those little containers they keep on the tables. Anyway... My family had reservations for Victoria and Alberts and I obviously, could not go. I was never so sick. I remember it like it was yesterday because I started to feel queasy on a boat we rented and I thought It was motion sickness. I was sick all night but managed to drag myself to Typhoon Lagoon the next afternoon. I look like death in the photos we took. It is no fun to get sick at Disney World. Hope you feel better soon!

My DS got food poisoning at WDW over the 4th of July one year. He was violently ill within an hour, it ruined his trip and that was only day 2. Sadly it took him through his Freshman year for his digestive system to completely heal. He never ate a hotdog again.

Upvote 0

ratherbeinwdw

not trying to be mean, but overdoing disinfection and abusing disinfectants, medicines..etc.. will most likely lower your defenses and make you more vulnerable to bugs flying around.

id say a balance between cleaning, disinfecting and staying healthy lifestyle helps way more than flooding oneself with disinfectants and virusshots.etc..
That's not mean, just ill informed as to how someone with my health issues must live. It's simply a part of my life now. And, I only go to these extremes while traveling. I am very cautious as to what I use and how much I use.
It's worked, so I'll continue as I have been so that I can enjoy a place that gives me peace of mind and joy. Our whole family lives a very healthy life style.

Upvote 0

sweetpee_1993

Cold, flu, fever, etc. on WDW trips in 2005 & 2009. Did the whole routine on 7-night cruise earlier this year. Thankfully, the cruise went to Mexico so I was able to go buy antibiotics OTC. Pretty sure I had strep. Yuck!

Upvote 0

Cesar R M

Cold, flu, fever, etc. on WDW trips in 2005 & 2009. Did the whole routine on 7-night cruise earlier this year. Thankfully, the cruise went to Mexico so I was able to go buy antibiotics OTC. Pretty sure I had strep. Yuck!

isnt it a bit ironic? going to the hometown of the "Montezuma´s revenge" to get antibiotics.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom