AT&T on Spaceship Earth

I can see that DogsRule! must have been the genius behind the original rehab of JIYI, Innoventions, Doug Live, the hat, etc., etc., etc......:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
Originally posted by thedisneyfan
I can see that DogsRule! must have been the genius behind the original rehab of JIYI, Innoventions, Doug Live, the hat, etc., etc., etc......:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

A. Most people love the Sorcerer Mickey Hat, which is why it was declared the new park icon so soon after being completed (less than three months)
B. Change is good. Ask Walt if he wanted the parks to continually change.
C. Test Track has had two hour lines during the off season this spring, with waits in excess of four hours over spring break
D. The Imagineers were between all those changes
E. My beloved Test Track has not lost much popularity during its first four years of operation
F. Park attendance decreases due to LACK of change in the parks--people see no reason to return to parks that do not change, which hurts any amusement/theme park. People demand change--if you want to deny that, I welcome you to start your own theme park, never change it, and see how long it stays open
G. While I don't particularly like Innoventions, I will take it over the Communicore
H. Epcot was designed to change every ten years
I. Mission: SPACE.

darthdarrel

Originally posted by DogsRule!
A. Most people love the Sorcerer Mickey Hat, which is why it was declared the new park icon so soon after being completed (less than three months)
B. Change is good. Ask Walt if he wanted the parks to continually change.
C. Test Track has had two hour lines during the off season this spring, with waits in excess of four hours over spring break
D. The Imagineers were between all those changes
E. My beloved Test Track has not lost much popularity during its first four years of operation
F. Park attendance decreases due to LACK of change in the parks--people see no reason to return to parks that do not change, which hurts any amusement/theme park. People demand change--if you want to deny that, I welcome you to start your own theme park, never change it, and see how long it stays open
G. While I don't particularly like Innoventions, I will take it over the Communicore
H. Epcot was designed to change every ten years
I. Mission: SPACE.
I`m sorry,but you are the first person I have EVER heard that loves the mickey hat I have even walked down the street and heard people say "WHy on earth did they build that thing" and that`s the GODS HONEST TRUTH! and as far as it becoming the new icon so soon,they built it to be the new icon DUH!:rolleyes:

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
Originally posted by darthdarrel
they built it to be the new icon DUH!:rolleyes:

No they didn't. It was "temporary" when they were building it. And most guests do like it--I never hear people in the parks about things like that--we tend to complain a lot on these forums, but I almost never hear any whining from people in the parks that is not directed at another family member. I have never heard anyone in the park complain about the mickey hat--it looks especially nice at night.

darthdarrel

No they didn't. It was "temporary" when they were building it. And most guests do like it--I never hear people in the parks about things like that--we tend to complain a lot on these forums, but I almost never hear any whining from people in the parks that is not directed at another family member. I have never heard anyone in the park complain about the mickey hat--it looks especially nice at night.
Since when was it"temorary"? And I guess I just imagined the people I heard on my last trip? hmm ohwell just get the straightjacket out for me,I`m imagining things! :p :hammer:

Dayma

It was temporary but I still think it does not look right for the Hollywood Blvd. look but thats just my opinion...

guwag

I must admit that the Hat was a good idea and design but to put it right in front of the beautiful Chinese Theatre :hammer:

DarkMeasures

Spaceship Earth needs change. Future World in Epcot is supposed to display the future of the world along us. Even TEst Track carries that out by showing us how the cars are tested and then at the end they show concept cars.

Now SSE. The idea of time lapse stops would be very awsome. Remember the video of the Effile Tower being built on the Time Keeper? Imagine seeing that happen while racing around the footings of the tower. The ride cars, video equipment can show this happen.

The rememberable parts can still be kept like when your in the top of the shpere looking up to Earth in the Sky. The car could slow down there to the speed of the omnimovers. Plus, Disney has plenty of tricks to make sure you wont be able to see the other cars there.

All time racers would be is a faster more update version of SpaceShip Earth.

The problem that everyone, including the imagineers, seem to keep ignoring is that Disney is based around the concept that it is meant for FAMILIES! Yes that's right Dogsrule!, WALT DISNEY said he wanted parks for the families, not just the thrill seekers who are seduced by a cheap 30 second thrill that can easily become stale in 5 years unlike the traditional rides of SpaceshipEarth, Horizons, World of Motion, PoC, IaSW, HM, etc., etc., etc..... Rehab Spaceship Earth, update the ending, fix the soundtrack and replace the old vehicles, but don't kill the ride that will drive more families away from EPCOT because the grandparents and the young can't do any attractions.

This is not to say that I am completely opposed to change as you keep inferring. Walt really didn't say he wanted things to change in the sense that everything original and great about his parks were gutted, what he said is that he wanted things to grow and expand thus bringing change. That is why I don't have a problem with adding thrill rides like ToT or RnR. The difference was that they were positive ADDITIONS, NOT REPLACEMENTS of positive original attractions! I don't think that Test Track is inherantly bad, it's just that it should have been an addition to the World of Motion complex that way families with younger children and grandparents and everyone else could have gone on WoM while the thrill seekers could have enjoyed Test Track. If you want some kind of Time Racers thrill attraction, then place it somewhere else and GROW AND CHANGE the park without killing the VERY POPULAR (AND MORE RIDDEN THAN TEST TRACK)SPACESHIP EARTH!

By the way, the hat was never temporary and was decided to be the parks icon replacement well before it was completed. I've never seen a company take a year to build something with tons and tons of steel and concrete to be ONLY TEMPORARY!:hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
Originally posted by thedisneyfan
The problem that everyone, including the imagineers, seem to keep ignoring is that Disney is based around the concept that it is meant for FAMILIES! Yes that's right Dogsrule!, WALT DISNEY said he wanted parks for the families, not just the thrill seekers

Walt Disney was completely responsible for the building of Matterhorn Bobsleds, which is not a ride all family members can ride. Furthermore, Space Mountain was his idea. End of story. Big name thrill rides can make a lot of money--the Tower of Terror defined the Disney-MGM Studios, as the park was almost nothing before it opened, and attendance surged once it began allowing guests to drop in.

darthdarrel

Walt Disney was completely responsible for the building of Matterhorn Bobsleds, which is not a ride all family members can ride. Furthermore, Space Mountain was his idea. End of story. Big name thrill rides can make a lot of money--the Tower of Terror defined the Disney-MGM Studios, as the park was almost nothing before it opened, and attendance surged once it began allowing guests to drop in.
I don`t think he was saying that Disney didn`t want thrill rides ofcourse he did,but he didn`t dismantle old rides to do it.YEs there is a place in Disney for thrill rides,I for one love thrill rides,but not at the expense of the family rides,like the Haunted mansion,Spaceship earth and The Pirates of the caribbean! If they dismantle all the family rides and just put up thrill rides Disney will Cease to be a Theme park and will settle for amusement park,which I pray never happens.

Dayma

If you turn Disney into a thrill park then you will loose attendance. Do the math...is it better to have a family of 4 or 5 or a younger couple with just two people?

All I am saying and I THINK that most all of us agree is that there HAS to be a balance or the park will suffer. There has to be a balance that brings in people in their mid 20's to people 60+ . When I have a kid in the next couple of years I dont want to have to wait till he or she is 14 or so before I take them to Disney.....Most of the rides have a Disney "theme" which is based on childrens movies ( even though we love em) so you have to make some where kids can ride them.

Personally I hate roller coasters and Tower of Terror, so anything like these and I dont ride them. To assume that all people like thrill rides is crazy otherwise Cedar Point which is nothing but thrill rides would have taken over Universal and Disney but it does not even come close......

darthdarrel

Originally posted by blackride
If you turn Disney into a thrill park then you will loose attendance. Do the math...is it better to have a family of 4 or 5 or a younger couple with just two people?

All I am saying and I THINK that most all of us agree is that there HAS to be a balance or the park will suffer. There has to be a balance that brings in people in their mid 20's to people 60+ . When I have a kid in the next couple of years I dont want to have to wait till he or she is 14 or so before I take them to Disney.....Most of the rides have a Disney "theme" which is based on childrens movies ( even though we love em) so you have to make some where kids can ride them.

Personally I hate roller coasters and Tower of Terror, so anything like these and I dont ride them. To assume that all people like thrill rides is crazy otherwise Cedar Point which is nothing but thrill rides would have taken over Universal and Disney but it does not even come close......
Well said!:D

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Darrel..

disney has in fact dismantled rides. What do you think they do with the old attraction when one is replaced? Or when they MOVE an attraction from one park to another (like the Mickey Mouse Revue)

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
I don`t think he was saying that Disney didn`t want thrill rides ofcourse he did,but he didn`t dismantle old rides to do it.YEs there is a place in Disney for thrill rides,I for one love thrill rides,but not at the expense of the family rides,like the Haunted mansion,Spaceship earth and The Pirates of the caribbean! If they dismantle all the family rides and just put up thrill rides Disney will Cease to be a Theme park and will settle for amusement park,which I pray never happens.

Walt did dismantle rides to build new ones, including the thrill rides. Pretty much all of the original Tomorrowland that opened in 1955 was removed within a relatively small amount of time...like the Phantom Boats, bathroom of tomorrow, etc. I'm not sure of the exact location of each of these, but rides were certainly removed to make way for Matterhorn Bobsleds, since it is found in what was Tomorrowland

darthdarrel

Walt did dismantle rides to build new ones, including the thrill rides. Pretty much all of the original Tomorrowland that opened in 1955 was removed within a relatively small amount of time...like the Phantom Boats, bathroom of tomorrow, etc. I'm not sure of the exact location of each of these, but rides were certainly removed to make way for Matterhorn Bobsleds, since it is found in what was Tomorrowland
YEs,but they were by no means "classics"

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
YEs,but they were by no means "classics"

Phantom Boats weren't classics, but Tomorrowland, as it was in 1955, did have some worth, and even so, with Time Racers more or less an expansion on the current Spaceship Earth ride, this is more of an upgrade to the ride, like when they added the ice caves and Harold to the Matterhorn. Disney is not thinking "intense" with this ride--SPACE will be Epcot's intense thrill ride. Most people will be able to handle Time Racers' thrills.

darthdarrel

Phantom Boats weren't classics, but Tomorrowland, as it was in 1955, did have some worth, and even so, with Time Racers more or less an expansion on the current Spaceship Earth ride, this is more of an upgrade to the ride, like when they added the ice caves and Harold to the Matterhorn. Disney is not thinking "intense" with this ride--SPACE will be Epcot's intense thrill ride. Most people will be able to handle Time Racers' thrills.
If it doesn`t become intense then I have no problem with it. It`s only when they start tearing down family rides to construct a "thrill" ride that gets my goat!
I have no problem with thrill rides as I have clearly stated,infact I love them. Just keep the "FAMILY" rides intact or atleast build NEW "Family" rides! Like I said If Disney becomes an Amusement park and sloffs off it`s THEME park existance then I will surely never go there again as I have the worlds BEST amusement park"CEDAR POINT" Right at my doorstep!

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
If it doesn`t become intense then I have no problem with it. It`s only when they start tearing down family rides to construct a "thrill" ride that gets my goat!
I have no problem with thrill rides as I have clearly stated,infact I love them. Just keep the "FAMILY" rides intact or atleast build NEW "Family" rides! Like I said If Disney becomes an Amusement park and sloffs off it`s THEME park existance then I will surely never go there again as I have the worlds BEST amusement park"CEDAR POINT" Right at my doorstep!

All Disney thrill rides are "family rides" according to Disney. Every ride Disney builds will exclude someone, so they have to build rides catering to everyone--even rides like the Tower of Terror still cater to everyone over age 5, and most people between the ages of say 7 and 67 love it. Just watch the vacation planning video! SURE Grandpa wants to ride the Tower of Terror!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom