AT&T Offical Announcement regarding Sponsorship

wdwfan22

Original Poster
I know you all have know for months that it was over, but here is the official announcment. However it doesn't mention them dropping Indy at Disneyland.....does anyone know if they plan on continuing there sponorship?

AT&T ENDS SPONSORSHIPS AT DISNEY PARKS – As part of a continuous evaluation of our sponsorship activities, AT&T has decided not to renew our sponsorships of Spaceship Earth at Walt Disney World (Florida) and Innoventions at Disneyland (California). AT&T made this decision as part of its ongoing efforts to make the best possible use of our sponsorship dollars and ensure the best possible match with our business priorities. AT&T's sponsorship of Spaceship Earth at EPCOT Center began 20 years ago during the days of the Bell System. While we have evolved our partnership with the Walt Disney Company over the years, the Spaceship Earth and Innoventions sponsorships no longer meet the needs of the business. However, we look forward to continuing other marketing and promotional involvement with the Disney Company. Concurrent with the end of the sponsorships, effective Jan. 1, employees no longer have access to discounted Disney tickets or to the hospitality areas associated with these two attractions

ReDefined

Whoaahhh

Big loss for AT&T. Stupid move. It was good for employees moral. It was good for their image in the general population. But at least the money saved will go to a good place, upper management salaries.

Go team AT&T.

ToTBellHop

Those new tvs they installed this season were apparently too much for AT&T to afford...four 21" tvs...could have had costs IN EXCESS of $1000...meanwhile, down the street, hp gives Disney $200,000,000...

Here's a thought... With more and more people using their cell phones for long distance instead of land-line phones, AT&T plus most other long distance carriers are loosing business hand over fist. As the cell business grows, it could eventually replace land line phone service entirely. So, I don't know this is such a bad move for AT&T seeing as how I'm sure they know it's just a matter of time before they are extinct.

TURKEY

Originally posted by Just A Big Kid
Here's a thought... With more and more people using their cell phones for long distance instead of land-line phones, AT&T plus most other long distance carriers are loosing business hand over fist. As the cell business grows, it could eventually replace land line phone service entirely. So, I don't know this is such a bad move for AT&T seeing as how I'm sure they know it's just a matter of time before they are extinct.

I don't know if AT&T Wireless is part of At&T or is a seperate business entity, but they are doing a decent job in the competitive cell industry.

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Thanks for the Official word on this! :)

A couple of sentances make me raise an eye brow though... like this one:

"While we have evolved our partnership with the Walt Disney Company over the years, the Spaceship Earth and Innoventions sponsorships no longer meet the needs of the business."

Ooooook.. how... How have they not meet your needs? Not enough exposure? That would not be true... How many people go thru that ride a day?! A Lot! Or they are bored with the ride.. and do not want to take part in paying for a "Gemini" type project / upgrade on SE ?

Anyway...plain and simple... they are broke... and cannot afford it... but they did some creative writing and said "Spaceship Earth and Innoventions sponsorships no longer meet the needs of the business"...instead of saying "were broke and cutting back" The Telecom sector stinks and has for the past 2 years almost. They (At&t) laid off ...what.. another 1500 people in New Jersey the other week...

So the next question is... When is Microsoft taking over sponsorship? *allegedly/current rumor*

diegorivera2

Yes, AT&T Wireless is a separate company from AT&T.

Wow -- can Epcot afford to have another hole in its corporate sponsorship situation? Let's hope that the news I've seen on-line regarding Microsoft picking up the sponsorship for this attraction is accurate.

GaryT977

So, if the sponsorship ended 01/01/03, what does that mean for the ride? Is is shut down? Is anything with AT&T logo removed? What happens?

wdwfan22

Original Poster
Originally posted by GaryT977
So, if the sponsorship ended 01/01/03, what does that mean for the ride? Is is shut down? Is anything with AT&T logo removed? What happens?

It means the attraction will continue as normal, until a new sponsor can be found. Once a new sponsor is signed the attraction will probably receive an update or a new theme (Time Racers presented by Microsoft) While the attraction is sponsor less I wouldn't count on any type of enhancment. The attraction will be treated the same as other attractions without sponsors...Wonders of Life & The Living Seas. All AT&T logos and propaganda will be removed.

SirNim

If anybody happens to be in Epcot when they take down the signage (not the very day but, you know, right after they take it down - that week, that month, etc.) please get some pictures! of the SE sign right underneath the geosphere...:D :)

GaryT977

Originally posted by wdwfan22
It means the attraction will continue as normal, until a new sponsor can be found. All AT&T logos and propaganda will be removed.

OK. What about the parts of the ride that mention AT&T? I'm thinking about the part with the tv-e-mail thingys.

epcot71

thats fine.AT&T was not the compnay it was 20 years ago anyway. in their hayday this might have been a major upset but the company has been surpassed by many others over time.i think it will be microsoft.mike eisner and bill gates looked pretty happy shaking hands at the press conference of the new disneyon msn concept.i think msn will be better suited for a sponsership there(at least until another company 20 years down the road surpasses microsoft)

BY THE WAY IM SWITCHING FROM ATT&T TO SPRINT NOW:fork: :fork: :fork:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom