AstroOrbiter Refurb 2019

mickEblu

Was the Peoplemover getting unpopular and rider count was getting low? Is that why they stopped running it? Because if enough people aren't riding the Peoplemover, it wouldn't end up helping much to bring it back.

Yeah it was usually a walk on from what I remember. These days with the crowds I doubt it would still be a walk on. If they did bring back something like that they would probably have to add a few show scenes like the DLRR.

Last edited:

Figments Friend

So i haven't seen any photos posted here yet of the informative decor adorning the Orbitor walls.
I noticed these while visiting this past week.

A dozen of so decorated boards with text telling the brief history of Tomorrowland's 'space spinners' over the years.
It starts with the original incarnation and goes all the way through to the present.
The various boards also feature neat vintage photographs of said 'spinners'.
Check them out sometime the next time you visit Disneyland.
:)

-

Last edited:

Ismael Flores

For some reason, that pic looks way to small for that area though I'm assuming you measured. In any case, I would have little problem with it moving there beyond congestion concerns. In reality, the best place to put it is where it was originally on top of the PM platform. I can dream.

its amazing how much smaller things look when they dont have rockwork and pillars wrapping around the small ride and creating gridlocks

Jones14

Yeah it was usually a walk on from what I remember. These days with the crowds I doubt it would still be a walk on. If they did bring something like that they would probably have to add a few show scenes like the DLRR.
Magic Kingdom’s is usually no more than a five minute wait, but that has less to do with popularity and more to do with it having one of the highest hourly capacities in the entire resort.

Phroobar

So if the AstroOrbiter were put back up on top of the PeopleMover platform where it belongs, they would need to reinstall the elevator gantry. What kind of crowds would that make in that small area? Would the queue line fill that entire area? I assume it's not really a problem at MK since they never lost their version.

Rich T

Peoplemover was usually a walk-on because it had such a fantastically high capacity. In its final years, however, the ride had become very clunky and rough, feeling more like riding a little red wagon along an old sidewalk than a futuristic transport. I can't blame Disney for wanting to switch it out--It's just a pity how the whole project turned out. And the really sad part is, Rocket Rods was a fun ride; it was just a maintenance nightmare. I'll never understand why the Imagineers didn't go with a simpler ride system for Rods--such as a modified coaster--to achieve the same goal and the same ride experience.

ght

So if the AstroOrbiter were put back up on top of the PeopleMover platform where it belongs, they would need to reinstall the elevator gantry. What kind of crowds would that make in that small area? Would the queue line fill that entire area? I assume it's not really a problem at MK since they never lost their version.
Is that possible? I have always heard it was not put on top where the Rocket Jets were because it was heavier and the old building would not be able to support it. I would love to see it out of the middle of the pathway but I doubt Disney would spend what would be needed to short up the building for a spinner.

SuddenStorm

Is that possible? I have always heard it was not put on top where the Rocket Jets were because it was heavier and the old building would not be able to support it. I would love to see it out of the middle of the pathway but I doubt Disney would spend what would be needed to short up the building for a spinner.

Why not design a new one that's just an updated version of the Rocket Jets?

Anjin

Why do we need a spinner at all in TL at this point in DL's history? Shouldn't the premium real estate that is DL proper be used for something more substantial than a spinner?

Just my 2 cents...
Where the Astro Orbiter sits now is not premium real estate for anything more substantial than a wider pathway. Which I'm sure several people would argue for.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Where the Astro Orbiter sits now is not premium real estate for anything more substantial than a wider pathway. Which I'm sure several people would argue for.

Yet the discussion was for putting them back up where the Rocket Jets originally were. In 2019 I personally don't think a spinner is right attraction to stick around TL.

And yes it is premium real estate, as that entrance is crowded and should be more open. If something needs to go in that spot, bring back the world clock.

Phroobar

That's a myth.

Yet the discussion was for putting them back up where the Rocket Jets originally were. In 2019 I personally don't think a spinner is right attraction to stick around TL.

And yes it is premium real estate, as that entrance is crowded and should be more open. If something needs to go in that spot, bring back the world clock.
My guess is they would need to start from the ground level with a new elevator and tower since the People Mover is gone.
Now what would be really cool is if we boarded the rocket jets on the ground and the whole thing lifted up three stories before spinning.

SuddenStorm

That building isn't the original location if we're being specific, but I get your point- I can think of a few reasons...

The beauty of it's location on top of the Peoplemover load station is that you're getting two attractions in the space of one.

Not to mention the visual draw that having Rocket Jets in the back of the land.

Having the Rocket Jets up there gives young boys their own version of "Dumbo", flying your own rocket and making it go up and down is delightful for young children (just like being able to drive a car, but that's a whole different debate). Having it up that high adds an element of thrill for all ages. The spinner ride might not appeal to me specifically (though it'd appeal a heckuva lot more if it weren't at it's current spot), but the Rocket Jets is a perfect ride for parents to do with their young children.

If it were in it's proper place, it'd be an extra low cost attraction that not only increases the visual aesthetic of the land, but adds a touch extra capacity without creating a choke point. Of course, they also need to get a version of the Peoplemover back up for it to be at all worth it.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
That building isn't the original location if we're being specific, but I get your point- I can think of a few reasons...

The beauty of it's location on top of the Peoplemover load station is that you're getting two attractions in the space of one.
Except you're not getting two attractions as PM is never coming back. So its same one attraction just up higher.

Not to mention the visual draw that having Rocket Jets in the back of the land.

You can have the same visual draw using something else. It doesn't have to be a spinner.

Having the Rocket Jets up there gives young boys their own version of "Dumbo", flying your own rocket and making it go up and down is delightful for young children (just like being able to drive a car, but that's a whole different debate). Having it up that high adds an element of thrill for all ages. The spinner ride might not appeal to me specifically (though it'd appeal a heckuva lot more if it weren't at it's current spot), but the Rocket Jets is a perfect ride for parents to do with their young children.

If it were in it's proper place, it'd be an extra low cost attraction that not only increases the visual aesthetic of the land, but adds a touch extra capacity without creating a choke point. Of course, they also need to get a version of the Peoplemover back up for it to be at all worth it.

I'm not sure why you limited rockets to young boys, and why they need their own version of Dumbo. As I'm pretty sure young girls like rockets and young boys like Dumbo.

My point is that you could have a different attraction provide the same appeal without it having to be a 1960s spinner style attraction.

SuddenStorm

I'm not sure why you limited rockets to young boys, and why they need their own version of Dumbo. As I'm pretty sure young girls like rockets and young boys like Dumbo.

Obviously we look at this whole thing differently- but typically, Dumbo/Fantasyland appeals more to young girls, while Tomorrowland appeals more to young boys when looking at that demographic.

That's not to say there aren't hundreds of thousands of exceptions- but in terms of marketing and general demographic- a rocket ship appeals more to young Mike, who wouldn't want to be caught dead on Dumbo. Just like Marvel or Star Wars- Disney acquired those to help broaden their appeal to the young men who don't want princesses and cartoons.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Obviously we look at this whole thing differently- but typically, Dumbo/Fantasyland appeals more to young girls, while Tomorrowland appeals more to young boys when looking at that demographic.

That's not to say there aren't hundreds of thousands of exceptions- but in terms of marketing and general demographic- a rocket ship appeals more to young Mike, who wouldn't want to be caught dead on Dumbo. Just like Marvel or Star Wars- Disney acquired those to help broaden their appeal to the young men who don't want princesses and cartoons.

I don't disagree those were the demographics in the 50s, 60s and all the way up until the 90s. However in 2000s and beyond the demographics changed. This is a much large conversation than needs to be had here. But basically marketing is no longer isolated along gender lines. The same goes for the lands within the parks, no longer isolated along gender lines.

Anyways, you see it your way and that's fine. :cool:

Curious Constance

I don't disagree those were the demographics in the 50s, 60s and all the way up until the 90s. However in 2000s and beyond the demographics changed. This is a much large conversation than needs to be had here. But basically marketing is no longer isolated along gender lines. The same goes for the lands within the parks, no longer isolated along gender lines.

Anyways, you see it your way and that's fine. :cool:
As badly as many (marketing included) would like us to believe that the gender lines aren’t anything more than socially constructed fabrications that are becoming obsolete, the scientific facts still overwhelmingly prove it to be true, on average. There have always and will always be exceptions, and it’s true that exceptions are more widely accepted now than ever before, but it doesn’t change the fact that, on average, there always will be and always have been clear differences between males and females, and that’s not only okay, but vital for the well being of a future society. 😊

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom