As of February, guests will no longer be able to see a trained Disney Artist who is d

shakes20

Another relevent story...

Another relevent story...

An art director once wanted to use cheap glass for Pinocchio's village instead of the expesive stuff because, "The guests can't see it." Walt squelched that by saying, "I can see it."

Walt understood that Disny is magic because they don't just do a cheap repeoduction of something else. What makes Disney 'magical' is the attention to detail. When you see something that doesn't fit, that doesn't look right, that pulls you back to reality, the magic is gone. If Walt had taken the easy route, the cheap route, Disneyland wouldn't even be here let alone Disney World. If Disneyland had been done on the cheap, it would merely be a diversion, not a destination. It doesn't matter if most guests won't notice the change, Walt will see it, the magic will continue to go away, and Disney World will become a diversion.

shakes20

I forgot...

Just in case anyone is wondering, these quotes and stories come from Window on Main Street an amazing insider's view of the creation of Disneyland and Walt Disney World by Van Arsdale France, founder and Professor Emeritus of the University of Disneyland.

:)

General Grizz

You rock, shakes! Thanks for those inspiring stories.

I'll add another:

If you don't have it yet, go out and buy your TOMORROWLAND Walt Disney Treasures DVD. It's an EXCELLENT buy, with wonderful (and still relevant!) presentations Walt made that definitely influenced the Space Industry. Also on it is the complete EPCOT film (which goes into the planning of the city), interviews with Marty Sklar, and a lot about the Carousel of Progress (in Walt's philosophy) and hints of Horizons, Living with the Land, and Spaceship Earth.

But today I watched the interview with Ray Bradbury, famous writer and thinker who produced such works as Farenheit 451 and worked on such Disney attractions as Spaceship Earth.

Here are two important excerpts that Mr. Bradbury relates back to Walt Disney and the concept of Disneyland; they explain why the Disney parks are so unique and special:

Ray Bradbury said:
“I came back from Paris one time about ten years ago, went to Disneyland, and I looked at the side of Sleeping Beauty’s Castle, and I called John Hench over at Imagineering, and I said, ‘I noticed something about Sleeping Beauty’s Castle: there’s a spire there that I saw last on top of Notre Dame in Paris! I said, ‘How long’s that been there, on Sleeping Beauty’s Castle?’ He said, ‘20 years.’ I said, ‘Who put it there?’ He said, ‘Walt did.’ And I said, ‘Why?’ ‘Because he loved it.’

I said, ‘Ah! That’s why I love Walt Disney.’ It cost $100,000 to build a spire you didn’t need! That’s the <I>secret</I> of Disney, is doing things you don’t need and doing them well, and then you realize you needed ‘em all along.”’

Leonard Maltin said:
“Everything contributes. Everything adds to the whole.”

This is show. This is Disney detail. While we may not invest 100,000 dollars in a spire on Cinderella Castle, we can relate this idea to one of the most recent of what could be a cutback, the lack of motion of the Astro Orbiter and its planets (for over a year) and it effects on the aesthetics and beauty of New Tomorrowland.

The second idea is as follows:

Ray Bradbury said:
Because he built Disneyland, because it was full of things we didn’t need but really needed, ‘We don’t need a lot of trees.’ You plant them. ‘We don’t need a lot of benches.’ You put ‘em down. ‘We don’t need a lot of flowers.’ You plant them.

So he built Disneyland as an example of a way of living – not just an entertainment center. You could go there and sit on a bench and people-watch because it’s a happy experience. Why? Because of the flowers, the trees, the fountains, all over and above all of the other elements.

This is the simplicty, the calm, that balances against the faced-paced nature of other attractions. This is why the serenity of the Land (which also has a nice fountain) and freshness of Wonders of Life are necessary breaks and centers from a hustle-bustle world. They are simple, they are profound, they are necessary.

Again, go out and buy this DVD if you haven't already. It's full of optimism, hope, and a hint of the genius of the great Mr. Disney.

Empress Room

General Grizz said:
While I don't exactly agree with you entirely that 2D is not the way to go anymore (because it can be with the right know-how), I respect your voice of reason.

However, I don't think that this post is about 2D or 3D at all; it's about an artist being replaced by an untrained Cast Member -- both are doing 2D art. The animation aside, this is not a way to treat talented people.

Call me somewhat cynical, Grizz, but I am somewhat suspicious of the original poster's true motivations when his/her rant is his/her second post...ever.

Is a talented artist being replaced by an untrained Cast Member? Possibly. On the other hand, we do not have all of the facts. Taking the poster at his/her word, all that was being done on the animation tour is nothing much more than a simple tracing of a cell to begin with. It doesn't take an animator (2D or 3D) to walk a guest through that.

My view of this is as follows: although I understand that Walt and the Imagineers created the Disney aura with a certain set of values and beliefs in place, the world (for better or worse) is a much different place than it was in 1955. Having said that, tough decisions unfortunately have to be made. I think it shortsighted and somewhat unfair to chastise Eisner and Management for each and every change that has, is or will take place within Disney.

I find myself agreeing with you on many topics and I believe that I share your ingrained sense of loyalty, tradition and generally "doing the right thing, not just doing it right" when it comes to all things Disney. Was I on a certain level disappointed and angered when Feature Animation was taken out of Florida or when Horizons closed or what's apparently happening to Wonders of Life and COP? Absolutely. When I step back, however, I realize that those who are making those decisions are much better equipped (through facts, plans and knowledge) than I could ever hope to be.

Is it a business decision to terminate talented animators from the tour at this point? No doubt. Did Walt himself invariably make similar decisions not publicly known or the subject of internet message sites? Undoubtedly.

PurpleDragon

Emperess Room said:
I realize that those who are making those decisions are much better equipped (through facts, plans and knowledge) than I could ever hope to be.
They are better equipped with their business degrees and CPA certifications and such, but they know nothing about entertaining. Yes these execs are doing what they think is right to keep the Walt Disney Corp on top, however what they think is right is not always the correct decision. I agree these CPA's and business execs know how to work a budget, but really they don't know what people want, they think people in general are stupid and so they throw things at guests that reflect current market popularity polls.

The lack of creative thinking in the top tiers of management is what is tearing this company apart. You have a bunch of "suits" and "bankers" running an entertainment company, with no type of entertainment expert to guide them. That is where the current management team falls short, they take educated guesses and put together charts and graphs and try to figure out an economical attraction that they think the public will like. Sometimes they hit their mark, but more times than not they have missed completely.

They fire creative types(animators, imagineers,etc...) cause these business minded execs can't figure out how those empolyees can bring anything to the table, because they don't understand creative thinking or what the public really wants.

You can defend Eisner and his gang all you want, but you can't deny the fact that they are more concerned about their bottom line than they are with entertaining the public. (i.e. firing talented animators just to save 10 cents per guest)

Animationtour

Original Poster
Thanks very much for the support everyone. Just a quick note for any of you who have been to the animation tour. We have a very loyal fanbase of people who come back again and a again to see specific artists. That is what makes this animation tour very special.

Another point... there are two shows in The Magic of Disney Animation. We use four 8 hour artist shifts for these two shows. Thats 32 hours of manpower.

We proposed giving the first show over to regular cast memers and allowing trained artists to have two 8 hour shifts and one six hour shift (cutting it down to 22manpower hours). This would also cut out half of the training needed. Management refused to listen to this either.

The goal for Walt Disney World is to create completely untrained positions and eventually I can only hope that guests will (and by the way already are) picking up on this.

"There's nothing to do at this park. I'm so glad I got to see a real artist... this is the best part" -Quote from a guest today

Animationtour

Original Poster
The removal of 2d animation is the industry standard eh... what about Lilo and Stitch? And why, then, is Pixar entertainment buying all of our old animation desks in order to create a 2d studio. I do not discredit 3d animation, but don't lose your perspective... they are simply different media...

The problem with recent 2d films from Disney (Home on the crappy Range) had to do with executives poking their heads into the studio a little too often. Blame bad movies on bad stories, not craft.

PurpleDragon

Animationtour said:
The removal of 2d animation is the industry standard eh... what about Lilo and Stitch? And why, then, is Pixar entertainment buying all of our old animation desks in order to create a 2d studio. I do not discredit 3d animation, but don't lose your perspective... they are simply different media...

The problem with recent 2d films from Disney (Home on the crappy Range) had to do with executives poking their heads into the studio a little too often. Blame bad movies on bad stories, not craft.
Thank you for that!! I was about to write a post about the whole 2D vs. 3D issue. I agree 3D animation is a large component in the current animation industry, however it does not simply replace 2D animation. They are two different forms of design, its like comparing apples and oranges. Its like saying paint is going to replace pencils in school classrooms, its just asinine.

Besides 2D animation has a certain warmth and softness that you just can't duplicate with CGI.

disgolfer

Why, then, are we blaming Disney (or Eisner) from taking the necessary (but all-too-unfortunate) reasonable step of removing 2D animators from the company and replacing them with 3D computer animators? It is a fact of the industry, not a condemnation of Eisner's business practices. Perhaps the original poster's career can be saved if he/she learns the 3D craft and techniques. Let's face it, guys, there are a lot of 8-track tape machine repairmen and slide rule technicians out of work these days. It's called progress...and it has its unfortunate victims.[/QUOTE]
I think there is such an uproar about this because Disney was not built on 3D animation. The true heart of Disney is 2D animation. It is what Walt was all about. This is a craft that should always remain in the parks for guests to experience. If Walt was not an animator himself, then this would not be such a big deal, but out of respect for Walt, and his craft, these people should always be showcased at all Disney parks.

General Grizz

Animationtour said:
Thanks very much for the support everyone. Just a quick note for any of you who have been to the animation tour. We have a very loyal fanbase of people who come back again and a again to see specific artists. That is what makes this animation tour very special.

Another point... there are two shows in The Magic of Disney Animation. We use four 8 hour artist shifts for these two shows. Thats 32 hours of manpower.

We proposed giving the first show over to regular cast memers and allowing trained artists to have two 8 hour shifts and one six hour shift (cutting it down to 22manpower hours). This would also cut out half of the training needed. Management refused to listen to this either.

The goal for Walt Disney World is to create completely untrained positions and eventually I can only hope that guests will (and by the way already are) picking up on this.

"There's nothing to do at this park. I'm so glad I got to see a real artist... this is the best part" -Quote from a guest today

This is so disgusting, and yet, so true. I see that goal at Disneyland, as well: SEE -- BIG THUNDER MOUNTAIN ACCIDENTS? Maybe. Traditions hours seem to be at a low.

I know I always greet artists and Cast Members at the parks; it's one of the best - if not the best - things to look forward to when going to Disney.

I also enjoy talking to animators at the Tour.

It is DISGUSTING, from what you are saying, to hear how they are treating you. Take care, and you Cast Members are in my prayers.

General Grizz

Animationtour said:

WOW. . . I would like to hear more about this 2-D animation that Pixar could be starting. This would be *incredible.*

Go Pixar, go Pixar. . . :D

PurpleDragon

General Grizz said:
WOW. . . I would like to hear more about this 2-D animation that Pixar could be starting. This would be *incredible.*

Go Pixar, go Pixar. . . :D
Hey if Disney keeps going downhill the way it is, and Pixar keeps growing by leaps and bounds as it is, maybe Pixar will buy out Disney and WDW will become........... "Disney-Pixar World". Maybe then we might get some good new attractions. :goodnevil :lookaroun

Lauriebar

Empress Room said:
Why, then, are we blaming Disney (or Eisner) from taking the necessary (but all-too-unfortunate) reasonable step of removing 2D animators from the company and replacing them with 3D computer animators? It is a fact of the industry, not a condemnation of Eisner's business practices. Perhaps the original poster's career can be saved if he/she learns the 3D craft and techniques. Let's face it, guys, there are a lot of 8-track tape machine repairmen and slide rule technicians out of work these days. It's called progress...and it has its unfortunate victims.
You are assuming that these lost jobs will be replaced. It doesn't seem to me that they will. This move just seems to undercut the integrity of the Animation Tour.

I don't consider wiping out 2D animation progress. It is an art form that I respect and enjoy. I enjoy 3D animation as well but, I do not agree that its' success should led to the destruction of 2D entirely.

shakes20

Empress Room said:
Why, then, are we blaming Disney (or Eisner) from taking the necessary (but all-too-unfortunate) reasonable step of removing 2D animators from the company and replacing them with 3D computer animators? It is a fact of the industry, not a condemnation of Eisner's business practices. Perhaps the original poster's career can be saved if he/she learns the 3D craft and techniques. Let's face it, guys, there are a lot of 8-track tape machine repairmen and slide rule technicians out of work these days. It's called progress...and it has its unfortunate victims.

The problem with 2D animation is not the art form, but the storytelling. Let's face it, Nemo was a better story than Home on the Range, Toy Story was better than Atlantis for the same reasons. It is a different form of expression, that's all. When motion pictures came out, people heralded the end of live theatre. When T.V. was invented, they again said that live theatre would die a quick death, yet it still exists. Art is not 8-tracks and slide rules. Photography did not replace painting. 2D animation still has a place, not just in the past, the origins of Disney, but in the future as well.

General Grizz

shakes20 said:
The problem with 2D animation is not the art form, but the storytelling. Let's face it, Nemo was a better story than Home on the Range, Toy Story was better than Atlantis for the same reasons. It is a different form of expression, that's all. When motion pictures came out, people heralded the end of live theatre. When T.V. was invented, they again said that live theatre would die a quick death, yet it still exists. Art is not 8-tracks and slide rules. Photography did not replace painting. 2D animation still has a place, not just in the past, the origins of Disney, but in the future as well.
I hope to see a tremendous increase of your 35 posts in the coming years. Great way of making that point!

Totally Agree

shakes20 said:
2D still has a place in all of our hearts....If I saw a preview for a 2D movie w/ a great story, or a story I know, I would see it. Sure 3D is life like, hence the name, but can you imagine some of our fav Disney movies in 3D? I mean, I think there is something truly magical about both, yet I can't imagine Peter Pan, Lilo and Stitch, Tarzan, Little Mermaid, Snow White, or Lion King in any other way but 2D, all have a great story or are based on what we love....That is what makes of movie 'magical'...That is way we watch movies like Beauty and the Beast again, and again, and again, it NEVER gets old. I hope/pray/dream that someday in the near future, Disney will see that 2D or 3D makes a picture 'hotter' than anyone elses. If its good :D, people will see it, if its bad :((like the seemingly world-wide ban of Alexander..off sub I know :p) no profit will be made. To say that 3D is better than 2D is like saying The Thinker is SO much better than the Sistine (?) Chapel. So, yeah, the point of movies is the STORY not its dimensions.

9oldmen

This letter was inspired by Dec.1, 2004 and your comments.

Hell everyone. I'm a cast member at the attraction. I was there early Wednesday morning, Dec.1, 2004, looking at my family of artist when they told us that our jobs were being cut in pay. I was there when they told us that drawing was no longer needed on the tour and that any cast member will be able to run the attraction because of tracing being implemented. I was there when they told us that they had been looking into doing something like this for a long time and never had any decency to let us know about. I was there when they told us Feb.1, 2004 was going to be the end for us. I was there when we found out that our house payments, our car payments, our bills might be a little harder to pay on time. I was there when the guilty coward, not looking us in the eye but staring down in to his folder told us that our opinions did'nt matter. I was there when the person who gave us this news would'nt look us in the eye and just sat there coldly telling us the company was doing us a favor by giving us two months to find work. Anyone who has a brain would know that this is one of Disney's best years fiscally since 9-11 and Christmas and the New Year is right around the corner.
We're doing them a favor as well.
We're still going to go out there and give the guest great shows untill this is over. I've read your comments and I feel you needed to know how dirty this was for them to do this to us that day.

I've read your comments......If you think it's about 2D animation and 3D animation then think again. This is about respecting a human being. Just because a man or woman is a custodial cast member cleaning Disney World does'nt mean they're less important than the manager that runs a theme park. Bad management hardly ever is corrected but the man or woman under them is the first to go. I can tell you of horror stories of bad managers still working with the company and still moving up in the company. It's about respect, Disney did'nt have it that day.

I've read your comments, some of them were not too bad but I think you're missing the point again. If this were about 2D animation going out, then why is'nt the company training us to use computers at the attraction? It's not about 2D and 3D animation because I've seen crap coming from both mediums....do you remember DINASAUR and what about HOME ON THE RANGE! Some of us need to really know what we're talking about, 3D is great but it is'nt the greatest thing ever. Do you know who animates 3D films? Not computer experts but traditional artist who can actually draw classically. Walt and the animators before me made a template for us to follow, I don't know why we are'nt following that template: STORY-CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT-ANIMATING EXPRESSIONS AND ACTING OUT EMOTIONS using your mind, body and soul. I've met a lot of the great animators of the past and I would ask them questions untill they got tired of having me around them. I once asked Frank Thomas and Ollie Johnston about computer animation and they had no hard feelings towards computer animation but they did give me this answer: "When the electric guitar was created it did'nt eliminate the acoustic guitar or the other guitars....like the old western guitar. It's only a different sound coming from both insturments that are....in a way are the same."

I've read your comments and it comes down to this....PEOPLE WANT TO DRAW! They don't care about a medium of a movie! Like I said before, I've seen crap coimg from all over the industry it really comes down to the love for a skill, the craft, the talent.
So if you think this is about drawing on paper and working from a computer then you don't know much. It's about paying for talent. Something our company is lacking, something our company is not willing to pay for, so lets bring in Joe Blow or the college programer who really does'nt care about the history of the company or animation. It's cheaper to bring anyone off the street who does'nt know how to draw and have them pose as an artist. I know people may want to take this as a moment to shine in the spotlight as a Disney Artist but let me tell you....the guest will be able to sniff you out like a bloodhound. What will you do when they want you to draw Cinderella in their autograph books? What are you going to do? You see this company has lost its values, its heritage and its traditions. Look at the cardboard cut-outs that they're building and calling them attractions. Why do we accept this? Why do we accept the unsafe maintenanced attractions everyday? Why do we accept the attractions falling apart? While the attractions are falling apart we're not putting the money back into them but we're putting money into the pockets of higher management. Just ask yourself what in the Disney World is going on (laugh).

I've had parents bring their children to me for adivice. I'm not this greatest artist but the guests that see my work thank I am. I've had computer animators come up to me after a show and ask for my drawings. I've had animators from the early years with Walt ask me for my drawings and that was and still is a pleasure for me today. I've had the great old Warner Brothers animators ask me for my drawings. the great old Fliesher animators have asked for my drawings. I'm not bragging, I'm trying to get you to see that if this was all about 2D and 3D then why does this still happen on the tour! People come back to Disney World to visit the park but they also come back to see me, see us. I find it hard to believe that people come back to see us but they do....and they're from other countries as well! Let me tell you,
I've personally taken my friends who've come back to visit me out to lunch at Starring Rolls, 50's Prime Time Caf'e, ABC Commissary while on the job during my break. I've done it with people that I've met for the first time, all they want is for a real Disney Artist to talk with their son or daughter about why we love what we do as a Disney Artist. I don't know what that child will take from that experience but I do know that I've done something beautiful. The guest can still get this, but why? Why....when you know that the person has no background in art or animation at all. It's sad.

I've had children that were dying come up to me and ask for my drawings. You know what, my drawings for that moment made that child not feel that pain. Some of my friends have written me letters before they've passed on. Yes, a lot of the people that I've met are no longer with us but they are with me...when I perform on that stage from 10AM to 8PM.
I remember a man dying of cancer visiting the attraction once, he only had a year to live......I gave that man a simple drawing of Mickey Mouse and he started crying. I said, "I hope this makes you feel better." 2 years later I see this familiar face in the crowd during one of my shows....Yeah....you got it! It was that man that should'nt have been here....but he was, he wanted to say thank you! He pulled out this drawing of Mickey from his back pocket of his pants. It was in bad shape....tattered and torn. His wife said, "....he's so silly....he never let that drawing get away from him....Even when he was going through surgery, it was hard for the doctors to pry it away from him." Now I don't know if my drawing did anything for this man but I will say this, that drawing of Mickey gave him hope while he was in his last days...like when Mickey gave Walt hope when he was on his last leg after having Oswald stolen from him by a New York Studio.

You think you know what the people want but you really, really, really don't know. This is about the people. Touching lives and inspiring lives. For those of you who don't have a clue.....I invite you to come by and pay us a visit in our last months, our last days. I want you to see the children that we inspire and the adults that laugh at their own drawings at the end of a class in The Animation Academy. Come and take a part in history because it won't be the same ever again. When you come by ask for Clark. I will give you something to take back home with you. Whenever you're in the area come by to have some fun. And if you like what we've been doing all these years then go by guest relations and let them know that you're thankful for what we do.

Stay posted because we want to plan a day when all animation fans will come to the attraction in record numbers and just have fun. No protest but a day to walk off into the sunset with our heads high looking and being professional about the whole ordeal.

Thelazer

I honestly never really saw the attraction in the past. I sure won't see it in the future. Another nail in the coffin for the Disney Company.

General Grizz

9oldmen said:
Hell everyone. I'm a cast member at the attraction. I was there early Monday morning, Dec.1, 2004, looking at my family of artist when they told us that our jobs were being cut in pay. I was there when they told us that drawing was no longer needed on the tour and that any cast member will be able to run the attraction because of tracing being implemented. I was there when they told us that they had been looking into doing something like this for a long time and never had any decency to let us know about. I was there when they told us Feb.1, 2004 was going to be the end for us. I was there when we found out that our house payments, our car payments, our bills might be a little harder to pay on time. I was there when the guilty coward, not looking us in the eye but staring down in to his folder told us that our opinions did'nt matter. I was there when the person who gave us this news would'nt look us in the eye and just sat there coldly telling us the company was doing us a favor by giving us two months to find work. Anyone who has a brain would know that this is one of Disney's best years fiscally since 9-11 and Christmas and the New Year is right around the corner.
We're doing them a favor as well.
We're still going to go out there and give the guest great shows untill this is over. I've read your comments and I feel you needed to know how dirty this was for them to do this to us that day.

I've read your comments......If you think it's about 2D animation and 3D animation then think again. This is about respecting the human being. Just because a man or woman is a custodial cast member cleaning Disney World does'nt mean they're less important than the manager that runs a theme park. Bad management hardly ever is corrected but the man or woman under them is the first to go. I can tell you of horror stories of bad managers still working with the company and still moving up in the company. It's about respect, Disney did'nt have it that day.

I've read your comments, some of them were not too bad but I think you're missing the point again. If this were about 3D animation going out, then why is'nt the company training us to use computers at the attraction? It's not about 2D and 3D animation because I've seen crap coming from both mediums....do you remember DINASAUR and what about HOME ON THE RANGE! Some of us need to really know what we're talking about, 3D is great but it is'nt the greatest thing ever. Do you know who animates 3D films? Not computer experts but traditional artist who can actually draw classically. Walt and the animators before made a template for us to follow, I don't know why we are'nt following that template: STORY-CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT-ANIMATING EXPRESSIONS AND ACTING OUT EMOTIONS using your mind, body and soul. I've met a lot of the great animators of the past and I would ask them questions untill they got tired of having me around them. I once asked Frank Thomas and Ollie Johnston about computer animation and they had no hard feelings towards computer animation but they did give me this answer: "When the electric guitar was created it did'nt eliminate the acoustic guitar or the other guitars....like the old western guitar. It's only a different sound coming from both insturments that are....in a way are the same."

I've read your comments and it comes down to this....PEOPLE WANT TO DRAW! They don't care about a medium of a movie! Like I said before, I've seen crap coimg from all over the industry it really comes down to the love for a skill, the craft, the talent.
So if you think this is about drawing on paper and working from a computer then you don't know much. It's about paying for talent. Something our company is lacking, something our company is not willing to pay for, so lets bring Joe Blow or the college programer who really does'nt care about the history of the company or animation. It's cheaper to bring anyone off the street who does'nt know how to draw and have them pose as an artist. I know people may want to take this as a moment to shine in the spotlight as a Disney Artist but let me tell you....the guest will be able to sniff you out like a bloodhound. What will you do when they want you to draw Cinderella in their autograph books? What are you going to do? You see this company has lost its values, its heritage and its traditions. Look at the cardboard cut-outs that they're building and calling them attractions. Why do we accept this? Why do we accept the unsafe maintenanced attractions everyday? Why do we accept the attractions falling apart? While the attractions are falling apart we're not putting the money back into them but we're putting money into the pockets of higher management. Just ask yourself what in the Disney World is going on (laugh).

I've had parents bring their children to me for adivice. I'm not this greatest artist but the guests that see my work thank I am. I've had computer animators come up to me after a show and ask for my drawings. I've had animators from the early years with Walt ask me for my drawings and that was and still is a pleasure for me today. I've had the great old Warner Brother animators ask me for my drawings. the old Fliesher animators have asked for my drawings. I'm not bragging, I'm trying to get you to see that if this was all about 2D and 3D then why does this still happen on the tour! People come back to Disney World to visit the park but they also come back to see me, see us. I find it hard to believe that people come back to see us but they do....and they're from other countries as well! Let me tell you,
I've personally taken my friends who've come back to visit me out to lunch at Starring Rolls, 50's Prime Time Caf'e, ABC Commissary while on the job during my break. I've done it with people that I've met for the first time, all they want is for a real Disney Artist to talk with their son or daughter about why we love what we do as a Disney Artist. I don't know what that child will take from that experience but I do know that I've done something beautiful. The guest can still get this, but why? Why....when you know that the person has no background in art or animation at all. It's sad.

I've had children that were dying come up to me and ask for my drawings. You know what, my drawings made that child not feel that pain at that moment. Some of my friends have written me letters before they've passed on. A lot of the people that I've met are no longer with us but they are with me...when I perform on that stage from 10AM to 8PM.
I remember a man dying of cancer visiting the attraction once, he only had a year to live......I gave that man a simple drawing of Mickey Mouse and he started crying. I said, "I hope this makes you feel better." 2 years later I see this familiar face in the crowd during one of my shows....Yeah....you got it! It was that man that should've been here but he was, he wanted to say thank you! He pulled out this drawing of Mickey from his back pocket of his pants. It was in bad shape....tattered and torn. His wife said, "....he's so silly....he never let that drawing get away from him....Even when he was going through surgery, it was hard for the doctors to pry it away from him." Now I don't know if my drawing did anything for this man but I will say this, that drawing of Mickey gave him hope while he was in his last days...like when Mickey gave Walt hope when he was on his last leg after having Oswald stolen from him by a New York Studio.

You think you know what the people want but you really, really, really don't know. This is about the people. Touching lives and inspiring lives. For those of you who don't have a clue.....I invite you to come by and pay us a visit in our last months, our last days. I want you to see the children that we inspire and the adults that laugh at their own drawings at the end of a class in The Animation Academy. Come and take a part in history because it won't be the same ever again. When you come by ask for Clark. I will give you something to take back home with you. Whenever you're in the area come by to have some fun. And if you like what we have been doing for years go by guest relations and show that you're thankful for what we do.

Stay posted because want to plan a day when all animation fans will come to the attraction in record numbers and just have fun. No protest but a day to walk off into the sunset with our heads high looking and being professional about the whole ordeal.
This post is completely heartbreaking. I can't express the sadness I feel, but I am sure it does not compare to the feelings that you magicmakers are experiencing.

I hope the entire WDWMAGIC COMMUNITY, INTERNET, and group of DISNEY FANS will hear your story and write to Guest Relations. I will do my best to let Disney hear from its guests on their views of the sick and twisted decisions of management.

You and the entire animation community are in my prayers.

Complaints and Comments:
Walt Disney World Guest Communications
P.O. Box 10,040
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830-0040

Guest Relations - 407-824-4321

PLEASE EMAIL WITH YOUR THOUGHTS: wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com

PLEASE WRITE

Mr. Al Weiss
President of Walt Disney World Resort
PO Box 10040
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830
PHONE: 407.828.3464

Mr. James A. (Jay) Rasulo
President of Walt Disney Attractions
500 South Buena Vista Street
Burbank, CA 91521

Mr. Michael Eisner
Chief Executive Officer
Walt Disney Company
500 South Buena Vista Street
Burbank, CA 91521

bgraham34

I have to agree seeing a real animator is what made it interesting for me. I would have no desire to see someone who is not an animator actually doing the work. If I am not mistaken Disney MGM is suppose to be a working studio or at least it was at one point in time. What a shame.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom