Article on Universal-Disney

NJDVCMembers

Original Poster
This is a good article from the Orlando Sentinel. It points out the the Disney Company is truly continuing to invest in the parks. While it may not be up to the levels some would like, they are still doing it. And lets not forget that a healthy Universal is good for the entire region, and even brings people to WDW whom may never have thought of coming.

COMMENTARY

What's scariest at Universal? The slow decay

Mike Thomas
COMMENTARY

December 3, 2006

Jaws has lunged out of the water yet again here at Universal Studios. Alas, I am not terrified.

Poor old guy.

Maybe it's just because I'm old, too. But his skin looks worn. Teeth that had been white daggers of death now appear decayed with gingivitis.

Jaws is a Walter Brennan shark these days, impotently yelling at the tourists to stay out of his front yard.

Meanwhile, over at Back to the Future, more tourists bounce around in aging DeLoreans, chasing Biff around on a screen that has what looks like holes in it.

This is sad indeed. The once mighty Universal Studios, the park that put Disney-MGM Studios to shame, is being neglected to death.

It not only has fallen far behind Disney's movie park, it has slipped to second-tier status among all the major parks. I fear it is only a matter of time before neighboring Islands of Adventure is dragged down with it.

My purpose here is not to denigrate Universal. I have long trumpeted these parks. This column is intended as a wake-up call to save them from becoming Six Flags over Orlando.

Universal has had too many owners, none of them committed to the theme-park business. And so it seems there has been no long-term strategic planning, no continuing investment in upgrades.

Consider these movies on which rides are based: Earthquake came out in 1974 and Jaws in 1975.

Back to the Future, which featured Michael J. Fox as a teenager, came out 20 years ago. Terminator 2 came out 15 years ago.

This is your dad's theme park.

Once, its rides were top-of-the-line. But now when you go in Twister, the cables that swing a cow through the air are painfully visible. It looks like an Ed Wood production.

The only major ride Universal has opened in five years is the Revenge of the Mummy roller coaster.

The big new show, Fear Factor Live, is based on a television series slipping into the abyss of ratings.

It is no surprise that attendance has been steadily declining since 2004, despite numerous ticket discounts.

Meanwhile, down I-4, Disney is decked out in all its Christmas splendor with new attractions galore.

The Osborne Family's Spectacle of Lights at MGM-Studios is stunning. The Fantasmic show is the best I've ever seen. The Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt Show is a blast.

A new production at Animal Kingdom, Finding Nemo -- The Musical, is ingenious. It is Broadway quality. This follows the addition of a top-notch new coaster, Expedition Everest.

After adding the popular Soarin' ride at Epcot, Disney followed with a Nemo ride for the kiddies.

Combined with all this new stuff are multiday passes that basically give tourists free admission after four days so they can see it all.

Why leave Disney property?

Disney is out to bury Universal, and Universal is not fighting back.

Universal can surrender, put in a Publix at CityWalk and convert its parks to a new urbanism, condo/roller coaster mixed-use development.

Or it can overhaul the Studios park and upgrade Islands of Adventure, bringing both up to 2006 standards.

Cutting back and extracting more profits is not a viable long-term strategy, not when there is a Mouse nearby that is much scarier than any shark.

Mike Thomas can be reached at 407-420-5525 or mthomas@orlandosentinel.com

Mr Bill

Nice article, although I do have to wonder when Thomas started on it that Back to the Future is still being brought up.

dreamscometrue

This is an amazing coincidence. We will be taking our third trip to Disney in March and were just (10 min. ago) on the Universal website looking at the attractions. We have never been to Universal, and my wife has never been too keen on going. While looking at the website, I thought some of the rides looked cool, but commented on how dated the movies are for the attractions. Further, I was speaking to a friend of mine who does Disney, Universal and Busch Gardens whenever they visit Florida, and he commented that you really appreciate Disney's crowd management and logistics with the queues when you visit other parks. After reading this, I think we'll continue to stay on Disney property. It appears that many of the rides have counter parts at Disney anyway. Revenge of The Mummy looks kind of like Everest, Back To The Future looks like a Soarin' ride, etc.

Any thoughts from those of you who have visited both places recently?

Frosty689

It's not really anything mentioned in that article that makes me aggrivated with Universal. The rides and shows really don't bother me there (tho i've been there only a few times compared to my 12th for disney, i wont go to univ. anymore) its a couple of other things. Firstly I hate how they tried to make Universal appeal to the "hip, teenagager." And also once Islands of Adventures was built the park started to become extremely dirty. The blaring music they play also makes me want to just walk on out, and head back to Disney. I just think they treat the people at there parks like Customers, not like guests like Disney. Well i guess it's just because i am so used to the quality that Disney gives me, although Hershey park by my house is cleaner then Universal.....

wedway71

I used to go to O-town 3 times a year -forever.The only time I have ever been to Universal is when my daughter was one and loved Barney.We took her to see the Barney show(11 years ago).It was ok as a park but was no DISNEY-not even close.I went to Universal in Cali when I was a kid-so long ago they still had the CYLONS from the origional Battlestar Galictica attack the trams.I dont bash Universal but I comes nowhere close to Disney.It is in fact at this point very stale in my opinion.I have no want or need to go back there ever.Im a Disneyman!:sohappy:

will_rogers

i think at one point UNiversal Studios did in fact blow D/MGM out of the water. THre used to be a plethora of production, faux production that looked legit, lots of streetmo and their cityscapes (esp NY) are incredible. Now, almost all of that is gone. the only thing better is the cityscapes but now those big while orbs block any picture opportunity. WIth D/MGM resurrected streetmo, that more than makes up for D/MGM's shortcomings.

Another thing, Universal doesn't keep true to it's theme. Shrek in Production Central with a soundstage that looks like a castle and says nothing about PRODUCTION??? New show to be aired...but from Islands of Adventure.

I think whoever said it a few posts ago was right, you don't feel like a welcomed guest, but a customer. LAstly, and almost ironically, IOA was built by people that were barely ex-imagineers (and you can easily tell) but UO's bad managemnt kept that park from it's potential. USF's grand opening was a disaster, and a lot of people had defected from WDW to go open that park. It just goes to show you that you need a team of people that gel and become creative, not just some indivuduals that you lured from somewhere better. WDW knows how to create and operate as teams. that is part of their success and one of the ingredients that helps keep WDW creations "magical".

Paul&chris2005

Now I know I shouldnt say this, but I have been visiting the Orlando for the last 17years and in that time visited all the 8 Major parks (Disney, Uni, Sea World & BGT) and for 16 of those 17 Years Uni Studios has always been the top of my list, I grew up watching the films that the rides are based on, so it was always amazing when we went, I loved the rides, the feel to the park and the way the place was run - but when we went this year it was so different. The current owners have started to run the place into the groud - and its a real shame. Disney is so far ahead of them on every level now that I dont see how they can make up the ground, they need to do what Epcot and AK has done since 2000 - out with the old and in with the new. They need to realise that an amazing simulator ride, or show, top notch dark ride, anything (theres no need for a huge coaster) to fraw people in - RoTM is pretty good, but it doesnt hold a candle to M:S or EE etc.

The Blueman Group will be good for a while, but I know for a fact that the show wont change once it starts and that will draw locals away from it after they have seen it once, unlike EE and other recent investments at WDW with keep drawing people in, and more importantly back in for a 2nd, 3rd, 4th look.

If they could just tap into a recent film success and go for it, everyone hear slates the Pixar invasion, but at least your kids know who the charecters are, the rides are (generally) good - even Stitch would look like a ride crafted by god in the Uni Studios, stand that next to ET.

I really dont know what they should do, but they need to do something, this Simpsons ride replacing BTTF, surely the management must realise that it'll take more than a re-painted DeLorean and a new film on the screen to save the place. The reduced hours of food outlets, shops and rides needs to be addressed also, along with cattle prods being introduced to sort the staff out - they look unhappy and bored when they work :wave:

end rant......

the-reason14

I used to despise and hate Universal with a passion, and anything, like this articles, that bashed it and made it look bad, I would enjoy reading. I also hated the marketing strategy, I still dont like it, but I just hated every little thing about it that made fun of disney and what they do best.

But now since Im older and havent been to it since like 2000, I must say that I probably am going to have to go back someday. The way they market it making it look like if you come to our park your cool, and we have all the fun adult/teenage/hip things at our park. They do offer a good alternative to disney, and thats maybe why I wanna go back since Im alittle older now. But I dont know, disney has always been the number 1 for me, I guess I never gave Universal a chance because I was afraid they would become the new number 1 for me.

SIR90210

I went to Universal Hollywood in November of 2002, and the actual studio portion beat out MGM by its history, but the theme park was just OK, Back to the Future was dated, as was ET, and the fact that their stunt show was based on Water World is really bizzare. CityWalk, however, was pretty good. In Orlando, I've only been to CityWalk, specifically Emeril's, and while the restaurant itself was quite impressive, the teen-oriented atmosphere turned me off (this is when I was 13.5, so a bit young for the demographic, but still...) I think Universal could turn itself around and become a contender, but only if they see a drastic change in management soon. Actually, I'd welcome such a thing, as copmetition can only be good.

Maerj

I thought it was funny that on our last trip to Universal, back in May, they kept saying "We don't have to be nice to you...we're not Disney!" Of course they were trying to be hip, cool or irionic but they were right. They aren't Disney and they were not being nice. On several attractions you are told to "Get out!" at the end.

That said, there are still some great attractions there. T-2 is still cool, Shrek was fun and the Mummy coaster was pretty amazing. The parks weren't very crowded at all and we were done with them by 6pm. Actually, I thought that the lamest thing I saw while I was there was that they were selling t-shirts that were knock offs of Disney's shirts this year. I'm talking about the black shirts that have Mickey, Donald and the gang watching fireworks with the park icons around them. Universal took the same thing and replaced them with Shrek and they have the moon instead of Spaceship Earth. Universal doesn't even usually have fireworks! :lol: oh well...

wjaye918

i think at one point UNiversal Studios did in fact blow D/MGM out of the water. THre used to be a plethora of production, faux production that looked legit, lots of streetmo and their cityscapes (esp NY) are incredible. Now, almost all of that is gone. the only thing better is the cityscapes but now those big while orbs block any picture opportunity. WIth D/MGM resurrected streetmo, that more than makes up for D/MGM's shortcomings.

Another thing, Universal doesn't keep true to it's theme. Shrek in Production Central with a soundstage that looks like a castle and says nothing about PRODUCTION??? New show to be aired...but from Islands of Adventure.

I think whoever said it a few posts ago was right, you don't feel like a welcomed guest, but a customer. LAstly, and almost ironically, IOA was built by people that were barely ex-imagineers (and you can easily tell) but UO's bad managemnt kept that park from it's potential. USF's grand opening was a disaster, and a lot of people had defected from WDW to go open that park. It just goes to show you that you need a team of people that gel and become creative, not just some indivuduals that you lured from somewhere better. WDW knows how to create and operate as teams. that is part of their success and one of the ingredients that helps keep WDW creations "magical".

I only went to IOA one day in 2004. How is it easy to tell that ex-Imagineers built it? Why did they leave Disney? Please fill me in on this story. Thanks.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Maybe it's just because I'm old, too. But his skin looks worn. Teeth that had been white daggers of death now appear decayed with gingivitis.
:confused: The thing was just refurbished not too long ago, looks perfectly fine.

Consider these movies on which rides are based: Earthquake came out in 1974 and Jaws in 1975.

Back to the Future, which featured Michael J. Fox as a teenager, came out 20 years ago. Terminator 2 came out 15 years ago.

This is your dad's theme park.
Raiders of the Lost Ark - 25 years ago
Star Wars - 29 years ago
Muppet Show/Muppet Movie - 30 years ago/27 years ago
The Little Mermaid - 17 years ago
Honey, I Shrunk the Kids - 17 years ago
The Twilight Zone - 47 years ago

There's also the MK dark rides based on films that came out 50+ years ago....

Once, its rides were top-of-the-line. But now when you go in Twister, the cables that swing a cow through the air are painfully visible. It looks like an Ed Wood production.
It's supposed to be funny....and if you want to talk about stuff being "painfully visible," why not mention the "painfully visible" KUKA Robocoaster system that the angler fish is attached to in The Seas with Nemo and Friends?

Meanwhile, down I-4, Disney is decked out in all its Christmas splendor with new attractions galore.
Oh, so there are no decorations currently up in USF/IOA and they both don't have special Christmas events? :rolleyes:

The Fantasmic show is the best I've ever seen.
Talk about an old attraction....yeah, it's only 8 years old here, but it's been around Disneyland for 14.

you really appreciate Disney's crowd management and logistics with the queues when you visit other parks.
Crowd management at Disney is good? :eek:

And also once Islands of Adventures was built the park started to become extremely dirty. The blaring music they play also makes me want to just walk on out, and head back to Disney.
Dirty? :confused: :brick:

Blaring music in IOA? Each island has its own custom score --- it's not like they've got hip-hop/rap or rock music playing.

the only thing better is the cityscapes but now those big while orbs block any picture opportunity.
Only from around the lagoon, and it's not like you can't get a position that doesn't show them.

Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor Comedy Club in TOMORROWland
Star Tours in a soundstage that looks like the Ewok Forest

I thought it was funny that on our last trip to Universal, back in May, they kept saying "We don't have to be nice to you...we're not Disney!" Of course they were trying to be hip, cool or irionic but they were right. They aren't Disney and they were not being nice. On several attractions you are told to "Get out!" at the end.
Um, I believe they only say that in the Horror Make-Up Show....

As for "get out!"....which attraction(s) were they actually saying that at?

Actually, I thought that the lamest thing I saw while I was there was that they were selling t-shirts that were knock offs of Disney's shirts this year. I'm talking about the black shirts that have Mickey, Donald and the gang watching fireworks with the park icons around them. Universal took the same thing and replaced them with Shrek and they have the moon instead of Spaceship Earth. Universal doesn't even usually have fireworks! :lol: oh well...
Yeah, I'm sure merchandising just said one day, "Hey, let's make a knock-off of this one WDW t-shirt!" :rolleyes:

cab5f

I Loved The Article. My Family And I Go To Orlando Every June For 16 Years Straight, And For The First Time In A Long Time Were Axing Universal Orlando Out Of Our Trip And Replacing Those Two Days With More Days At Disney. Im 18 Years Old, And Universal's Park Should Attract Me But It Doesn't. They Have Done Nothing With The Park. Everything is Broken, Beaten, And Rugged.

Victor

It's sad to read this article, because USF really did used to blow MGM out of the water. In fact, it probably still could if they kept up with it. In my book, IOA beats out MGM and AK as far as an overall fullfilling day at a theme park goes. However, IOA really needs to add something big and new. There hasn't been a single major attraction added since it opened!

I-4Warrior

Yikes, scathing article, but much in it is true. I really do like Universal, but they are in dire need of some serious refurbishment. Sad fact is that the only reason I go to Universal at all at this point is because of Halloween Horror Nights (Disney has nothing that can compare to that event). I would make more trips to the U if they would add a new attraction every couple of years. Heck, they haven't put anything new into IOA since it opened as far as I can recall. At least the Mouse makes a point of adding a couple new rides/attractions/shows each year to try to keep things fresh instead of becoming stagnant like the parks up the road.

Connor002

Certainly this says something about Universal's management strategies.
Perhaps they could use a few pointers from their competition.

Epcot82Guy

INteresting read. However, I guess I have seen things differently. I think that USF is much better than IOA. I am one of the few that really finds IOA half-contrived and unfocused. USF is still a nice park that is better than it has been at times in the past. I do think the article posed some criticisms that are equally shared against Disney, but, on the whole, Disney has done a better job of putting money back into the parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom