Around the Resorts in 30 Days

Daveeeeed

That sounds awesome! (not the ear infection) but that you had a great trip!

Were you able to do much at the Yacht Club or was it more just a quick stayover and then to the parks?
We spent all day Saturday at the Yacht Club, enjoying the view, the epic sand bottom pools, lazy river, some volleyball, and the slide, ate a burger @ Crew's Cup, watched IROE from the room, and then went to sleep early around 10 as the night before I stayed up until 3:30am with new friends on the ship (8 of them). Literally may be the best week of my life. Today we sat on the balcony for a bit, walked over to Epcot and ate at Chefs De France, and rode Frozen, Soarin', and Spaceship Earth and called it a day and headed back home.

Honestly for a teenager the cruise is mind boggling fun especially if you find a couple good friends. The Vibe (club for 14-17 year olds) is so well done -- from the amazing activities like magic shows, That's Hilarious, Match Your Mate, Gender Wars etc. and the private pool, cards, football tables etc. I came on with 1 friend and by me and m friend meeting 1 person it was able to spread to their friend, their friend made a friend which had a sister etc.
We also would go to areas where we technically weren't supposed to, but they didn't care.

The food, the entertainment (shows, fireworks, parties, & activities), the service, the clubs, the family experience while also being able to do what you and your friends/age-group want to do, the upscale feel (every elevator has marble flooring), the ship just simply looks beautiful! -- it's truly an even better version of how Disney used to be.

So now... us 9 are super good friends now.

So away from my rant it was so so so good.
Highly recommend it, but I cannot guarantee the same epic experience :D.

I will say though the Aladdin show would honestly work as a shorter-length broadway show.

Last edited:

spacemt354

Chili's
--Day 2--
February 27th 2017

--Location--
Disney's Boardwalk Inn

--Title--
ESPN Club Refurbishment

--Resort Ambiance--

--Introduction--
75776C6F-BEC3-429C-9381-E9EEDD81EA94.JPG

Getting a head start on tomorrow's (today's) project. For this, we take a stroll from Stormalong Bay and travel across Crescent Lake to Disney's Boardwalk Inn Resort. Another charming deluxe resort in the Epcot Resort area, it boasts actually a large variety of restaurant and food options including the newly opening AbracadaBar that is located adjacent to the Flying Fish. I walked in there over the summer and it was a really neat design.
abracadabar-sign-featured-image.jpg

Disney-Boardwalk-AbracadaBar-4-700x466.jpg

Anyway -- along with eateries such as the ice cream parlor, to the more adult section of JellyRolls and the Atlantic Dance Hall, the theme of the eateries revolves around the Atlantic City Boardwalk feel back in the 1920s...except for .....

The ESPN Club
116.jpg

Believe me -- I am a huge sports fan. Basketball, Football, Baseball, Hockey, you name it -- I watch it. So having a place as enticing as the ESPN Club one would think would be a fun place for me to visit, or any other sports fans. The problem is, not only is it in the wrong place, but the novelty of the restaurant passes after the first visit. Yeah, it's fun at first to watch TV in the bathroom (yes, they have that) but I don't care enough for the food itself when it's overpriced ball-park food, and in any restaurant you can sit down at dinner and watch a sports game. Half the time in the restaurant, most of the visible TVs are showing the same game, and even if they were showing multiple games, how are you watching two games at once.

I also think the technology age has faded this novelty. Back in 2005, I remember walking on the Boardwalk heading to Epcot -- and my dad and I would want to sneak a peak through the window to see the Yankees score on TV.

Now though, if I really want to...I can just check the score on my phone, or even stream the game itself. Watching games in full on TV has become a faded commodity, and if the food is average, and the whole point of going to the restaurant is to be surrounded by scores that you can simply look up on your phone, then what is the point?

That -- and I mentioned this in the Shark Tank, but ESPN is losing a ton of subscribers and is becoming a hassle for Disney to own. In the next 5 years, I wouldn't be surprised if Disney sells it off to another company to cut their losses.

December 1, 2016
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/espn-lost-million-subscribers_us_583ef00be4b04fcaa4d5f2a8

Lastly, Disney Quest is being replaced with a sports themed NBA Experience -- so that combined with the "ESPN" Wide-World of Sports, should be enough sports for any and all fans.
https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...isneyquest-at-disney-springs-to-close-july-3/

So with all that out of the way -- let's gut the restaurant...but what to put in its place?

Well -- the Boardwalk has enough fine dining, as does the rest of the resort area with not only World Showcase, but the Yachtsman Steakhouse, Shula's, and others in the area. Even though it is more generic fast food...why not make it into a "food court" style area? Something that harkons back to the old 1920s Atlantic City Boardwalk hot dog stands, candy soups, ribs, french fries, and more. All offerings would be moderately priced, $10-14 dollars per person for an average meal, in which you could mix and match. Maybe some corndogs, with fries and a soup. Or a hamburger, with cotton candy and a waffle ice-cream sandwich. Any amount of combinations can be selected in the food court, then you sit in either the center, or a new covered outdoor seating area next to the court, looking out onto Crescent Lake.

The exterior could resemble parts of the image below, since there are no resort rooms where the ESPN Club currently sits, you can modify the facade to fit the 1920s aesthetic.
74f3e4f3cb260ce14dbc4a938b406596.jpg

Speaking of aesthetic...looking up inspiration for this, I found this imagine which looks like it might have been inspiration for the design of the Boardwalk itself.
4a12663vx.jpg_6.jpg

BoardwalkInn.jpg

Overall, while it may not be the most flashy replacement, it seems like a refurb that would not only add to the 1920s Atlantic City feel, but solve a pet peeve of mine the last few years in terms of theme at the Boardwalk.

Hope you enjoyed! As always comments with feedback are welcome!​

spacemt354

Chili's
--Day 3--
February 28, 2017

--Location--
Crescent Lake

--Title--
Disney's Friendship Boat Refurbishments

--Resort Ambiance--

--Introduction--
20160626_080451_zpsw2zkg6up.jpg

Sticking in the Epcot Resort Area for the time being, today we're going to be focusing on the means of transportation around the different resorts. By now I'm sure we've all heard of the rumored Gondola transportation project potentially coming to this area - with a stop by the International Gateway and traveling south to DHS as well as other places. With this newfound transportation - maybe some updates/refurbishments to the Friendship Boat lines are in order as well.

While I really enjoy the Friendship Boats, I do prefer walking to both Epcot and DHS from these resorts, and the boat while relaxing, is mostly indoors and you can't sit outside without getting the whiff of boat fuel when you sit in the back and outside. Unlike the Magic Kingdom area boats, where the entire boat is open air, or the front half of the boat is open air.
IMG_7186-001.jpg

Changing the boat line between the Yacht/Beach, Swan/Dolphin, and Boardwalk into something more open air and an "experience" would provide a tempting alternative to the gondolas if they are overcrowded at a time. And at the same time, it isn't like Disney hasn't used this style of boat before - they are using it right now between the Magic Kingdom Resorts.

While the capacity is lower than the Friendship boats now...time will tell how much capacity the gondolas take away from the boat transportation at Epcot. How many people will want to continue to take the boat, if there is another, faster way. When it becomes the second mode of transportation, or the quickest transportation for maybe only the Swan/Dolphin guests, could there be a more open-air alternative?

I think it would be something different, and bring the boat transportation to a more quaint and visceral experience, with some great views, rather than the enclosed format it is in now.​

spacemt354

Chili's
--Day 4--
March 1, 2017

--Location--
Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa

--Title--
New Walking Paths and Scenic Routes

--Resort Ambiance--

--Introduction--
Marina-at-Disneys-Grand-Floridian-from-yourfirstvisit.net_.jpg

The "flagship" resort of Walt Disney World, Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa, has a wide variety of popular spots to visit and explore, one of my favorite hideaways being relatively unknown in the grand scene of the resort (pardon the pun). Most of the beauty I find in the resort is along the docks, particularly by the Gasparilla Island Grill, as you can see the castle from the quick service seating areas.
Gasparilla-Island-Grill-Grand-Floridian-door.jpg

*back in my day* -- when I was little we were fortunate enough to stay at the Grand Floridian a few times, and while I don't remember much of it, I do remember looking out onto the Seven Seas Lagoon from Gasparilla and seeing the castle in the distance. It would be the first stop we would take on the trip and would let me know that I was in Disney World. I always enjoyed that special spot, because I think it has such a cool view.

Granted I also liked Gasparilla because it had arcade games in it.
gasparilla-grill-and-games-00.jpg

Now they are gone:eek::grumpy:
Gasparilla-Island-Grill_Full_17860.jpg

200_s.gif

It's funny what nostalgia can do, because in a later episode we will be traveling back to the Beach Club to explore Beaches and Cream along with the Lafferty Arcade next door, and how I'd remove it to expand the restaurant, and how I took out the arcade games in the ESPN Club because they are outdated. Now I complain that arcade games are taken out of a more high class resort. The hypocrisy of fans:p

Anyway -- moving onto the actual addition. The scenic route of Gasparilla is something that is special for the Grand, and I wanted to find more ways in which the Grand FLoridian could take advantage of its prime location in WDW. From the monorail, if you look down as you approach the Magic Kingdom, you can see a footpath...to nowhere.

run2.jpg

All lit up and decked out as it is on the opposite side of the Magic Kingdom entrance towards the Contemporary, but leading to nowhere. I've always thought this was a missed opportunity, because why decorate it so much if it just leads to nothing? And with the Grand Floridian being the last stop on the monorail at night, and the boats always being overcrowded, why not have a 3rd option for guests paying top dollar to stay at the "flagship" resort?

The only thing that has been stopping this expanded walkway is the electrical water pageant floats. But to that I say, why can't you just build an elevated footbridge, like most highways have (at least where I live in the northeast)

Highway footbridges are everywhere, and if a few stairs are all that is stopping the Grand Floridian to be connected to the Magic Kingdom via a walkway, then why not build it?

pedestrianbridgeoverhighway3d_43501.jpg

A sample bridge.

Given the heigh of most floats, the brigdge would probably go up about 25-30 feet in the air and then come back down on the other side of the inlet of the Lagoon.
electrical-water-pageant-gallery00.jpg

In total, from the entrance to the resort (at the monorail station) to the entrance of the Magic Kingdom, this walking path would be 0.80 miles one way (less than the pathway from Epcot to Disney's Hollywood Studios which is about 1 mile)

This would provide guests of Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa, an option to walk back after the fireworks if the monorail and boat lines are very long, offer a great view of the water pagent at night, and a scenic view of the Seven Seas Lagoon during the daytime. It would also connect the TTC to the Polynesian to the Grand to Magic Kingdom and to the Contemporary all by walkways, uniting the Magic Kingdom resort area even further.

spacemt354

Chili's
--Day 5--
March 1, 2017

--Location--
Disney's Polynesian Village Resort

--Title--
Never-Built Concepts

--Resort Ambiance--

--Introduction--
Polynesian-Village-Resort-Sign.jpg

Today with the 5th edition of the Around the World in 30 Days, I'm going to try something different, and instead of design a new tidbit for Walt Disney World -- take a look back at a "What If" scenario - pertaining to the next door neighbor of the Grand Floridian, Disney's Polynesian Village Resort.

An exotic getaway and a WDW original in 1971, the Polynesian Village Resort was actually supposed to look much different than what it looks like today. Early concept art for the resort included a 12-story town, with several smaller buildings around it. The main tower would have included the lobby, retail, restaurants, meeting space as well as guest rooms. It would have also (probably in place of 'Ohana) included a South Seas dining room in the main building.

This design would have paralleled Disney's Contemporary Resort across the Seven Seas Lagoon, having two towers dominate the Magic Kingdom Resort Skyline.
3.jpg

Eventually the 12-story tower gave rise to the village concept and the Great Ceremonial House as the main concourse, leading to the design we have today.
11.jpg

But what if...Disney's Polynesian Resort looked the way it was originally intended to? What would the skyline look like? Would it have influenced other Disney Resorts to model the tower and surrounding buildings design?
1.jpg

Funny that we bring this up considering the new tower being built for Disney's Coronado Springs -- which would now look similar to what the Polynesian Resort could have looked like.
coronado-springs-concept-art-disney-world.jpg

So this idea is more of an open ended project for the day...asking the question -- what Disney resort(s) do you think would have adapted the Contemporary design, if the Polynesian Resort was built as intended, and started a trend of those kind of resorts? Do you think we could have seen more skylines across Walt Disney World?

Comment below and discuss! For one I think the Grand Floridian could have been a tower. More like the Plaza Hotel in New York City.
5ef73cef7d341d9d67486ff6f4c28510.jpg

spacemt354

Chili's
--Day 6--
March 3, 2017

--Location--
Magic Kingdom - Tom Sawyer Island

--Title--
Geyser Mountain

--Ambiance--
tom-sawyer-island-00.jpg

--Introduction--
29908666100_119c7b4234_b.jpg

On Day 6 of this 30 Day personal challenge -- we've reached the first attraction addition to the theme parks, starting with an old concept in WDI that I've always been fond of and would be interested to see come to fruition (however realistic or unrealistic that may be). Tom Sawyer Island is a unique feature in most of the Magic Kingdom parks, however being an island, it leaves some things to be desired in regards to accessibility and popularity. Typically having to travel on raft across the Rivers of America to get there, in the fast paced nature of theme park goers today - most people don't dedicate an hour or two of their trip to the Magic Kingdom in order to walk around an island with trails and caves. To be fair, even while I enjoy it, we rarely make the trek over to the island due to the amount of time it takes to explore, and the dedicated time we'd have to set aside for it. That, and we usually travel during the warmest months of the year, which adds to the unwillingness to walk around in 90 degree heat and humidity for a few hours.

After that long introduction and explanation, let's get into the actual attraction. Several similarities could be placed towards Big Thunder Mountain Railroad - and others could point to the location and say that Frontierland already has enough attractions. I debated putting it in Adventureland, but the Up attraction we made in the House Cup I really enjoy and now that is the main attraction I'd want to place there haha. So let's assume that Geyser Mountain will be placed on Tom Sawyer Island - and a connecting pathway across the Rivers of America is built, ending the Liberty Bell Riverboat (however guests can still walk on the docked boat where there will be Princess and the Frog meet and greets.

----------------------

Geyser Mountain Stats
Ticket - D+
Ride Type - Dark Ride Hybrid
Theme - Wyoming/Montana Mountain Range

Attraction Walk-Through
The story of the attraction will be tied to the backstory of Ezekiel Moreland and the Wilderness Lodge - in the respect that explorers in the Northwest, travel through the Mountains in search of gold, but end up finding something more majestic than they imagined. An entire mountain range filled with geysers and breath-taking waterfalls, unlike anything they had ever seen. They also thought that the mountain itself was the opposite karma of the stories they heard down in Arizona and Tumbleweed - where the mountain range was haunted. Instead, in Geyser Mountain - it was swirling beautiful Soon after discovering this town - the settlers set up a small town on the foothills of the mountain range, and lived there for many years in the wilderness.

Queue
20160713_195335_zpsuzmtudmf.jpg

The queue winds through some of the old town buildings and lodges at the foothills of the mountain range, and the attraction itself, unlike Big Thunder, is not a thrill ride, but a family dark ride. Similar to the new Na'vi boat ride opening up in Disney's Animal Kingdom - this attraction would take guests around Geyser Mountain - focusing on the detail and beauty rather than the thrills and chills. The slow moving horse drawn carriage would travel through the town and into the mountain side where the "spirits" of the mountain range would allow guests to see the beauty inside.

Ride-Through (Scenes)

Scene 1 - Town
Riding through the neighboring town of Geyser Mountain
IMG_8023.JPG

Scene 2 - Entrance
You are guided into the mountain with a glowing blue light and enter inside following the guidelines of the spirits; geysers shoot off around you.
8048974466_97c7d39f53_h-700x467.jpg

vshellfalls2.jpg

Scene 3 - Waterfalls
Entering the mountainside, large waterfalls and majestic music swell in the background. Going inside the mountain - luminescent lights flicker and guide you further into the core (this part is similar to the opening of JttCotE)
geyser-lady-knox-new-zealand.jpg

Scene 4 - The Core
Continuing through you begin to ascend up the mountain and the spirits guide you through a boiling pit - and you smell the air of sulfur that is emanated from geysers.
DSC_7123.jpg

Scenes 5-7 - New World
3559343-2918277360-jupit.jpg

Inside the mountain, traveling a bit quicker down the descent - you past through a whole world inside the mountain itself and soar around the ridges and canyons that can be seen inside the mountain itself, before coming out of the mountain and back to the town and unload area.

--------------------

Conclusion/Takeaways

So while the ride through is basically the elevator pitch for the attraction - and I still need to work out some kinks, I haven't seen something like this done before with Geyser Mountain and wanted to give it a try. It's basically a hybrid of Journey to the Center of the Earth and Big Thunder Mountain. While there could be a better placement for this attraction (maybe at Disney SEA lol) this could be the start of making Tom Sawyer Island its own "mini-land" separate from Frontierland. That way, while there are similarities (such as Critter Country to Frontierland) -- you can branch off into a more mythic based area in the Magic Kingdom. A mythical frontier island essentially, which is something again that I haven't seen done on here.

Definitely could use some tinkering with this one -- so if possible I'd like to hear some of your ideas as well! @S.P.E.W @StevenU @Pionmycake @Magic Feather @kmbmw777 and more -- if you have any suggestions to make this attraction better and/or based on location, theme, anything. Thank you!!:bookworm:

Tune in tomorrow for the Day 7 edition of Around the Resorts in 30 Days!:)

Suchomimus

--Day 6--
March 3, 2017

--Location--
Magic Kingdom - Tom Sawyer Island

--Title--
Geyser Mountain

--Ambiance--
tom-sawyer-island-00.jpg

--Introduction--
29908666100_119c7b4234_b.jpg

On Day 6 of this 30 Day personal challenge -- we've reached the first attraction addition to the theme parks, starting with an old concept in WDI that I've always been fond of and would be interested to see come to fruition (however realistic or unrealistic that may be). Tom Sawyer Island is a unique feature in most of the Magic Kingdom parks, however being an island, it leaves some things to be desired in regards to accessibility and popularity. Typically having to travel on raft across the Rivers of America to get there, in the fast paced nature of theme park goers today - most people don't dedicate an hour or two of their trip to the Magic Kingdom in order to walk around an island with trails and caves. To be fair, even while I enjoy it, we rarely make the trek over to the island due to the amount of time it takes to explore, and the dedicated time we'd have to set aside for it. That, and we usually travel during the warmest months of the year, which adds to the unwillingness to walk around in 90 degree heat and humidity for a few hours.

After that long introduction and explanation, let's get into the actual attraction. Several similarities could be placed towards Big Thunder Mountain Railroad - and others could point to the location and say that Frontierland already has enough attractions. I debated putting it in Adventureland, but the Up attraction we made in the House Cup I really enjoy and now that is the main attraction I'd want to place there haha. So let's assume that Geyser Mountain will be placed on Tom Sawyer Island - and a connecting pathway across the Rivers of America is built, ending the Liberty Bell Riverboat (however guests can still walk on the docked boat where there will be Princess and the Frog meet and greets.

----------------------

Geyser Mountain Stats
Ticket - D+
Ride Type - Dark Ride Hybrid
Theme - Wyoming/Montana Mountain Range

Attraction Walk-Through
The story of the attraction will be tied to the backstory of Ezekiel Moreland and the Wilderness Lodge - in the respect that explorers in the Northwest, travel through the Mountains in search of gold, but end up finding something more majestic than they imagined. An entire mountain range filled with geysers and breath-taking waterfalls, unlike anything they had ever seen. They also thought that the mountain itself was the opposite karma of the stories they heard down in Arizona and Tumbleweed - where the mountain range was haunted. Instead, in Geyser Mountain - it was swirling beautiful Soon after discovering this town - the settlers set up a small town on the foothills of the mountain range, and lived there for many years in the wilderness.

Queue
20160713_195335_zpsuzmtudmf.jpg

The queue winds through some of the old town buildings and lodges at the foothills of the mountain range, and the attraction itself, unlike Big Thunder, is not a thrill ride, but a family dark ride. Similar to the new Na'vi boat ride opening up in Disney's Animal Kingdom - this attraction would take guests around Geyser Mountain - focusing on the detail and beauty rather than the thrills and chills. The slow moving horse drawn carriage would travel through the town and into the mountain side where the "spirits" of the mountain range would allow guests to see the beauty inside.

Ride-Through (Scenes)

Scene 1 - Town
Riding through the neighboring town of Geyser Mountain
IMG_8023.JPG

Scene 2 - Entrance
You are guided into the mountain with a glowing blue light and enter inside following the guidelines of the spirits; geysers shoot off around you.
8048974466_97c7d39f53_h-700x467.jpg

vshellfalls2.jpg

Scene 3 - Waterfalls
Entering the mountainside, large waterfalls and majestic music swell in the background. Going inside the mountain - luminescent lights flicker and guide you further into the core (this part is similar to the opening of JttCotE)
geyser-lady-knox-new-zealand.jpg

Scene 4 - The Core
Continuing through you begin to ascend up the mountain and the spirits guide you through a boiling pit - and you smell the air of sulfur that is emanated from geysers.
DSC_7123.jpg

Scenes 5-7 - New World
3559343-2918277360-jupit.jpg

Inside the mountain, traveling a bit quicker down the descent - you past through a whole world inside the mountain itself and soar around the ridges and canyons that can be seen inside the mountain itself, before coming out of the mountain and back to the town and unload area.

--------------------

Conclusion/Takeaways

So while the ride through is basically the elevator pitch for the attraction - and I still need to work out some kinks, I haven't seen something like this done before with Geyser Mountain and wanted to give it a try. It's basically a hybrid of Journey to the Center of the Earth and Big Thunder Mountain. While there could be a better placement for this attraction (maybe at Disney SEA lol) this could be the start of making Tom Sawyer Island its own "mini-land" separate from Frontierland. That way, while there are similarities (such as Critter Country to Frontierland) -- you can branch off into a more mythic based area in the Magic Kingdom. A mythical frontier island essentially, which is something again that I haven't seen done on here.

Definitely could use some tinkering with this one -- so if possible I'd like to hear some of your ideas as well! @S.P.E.W @StevenU @Pionmycake @Magic Feather @kmbmw777 and more -- if you have any suggestions to make this attraction better and/or based on location, theme, anything. Thank you!!:bookworm:

Tune in tomorrow for the Day 7 edition of Around the Resorts in 30 Days!:)
Coming up with a ride vehicle design and maybe adding in some wildlife would help.

spacemt354

Chili's
--Day 7--
March 4, 2017

--Location--
Mission:SPACE - Epcot

--Title--
The Red Planet

--Ambiance--

--Introduction--
mars-surface-wallpaper-3.jpg

On Day 7 now (a bit delayed due to some personal business - and sadly a bit shorter than intended) we have arrived...in outer space. In 2003, Mission:SPACE opened in Epcot's Future World as an out of this world turbulence and realistic experience of a flight into space. With naturalistic G-forces, and motion sickness paralyzing the attraction's earlier years, the attraction is stuck in a sort of limbo, where it will eventually become outdated (since it takes place in 2036). In order to update it and keep it fresh, while we won't dismantle everything the attraction has to offer, we will take the "thrill" element out of it, and open it up to more awe inspired scenery of space.

In order to save on budget, we will be using the same enclosed cockpits that were designed for the original attraction -- however we will be modulating them and modifying them to fit the new narrative of the attraction. Instead of traveling to Mars, when walking inside the Mission Control Center, you will be carrying out a mission on the red planet itself. More of a dark ride than a thrill ride, however there will be thrills involved.

The nature of this change is to make the attraction more like Star Tours and accessible, as well as keep some thrill elements involved (the Green side is already a Star Tours style attraction, it would only be making the whole attraction in that capacity.

A similar queue format to what is there now will be included -- the main changes will be to the narration of the attraction - in which you will pilot your enclosed vehicles through the terrain of Mars - making the attraction more interactive and unpredictable than what it is now.
6956-1867x1050.jpg

--The Experience--

You detach supplies from a revolving satellite around Mars for your Mission. Your Engineer presses the button and the supplies come parachuting down to the surface of Mars. Your pilot then engages the manual control and pushes the vehicle forward towards the supplies.
exomars_2016_approaching_mars.jpg

The Navigator redirects the pilot if he/she gets lost or isn't participating on the mission, however if all else fails, the cabin can switch to automatic control for the duration of the mission - but it is more fun to use the controls, as the controls are indeed manual and you can roam around the surface of Mars. The only thing that is automated in that case is if you veer too far off track, the automation will kick in and lead you to the direction you're supposed to be in at the certain time for the attraction narrative to proceed.

You pick up the supplies which are drilling equipment for your mission to drill for water on the planet. The first part of the attraction is very slow paced, enjoying the scenery of the Red Planet, and a calming narration telling you of all the things that we have discovered on the planet itself. NASA research and Disney would collaborate for this project to ensure the most up to date information.
mars1.jpg

The second half of the attraction is more thrilling however. You cross over into the mountainous terrain when suddenly there is a shaking of the ground. The Commander presses the button to upload the shields, but as everyone sees in the distance, a massive dust storm is approaching and you need to find shelter.

Being too far away from your base camp you press the ignition on the rover and press forward at a faster pace, turning and twisting around. There is a nitrous button in which the pilot presses that jolts the vehicle upwards and over a cliff, onto the other side and further away from the oncoming storm.
curiosity-mount-sharp-foothills.jpg

The mountains become more and more treacherous, the dust begins to swell around the vehicle.
pia17447.jpg

In the distance, a massive dust storm now swells in front of you, completely encapsulating the vehicles and creating an intense shaking of the pod. The pilot races off into a canyon and soars down to avoid the massive dust swell. Fortunately, you survive to live another day, manage to get the task done for the day, and head back to your basecamp.
26428337c1df45560250ceb795bc4af4.jpg

At the basecamp, your capcom tells you that while there is beauty and charm on the Red Planet, it is a hostile environment which should not be underestimated. You exit into the interactive kids play area and gift shop which is recreated as the Mars basecamp with more exploration for kids and adults.
bonneville_crater.jpg

Not as long as I had hoped, but that was the essential idea. To have more interactivity on the ride itself, making it more of a Toy Story Mania attraction, but without doing too much to the building itself (as in tearing it down and starting over)

But these Mars missions (if we even get to Mars by 2036 or so) shouldn't be out of date for several decades, as even if we get to Mars, these can be easily tweaked to just a new moon or planet (like Xanadu, Team Lassetoki?):D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom