Armed Forces Vacaction Club Condos?

We are planning our 6th trip to WDW in Nov, up till now we have always stayed in the All Stars resorts, but this year we are in the process of adopting three small foster children. So when we go we will have a total of 4 kids, and us so it will be a bit too expensive to stay in the moderate resorts etc on property. Since I am a former member of the U.S. Military I am a member if the Armed Forces Vacation Club. They have condos in Kissimee. I was wondering if any of you have ever stayed in any of these condos? If so what do you think of them, and are they worth it?

tink247

Sorry~ I can't answer your question. I just wanted to say congrats on your expanding family! I think that's a wonderful thing & what a way to celebrate! Have a great time!!:wave:

Upvote 0

Laura

We are planning our 6th trip to WDW in Nov, up till now we have always stayed in the All Stars resorts, but this year we are in the process of adopting three small foster children. So when we go we will have a total of 4 kids, and us so it will be a bit too expensive to stay in the moderate resorts etc on property. Since I am a former member of the U.S. Military I am a member if the Armed Forces Vacation Club. They have condos in Kissimee. I was wondering if any of you have ever stayed in any of these condos? If so what do you think of them, and are they worth it?

Well, which condos are they? I have a time share in Kissimmee which I've exchanged through RCI to stay all over Kissimmee and Orlando over the years.

Upvote 0
I also cannot comment about the condos. however, i would like to give you a hug and tell you that it is my belief that people who open their hearts and homes by adopting children get an automatic FastPass into heaven. Kudos to you and your family:sohappy:.

Upvote 0

disneydudette

I did a search through the Armed Forces Vacation Club site and it appears that once you enter your month of travel, several resorts pop up with availability.

It seems to be either 1 or 2 bedroom villas... but some resorts only offered 1 bedroom while others offered 2.

It might help if you narrow down your decision with dates, and resorts that can accomidate your family. I searched for Nov. 2008 and nearly a dozen resorts popped up for me, but some were for specific check-in dates and with certain room capacity limits.

These are all "public" resorts that anyone can book, so you'll probably be able to find some guest reviews through tripadvisor.com, expedia.com, orbitz.com, etc. I've personally stayed at Summer Bay and the Polynesian Isles, but those are only available for 4 people, not six :shrug:

This site has some GREAT rates for a weeklong villa... and you and your family deserve it!

Upvote 0

Texas84

Definitely try Shades of Green. The higher the rank, the more you pay. Plus you can get tax-free passes! Here's a tip: If you're a Lt. Col., don't say you're a full Colonel. You'll pay more! :lol:

Upvote 0

BuzzLite_Fran

Original Poster
i appreciate everyones kind words. I wish I could stay at Shades of Green, but since I am no longer active or reserve military i am ineligable. I did consider the All Stars suites, but it still is a little too much money.....I am probably going to try one of the villas. I will let you know how it goes.
thank you everyone for your encouragement about our family:)

Upvote 0

a2grafix

i appreciate everyones kind words. I wish I could stay at Shades of Green, but since I am no longer active or reserve military i am ineligable. I did consider the All Stars suites, but it still is a little too much money.....I am probably going to try one of the villas. I will let you know how it goes.
thank you everyone for your encouragement about our family:)

You are eligible even if you are retired military, if you worked for the Department of Defense.

Check out http://www.shadesofgreen.org and contact them.

Here is what they say are eligibility requirements --

Armed Forces Servicemembers and their families- Service Members on Active Duty, Reserve Components (Ready Reserve and National Guard; Reservists in Training) Cadets of Service Academies.

Other Uniformed Services- Members of the Commissioned Corps of the Public Health Service and Commissioned Corps of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration on active duty.

Armed Forces retirees and their family members- Armed Forces Retirees (and their families) who retired from active duty or retired from the Reserves with pay, and retired without pay (gray area).

Others separated from the Armed Forces and their family members- Honorably Discharged Veterans with 100% service-connected disability (and their families) and involuntarily separated service members under the Transition Assistance Management Program. Personnel separated under the Voluntary Seperation Incentive (VSI) and Special Separation Benefit (SSB) programs for two years after separation.

Special category- Medal of Honor Recipients.

Others associated with the Department of Defense- Former Prisoners of War (POWs) and spouses of current POWs or Service members missing in action. Unremarried surviving spouses of personnel who died while on active duty or while in retired status.
Former and/or surviving spouses and family members- Unremarried former spouses who were married to military members for at least 20 years while the military member was on active duty to the Armed Forces. Orphans of military members, when not adopted by new parents, under 21 years old (or over if they are incapable of supporting themselves, or 23 years old if they are in full-time study)

Other supporters of DoD- U.S. Federal employees when assigned in areas outside the U.S. Medical personnel under contract to the military DoD Component during periods when they are residing on the installation. Military personnel of foreign nations and their family members when on orders from the U.S. Armed Forces, or in overseas areas when the major command commander grants privileges in the best interest of the U.S. Paid members of the American Red Cross, Young Men's Christian Association, United Service Organization and other type 1 private organizations identified in DoD Instruction 1000.15 (reference (s)) when assigned with U.S. Armed Forces outside the U.S. U.S. employees of firms under contract to Department of Defense working on an installation when assigned in areas outside the U.S.

U.S. DoD civilians and family members- Both APF and NAF, and retired DoD civilians.
DoD contract personnel and technical representatives- Working full time on the installation.
Other Federal employees- Non DoD Federal employees working on a military installation.
Guests- Who are not otherwise eligible to use MWR programs, when specifically invited and accompanied by an authorized patron.

Members of the public within the U. S.- Leaders in the local community designated by the installation commander Individuals are recertified annually. Members of the general public can attend infrequent MWR-sponsored events when the installation meets controls established by the DoD Component, to include at minimum, to the following criteria:
Commander (General Manager) determines that adequate facilities are available and currently underutilized by authorized patrons

Written agreements are obtained from local government officials or other appropriate community leaders indicating that they have no objections to expanded use of military MWR programs

Allowing these individuals to use these facilities is beneficial to both the military members and civilians in the community
No conflict exists with Federal, State, or local lawsand specifically approved by the DoD Component. This approval authority may not be delegated below the Military Service level.

Others associated with the Department of Defense- Reserve Officers' Training Corps cadets when participating in field training or practice cruises. Delayed Entry/Delayed Training Program (DEP/DTP) recruits (these recruits are part of the Ready Reseve force.

Shades is a perfect location, right across the street from the Polynesian and the monorail, a 5-10 minute walk to the Transportation and Ticket Center. And believe me, they have golf carts to take you up the length of the drive-way to the walkway to the Poly.

I highly reccomend Shades, regardless if you are active, reserve, guard or retired. Best of luck!

shadesfront.jpg

Upvote 0

mousefan1972

thanks a2, I thought I had read that Retired Military personnel can use Shades. Belle

They can, under certain circumstances.

From shadesofgreen.org:

Armed Forces retirees and their family members- Armed Forces Retirees (and their families) who retired from active duty or retired from the Reserves with pay, and retired without pay (gray area).

Upvote 0

Disneyfalcon

I assume Buzzlite_Fran meant they were not retired from the military. Retired military can stay at Shades of Green anytime, but prior service (not officially retired) can not.

Buzzlite_Fran, I don't know if you knew this or not, but Shades of Green allows all prior service to stay there in January and September. You just need a current DD-214. They started this a year or two ago to honor all veterans and of course to help fill the resort in slow months!:)

Upvote 0

a2grafix

Belle and Falcon, all good information.

I'm so glad Disney recognizes the military and has a place for us to relax and play comfortably and economically.

It will be my vacation home for years to come for sure.

I'm 12 years in -- active, reserve and now guard -- all with the Air Force. I'm looking forward to working 8-10 more.

Upvote 0

Jarienn

Congrats on the expanding family and a big thank you to you for serving your country!

My husband is retired Air Force and we have looked into staying at one of the condos that participates in the Armed Forces Vacation Club. Most of these are pretty nice, but keep in mind that a few of them are quite a drive from the parks. We lived in Kissimmee for a while and I know for a fact that during busy times, a couple of these resorts would be about a 30-45 min drive to the parks.

For a family of 6, I would look at Orbit One, Westgate and Silver Lake. They're all within decent driving distance and can all accomodate larger families.

Upvote 0

princessmommy

:wave:We have stayed at both Summer BAy Resort and Vacation Village at PArkway through the AFVC. Summer Bay was bigger and rooms were bigger, but needed lots of updates (It was nice just not as nice as the pictures suggest) and the Vacation village condos were small, but so clean and well maintained that I would prefer that one anyday. Plus it is right there by the ramp to get into WDW. It would take you like 6 or seven minutes to get to MAgic Kingdom. We love the afvc!!! Can't beat the prices!!!

:shrug:Just a question to those who Ihave stayed in Shades of Green. Do they have buses that go to and from the parks like the other WDW resorts. Or do they just go like once in the morning and evening? We are thinking of staying there next time....

Upvote 0

mousefan1972

:wave:We have stayed at both Summer BAy Resort and Vacation Village at PArkway through the AFVC. Summer Bay was bigger and rooms were bigger, but needed lots of updates (It was nice just not as nice as the pictures suggest) and the Vacation village condos were small, but so clean and well maintained that I would prefer that one anyday. Plus it is right there by the ramp to get into WDW. It would take you like 6 or seven minutes to get to MAgic Kingdom. We love the afvc!!! Can't beat the prices!!!

:shrug:Just a question to those who Ihave stayed in Shades of Green. Do they have buses that go to and from the parks like the other WDW resorts. Or do they just go like once in the morning and evening? We are thinking of staying there next time....

Shades has buses that run continuously to the TTC to transfer to MK or Epoct. It's only about a 2 minute ride. They also have buses that run every hour to DHS and AK. Buses also run to the water parks and DTD, but not as frequently. You will be given a schedule at check in. The bus service isn't as good as it is at a Disney owned and operated resort, but defnitely not as bad as the offsite ones. The 2 times we've stayed at SoG we've walked to the Polynesian (10 minute walk) and taken Disney transport from there.

Upvote 0

a2grafix

Shades has buses that run continuously to the TTC to transfer to MK or Epoct. It's only about a 2 minute ride. They also have buses that run every hour to DHS and AK. Buses also run to the water parks and DTD, but not as frequently. You will be given a schedule at check in. The bus service isn't as good as it is at a Disney owned and operated resort, but defnitely not as bad as the offsite ones. The 2 times we've stayed at SoG we've walked to the Polynesian (10 minute walk) and taken Disney transport from there.

Even better (echoing what was said above ^ ^ ^ ^ ^), although Shades has its own shuttle service, you are a guest on Disney property. So, if you miss a Shades shuttle, walk across the street to the Polynesian or through the Poly to the transportation ticket center, and take a Disney shuttle, boat or monorail to where you need to go. Unfortunately, the Shades busses are limited in the frequency in transporting, so you can sometimes mix and match.

As well, if you need a quick ride to the end of Shades property I'm sure one of the attendants can zoom you up with their golf cart. All in all, the military AND Disney takes care of its guests. Back in October 2007 on my last trip, I rarely worried about transportation.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom