Arendelle, Motorboats, and Monorails

Yert3

You can't prove a negative. There have been countless people who have all come to the same conclusion. A problem exists, whether you see it or not. Analysis of a work isn't bound by the intent of the author.
Countless people think the moon landing is fake, musicians intentionally put satanic messages backwards in music, and believe in this Qanon thing that is happing now. That is all truly truly crazy stuff. Now, just because a lot of people have come to the same conclusion about something, doesn’t mean it’s correct. You say analysis isn’t bound by the intent of the author, but I don’t really get how you can say that. If I tell you something is red and you go “it’s not red, it’s blue.” Now, you may have come the conclusion that it’s blue, but that still doesn’t mean you’re right.

Professortango1

Countless people think the moon landing is fake, musicians intentionally put satanic messages backwards in music, and believe in this Qanon thing that is happing now. That is all truly truly crazy stuff. Now, just because a lot of people have come to the same conclusion about something, doesn’t mean it’s correct. You say analysis isn’t bound by the intent of the author, but I don’t really get how you can say that. If I tell you something is red and you go “it’s not red, it’s blue.” Now, you may have come the conclusion that it’s blue, but that still doesn’t mean you’re right.

We're not talking about pockets of conspiracy nuts debating facts which can be disproven. We're talking about film analysis. This isn't about red vs blue, it's about concepts the body of work intentionally or unintentionally puts forth.

Yert3

We're not talking about pockets of conspiracy nuts debating facts which can be disproven. We're talking about film analysis. This isn't about red vs blue, it's about concepts the body of work intentionally or unintentionally puts forth.
Let’s look at a different subject in the movie then. Some idiot posted a YouTube video citing the similarities of Zootopia with the 1980’s crack epidemic. Byron Howard has come out on Twitter saying it had nothing to do with the creation of the movie. Now this guy just looks like an utter moron and unfortunately, more people will listen to him than the actual director of the movie, who said the similarities weren’t intentional.

Source:

Professortango1

Let’s look at a different subject in the movie then. Some idiot posted a YouTube video citing the similarities of Zootopia with the 1980’s crack epidemic. Byron Howard has come out on Twitter saying it had nothing to do with the creation of the movie. Now this guy just looks like an utter moron and unfortunately, more people will listen to him than the actual director of the movie, who said the similarities weren’t intentional.

Source:

As I said before, analysis isn't bound by author's intent. Symbolism and allusion can often be unintentional and influenced by the world around the author.

I remember when Disturbia came out, the author denied it being inspired by Rear Window. But it clearly is.

Yert3

As I said before, analysis isn't bound by author's intent. Symbolism and allusion can often be unintentional and influenced by the world around the author.

I remember when Disturbia came out, the author denied it being inspired by Rear Window. But it clearly is.
And yet you have no evidence that it is. Coincidence is a word that exists for a reason, because they happen.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
If I might throw my opinion in for a second. I think what Zootopia and any film, music, art, etc. for that matter shows is that you can interpret it anyway you like. Some will see X others will see Y. Intent of the author should be taken into account, but the analysts usually don't do this. They try to assign meaning when maybe the author didn't intend for meaning to be portrayed.

Analysis just like the arts creation is highly influenced by the outside world. It doesn't live in a vacuum. This is one thing that I think the analysts need to understand, but often fail to realize.

Its nothing new, and will continue to happen.

Yert3

Interestingly enough, Rich Moore (other director for the movie) agrees with you on interpretation.

At my roundtable interview with the filmmakers, another journalist asked if the directors were worried about the possibility that conservative press might attack the film like they did Pixar’s WALL-E. Not only does this film has a big sociopolitical message but the first character refusing to serve someone is an elephant. Moore responded:

“I say bring it on. I feel like we told a story from the heart that comes from a genuine place and I know it doesn’t come from a political standpoint or an axe to grind or agenda to push. If someone is prone to say it’s intended any other way then thats their opinion and you can’t control what other people think. But I think we know where the movie comes from, and it comes from a place of authentic storytelling. If people want to watch a movie about a fox and a rabbit becoming friends and finding similarities rather than differences are a good thing and turn that into an evil agenda pushing practice, I don’t know what to say: go head.”
-Rich Moore

Professortango1

The conclusion is Zootopia is a good movie, but it certainly has some problems with the allegory they attempt.

I enjoyed it in theaters, but it hasn't stuck around for me. It seems that a lot of people have similar take aways as the movie scored well but hasn't become a phenomenon like other titles.

Yert3

The conclusion is Zootopia is a good movie, but it certainly has some problems with the allegory they attempt.

I enjoyed it in theaters, but it hasn't stuck around for me. It seems that a lot of people have similar take aways as the movie scored well but hasn't become a phenomenon like other titles.
At least thank you for being civil. I’m sorry if i seem over zealous in my defence of the movie, but it’s been a big part of my life since it came out and have made many friends over the movie. So I hope you can understand why I would defened it so harshly.

Professortango1

At least thank you for being civil. I’m sorry if i seem over zealous in my defence of the movie, but it’s been a big part of my life since it came out and have made many friends over the movie. So I hope you can understand why I would defened it so harshly.

I get it. We all have our movies we love despite criticism (Reindeer Games) and movies that are beloved by fans that we cannot stand (The Greatest Showman). Heck, I even enjoyed Chicken Little despite how much hate it recieved.

Practical Pig

I hope Frozen comes to Disneyland Resort.

Voila!

FOT48961.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom