Are you planning on staying at the Star Wars resort?

Are you planning on staying at the Star Wars hotel?

• Definitely

Votes: 56 19.0%
  • Maybe, depends on how expensive

Votes: 109 36.9%
  • Probably not

Votes: 76 25.8%
  • No way, not looking for something so immersive

Votes: 54 18.3%

• Total voters

FettFan

I am leaning a bit to this too. I'm a massive SW fan. But I don't necessarily need CM's to read my magicband and refer to me by my roleplaying name.

Then again, currently I pay a few hundred dollars a day then roleplay I am at world class resort. So I might as well throw in a few hundred more and up the make pretend a bit more. Not that much bigger of a leap.

They’ll probably stop with the “Star Wars Names” when they realize how many people are going to troll them with joke names.

Jedi Master Nottius Buttux, perhaps?

EDIT - “I have a vewwy gweat fwiend in Wome...”

winstongator

Original Poster
No, I’m convinced that the “Interactive” elements will be phased out quickly as I think A) Disney will cut the actors on the next economic downtown and B) The populace that will be able to afford this hotel when it opens are the type of people that wouldn’t be caught dead in public in a Jedi costume.

And that also goes for Galaxys Edge....I’m predicting it will be a failure (based on expectations anyway)
What's a measurable way to call GE a failure? As a conservative estimated, I'd say HS attendance goes up 15% in 2020. Could be closer to 25% I'd say less than 10% increase would be a failure. I consider TSL less successful because often the standby wait times are less than RnRC - 50 vs. 40 right now. Flight of Passage is at 60 now, but it held > 2hrs for a very long time, and still does when the parks are busy. If the expectation is driving a 25% attendance increase, then it might not hit that.

As a subjective measure, I'd like it to be better and more immersive than the WWoHP. You feel like you're in Diagon Alley & Hogsmeade which is a huge part of the fun.

I did not like Avatar the movie, but I squeezed two days at Pandora around a trip to Yellowstone (we flew out of MCO). I loved the OT. Really enjoy it all. We might be in SoCal in July 2019, and my crazy mind went to...

Now, the interactive elements are more elaborately planned for the hotel, which is a longer-term project. One problem with the immersive experience videos that I saw was that they are very labor intensive. It takes a lot of CMs to drive those games. As opposed to the wand experiences in WWoHP which have virtually zero ongoing labor, although there's usually a CM to help. Automating those experiences is a huge undertaking that I'd imagine they're working on.

What's a measurable way to call GE a failure? As a conservative estimated, I'd say HS attendance goes up 15% in 2020. Could be closer to 25% I'd say less than 10% increase would be a failure. I consider TSL less successful because often the standby wait times are less than RnRC - 50 vs. 40 right now. Flight of Passage is at 60 now, but it held > 2hrs for a very long time, and still does when the parks are busy. If the expectation is driving a 25% attendance increase, then it might not hit that.

As a subjective measure, I'd like it to be better and more immersive than the WWoHP. You feel like you're in Diagon Alley & Hogsmeade which is a huge part of the fun.

I did not like Avatar the movie, but I squeezed two days at Pandora around a trip to Yellowstone (we flew out of MCO). I loved the OT. Really enjoy it all. We might be in SoCal in July 2019, and my crazy mind went to...

Now, the interactive elements are more elaborately planned for the hotel, which is a longer-term project. One problem with the immersive experience videos that I saw was that they are very labor intensive. It takes a lot of CMs to drive those games. As opposed to the wand experiences in WWoHP which have virtually zero ongoing labor, although there's usually a CM to help. Automating those experiences is a huge undertaking that I'd imagine they're working on.

I consider failure to be “normalization” of wait times to happen in under a year as opposed to the 2-3 years or more some are predicting. 15% bump feels right for a years, but the fact that CA and Paris are getting it as well will limit HS’s long term gains.

Long term, if I’m Disney I’m very worried about 2021...new Harry Potter, and possibly Nintendo against what is beginning to show signs of a dead brand in Star Wars and a general negative feeling amoungst the fan makes me nervous.

joejccva71

I consider failure to be “normalization” of wait times to happen in under a year as opposed to the 2-3 years or more some are predicting. 15% bump feels right for a years, but the fact that CA and Paris are getting it as well will limit HS’s long term gains.

Long term, if I’m Disney I’m very worried about 2021...new Harry Potter, and possibly Nintendo against what is beginning to show signs of a dead brand in Star Wars and a general negative feeling amoungst the fan makes me nervous.

Where are you getting that Star Wars is showing signs of a dead brand? Are you talking just the new movies not being as popular or a total market value of Star Wars brand itself?

Where are you getting that Star Wars is showing signs of a dead brand? Are you talking just the new movies not being as popular or a total market value of Star Wars brand itself?

The performance of Solo, the revolt of a large portion of the fan base, the merchandise showing up in large numbers on clearance shelves and outlet stores (which NEVER happened before Disney bought it), other studios willing to go head-to-head with Ep 9 (Jumanji, Wicked)....there’s enough evidence to at least theorize that the brand is in trouble

joejccva71

The performance of Solo, the revolt of a large portion of the fan base, the merchandise showing up in large numbers on clearance shelves and outlet stores (which NEVER happened before Disney bought it), other studios willing to go head-to-head with Ep 9 (Jumanji, Wicked)....there’s enough evidence to at least theorize that the brand is in trouble

Solo didn't do that great at the box office but The Force Awakens still holds the record as the #1 highest domestic gross at like $936 million. I wouldn't really call that in trouble. Need to wait and see how the 3rd movie does I think. It will bring up sales and GE will also bring up sales and people will be traveling all over the world to see this land.

I actually am one of those weird people that liked Solo and liked Rogue One but hated Force Awakens and Last Jedi.

Solo didn't do that great at the box office but The Force Awakens still holds the record as the #1 highest domestic gross at like $936 million. I wouldn't really call that in trouble. Need to wait and see how the 3rd movie does I think. It will bring up sales and GE will also bring up sales and people will be traveling all over the world to see this land.

I actually am one of those weird people that liked Solo and liked Rogue One but hated Force Awakens and Last Jedi.

Past performance is not indicative of future returns....

I liked the second half of Rogue One, but hated 7 and 8 and didn’t see Solo, so you’re not THAT weird ;)

BethG

96E26409-09F3-47EE-BBE9-7220CC4C6B22.jpeg

nickys

Premium Member
I heard you can only stay there for 2 nights though, which is a little strange if you ask me.

You could book as many times as you want though.

It would be interesting to do that, if you had the money, Then you could see how different the experience was each time. Whether the story lines being played out changed each time, or repeated weekly etc.

winstongator

Original Poster
You could book as many times as you want though.

It would be interesting to do that, if you had the money, Then you could see how different the experience was each time. Whether the story lines being played out changed each time, or repeated weekly etc.
And then you become, the man in black.

winstongator

Original Poster

At least the wait times are something that can be measured and tracked. It would be a rough measure of attendance too. When I went to potter world waits for attractions were not bad. Nowhere near Pandora. That was 3 years from diagon alley opening. However, without Potter world, we don’t go to universal that trip. There is nothing else there at this time that pulls my family (me alone is a different story).

I understand your sentiment regarding solo, but tlj grossed 1.3B worldwide, although that’s a lot less than tfa. However the ticket numbers needed for the park to be successful are much less. You don’t need 200 million incremental tickets, 2 million added would be huge.

I went to Pandora because of the buzz and it was new. Have not been to TSL yet and no rush. The rides at GE need to be closer to, or even better than Flight of Passage than Navi river or slinky dog. Imagine the revolt if a ride like a.s.s. Was in GE. I’ll keep going back because the land is fantastic and the ride phenomenal.

I thought Disney should rush to re-theme star tours as it’s outside the GE berm, but now I think that’s a mistake. That’s the ride I enjoyed most my visit to mgm back in 1997. Keep that and Jedi training. Launch bay can go to something else. The scattered Star Wars all over the park isn’t the best thematically.

winstongator

Original Poster

The worry is the downward trends. Tlj did well but was still 2/3rds tfa. There’s also the in house comparison to marvel which hit 2 home runs right before/around solo. What helps the parks is they don’t need to sell 200 million additional tickets to dhs. Adding 2M/yr would be huge. If the rides aren’t awesome, it’ll get saltier than Crait. Word of mouth drove a lot of local Pandora traffic. The land is awesome. Flip side happened to TSL. If the execution of the land is good it’ll succeed.

winstongator

Original Poster
I’m rethinking my ‘definitely’ and have doubts on the hotel. I don’t think they’ve solved the labor intensive aspect of the immersive experience. If you’re close to 1-1 cm-guest, let’s do the math. 12*15*4(quad occupancy)*2(maybe 3 for margins) = 1440-2160/night. That’s a floor on costs too. I love my dad, but given the option, he might just take the cash and buy a bunch of Marlins tickets.

I think they are counting on technology reducing the labor needed to keep the immersion. I’m not sure that tech has happened yet. I’ve got a string of awful technology predictions though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom