Are you ODP?

KCheatle

Okay..I'm admittedly a little OCD. So far, my obsessive nature has served me well in my professional life. But, it drives my husband crazy because it spills into other areas of my life; particularly Disney. In fact, I should just re-name it to "ODP" (Obsessive Disney Planning)!

This past week I started feeling antsy about what my kids would wear (mind you...our trip isn't until September!). So, I started looking online and was about to purchase like an entire Disney wardrobe for my daughter when I forced myself to "x" out of the webpage because I knew my DH would kill me if I got clothes for her with 159 days until our trip.

BUT!!! This weekend we went to get rain jackets for our kids, and guess who went a little ODP! My DH!! He kept saying "you know...these shorts would be really comfy at Disney for Elly" and "this is a great Disney Swimsuit for Emmett!" Maybe I've rubbed off on him?

Do you think you could diagnose yourself as ODP? And, if so, in any particular area of Disney Planning (resort selection, dining, etc.) or are you ODP with all of it?

Weather_Lady

I'm ODP - I admit it. I enjoy every single second of planning a Disney vacation, from choosing a resort or a restaurant to making out possible itineraries for each day, all keeping in mind the current weather forecasts, crowd calendars, etc. My DH has no interest in the planning, but appreciates that I do, and lets me have free reign (so long as he gets some dining input).

I have an extensive binder of information, possible itineraries, etc. all worked out for our next Disney vacation in May... 2014!!! Of course, since it's too early to actually MAKE the arrangements, it's all speculative and will have to be changed several times before the blessed event arrives. You can bet I'll relish every single moment of it, too. :D

Upvote 0

Bobs87

I LOVE the term ODP! I think I may adapt it to ODF (obsessive disney fan). I obsesses over details of each disney trip as I become so excited, I check wdw magic hourly to see what is happening when I'm not there, I clean whilst listening to sorcerer radio and constantly talk about my disney love.

However, when my DH surprised a trip to disneyland Paris on me a few years ago (the trip where he proposed!!) we already had a trip to WDW booked for the April. When he asked me whether it was like Florida (he was a disney newbie and non believer!) I replied not at all, he then asked as I studied the map whether we would get it all done in the short weekend... My reply was "yes but there will be no dawdling!"

We crammed so much into that weekend and it was safe to say he had a clear idea of how ODP I would become in the April! I'm surprised he still proposed!

Upvote 0

foreverbelle

Probably to a point yes. We talk about things for months, even if its almost a year away. Like what time we are going to leave-we at the moment still have 46 days to go-and how we are going. What we are going to do if this,,etc....its amazing how much I don't plan for things outside Disney but yet feel the need to have somewhat of a plan for the trips...

btw I love the term ODP

Upvote 0

KCheatle

Original Poster
I'm going in September too and I have had my daughter's new summer clothes (ummm Disney clothes) for a couple months now.

That is one of the tell-tale signs of ODP: trying to pass-off purchases/actions as something all non-ODP people would think is rationale. "No! This new pair of shoes is because I want to start running again and not at all because I need to break in a new pair in order to have them ready for Disney..." "Oh! Those old Disney planning DVDs! I totally forgot they were in there! I definitely do not watch them like once a week..." "Wow! My kids must have gotten on youtube on my phone and watched videos of Disney hotels without me knowing about it!"

But, have no fear - this is a safe zone for all those who suffer from (or are blessed with???) ODP - you don't need to disguise for us - we all understand ;)

Upvote 0

Kristamouse

I am! Only going for one MK day but I am OCD planning for it to be one heck of a day!
I also have a bit of a clothing problem at WDW, my kids corrdinate with each other and the park we are in! My girls rock giraffe print dresses in AK while the boys are tough in tee's with rhinos. In EPCOT we rep the USA in red white and blue, MGM the boys have custom Darth Mickey shirt and the girls in custom Princess sets. MK has one day of girls in Minne mouse polka dot dresses I made and boys in Micky tee's. Other MK days they each wear a custom shirt with thier favorite character frm etsy as well. DH and Just wear what is comfy, I am a big fan of knee lenght sundress. Need to get my order in for our May trip, thoose etsy girls make so much money one me;)

Upvote 0

Allygator

That is one of the tell-tale signs of ODP: trying to pass-off purchases/actions as something all non-ODP people would think is rationale. "No! This new pair of shoes is because I want to start running again and not at all because I need to break in a new pair in order to have them ready for Disney..." "Oh! Those old Disney planning DVDs! I totally forgot they were in there! I definitely do not watch them like once a week..." "Wow! My kids must have gotten on youtube on my phone and watched videos of Disney hotels without me knowing about it!"

But, have no fear - this is a safe zone for all those who suffer from (or are blessed with???) ODP - you don't need to disguise for us - we all understand ;)
That's right. Now to make my daughter understand why she will be running around in her underwear this summer as to not ruin her ummm summer clothes....LOL. J/k

Upvote 0

HollyAD

Yes I am! I love planning everything! I even obsess over the drive down to Florida and religiously use my trip advisor app! You never know what you will learn by reading reviews on here and on trip advisor. That's how I discovered Earl of Sandwich and other great restaurants...As far as clothes, I just broke in my flip flops for my July trip : )

Upvote 0

Tinkerbella16

Yes I am definitely ODP, loud and proud!! and have been for years! I started taking over the planning of our WDW vacations in 2007 and I enjoy every bit of it. People think I am nuts but I blame my mother since she has made both my sister and I both obsessed since we were kids. I love having the trip booked and the days leading up to ADR's... it just doesn't feel right, not having ADR's made 180 days in advance since it is what we have become accustomed to doing for a while now. Gave my TA our flight info so that felt great also lol. May 10th is our 180 day mark and I am counting down the days to that, so yeah I'm a little ODP!

Upvote 0

Allygator

I am! Only going for one MK day but I am OCD planning for it to be one heck of a day!
I also have a bit of a clothing problem at WDW, my kids corrdinate with each other and the park we are in! My girls rock giraffe print dresses in AK while the boys are tough in tee's with rhinos. In EPCOT we rep the USA in red white and blue, MGM the boys have custom Darth Mickey shirt and the girls in custom Princess sets. MK has one day of girls in Minne mouse polka dot dresses I made and boys in Micky tee's. Other MK days they each wear a custom shirt with thier favorite character frm etsy as well. DH and Just wear what is comfy, I am a big fan of knee lenght sundress. Need to get my order in for our May trip, thoose etsy girls make so much money one me;)
How old are your girls? I have been looking for Disney clothing that aren't too babyish.

Upvote 0

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Our whole family is ODP for certain. We are DVC members, so generally our planning starts at 11 months out. Pulling up previous years park hours for the time we are going...making ADP priority lists...making 'new things to do' lists...making 'must-do' lists. At about 9 months, we start making the spreadsheets of plans. First one is usually a group project. Then DW and I work out park/dining plans totally independently, then bring them together with DD9 as the arbiter. Compromise plan is then compared to initial plan to create new plan. When we get close to 6 months, we revise ADP lists and get ready for the 180 day mark. Then we get serious about our planning. Once ADPs are made, we revise everything one more time. At some point after that, we re-re-re evaluate everything.

The best part of it all is that our actual daily activities rarely match the plans. We find that the fact that we have made multiple plans multiple times means that we know all the possibilities and can adjust on the fly. ODP works for me!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom