Are WDW Ticket Price Increases Coming Soon?

luv

What's MYW?
Magic Your Way, the kind of tickets they sell now. Look up the prices for a 5-day Park Hopper Plus in 2002 and check what they'd be today, with inflation.

Then look at what it costs now to get park hopping, water parks and no expiration today.

I won't, because it will just depress me.

I don't remember exactly when they started the MYW thing. 2005? I just don't know.

ParentsOf4

Original Poster
What's MYW?
MYW = Magic Your Way

This is the current name of WDW tickets. Before 2005, they were called "Park Hopper", "Ultimate Park Hopper", etc. In 2005, WDW tickets were completely revamped with "hopper", "water parks", and "no expiration" becoming add-ons to the base (one-park per day) ticket.

openendedsky

Magic Your Way, the kind of tickets they sell now. Look up the prices for a 5-day Park Hopper Plus in 2002 and check what they'd be today, with inflation.

Then look at what it costs now to get park hopping, water parks and no expiration today.

I won't, because it will just depress me.

I don't remember exactly when they started the MYW thing. 2005? I just don't know.
Wait, so is MYW just a glorified park hopper? I never really knew that there was a difference. But I don't pay much attention to that.

Rob562

Wait, so is MYW just a glorified park hopper? I never really knew that there was a difference. But I don't pay much attention to that.

"Magic Your Way" refers to the customizability factor on the tickets. So you start with the Base ticket of one-park-per-day and then start adding options like Park Hopper, Water Parks, No Expiration.

If I remember correctly, for those who bought tickets to visit the parks for just a single trip and didn't plan on having any days left when their trip ended, the ticket prices actually went *down* in 2005 when the transition to MYW happened. Yes, the old tickets had automatic "no expiration" on their days, but a large percentage of visitors didn't actually buy them that way. They'd visit for one week, get a 5, 6 or 7 day ticket, and use it all up before they left. That's how I'd usually plan my trips.

The key would be to go back, find the price of a 7-day ticket *before* the switchover, and compare that to the original price of a 7-day Hopper that expired.

EDIT:
OK, prices stayed about the same. The highest ticket before getting into the Park Hopper Plus (with water park admissions, etc) was the 5-day Park Hopper, so I'll use that to compare.

December 2004:
5-day Park Hopper: $244.95 in advance, $265.19 at the gate.

January 2005:
5-day Magic Your Way with Hopper: $235.37 advance, $242.82 gate.

So at the time, ticket prices for the ticket many people would buy to cover a week's vacation actually went down slightly. The only thing you lost was Non-Expiration, which as I mentioned, wasn't needed by the majority of people.

(And the current gate price of that 5-day MYW Hopper ticket is $346.13)

-Rob

Runmyhorse

I'm not gonna complain about the increase. Its simple business. I will say this they have pretty much Increased this family out. This will be our last trip for atleast a yr or two. So when we go in sept. I plan on having a blast and not sweating the small stuff. Just making family memories.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
"Magic Your Way" refers to the customizability factor on the tickets. So you start with the Base ticket of one-park-per-day and then start adding options like Park Hopper, Water Parks, No Expiration.

If I remember correctly, for those who bought tickets to visit the parks for just a single trip and didn't plan on having any days left when their trip ended, the ticket prices actually went *down* in 2005 when the transition to MYW happened. Yes, the old tickets had automatic "no expiration" on their days, but a large percentage of visitors didn't actually buy them that way. They'd visit for one week, get a 5, 6 or 7 day ticket, and use it all up before they left. That's how I'd usually plan my trips.

The key would be to go back, find the price of a 7-day ticket *before* the switchover, and compare that to the original price of a 7-day Hopper that expired.

EDIT:
OK, prices stayed about the same. The highest ticket before getting into the Park Hopper Plus (with water park admissions, etc) was the 5-day Park Hopper, so I'll use that to compare.

December 2004:
5-day Park Hopper: $244.95 in advance, $265.19 at the gate.

January 2005:
5-day Magic Your Way with Hopper: $235.37 advance, $242.82 gate.

So at the time, ticket prices for the ticket many people would buy to cover a week's vacation actually went down slightly. The only thing you lost was Non-Expiration, which as I mentioned, wasn't needed by the majority of people.

(And the current gate price of that 5-day MYW Hopper ticket is $346.13)

-Rob

That makes the price increases for a 5-day MYW Parkhopper over a 5-day Parkhopper from 2004 $101.18 using the Advance Purchase price or $80.94 at the gate. The Advanced Purchase price then carries a 4.25% annual increase rate (compounded) or 3.25% over the gate price wich is VERY reasonable increases.

Figments Friend

I bought a stack of 10-day fully loaded MYW tickets back in 2005 for (I believe) about $375 because I had been warned what to expect under an Iger regime. Now a 10-day fully loaded ticket is $672! OMG!!!:eek:
Scary, huh?
I was sad the day i had to use my last day on a pass i bought back in 2007. It was $480 i believe, 10-Day Non-EX Park Hopper. It broke down to about $35 a day.
Man that thing saved me a load of cash on numerous other visits. I swear i had a extra day on it, too...long story.

I told many people i knew to invest in them. They looked at me like i was nuts.
I said *WDW Tickets are a great investment for the future..because you know you will be back!*
They looked at the $400 price tag and passed.

Now those same people kinda wish they had them.
Live n* learn...

:cool:

luv

The Park Hopper Plus included all four parks, park hopping, no expiration and 3-4 entries to water parks, mini-golf or Disney Quest.

Then they changed to MYW (due to "guest demand", lol) where you get the base ticket and pay extra for hopping, no expiration, water parks & more. They're slowly getting rid of tickets that don't expire. They're much more expensive now. Wish all those guests hadn't demanded that. ;)

At some point, Uni was running a deal that gave you tickets for a bunch of days (I want to say a week), both parks, non-expiring - $100. THAT was the best deal ever. Wish I'd bought more of those!! It wasn't that long ago! Just a few years back.

I used to really keep up on Disney tickets, because I'd buy them for others. Now they're just too much, so I let people do their own research and buying. All I know is that it's cheaper to get one FR AP for parks and another FR AP for water parks than it is to get the Fun & More thing that includes Disney Quest. :D

ETA: I went to a discount site to pull up the cost of a DISCOUNTED 5-day MYW park hopper with water parks fun & more and no expiration. Cost is $467.95

ParentsOf4

Original Poster
That makes the price increases for a 5-day MYW Parkhopper over a 5-day Parkhopper from 2004 $101.18 using the Advance Purchase price or $80.94 at the gate. The Advanced Purchase price then carries a 4.25% annual increase rate (compounded) or 3.25% over the gate price wich is VERY reasonable increases.
Unfortunately, the data supplied by @Rob562 mixes some apples and oranges, comparing old tickets with a "no expiration" option with new tickets without the "no expiration" option. Price increases for the "no expiration" option have skyrocketed (for example, 7.4% in 2012 for a 10-day ticket) but let's set those aside since most don't purchase them anymore.

When first introduced in 2005, an adult 7-day base MYW ticket cost $199. In 2012 (still waiting for 2013 price increases) that same ticket costs $288, an increase of about 45% or 5.5% annually.

An adult 7-day "park hopper" MYW ticket could be purchased for $223 in 2005. In 2012, that ticket costs $345, an increase of 55% or about 6.5% annually.

In general, ticket prices for children have increased even more as Disney closed the percentage gap between adult and child. Thus, for example, 2012 was the first year where adults and children were charged the same price for a WDW AP. An adult AP increased 10.6% in 2012 alone and a child's AP even more.

For comparison, median household income has increased about 10% over the same period. Obviously, wages have not kept up with the price of a WDW vacation meaning, every year, fewer can afford to vacation at "the place where dreams come true".

Not a problem for CEO Bob Iger who received a 20% pay increase last year. Iger's increase alone was enough to employ several hundred additional full-time CMs at WDW. As recently as the early 1980s, the average CEO-to-worker pay ratio was about 30-to-1. Iger's ratio is about 2000-to-1.

ParentsOf4

Original Poster
At some point, Uni was running a deal that gave you tickets for a bunch of days (I want to say a week), both parks, non-expiring - $100. THAT was the best deal ever. Wish I'd bought more of those!! It wasn't that long ago! Just a few years back.
I bought those tickets as recently as 2008-9; 7 consecutive days for $95!

I'm an out-of-stater but my Universal AP renewal is $159, not bad! It's absolutely amazing what they've done with the parks over the last 3 years. Universal has completed transformed (;)) itself. I'm very much looking forward to the next several years.

luv

Unfortunately, the data supplied by @Rob562 mixes some apples and oranges, comparing old tickets with a "no expiration" option with new tickets without the "no expiration" option. Price increases for the "no expiration" option have skyrocketed (for example, 7.4% in 2012 for a 10-day ticket) but let's set those aside...
No, don't set that aside. That counts.

I'm not suggesting you go figure it all out, lol. :) I'm just saying if we are going to compare cost of tickets then vs. now, we have to include ALL of the price increases, not just the ones people buy more of.

ParentsOf4

Original Poster
No, don't set that aside. That counts.

I'm not suggesting you go figure it all out, lol. :) I'm just saying if we are going to compare cost of tickets then vs. now, we have to include ALL of the price increases, not just the ones people buy more of.
You missed my earlier post.;)
I bought a stack of 10-day fully loaded MYW tickets back in 2005 for (I believe) about $375 because I had been warned what to expect under an Iger regime. Now a 10-day fully loaded ticket is $672! OMG!!!:eek:
That's an increase of about 79%, 8.5% annually!

cal1967

Is it true that if I have say a 7 day park hopper and I only use 4 days of said ticket, that I could then use the last 3 days in Disneyland if it is within that 14 days???

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom