are the characters/people on tv real?

TinkerbellK

one useful answer may be that these are "mickey's helpers" (or whoever), because mickey cannot be in the parks everywhere at once. so they are helping mickey by taking pictures with kids. i've heard a similar explanation of the santas in malls - they are santa's helpers... it is a way to preserve the magic, because mickey is still "real," he is just not necessarily the one standing in front of her.

Shere_Khan

one useful answer may be that these are "mickey's helpers" (or whoever), because mickey cannot be in the parks everywhere at once. so they are helping mickey by taking pictures with kids. i've heard a similar explanation of the santas in malls - they are santa's helpers... it is a way to preserve the magic, because mickey is still "real," he is just not necessarily the one standing in front of her.

I like that! :)

TinkerbellK

well mickey IS real, but the costumed characters probly are not... cause if you say they are, then you are going to get questions like "why is mickey's autograph different this time?" "I just saw mickey on Main Street. How did he get over here to Toontown?" "How come Mickey won't talk?" it avoids the awkward questions, and most kids would agree it makes sense that mickey would have to have helpers to see so many kids at once...

mpoppins76

Isn't that amazing? I do not get that feeling with non-disney characters....I view them as people in costumes the entire time I am interacting with them. But at Disney, I turn into a little girl again everytime I am with a character! I have never once thought about the fact there is a person in there. Disney magic is so real!
Amazing indeed, I'm the exact same way. DF was amazed and confused when I went ballistic over the characters when we were there in May. He was like "You've seen the other side, HOW can you be this excited??". :lol:

I would just leave it at that.

I remember when I told my mom I didn't think the characters were real. She said, "They are real to people who believe in them, and only believers get to go to Disney World." She said the same thing about Santa Clause.

So I still believe in Santa and I still believe the characters are real.

I just may have to steal that answer for when my kids eventually ask!:p

DisneyGigi

I remember when I told my mom I didn't think the characters were real. She said, "They are real to people who believe in them, and only believers get to go to Disney World." She said the same thing about Santa Clause.

Great answer... it is funny looking back, that is why I told the story. DD stumps me and leaves me speechless alot:ROFLOL:She had more fun with the characters than I did and that is saying alot though! And Santa still visits our house every year even if he has been questioned to exist before. :D

OneLuckyMom

This is how I was raised. My mom always hated that my grandmother lied to her for years about Santa, the tooth fairy, etc. so she always made sure that we knew these are just nice stories to tell children, but they are absolutely not true.
I remember being SO excited to meet Minnie and Donald even though I knew they weren't real, and I still love the Disney magic at 23 =)

I think there are two kinds of kids on this issue: those that desperately want to believe and will be upset with you if you crush their beliefs, and those who desperately want to be told the truth to about everything and will be upset with you if you lie. You just have to know which kind your kid is.

Luckily, I got one of the believers :D

PeoplemoverTTA

That's essentially how my parents handled it. I don't remember them ever explicitly saying Santa and the rest weren't real, but they didn't go to any effort to maintain an illusion, either.

I agree with those who say the characters are real to them...when I'm getting a hug from Goofy, I'm getting a hug from Goofy. I have friends in WDW entertainment, but I agree that during those moments, I am not even remotely thinking about the CM, but about Goofy (or whomever).

Here's my Santa story that my mom loves to tell:

In 1st grade a kid named Dan in my class told me there was no Santa (at the pencil sharpener, I remember it, strangely enough...the next part, I don't remember saying what's next, though). I came home and told my mom about it, and she was expecting to have to have a "talk" with me, but I apparently took care of it myself. I told my mom just what I told Dan at the pencil sharpener, "Of course Santa's real. There's no way my mom and dad would spend that kind of money!" My mom was relieved and amused beyond belief. She loves telling that story!

C.M.O

Original Poster
thanks for all your input. I like saying "they are real to the people who believe in them". I might also have to use the helper thing (which I do with Santa) because I saw that the Playhouse Disney has a real person playing the Einsteins but then the character breakfast has costume characters. Thanks again :)

Phonedave

I'd probably just tell my kids the truth. I don't think we need to lie to them and tell them falsehoods in order to keep the magic alive. The Disney Magic is alive with us and we know that the characters are just people in costumes.

And we'll probably tell our kids that Santa Clause is not real, also. We can keep Santa alive as part of the overall Christmas mythology, but I think you can do that while letting your kids know at the same time that he is not real.

I try not to lie to my kids, even if it is something as innocent as santa or characters.

When my oldest daughter was 5 she asked me about the tooth fairy. I asked her what she thought. She said "I don't think she is real, but I like to believe she is. Same for Santa". I said "well, that is an excellent way to think about it"

Somtimes it pays to let a kid use their mind and develop their own ideas about things.

-dave

Pocamahontas

I'm right there with you.
(And I'm a CM)

minnie2000

My mother never really made much fuss about Father Christmas, tooth fairy etc, and I don't ever remember believing in them. My friends' parents used to do much more, and I used to feel I missed out a bit.

I have always told my girls that Father Christmas, Tooth Fairy, Mickey Mouse etc were real. Youngest DD, 6, is still fine with this. Eldest DD, 10, has worked out the truth, but likes to keep it going, partly for her younger sister, but she loves it too. She knows that FC doesn't really go right round the world on Christmas eve, but she loves to play along, and we watch his progress via satellite on the internet! She knows the characters wear costumes, but she still loves to meet them and get their autograph. It was great in Epcot one year, we met the princesses at the breakfast, and met them again later on in WS. They were the same princesses and they remembered my daughters! I thought this was amazing, when they meet so many people. That was real Disney magic.

Both girls asked when they were younger why there are so many different FCs, and we just said, he is so busy, they are all helpers. They were convinced a few years ago, because we took them on a Santa trip to Lapland - they met Father Christmas in his cottage, and he had the letters that they had written to him - it was fantastic. Younger DD now says to me, 'I know the ones in shops are his helpers, but I've really met him!'

Beware, SBKline, when your children are in school or nursery, and your child tells all the other children ' there is no Santa, my Dad told me' - he will tell all the other children, and you will have a lot of angry parents after you! It happened in our school. LOL. Its your choice, do what you think is best, but you will get some very upset parents - and children!

P.S. A friend of ours told her 11 year old daughter after Christmas that Santa wasn't real, and she got really cross, and said they had ruined her Christmas!

gofylvr

This is a tough question. My DD asks it from time to time (she is 5).
I ask her back, Could you touch them?
She thinks back.....well, yes I hugged them! ,
Then I come back with: Can you hug something that isn't real?
Well, no you can't
And that just satisfies her just fine without me "lying" to her

they really figure these things out on their own, and even for my boys (that are older) and don't really think it is Mickey, they still LOVE meeting Mickey,and she will too when she figures it all out......until then enjoy the innocence

Now come on . . . my 4 year old knows that when he sees Pluto that Pluto is not a real dog. He has a real dog & knows what a real dog looks like. He has also seen real mice & ducks. I have never heard of a child asking if a character is a real animal.

I have gotten the Santa question. My answer is alway that St. Nicholas was a good man who lived a long time ago in Turkey who gave presents to children. Despite this true answer, my kids still think that Santa leaves Christmas presents.

Nansafan

I have NEVER received a Christmas present from my parents. Santa brought every present to our house until my mother passed and now brings every present to my house (my son is 20). If you didn't believe in Santa at our house growing up, you didn't get a present, plain and simple. I never asked my parents if Santa was real because I believed that they believed in him. My son never asked us about Santa or Mickey and friends because he believes that we believe. The characters are real, Santa is real, tooth fairy, and Easter bunny are all real. They are the spirit, the magic that this all too real world needs to balance everything out.

chels26

as far as the characters go... i dont think i ever really "believed" in them. I think i always knew it was some one dressed up in costume, but i still loved them and wanted to see every one.
and for the whole santa topic that sparked, some of my best memories are from christmas morning when i believed. I figured out he wasnt real when i was in third grade.. and my mom told me the truth. im not resentful, i still get really excited for christmas and opening presents from good ol santa.

and heres a little easter bunny story...
my youngest brother, Connor, is probably the most oblivious child you'll ever meet. When my mom went to tell him that the easter bunny wasn't real, she said "Connor, I am the Easter Bunny" and he replied with "How do you get to all those houses in ONE NIGHT?"
now we joke about it every easter saying, hey mom how was the route last night and things like that.

I try to keep the magic alive. My parents always went out of their way to make sure that I believed. I have a sign I put up every Christmas that says just that, "I believe". A cute Disney story. My DS13 told my husband when he was six after we just left our character breakfast at the Crystal Palace, "Dad, I think they are really people in costumes, but don't tell mom--she thinks they're real."

phenom1307

I'd probably just tell my kids the truth. I don't think we need to lie to them and tell them falsehoods in order to keep the magic alive. The Disney Magic is alive with us and we know that the characters are just people in costumes.

And we'll probably tell our kids that Santa Clause is not real, also. We can keep Santa alive as part of the overall Christmas mythology, but I think you can do that while letting your kids know at the same time that he is not real.

i'm glad you would never be my parent youd be horrible at it :mad:...telling kids santas not real is like telling them they cant be whatever they want to be in life....i know santa's not real but my parents still try to convince me that he is...let the kids figure out on their own that santa or the characters arent real

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom