Are people getting used to life without Disneyland?

fctiger

Well this question can probably be applied to most things these days. I use to go to the movies 3-4 times a month, especially in the summer. But since the pandemic I been literally just once in the last 10 months. At first I thought I was really going to miss going to the movies and I do to a degree but it hasn't been the end of the world either. For one thing there is just so much stuff to watch at home now, especially due all the streaming options we now have including Disney+ it's been fine. That said once theaters come back normally again I can see myself going back but pretty patient for that to happen at this point.

My feelings are the same for Disneyland. I had planned to do a big Disney tour this year, hit DLR, WDW and TDR but all that was wiped out. DLR is different since I live close and did go twice this year before the shut down, but had planned to do a few days vacation in July for the opening of Avengers Campus. Make it a big family thing for 3-4 days. My mother still haven't seen Galaxy Edge since it opened. I was hoping it would open by the summer but wasn't sure we would keep to the plan if it did. We were going to see how things generally were going with the pandemic and of course how DLR would operate everything. Most of the other parks basically followed what Shanghai Disneyland did first which seems to be working out so maybe would've took a chance and went if possible.

But of course it didn't happen and it remained close, but honestly it hasn't been a big deal. At this point, it opens when it opens. Hopefully it will by next summer the latest and pretty hopeful of that. As far as getting used to life without it, sure, but its not the first time either. I would go a dozen times in one year and maybe one park around the world somewhere only to not go at to any of them the next a year or two later. I love Disney parks in general, been to every one multiple times. Same time, if I couldn't ever go back to a single one again, I'll live. I done them enough to last several life times at this point lol. And yeah I love traveling in general so as long as I can afford to keep doing that every few years then I will be happy. It's just nice with so many Disney parks now I can combine the two every so often.

But I will definitely be going back when its deemed safe enough. And now thinking of going back to WDW next year again too. I can go there now, but Florida is still too much of a death trap to consider it. ;) And I want stuff like the shows to return too. Will just probably wait for the vaccine at this point to go back to any of them.

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

Like what? Everything is closed and /or not worth the effort or not feasible with a toddler and a baby. It’s kind of hitting me hard as my main sources of entertainment were Disneyland and going out to eat. Oddly enough, I let my pass expire on March 4th and wasn’t planning on renewing until March 21. Something tells me I would have buckled a few months ago, new baby and all.

What would be not worth the effort with children?

There’s A TON of other things to do besides just going to Disneyland and restaurants, especially here in California, even if you have children. Were you really only relying on Disneyland for entertainment? I’m not asking you to judge, just genuinely curious.

mickEblu

Yes. Disneyland was meant to affordably entertain people for a day or two in a clean, safe, optimistic environment, and inspire guests to go back out into the real world to create, to think, to appreciate history and to help make the world a better place.

It was never intended to be a replacement for reality that adults flee into again and again and again as a lifestyle.

True but it always seems that folks that say this are ex APs of 10 years +

It’s like the preachers who did drugs and partied hard in their past and now tell us we can all be saved.

Last edited:

mickEblu

What would be not worth the effort with children?

There’s A TON of other things to do besides just going to Disneyland and restaurants, especially here in California, even if you have children. Were you really only relying on Disneyland for entertainment? I’m not asking you to judge, just genuinely curious.

Entertainment with the kids was mostly Disneyland, going out to eat and just other random day trips or weekend getaways. Santa Barbara, SD, Santa Barbara, Vegas. And a couple bigger vacations like Hawaii. But yea Disneyland and restaurants were the only Constants.

Almost any trip is not worth the time, money and hassle to me right now. Not in a post Covid world and not with a baby that needs to be breast fed and a 5 year old. The time/ money/ effort to fun ratio doesn’t really work out in my favor.

Californian Elitist

Entertainment with the kids was mostly Disneyland, going out to eat and just other random day trips or weekend getaways. Santa Barbara, SD, Santa Barbara, Vegas. And a couple bigger vacations like Hawaii. But yea Disneyland and restaurants were the only Constants.

Almost any trip is not worth the time, money and hassle to me right now. Not in a post Covid world and not with a baby that needs to be breast fed and a 5 year old. The time/ money/ effort to fun ratio doesn’t really work out in my favor.

Okay, so you were traveling to other places. It sounded like literally the only things you did with your family we’re going to restaurants and Disneyland.

I understand now is not a good time. It’s not a good time for many of us, myself included, and I’m childless. However, that doesn’t mean one can’t plan for the future. If you and your family are interested in going somewhere, plan for it and save the way you can. It doesn’t matter how long it takes. :)

My friends and I want to go to Egypt. Literally none of us can afford to go anytime soon. That’s okay though. We’ll go in a few years.

fctiger

Yes. Disneyland was meant to affordably entertain people for a day or two in a clean, safe, optimistic environment, and inspire guests to go back out into the real world to create, to think, to appreciate history and to help make the world a better place.

It was never intended to be a replacement for reality that adults flee into again and again and again as a lifestyle.

That's true, but you can say that about a lot things in life. I am a hardcore Star Trek fan for example. I use to go to conventions all the time when I was younger. I buy the merchandise, watch the shows and movies endlessly. I'm still a big fan today and watch all the new shows but It's not a 'lifestyle' or anything. But a lot of people it is. It just speaks to the world we live in. People are constantly looking for escape, maybe because their real life is just dull, they're lonely, in a really bad situation, etc. Entertainment is that escape, whether you are a sports nut or live your life via Star Wars.

We're all sitting here on the internet still discussing a park that's been closed for nearly a year now. Even when we are not physically able to go we're still talking about it. And in many cases, daily for hours. Is that any less different? I would say no. Thanks to the internet you don't even have to go to the park and still feel connected to it because you have message boards like this and Youtube to keep you entertained just watching videos of the parks. It's part of all our lives. I don't think anyone will die without it as most people on this board sound like they haven't been to WDW or other parks that are open now and living normal healthy lives (considering ;)). But for most, it will always be an important part, nothing wrong with that.

For me, I was born in the hood. I saw a lot of messed up stuff growing up. DL was that escape. Most people turned to drugs, gangs, etc, Those are life choices that destroys a life and it still happens even though people talk about it a lot less now. Going to DL 40 times a year is not really a bad thing as long as you can still hold down a job while doing it (and you kind of have to lol) and relationships. There are worse things in life to get into out there. A lot worse.

Last edited:

mickEblu

Okay, so you were traveling to other places. It sounded like literally the only things you did with your family we’re going to restaurants and Disneyland.

I understand now is not a good time. It’s not a good time for many of us, myself included, and I’m childless. However, that doesn’t mean one can’t plan for the future. If you and your family are interested in going somewhere, plan for it and save the way you can. It doesn’t matter how long it takes. :)

My friends and I want to go to Egypt. Literally none of us can afford to go anytime soon. That’s okay though. We’ll go in a few years.

I appreciate your optimism. I tried to plan something about a month ago and it didn’t work. I got an email saying 30% off rates for Aulani. I called them and a mask is required unless you re inside pool or eating. And that was the end of that.

fctiger

Yeah it's a big world out there, much to see and do. But when you have kids, then yeah it limits things for awhile, especially when they are really young. That is the great thing about Disney parks and theme parks in general. Its something you can constantly take your family to, especially if you live close to one. I'm so happy to live so close to DL and can take the kids anytime (in theory ;)).

I been to Egypt twice, but it's been well over a decade since the last trip. I had planned to go back in 2011, but then Arab Spring showed up and determined not a great time lol. I really want to go back to the Northern Africa again though and trying to go to Morocco the first time in the next few years. But Egypt is a great place to visit! Definitely do it when things gets back to normal.

Californian Elitist

I appreciate your optimism. I tried to plan something about a month ago and it didn’t work. I got an email saying 30% off rates for Aulani. I called them and a mask is required unless you re inside pool or eating. And that was the end of that.

We won’t have to wear masks for eternity though. I really and sincerely do hope that you and your family can find a variety of other things to do together in the future when things settle. There’s so much out there.

Rich T

True but it always seem that folks that say this are ex APs of 10 years +

It’s like the preachers who did drugs and partied hard in their past and now tell us we can all be saved.
I had an AP for couple of years (when it was new, cheap and novel), but never went more than three or four times a year. And always with family.

And—full disclosure—I, uh.... ... ... had a blog... I even did a little weekly comic strip about Disneyland fandom.

That was before the dark times. Before the Empire.

I will always love what DL once represented and still has the potential to do so again. But, bottom line, if a person really starts having Mouse withdrawals if they can’t go to DL every month, they need to branch out, examine what it is about DL that makes them happy, and then find it in the non-Disney universe.

mickEblu

I had an AP for couple of years (when it was new, cheap and novel), but never went more than three or four times a year. And always with family.

And—full disclosure—I, uh.... ... ... had a blog... I even did a little weekly comic strip about Disneyland fandom.

That was before the dark times. Before the Empire.

I will always love what DL once represented and still has the potential to do so again. But, bottom line, if a person really starts having Mouse withdrawals if they can’t go to DL every month, they need to branch out, examine what it is about DL that makes them happy, and then find it in the non-Disney universe.

There are certain things you can find. Like I realize that a big part of why I love DL is the landscaping and architecture. Santa Barbara and parts of Pasadena seem to hit the right notes in that department and more so sometimes because you re not dealing with lines, crowds and security. Of course you can’t ride POTC or go on any themed roller coasters in either City.

I also realized a big part of why I love DL is because I would tend to plan to go on some of the most beautiful days of the year. So I equate DL with beautiful weather.

Stevek

Clearly I haven’t gotten used to it as I’ve been to DTD 4 times (one where you can’t even sip water on property) with the parks being closed. I do kind of add other stuff to do in the OC and make it a day trip but still it’s usually the catalyst for my hour + drive out to the area. With that said, I also walked into a Disney park for the first time last week since March and felt absolutely nothing. I must have a merch addiction. But it’s not my fault they are finally coming out with cool attraction merch. This IASW ornament I picked up last week is legit.

View attachment 519232

View attachment 519233

With this my first shelf of the glass cabinet is completed. IASW ornament and Disney 60th anni 55 to 64 decade mug not pictured

View attachment 519234
Agreed on feeling nothing...it's really not the same especially when I went to BV street and the lines were massive just to get into the stores.

Stevek

Good point. Although not everyone is in the right demo to have tons of options. Maybe I’m not creative enough. Or maybe my options are just limited as someone with a 5 year old and a baby.
Yeah, it's all relative to what you consider fun. For us, just driving up the coast or down to San Diego and enjoying a great burger from Hodads at a waterfront park on Shelter Island was a nice escape and something we wouldn't normally do (might do it again next week). We did a drive across Mullholland one day, something I've never done and it was beautiful...plus I saw one of my music idols, Curt Smith from Tears for Fears, jogging so day was made. How about Solvang (it's actually partially defying some of the orders apparently). California is so beautiful, once we have the ability to get back to normal we plan on experiencing much more of it.

mickEblu

Yeah, it's all relative to what you consider fun. For us, just driving up the coast or down to San Diego and enjoying a great burger from Hodads at a waterfront park on Shelter Island was a nice escape and something we wouldn't normally do (might do it again next week). We did a drive across Mullholland one day, something I've never done and it was beautiful...plus I saw one of my music idols, Curt Smith from Tears for Fears, jogging so day was made. How about Solvang (it's actually partially defying some of the orders apparently). California is so beautiful, once we have the ability to get back to normal we plan on experiencing much more of it.

Oh totally. We like that kind of stuff too. I drove the “death defying” drive to Jalama beach once just to try their burger and honestly it was pretty good.

Stevek

Agreed. I remember seeing some of the same guests every week when I worked at the park. I couldn’t help but wonder if going to Disneyland was their only hobby. It reminds me of the regular guests who were out protesting, screaming for Disneyland to open a few months back.

There are way too many other things to see. If anything, this pandemic has made me want to travel even more than I already do (had to cancel plans to return to the UK and Italy this summer). I need new suitcases (just bought a new carry-on) and have been shopping around online, despite knowing that I won’t be going anywhere soon. Since the pandemic, I’ve had a strong interest in seeing Alaska. Other states like Wyoming, Montana, and Hawaii are also at the top of my list.
We had plans to go to Hawaii again and Ashville, NC (where my wife would like to relocate) and we'll have to do those next year.

I will always love Disneyland and the experiences we've had there, especially with my daughters when they were much younger. It was so convenient when I worked on the corner of Harbor and Broadway to just run over to the park after work (I literally looked out my 9th floor office window at Disneyland every day). I got to a point where it became a chore and knew I had had enough. It deserves to be appreciated, not something that is routine and no longer exciting. I can pretty much guarantee the folks that go there 4 times a week are lying to themselves if they think it still has that special feeling after 200-300 visits...or they truly are at the addiction level.

In any case, we will try to make the time to go back once a year if the desire is there. I just want those visits to feel special, like it did when I was a kid driving down the 5 with my parents and brothers...trying to be the first one to spot the matterhorn.

Stevek

Oh totally. We like that kind of stuff too. I drove the “death defying” drive to Jalama beach once just to try their burger and honestly it was pretty good.
Heard they are fantastic but not sure I could ever get my wife to do that drive. Sadly, very few places have lived up to the expectation when you have to make that type of effort to get there.

mickEblu

Heard they are fantastic but not sure I could ever get my wife to do that drive. Sadly, very few places have lived up to the expectation when you have to make that type of effort to get there.

I was surprised I enjoyed it as much as I did considering the hype. It was just a nice ol school char burger (kind of) with sesame seed bun, American cheese, shredded lettuce (that’s key) and some sort of white mayo sauce.

mharrington

I haven't gotten used to it and never will. However, ever since the closure, I have been trying to cut myself off from anything related to Disneyland that was not related to COVID and will continue to do so for the duration, because I don't want to be reminded of how things used to be beforehand.

It's times like these where I have to wonder if Disneyland will ever reopen again, because A) it's never happened before; B) every time it seems like cases are starting to decline, they just spring right back up again; and C) some have argued, on and off the forum, that Disneyland isn't really needed (as in, places can get along without it).

Even if Disneyland does reopen, it may be a very, very long before that happens. I have spoken to some relatives about it and they said it's likely that Disneyland may never reopen until things are "normal" again (as in, COVID cannot possibly be an issue ever again). And "normalcy", if it can even be called that, will likely not happen until the fall.

So frankly, I'm beginning to think that we have seen the last of Disneyland.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom