"Are parks putting too much risk in thrill rides?"

imagineer boy

Why must the media make such a big deal out of this?! There wasn't a ton of media claiming the Disney was unsafe when BTMRR in DL crashed. And that was DL's fault.

bgraham34

I think parks are going to continue to push the envelope just to see how much people are willing to take as far as thrills. I want bigger and more exciting and would be willing for them to take the extra step so I can enjoy different thrills. But safety is a big concearn it must be safe for me to take the jump.

JLTraveling

CaliSurfer182 said:
Individuals need to start taking responsibility for their actions and for the actions of those they are responsible/accountable for. If people are allowed to keep sloughing off their responsibilities then we will all end up living in padded rooms, eating/drinking puree fruits and vegetables, and listening to elevator music.

But certain people may be allergic to certain fruits/veggies... so the government inspectors must visit each house every day to ensure that the occupants have not inadvertently gotten hold of an allergy-inducing piece of food.

See where this is going, people? I totally agree with Cali here, and the others who have reminded us that we are ultimately responsible for our own actions and those of our kids. Abe_bb, I do remember those "dangerous" metal playgrounds...and I remember sitting in a metal high chair, and I even remember riding in the back of a pickup truck. There was a time when if a kid did something stupid and got hurt, they got yelled at for being stupid...by their parents, teachers, the neighbors...it taught responsibility for one's own actions.

Yes, the death on M:S was a terrible tragedy. But things happen. Like others have said children are in much more danger on the airplane or particularly on I-4 driving to the parks. I'll take my "chances" of being one of the 64 out of millions, and continue to indulge in the rides I love.

Just remember two things: Life is a terminal condition... and it's not a question of "if" you die, it's "when" you die. Absolute safety is a myth of which people as a species try to convince themselves. There is no such thing...anywhere, ever. The best you can do is attempt to minimize risk, which I believe that Disney does.

shoppingnut

Society at large has become more stupid even though we are a generally more educated then two generations ago. I think the reliance on government intervention is/has been a mistake, we don't need any more regulations, there are enough. The government can't even keep up with the current inspections in areas such as USDA, if you're going to add theme parks and other areas, we are going to end up paying 60% of our salaries in taxes like they do in some European countries. No one takes the time to read anything to be sure it is okay, they rely on someone else to have done it. There is very little common sense left in today's society as well.

People need to take responsibility for themselves and teach their children to be responsible. Tf you don't understand something, ask someone, what a concept, it's why you have vocal cords.

LpMcQuack

My wife and I actually left this "reporter" a very angry voice mail on Sunday afternoon, after reading his article. We actually heard back from him yesterday....he had the actual gall to say he planned on putting in a segement on parents being responsible for their children. When we asked him why he didn't, he dodged the question. When we asked him why he failed to mention how Disny and Universal put safety guidelines on all of their rides, he dodged the question again. Oddly enough, he got upset when we said that his tabloid-like special report was done just to capitalize on a horrible accident just to sell a few more papers.

i see there point but i am tired of the speculation. Cant people leave Disney alone? Disney is noy at fault for the death of the 4 yr old boy, 4 yrs old much too young! The parents should have inpress the intensity to him and not let him ride . I feel very bad for Disney there reputation is dirty. Kudos to Disney for there hard efforts!

William ,12 yrs old

LpMcQuack

Perhaps one day aside from parents taking responsibilty, the media oulets will take responsibilty for their shoddy reporting and go back to what the once we meant to do, non-biased, factual, accurate reporting on the news. Cause lets face it, it's not newsworthy unless it bring pain, suffering, loss, and shame to someone. Tell both sides of the story, not just the one that sells fear and horror.

chancellor

The bias and sensationalism of this article is obvious from the fact that the examples of accidents cited by the author were not Disney's fault. The Splash guy who got off the boat, the 4-year old that wandered into the moat and the kid who lost his finger on PotC (which was like 10 years ago) did not involve any ride malfunction or inherently dangerous attraction. If this guy actually wanted to do a piece questioning theme park safety, why didn't he cite the BTMRR accident at Disneyland last year?

This was obviously nothing more than an attempt to sell papers. I read it in the actual newspaper, and they put it on the front page (though off to the side) of the Sunday paper. Shameless.

Wilt Dasney

Leave us not forget that no cause of death has yet been found for that 4-year-old. So any attempt to connect his death with Disney is speculation at this point.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom