Are kids behaving worse now at WDW then in the past?

masterv

Scooter said:
My wife and I make a habit now...if we sit next to or wait in line next to kids that are well behaved, we compliment the parents for having such polite kids.

I really like that you and your wife do that Scooter. I'll have to think of doing that from now on because you are right. Good parents need to know they are doing an awesome job raising their child (and to keep it up). But it's too bad we can't tell the bad parents to wise up without them getting all defensive.

I do sort of the same thing when I'm out at a restaurant. If I get great service from a waiter/waitress I'll ask to speak to the manager and tell them of my awesome experience. I think people need to hear they are doing a great job. :)

masterv

Timmay said:
I always get a good laugh out of these "kids are so much worse today than when I was a kid" topics...yeah, right...whatever.

YES! I do think kids today are far worse than when I was a child. I would NEVER talk to my parents the way I hear some kids talk back to their parents. My dad would have slapped the taste right out of my mouth. We have too many scared parents where the children run right over them. I think kids are more spoiled today than ever too. Don't believe me? Go look at a typical high school parking lot. When I was younger most of my friends had hand-me-down cars and trucks. I see kids now with brand new Lexus and BMW vehicles. Today kids get ANYTHING they want from most parents. My dad would have laughed his butt off if I told him I wanted a cell phone. He would have handed me a quarter and ask me to call somene who cares.

Kids today don't have chores either. I used to have to take out the trash, mow the lawn, clean my room, work in the garden, and vacum the rugs just to name a few of the many chores I was expected to do. And my parents didn't pay me to do these chores. It was an expecation for being a member of our family. Now if you ask a kid to take out the trash they want to see their lawyer (yes an over exageration but I think you get my point; then again maybe you don't).

Parents need to step up and be the grown men and wowen that they are. If they don't do something about these kids, I seriously fear for future generations.

Timmay

YES! I do think kids today are far worse than when I was a child. I would NEVER talk to my parents the way I hear some kids talk back to their parents.

Just because you were a model child means all the other kids your age were model children??? That makes no sensem, the two just do not equate!! I was a good kid (for the most part...it seems funny so many think they were just darling, perfect little angels), but my brother was a handfull...spankings,groundings...nothing worked with him. My mother was a good kid, but her sister was a nightmare.

Today kids get ANYTHING they want from most parents.

Sorry, generalities don't fly with me.

Kids today don't have chores either.

Excellent, show me the research that supports this.

Don't worry, your kids will someday be having the exact same conversation.

nibblesandbits

Timmay said:
Just because you were a model child means all the other kids your age were model children??? That makes no sensem, the two just do not equate!! I was a good kid (for the most part...it seems funny so many think they were just darling, perfect little angels), but my brother was a handfull...spankings,groundings...nothing worked with him. My mother was a good kid, but her sister was a nightmare.

Actually, I have to agree with masterv...

kids nowadays do talk to their parents in ways I would never have dreamed. And while I get what you're saying about one kid being good and the other being a little more rambunctious...and while that could be true in ways, it isn't always the case.

I almost always treated my parents with respect, my brother did not. I'm 22 my brother's 18. To this day my brother says to my parents "I hate you" or "I wish you were dead" when he gets mad at them. He and my dad constantly have huge blow ups over smart mouth things my brother says to my mom or dad. I would have NEVER in my wildest dreams have told my parents that I hated them or that I wish they were dead. By saying those things it just shows that he had no respect for my parents.

It isn't just that one of us is the good kid and the other was the bad one, he was raised differently than I was and I see it in the way he treats the rest of my family.

And I see lots of kids talking to their mothers and fathers like that on a daily basis at my job. Matter of fact, I saw one yesterday.

My point is: It's one thing to be rambunctious, it's another to be completely direspectful.

masterv

Timmay said:

That's right! I had classmates who weren't exactly "model children". But that's because their parents didn't do anything about it. In fact, most of these classmates I here are now either in jail or dead. I was a "model child" because my parents gave me values and discipline that would stick with me for years to come. They were trying to raise a respectful child who would one day grow up to be a respectful man. And I think they did a pretty good job. I'd also like to have seen how your parents raised your brother. Maybe you are right and they did raise you and him the same way. Then again maybe they didn't. I also agree that there are just some people who are too mean or stupid to accept these values as a child. But usually as an adult they end up in some pretty bad places in their life.

Timmay said:
Sorry, generalities don't fly with me.

I wasn't making generalities. I'm only giving you what I see on a day to day basis. I work with young people in my career and see all these "generalties" happen all too much. Are there exceptions to the rule? Of course. But from what I've seen and experienced, I would say out of 10 kids, 8 of them are spoiled, whiney brats.

Timmay said:
Excellent, show me the research that supports this.

I don't have to show you research. Again, I see and hear about this on a daily basis too. Kids who go on elaborate trips but can't even pick up the clothes off the floor in their room. Kids who have a cell phone, lots of bling, and designer clothes. Where are they getting the money to pay for all of this? Wait, they aren't paying for it because the parents they talk back to are the ones paying for these items. *Laugh* I over head this conversation at work and this women was saying how here daughter was a handful. She was disrespectful and wouldn't listen to anything. You know why? Because this woman treats her daughter like a princess. She gets anything she wants how she wants when and where she wants it. She reminds me of that spoiled rich girl from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. "Daddy, I want a golden goose that lays golden eggs daddy. And I want it now." And she really wonders why there is a problem?!? :rolleyes:

Timmay said:
Don't worry, your kids will someday be having the exact same conversation.

You are exactly right. My kids will have the exact same conversation except with a twist. I'm sure it will be MUCH worse. Unless parents today actually do something about it, it will be worse.

masterv

nibblesandbits said:
My point is: It's one thing to be rambunctious, it's another to be completely direspectful.

Thanks nibbleandbits. I couldn't have said it better myself. I realize kids are going to misbehave. They are going to want their way. They are going to act out. But parents have two options. Discipline them or ignore it. And unfortunately I see parents who are ignoring it all too often.

I realize I may have sounded strong in a lot of my posts. I really do love young people. I'd have to since I work with them everyday. And I think there are a lot of good kids out there. I love going to Disney and watching the expression on some of the little ones when they encounter Mickey. Children are a great joy and I hope to have one or two someday.

Timmay

My point is that the bad kids of today are no worse than the bad kids of yesterday, and for the same reasons...lack of strong parents. There were plenty of kids that got what they wanted by throwing fits when I was a kid back in the 60's and 70's, just as there were many, many kids that had respect for their parents and other adults.

There may be a few more of the bad kids today, but I do not think the number is as great as being put forth here. The fact is we have a different perpesctive and view now that we are older. And whether you like it or not, your view is a lot different if you do not have children of your own. I know mine changed a lot 10 years ago when my wife and I had our first child. I just saw kids different as a whole. I became aware of the challenges that actually face a parent and how difficult it is to teach them to have respect. It is not natural for a child to have respect for others unless it is taught to them. They are not going to come by it on their own...and it is a challenge to get things right as a parent.

That does not mean I am giving the parents a way out, either...I never hold a child responsible for their lack of respect...they just were not taught it in a proper manner. That I hold the parents responsible for.

Perhaps this thread should have been titled "Are parents dropping the ball with holding their children accountable?" I would say that many are.

Are far as kids having nice things like phones, nice clothes, money or whatever...I subscribe to the theory that I want my son to have better things and have it better than when I was his age, just as my parents did before me. The difference is that although my son has many nice material things, he has respect for them and knows the proper time and place to utilize them. That has been, and is currently being taught to him on a daily basis. It doesn't bother me that kids have cell phones or nice cars...but they need to be taught to respect them, even if they don't have to work hard for them.

I wasn't making generalities. I'm only giving you what I see on a day to day basis. I work with young people in my career and see all these "generalties" happen all too much. Are there exceptions to the rule? Of course. But from what I've seen and experienced, I would say out of 10 kids, 8 of them are spoiled, whiney brats.

I still believe you have the "rule" and the "exception" theory backwards. And I would respond by saying that of those 8, more than half are probably just being "kids".

nibblesandbits

Timmay said:
Are far as kids having nice things like phones, nice clothes, money or whatever...I subscribe to the theory that I want my son to have better things and have it better than when I was his age, just as my parents did before me. The difference is that although my son has many nice material things, he has respect for them and knows the proper time and place to utilize them. That has been, and is currently being taught to him on a daily basis. It doesn't bother me that kids have cell phones or nice cars...but they need to be taught to respect them, even if they don't have to work hard for them.

That's great that you teach your son that...more kids should have respect for the things that they have. And we all know how hard it is to have respect for things, especially if you don't buy them yourselves.

However, I think that a lot of young society believes that they DESERVE to have cell phones, nice cars, designer clothes, an ipod, etc. That it is just a god given right, not a priviledge and that's the difference.

And the difference between now and the past is that there are a lot more indulgences available in this world (especially high priced ones) and kids nowadays believe they deserve them all. Sure there were always indulgences that kids wanted, but with all the things that have changed in the last 20 years because of computer technology, the increase in indulgences have exploded.

Piebald

I had a little kid come up to me at the queue and say "I'll see you in hell!" and I quietly responded "you first!". :lol:

I won't comment on the behavior issue as I am not a parent but I do think sometimes that some kids need a nice old fashioned smack on the face or something from what I have witnessed. When you're a CM and you see thousands upon thousands of ridiculous things be it children or adults or both you begin to wonder.

Timmay

nibblesandbits said:
However, I think that a lot of young society believes that they DESERVE to have cell phones, nice cars, designer clothes, an ipod, etc. That it is just a god given right, not a priviledge and that's the difference.

And I will contend that while a lot do, the majority do not. There are plenty of stories in this thread telling us how bad, in whole, children are today...please remember that the plural of "anecdote" is not "data". The stories are interesting, but they don't make things fact.

nibblesandbits said:
And the difference between now and the past is that there are a lot more indulgences available in this world (especially high priced ones) and kids nowadays believe they deserve them all. Sure there were always indulgences that kids wanted, but with all the things that have changed in the last 20 years because of computer technology, the increase in indulgences have exploded.

Again, I refute this (in a kind way :) ) by debating that technological advancements have nothing to do with desire for certain material objects. Just because a toy is more advanced today than it was 20 years ago has no impact on kids wanting them more. I see no correlation between "computer technology" and "indulgences exploding". Just because it is cooler stuff than we had doesn't mean the desire to possess it is any greater by today’s generation.

Timmay

Piebald said:
I had a little kid come up to me at the queue and say "I'll see you in hell!" and I quietly responded "you first!".

Ah, yes...my favorite comeback to this well thought out line is always:

"Excellent, it wouldn't be the same there without you!"

Discmen

I agree that the behavior of kids at WDW has deteoriated since I started going back in the early seventies. But it is not just the kids. It is the bahavior of the adults as well. People getting up in the middle of Carousel of Progress or the Tiki Room and leaving, people talking during Hall of Presidents or American Adventure. People going to nice resturants in EPCOT wearing a tank top. People pushing and shoving, running red lights, littering. The fact is that there has been a great dimunition in politeness and good behavior in our society on a much more general level than limited to WDW.

As to the blame the parents crowd, this is clearly part of the problem in some cases. But our children spend a great deal of time in the outside world, where parents don't get to control what they do and see. I have two eleven year old twins, and they are among the only children in their class who do not have cell phones and watch South Park and Family Guy. I like those shows, and I watch them, but don't allow my children to. They go to a friends house and the parents have Tivoed the programs for their children to show to mine without my permission, after they have played the latest ultra violent video game (another thing my kids aren't allowed to do). It has been said that it takes a village to raise a child, and even though Hillary was the one to popularize the saying, it is true. Every time my child sees you blow through a red light, or answer a cell phone during a movie, you are teaching them that disobeying the rules is acceptable behavior, just as I am trying to teach them different. A lowering of politeness, abidance of law, intellectual persuits, and good taste are the earmarks of a society in decline. Look at the the history of defunct cultures. This seems to be where our country is headed, at WDW and elsewhere.

One other note. Some children who "throw fits", as opposed to engaging in vandalism or other anti-social behavior, suffer from some form of learning or other disability. My son has a form of autism called Asperger Syndrome. Even at Disney, he may cry if denied some treasure he sees in a store (and the fact that you have to walk through a store full of toys just to exit a ride isn't his fault. They put these shiny, colorful things there with the intent purpose of getting children to beg for them so they can make money. The point being, the next time you see a child upset or acting out in some way, you have to consider that he or she might have what are called "hidded" disabilities. They are hidden because the children look completely normal, but in fact suffer from extremely serious disabilites, which I know accounts for some of the behavior of some of the kids at WDW. If anyone has a cure that can keep my autistic eleven year old son from crying like a toddler over the smallest deviation from his schedule, please let me know. And count your blessings, that your child is not one of the thousands upon thousands who suffer from some form of autisic spectrum disorder.

BRER STITCH

I blame Jerry Springer.

He gave them a soapbox.

Now the dregs of humanity feel the rest of us have an obligation to put up with them.

:brick:

KumbaRider

People today are incredibly lazy. It is unbelievable to see the trash left behind and lack of respect for property everywhere. So many guests just don't care.

masterv

nibblesandbits said:

:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

That's exactly my point. I want my future kids to have nice stuff too. Who wouldn't want that for their children? But they better NEVER ever think they deserve it. The coolest thing I ever saw on Ebay once was a mom was selling her son's Playstation 2 because he was spoiled. She even went on to describe his bad behavior to the whole world. That may be extreme (and It did make me laugh) but extreme times call for extreme measures.

masterv

Timmay said:
My point is that the bad kids of today are no worse than the bad kids of yesterday, and for the same reasons...lack of strong parents. There were plenty of kids that got what they wanted by throwing fits when I was a kid back in the 60's and 70's, just as there were many, many kids that had respect for their parents and other adults.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. :D I still say that kids today are far worse than kids years ago. Here's why. I think a lot of it has to do with divorce, parents who are working longer hours than ever before, and the decline of family values. And I think a lot has to do with parents who have just given up. "Fine. Junior is just going to yell and scream so I should just give him what he wants." What kind of attitude is that? What you are teaching Junior is that if he throws a big enough fit, someone will cave and give in to his desires. You've now created a future adult who will also have the same attitude. Don't believe me? Ask some of the cast members here. I'm sure they could share plenty of horror stories of adults who can't get their way and they throw a tantdrum.

Timmay said:
And whether you like it or not, your view is a lot different if you do not have children of your own.

No it's not. I think there are plenty of parents who share my same view. That's why they work extra hard to make sure their kids aren't little brats.

Timmay said:
Perhaps this thread should have been titled "Are parents dropping the ball with holding their children accountable?" I would say that many are.

So we finally agree on something. :D I'd say many parents are dropping the ball too.

Timmay said:

I'm happy to learn that you teach your son to respect his stuff. I think many parents don't do what you describe. I don't mind if young people have nice stuff. But I think some parents also go overboard. When I used to go into a department store as a child my parents had these rules. Don't beg for anything. I can get either one candy item or one toy. Not both. If I complained, guess what, I got nothing. What was the lesson here? Don't be greedy. Don't complain. Good things happen if you follow the rules. And the problem I have is that I feel most kids are greedy nowadays. They aren't satisfied with what they have. I was at Disney last week and saw this kid who had a hat, pin lanyard full of pins, and Disney sunglasses. And this kid had the nerve to yell and scream because mom wouldn't get him this expensive toy at one of the shops. He's at the Happiest Place on Earth and acting like he's serving a death sentence. Good grief.

Timmay said:
I still believe you have the "rule" and the "exception" theory backwards. And I would respond by saying that of those 8, more than half are probably just being "kids".

From my point of view, I don't believe I have anything confused. I hold the notion that sure kids are loud and obnoxious at times. But I don't buy the excuse "kids will be kids." Yes kids will act up but parents should be near by giving them a nice heaping slice of discipline. "Little Susie just ran over that old man. Well, you know, kids will be kids." :rolleyes:

nibblesandbits

Timmay said:
And I will contend that while a lot do, the majority do not. There are plenty of stories in this thread telling us how bad, in whole, children are today...please remember that the plural of "anecdote" is not "data". The stories are interesting, but they don't make things fact.

Again, I refute this (in a kind way :) ) by debating that technological advancements have nothing to do with desire for certain material objects. Just because a toy is more advanced today than it was 20 years ago has no impact on kids wanting them more. I see no correlation between "computer technology" and "indulgences exploding". Just because it is cooler stuff than we had doesn't mean the desire to possess it is any greater by today’s generation.
While these stories don't make it fact, I'm not basing what I am saying off what I've read in this thread. I'm basing it off what I see in real life. And in my real life I am surrounded by teenagers (high school seniors to be exact) and a good majority of them think that there parents owe them whatever they ask for.

So my knowledge of the situation comes from first hand experience.

I do understand where you're coming from on the computer technology thing though.

Timmay

masterv said:
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. :D

Which is fine...it would get pretty dull if all of us always agreed on everything.

I just see it different than most of you do...maybe I am more patient with kids in general than I should be...who knows. I think we are too quick to "discipline" kids rather than hold them accountable for their actions, both good and bad. There are rules in our house and life that need to be followed, or there are consequences for certain actions...teaching, mentoring and coaching for others. I am not of the belief that "kids will be kids", but I am more often that not going to be more patient with them because they are kids.

shoppingnut

Raven66 said:
I don't believe that is what his friend has done. Maybe he wanted his daughter to see what life would be like without all her stuff and what it would be like if her parents weren't around. They are teaching her a lesson and one I hope that she understands.

It certainly is what he has done. He has left his child in a foreign country without their stuff with grandma (not sure how old she might be) who has raised all her children and is most likely not equipped to handle such a thing, nor probably wants to at this point in her life. Also a relationship with grandma is way different than mom and dad. She may be the perfect angel with grandma, and grandma will think her son is nuts that there is nothing wrong. And any number of bad things can happen because she is in a foreign country, because things there are far different than in the US. What if she is hurt down there, raped, gets into trouble and put in jail or turns to prostitution to get money to buy things. What if she comes back worse than when she went, more resentful and angry. This is the type of lesson that can very easily come back and bite you in the butt, if it didn't rip it off entirely.

jozzmenia

Discmen said:
I agree that the behavior of kids at WDW has deteoriated since I started going back in the early seventies. But it is not just the kids. It is the bahavior of the adults as well....People going to nice resturants in EPCOT wearing a tank top. People pushing and shoving, running red lights, littering. The fact is that there has been a great dimunition in politeness and good behavior in our society on a much more general level than limited to WDW.

As to the blame the parents crowd, this is clearly part of the problem in some cases. But our children spend a great deal of time in the outside world, where parents don't get to control what they do and see. I have two eleven year old twins, and they are among the only children in their class who do not have cell phones and watch South Park and Family Guy. I like those shows, and I watch them, but don't allow my children to. They go to a friends house and the parents have Tivoed the programs for their children to show to mine without my permission, after they have played the latest ultra violent video game (another thing my kids aren't allowed to do). It has been said that it takes a village to raise a child, and even though Hillary was the one to popularize the saying, it is true. Every time my child sees you blow through a red light, or answer a cell phone during a movie, you are teaching them that disobeying the rules is acceptable behavior, just as I am trying to teach them different. A lowering of politeness, abidance of law, intellectual persuits, and good taste are the earmarks of a society in decline. Look at the the history of defunct cultures. This seems to be where our country is headed, at WDW and elsewhere.

:sohappy:
Bravo! I agree with you 10 million percent! And i agree with Timmay
<O:p
Behavior of kids today has DEFINITELY deteriorated from years ago. I'm only 26 and the behavior is worse now than when I was in school. Interestingly enough, I was just having a conversation about this yesterday with a co-worker, and concluded that it's a societal problem overall.

First of all, society is declining in general. I bring this up because you used and Family Guy examples. I love the shows, but they are definitely not for children. And since they are cartoons, many parents blindly assume that it’s ok for their kids to watch them. And this is a classic example because my older relatives watch <ST1:p<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:p and are totally appalled. At least Family Guy isn’t as blatant in it’s offensiveness, but when people in my family see <st1:placeName>South </st1:placeName><st1:placeType>Park</st1:placeType></ST1:p they say “So and so would be turning in their grave if they saw this on tv.” The things that are allowed on tv and radio nowadays are much much worse than what was allowed even 10 years ago. And I think that has an effect on kids. And no one can convince me that music doesn’t have an adverse affect. Here are some examples of lyrics from popular current songs on the radio that many teens and younger children listen too (yes they edit on the radio, although not well, but the context is the same):

<O:p
http://www.lyricstop.com/g/gettinsome-shawnna.html
http://www.letssingit.com/?/ying-yang-twins-whisper-in-ya-ear-377pqpj.html
http://www.lyricstop.com/m/msnewbooty-bubbasparxxxfyingyangtwins.html
http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/ludacris/movebitch.html

OK, now if lyrics like these don’t affect a young mind, then I don’t know what does. Add to that the removal of prayer from schools, and trying to censor anything religions and you have a problem. So you have less censorship of violent and sexual content, and more censorship of religions content – what do u expect to happen.

I’m also reminded that when I was in high school, if someone was skipping school, doing drugs, or getting poor grades, they were considered a loser. If they were having "relations" with a bunch of people they were a u know what. Now all of things r considered cool, and it’s like you’re a loser if you’re NOT doing them. Also, I remember that being gay was like some weird thing when I was in school, now homosexuality is forced down your throat at every turn. Society is totally going down the tubes and it’s all tied in to the behavioral problems that we’re seeing today.
<O:p</O:p
Also, in the conversation I was having yesterday with a co-worker, she said that parents today are too self-absorbed, always looking for “me time”, and she noted that when her kids were growing up, she just didn’t get any “me time” and it was always about her kids. If more parents acknowledged that once they have kids it’s a 24/7 job for 18+ years, and weren’t CONSTANTLY trying to “get away from the kids, perhaps so many of them wouldn’t be seeking attention from other sources. I may be more jaded because I work in family court and see a lot of juvenile delinquents and child abuse and neglect cases, but even so, there is clearly a huge problem with society that affects children negatively. I think more people should acknowledge the importance of things like a 2-parent home, family dinners and outings together, going to church together etc. Not that you can’t have a good family without all of these things, but I think old-fashioned values are still very important and needed.<O:p</O:p

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom