Are Disney execs looking at the success of cars land to create future projects on that scale?

CinematicFusion

Original Poster
Or is this type of land a one time shot?
If they get a better then expected return on investment on cars land....do you think we will see other big ticket projects at Florida and California?

I guess they already are with fantasyland expansion and avatar land....but those were already green lit.

Be interesting to see if cars land is a smash hit, if Disney starts to really get creative with ride concepts in American parks.

Mike K

I certainly hope so! If Cars Land pays off as big as they hope it will, I'm hoping that Disney will continue to spend money to make money. The money, time, hard work and passion that went into Cars Land clearly hasn't been ignored, people are eating it up so hopefully Disney continues to get the hint that if they build it, we will all come.

Disneyfanman

I don't think that there is any incentive for WDW to build on the scale of Carsland until they start to see real slippage in their numbers compared to their direct competitors. None. They are the world's top resort destination. We hear about Avatar, but that hasn't started construction, and honestly I doubt it will without being scaled back. Carsland was built (along with the DCA extreme makover) because there was a large opportunity to increase attendance in CA. Does that same opportunity exist at WDW? I really don't think it does without significant upgrades to infrastructure. Hotels generate revenue, but large scale park additions?

I hope I am wrong.

The Empress Lilly

When Everest opened, it propelled AK from a bit of an ugly duckling to, by now, the third most visited park in Florida. A million extra visitorts annually!
I had some hope back then that this would be a catalyst to greenlit other ambitious additions. But alas, no such thing. I don't think Carsland will mean much for any WDW plans. FLE and Avatar seems to be it for now.

but in my heart, I really dream less of massive E-tickets, especially franchise driven, and more of a return of fun rides such as Toad and Snow White and If You Had Wings, and a restored classic Disney elegance such as the Swan Boats and the Empress Lilly.

GrumpyFan

I don't think that there is any incentive for WDW to build on the scale of Carsland until they start to see real slippage in their numbers compared to their direct competitors. None. They are the world's top resort destination. We hear about Avatar, but that hasn't started construction, and honestly I doubt it will without being scaled back. Carsland was built (along with the DCA extreme makover) because there was a large opportunity to increase attendance in CA. Does that same opportunity exist at WDW? I really don't think it does without significant upgrades to infrastructure. Hotels generate revenue, but large scale park additions?

Indeed. Even though HP at Uni is creating a lot of buzz, it hasn't really effected WDWs attendance nor their bottom line, at least not according to the most recent estimates from last year. So, why would they worry or bother with trying to compete on that scale. I think what they have in the pipeline for now, FLE finishing with Avatar on deck, is all we're going to get for awhile. Perhaps once Avatar is near completion we'll start hearing about something new, but I highly doubt anything before then.

Ignohippo

I hope I am wrong.

I hope someone at TDO is looking at potential, rather than simply looking at year to year comparisons. The fact that IOA is up consistently 30% should tell the suits at TDO that they're losing out on piles of money.

I'm concerned that an increase in visitors for the FLE may make them feel they've done enough...

Ignohippo

Indeed. Even though HP at Uni is creating a lot of buzz, it hasn't really effected WDWs attendance nor their bottom line, at least not according to the most recent estimates from last year. So, why would they worry or bother with trying to compete on that scale. I think what they have in the pipeline for now, FLE finishing with Avatar on deck, is all we're going to get for awhile. Perhaps once Avatar is near completion we'll start hearing about something new, but I highly doubt anything before then.

Hopefully, it won't be about HP eating into WDW numbers, but will be about the potential gains they're leaving out there.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
They know what headline E rides can do. With the right marketing and scale of investment this is no surprise. Look at Splash Mountains, Tower of Terror, Rocket Rods etc.

The question is do the location of the attractions need said investment. Or rather, are they hurting? It appears different coasts do indeed have different ways of looking at things.

Cybercat

Banned
Good to see the negative spin cycle is still in full effect. WDWMagic.com, Where Good News Is Bad News Grumble Grumble Grumble. I think that would be a good site slogan.

Florida_is_hot

When Everest opened, it propelled AK from a bit of an ugly duckling to, by now, the third most visited park in Florida. A million extra visitorts annually!
I had some hope back then that this would be a catalyst to greenlit other ambitious additions. But alas, no such thing. I don't think Carsland will mean much for any WDW plans. FLE and Avatar seems to be it for now.

but in my heart, I really dream less of massive E-tickets, especially franchise driven, and more of a return of fun rides such as Toad and Snow White and If You Had Wings, and a restored classic Disney elegance such as the Swan Boats and the Empress Lilly.

Just wonder where you get your facts?
Not saying you are wrong but Wikipedia says it is the fourth in Walt Disney World

Magic Kingdom
Epcot
Hollywood Studios
Animal Kingdom

9.59 million a year.

Makes sense too, because Animal Kingdom is a 1/2 day park.

I believe times are tough and there are signs it maybe harder in the future. If I was on the board I would not vote 100s of millions for something that has not been proved in these uncertain times.

bdearl41

I dont know if Cars Land will happen, however, I would have a hard time believing that Disney exec's in Florida arent throwing around ideas on how to A)expand Pixar Place, and B) big new ride/themed area in place of the backlot tour, and C) add something into the streets of NY/SF area.

The Empress Lilly

Just wonder where you get your facts?
Not saying you are wrong but Wikipedia says it is the fourth in Walt Disney World

Magic Kingdom
Epcot
Hollywood Studios
Animal Kingdom

9.59 million a year.

Makes sense too, because Animal Kingdom is a 1/2 day park.

I believe times are tough and there are signs it maybe harder in the future. If I was on the board I would not vote 100s of millions for something that has not been proved in these uncertain times.
My source is: http://www.aecom.com/deployedfiles/Internet/Capabilities/Economics/_documents/120531 Theme Index_FINAL_lowres.pdf
page 12.

DisneyWall-E

AK is not a half day park.
As an executive I would look at that 30% increase in attendance and try real real hard to copy that success.
How much would a 30% increase in attendance translate into added revenue?

vinnya1726

No Doubt...a major expansion in Hollywood Studios is needed.

I dont know if Cars Land will happen, however, I would have a hard time believing that Disney exec's in Florida arent throwing around ideas on how to A)expand Pixar Place, and B) big new ride/themed area in place of the backlot tour, and C) add something into the streets of NY/SF area.

twebber55

Or is this type of land a one time shot?
If they get a better then expected return on investment on cars land....do you think we will see other big ticket projects at Florida and California?

I guess they already are with fantasyland expansion and avatar land....but those were already green lit.

Be interesting to see if cars land is a smash hit, if Disney starts to really get creative with ride concepts in American parks.
you would think with the success of cars land that TDO would be lining up projects beyond avatar..but it seems they re already downsizing that project

cslafferty

Just a thought, but maybe they are downgrading Avatarland because it got kind of lukewarm reception from many, like this forum - maybe others. Much of the lukewarm reception was because many thought they should be spending that money fixing up existing park problems. So, maybe they are taking some of that $$ and thinking about some DHS love. Maybe????
Sincerely,
Eternal Dreamer

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom