Are all Disney Stores UNmagical?

The Disney Store that I go to in my hometown mall is nothing special. It used to be the best store in the mall but then they remodled it. Now it seems like alot of the stuff just isnt that great.

At a outlet mall near my house in Jacksonville they have a Disney: Character Premeir. I think that it is offical disney merchandise from the theme parks. It has stuff from rides, special events, and all other great stuff. Some of the stuff is older but they sell it for a great price.

CoffeeJedi

manda0125 said:
So people were trading a pin that they paid $.99 with a pin that is worth $6.00. I can kind of see Disney having a probelm with that.
why would they care?

the pins probably cost about 12 cents a piece to produce, another penny for the card back, so even on "clearance", they're still making over $.75 profit.

secondly, the company doesn't make any money on a pin trade, only on the sale, you can release those 99cent pins into the pin aftermarket, and the only that will be devalued is those particular pins that were abundant and cheap to begin with. its not like the CM's are going to be flooded with clearance pins and have nothing good to trade, it will only be a small percentage. furthermore, SOMEONE out there will want those pins, not knowing (or caring) that they came from the clearance rack at a Disney store halfway across the country.

debndon

Aurora_25 said:
Just as an FYI (not to start anything) but Michael Eisner took over Disney in 1984....

but I do agree that CM's were looked at as work horses and stuff like that- although I loved working there- I had great managers and assistant managers and it was alot of fun, the pay wasn't that great, but then again, that's retail in general]

But it wasn't until the mid to late 90's when eisner changed the way he managed the company after frank miller died in the mid 90's

But you know it amazing how people response to something before they even put thoughts into their comments. Like eisner was great when he first started but whe also know frank miller was great at keeping him under control.. after frank's death, eisner went into some sort of phase that resulted in what we see today..

AliciaLuvzDizne

its kinda funny that you guys brought this topic up. I was at the mall and we have one of the newly remodeled Disney Stores.

the outside is cute...a gigantic mickey head...
other than that i thought it was awfully cold and sterile inside...they barely had anything other than clothes...and one tiny wall of stuffed animals...

picture below

AliciaLuvzDizne said:
its kinda funny that you guys brought this topic up. I was at the mall and we have one of the newly remodeled Disney Stores.

the outside is cute...a gigantic mickey head...
other than that i thought it was awfully cold and sterile inside...they barely had anything other than clothes...and one tiny wall of stuffed animals...

picture below

I Like that picture. The outside of the store in a Jacksonville has a huge Mickey Head. I know im getting close when I can see his black nose sticking out infront of all the other stores.

Our inside also seems very sterile and im not very impressed, but they do have this huge red chair that I love jumping in when there isnt anything being displayed on it.

bgraham34

I worked at the Disney Stores in the Mid 90's and I loved it. It just is not the same anymore. Back then i could get a Disney Fix. Today it feels like its just a cleaner Dollar Store totally devoted to Disney.

ThePurpleDonkey

a little off topic but im lacking time to search right now

I looked at disney direct very quickly and didnt see what I was looking for. I am looking for that glass slipper that people have mentioned and also the personalized champaigne glasses. Do any of you know where I can find these items?
Someone had a link for another disney item store...i believe it was main street something. Can anyone help? Thank you

Woody13

ThePurpleDonkey said:
I looked at disney direct very quickly and didnt see what I was looking for. I am looking for that glass slipper that people have mentioned and also the personalized champaigne glasses. Do any of you know where I can find these items?
Someone had a link for another disney item store...i believe it was main street something. Can anyone help? Thank you
http://www.mainstreetmegastore.com/

I use that site to look at items, but I never buy from them because they're too expensive. I order from the WDW mail order number at 407-363-6200.

monorail256

ArielBelle said:
Fortunately...at Sawgrass Mills Mall down here in Sunrise, FL we have a Disney's Character Premiere! I visit every so often...and those are actual CMs that work in the store, and most of them are so friendly. This is the same store they have at the outlet malls in Orlando.

Actually, The Childrens Place just bought those.

I work at a Disney Store in Pittsburgh, PA... and I must say that I totally disagree with the most of you. All stores in this area exceed my expectations... sure they aren't Disney World, but would you really want that? I personally will go out of my way to help a guest find something special for someone or talk to them about anything Disney.

-We sell childrens toys and clothing because it sells.
-We sell plush characters because they sell.
-We sell a select assortment of adult apperal and collectible because they don't sell until they go on clearnace.

As for making a profit, I'm seeing an enormous turn around thanks to all of our new back-to-school softlines. The new clothing is actually affordable for people and is really just too cute for people to pass up.

People really don't notice the change unless they read things like this on the internet.... and then they come into the stores and like to shove it in our faces. I for one, am not a huge fan of TCP, but it is a job, I love the atmosphere, I love the people, and it makes me happy.

Sorry for the vent... I love TDS. :wave:

dolbyman

I just bought some new underwear (boxers) in the Mallorca (Spain) Disney Store
Winnie the Pooh and Tigger ... soo cool

Merlin

Account Suspended
debndon said:
Aurora_25 said:
Just as an FYI (not to start anything) but Michael Eisner took over Disney in 1984....

but I do agree that CM's were looked at as work horses and stuff like that- although I loved working there- I had great managers and assistant managers and it was alot of fun, the pay wasn't that great, but then again, that's retail in general]

But it wasn't until the mid to late 90's when eisner changed the way he managed the company after frank miller died in the mid 90's

But you know it amazing how people response to something before they even put thoughts into their comments. Like eisner was great when he first started but whe also know frank miller was great at keeping him under control.. after frank's death, eisner went into some sort of phase that resulted in what we see today..

Just a couple of clarifications:

The name of the president of Disney who died in a helicopter crash in 1993 was Frank Wells, not Frank Miller. You may be getting the name mixed up with RON Miller who was the CEO prior to Eisner joining the company.

Eisner was already with Disney when the the stores opened in 1987. The direct reason for the drop in quality had little, if anything, to do with Eisner. The Disney Stores hired Cynthia Harris in 1992 to be the VP of Stores. She lacked the Disney "magic" and did not understand the culture. She only understood retail. After she took over, she imposed sales quotas on the CMs for video pre-sells, and took away some of the classic Disney touches, such as having a designated greeter at the front of the store and having CMs constantly cleaning.

dreamteacher

ours in San Antoinio is unmagical too all they sell now is clothes. if they are all so bad cant we email or write to someone about it or will that do any good?

Texas84

The Macon, Georgia mall store was always packed. The CMs loved to talk Disney. They had artwork and catalogs to order anything they did not have in stock. They also had awesome framed and numbered pin sets. I have the Sorceror's Apprentice set and a bunch of Tiny Kingdom figures. I used to buy Disney Dollars to give my folks when they would go on their 'no kids' trips. We always went there to get our fix between trips. Of course, they closed it. :hammer:

BRER STITCH

monorail256 said:
Actually, The Childrens Place just bought those.

I work at a Disney Store in Pittsburgh, PA... and I must say that I totally disagree with the most of you. All stores in this area exceed my expectations... sure they aren't Disney World, but would you really want that? I personally will go out of my way to help a guest find something special for someone or talk to them about anything Disney.

-We sell childrens toys and clothing because it sells.
-We sell plush characters because they sell.
-We sell a select assortment of adult apperal and collectible because they don't sell until they go on clearnace.

As for making a profit, I'm seeing an enormous turn around thanks to all of our new back-to-school softlines. The new clothing is actually affordable for people and is really just too cute for people to pass up.

People really don't notice the change unless they read things like this on the internet.... and then they come into the stores and like to shove it in our faces. I for one, am not a huge fan of TCP, but it is a job, I love the atmosphere, I love the people, and it makes me happy.

Sorry for the vent... I love TDS. :wave:

GREAT POST, RYAN!!! :wave:

I agree with you. Maybe it's just the great work ethic of those up here in the Northeast that keep these stores busy and looking great!

People do love to "pile on" with negative views when all they know is what they read, so you'll have to forgive them. Just look at the faces of all the Guests you help each day by bringing a little Disney Magic to them and their families. That's the REAL story! I see the same thing in the WNY stores ALL the time!

As I mentioned in an earlier post, there was no need to spend money on the stores by either side while they were being sold. Now that the sale is complete, the new store sets and renovations - including opening some new stores! - will move right along!

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!

:wave: :sohappy: :wave: :sohappy: :wave:

cameraguy

I didn't read any of the other posts on this thread, so this question may have been asked, and i apologies if it has. Anyway, Is their anyway to order Disney pins over the internet or through a catolog. I am trying buld my collection and i have not been to WDW for a while know. I thank you all in advanced.

Captain Hank

cameraguy said:
I didn't read any of the other posts on this thread, so this question may have been asked, and i apologies if it has. Anyway, Is their anyway to order Disney pins over the internet or through a catolog. I am trying buld my collection and i have not been to WDW for a while know. I thank you all in advanced.
http://eventservices.disney.go.com/pintrading/search/results?store=true

http://auctions.images.go.com/Images/I-Catalog/disneyauctions/categories/cat_pins.html

http://auctions.images.go.com/Images/I-Catalog/DisneyPins/index.html?DCMP=BAC-DisPinsHPfromDAHP

:wave:

(and, of course, ebay)

MartyMouse

debndon said:
Just a couple of clarifications:

The name of the president of Disney who died in a helicopter crash in 1993 was Frank Wells, not Frank Miller. You may be getting the name mixed up with RON Miller who was the CEO prior to Eisner joining the company.

Eisner was already with Disney when the the stores opened in 1987. The direct reason for the drop in quality had little, if anything, to do with Eisner. The Disney Stores hired Cynthia Harris in 1992 to be the VP of Stores. She lacked the Disney "magic" and did not understand the culture. She only understood retail. After she took over, she imposed sales quotas on the CMs for video pre-sells, and took away some of the classic Disney touches, such as having a designated greeter at the front of the store and having CMs constantly cleaning.

YES!
If not for Eisner there would be no Disney Store. Finally someone who doesn’t blame Eisner for everything wrong with Disney.

matt88mph

My local Disney Store tries its best, but its mostly whatever character they're shoving down the public's throat. The sales are good though, I recently got a cool Mickey shirt. What shocked me was that they don't carry anything for the HCOE. They play the ads constantly, but they have NOTHING. I usually calm myself down by snagging extra WDW brochures.

I can't recall them selling pins, but I know the one in Sawgrass Mills does. It's kind of like a Disney outlet store, and they unload whatever's not selling in the parks. I like it, personally. There, I got a CBJ t-shirt and a TT antenna topper.

phantom groupie

When i was younger, i used to LOVE going into the Disney Store. But over the years it has kind of gone down hill. I still go into it but i rarely buy anything unless there is a sale.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom