Are all Disney Stores UNmagical?

DONALDisMYhero

I go to a Disney store in the Pittsburgh area and I'm not just saying this because its been posted but it hasnt been at its greatest. I mean, its never been Walt Disney World, but now the prices are just going down (which is great for me, I bought a Dumbo and Bambi my last trip) but it is just gathering empty space everywhere. Its so much more dull now.

PixyDust

Our store is still good. The majority of the people working there now worked there when it was owned by Disney. However, the store has been closed for a few weeks, and I think is to reopen in September with a new look. I asked about buying some of the props but of course was turned down. It will be interesting to see how it looks when the refurb is complete.

CaptainMichael

I went to the Disney Store in Lakeside Mall (Metairie, LA). I must say that it has changed drastically. It used to be themed and more "Disney". Now it is a big place full of Princess, Nemo, and Stitch stuff. Nothing for adults.

I used to remember there being collectibles and nice things. Well, that is no longer the case. Going to the Disney Store was my only reason for going to this mall. Very disappointing!

Tigger1988

Thats so Raven now dominates the Disney store, they even have Raven Bedspreads. Its sad and totally un-Disney. Bring back the collectibles.

MiRi

How many of you actually have a Character Warehouse at home? I find it to be so much better than the Disney Store.

There are 2 Disney stores nearby here at Menlo Park Park Mall and Woodbridge Mall, but I must say that both of them lost their magic that it once had back in the 90's.

WDFAN1977

I remember when the Disney stores use to have art work, collectables, character greetings a few times a year, and a lot of other cool things that made it so "magical". Sadly, the DS near my home has been consumed with children's back to school items. They had a small section in the back with snow globes, coffee mugs, and a couple female adult Disney shirts.:(

At least they didn't remodel the interior of the store with the character sculptures on the walls, ect... .

DisneySam

Our Disney Store is okay, but not as nice as it used to be. Ditto on many of the other comments, there are hardly any adult clothes, or collectables...in fact I looked at the snowglobes and only saw like 2 on the shelves. Oh well, its a quick Disney fix.

buzzbeebara

We have a Disney Outlet Store here in San Marcos, TX. Not very magical at all. For the past 4 weeks the store has been selling off its merchandise. 2 weeks ago I asked what the deal was, and I was told that the Disney Outlet was being phased out, and would return September 2 as the Disney Direct store. Anyways, the Outlet store was merely a concrete floor store with overstock and generic merchandise. Very few collectibles on a regular basis. However, I got lucky and purchased the 20,000 leagues 50th ann. Waterglobe for $38!

Hopefully the new direct store will feel more like disney! Just my 2 cents.

monorail256

DONALDisMYhero said:
I go to a Disney store in the Pittsburgh area and I'm not just saying this because its been posted but it hasnt been at its greatest. I mean, its never been Walt Disney World, but now the prices are just going down (which is great for me, I bought a Dumbo and Bambi my last trip) but it is just gathering empty space everywhere. Its so much more dull now.

Do you mind telling me which store you're talking about?

TwoTigersMom

Original Poster
We're heading down to Orlando the week before Christmas. I don't want to go on Disney property at all, because we only have a few days and it will only make my 1 1/2 year wait for our Disney trip that much more unbearable. We will have most of our arrival day left when we get there, so where can I go to buy some Disney pins and other collectables, besides DTD? We'll be staying at the Vistana Resorts, someplace near there would be even better. Thanks for any suggestions :)

tinkish

I was just at the Disney store in NYC three weeks ago and saw pins of all types being sold there, not just NYC ones. They also had a bit of character meet and greets there, and a ton of merchandise I only saw at the parks. I think it's a great Disney store!

LivinWitTheLand

Since the Disney Store in Manhattan is actually now a World Of Disney, it does sell a small selection of the same pins that can be purchased in the parks. We just picked up the limited edition WDW July 4th pin there a few weeks ago.
BJMidget said:
the last time the Disney Store sold pins was for the 100 Years of Magic. the NYC World of Disney only has NYC World of Disney pins.

dazzle_em55

I have been a long time Disney Store/catalog/direct shopper. I once found something in my closet that I still had the packing slip for that was over a year old and was able to return it. No questions asked.

I bought a shirt that was apparently over 60 days old that I wanted to return but did not have the time. i went in today and they would not take it back at all. Not even at a discounted rate. It made me so :mad: because I know what they used to be like.

monorail256

dazzle_em55 said:
I have been a long time Disney Store/catalog/direct shopper. I once found something in my closet that I still had the packing slip for that was over a year old and was able to return it. No questions asked.

I bought a shirt that was apparently over 60 days old that I wanted to return but did not have the time. i went in today and they would not take it back at all. Not even at a discounted rate. It made me so :mad: because I know what they used to be like.

The 60-day return policy took effect in May of 2004.

Even before the sale of the stores, returns from the catalog, internet, and theme parks were considered a courtesty we provided to our guests.

...and who knows how long this courtesy will last? We have no reason to accept any returns from the catalog or online anymore. We aren't even owned by that company.

Every store has a return policy, may it be 30, 60, or 90 days -- it shouldn't have been a shocker to you.

dazzle_em55

It wasn't really a shock, I should have read the fine print. It had been a long time since i returned anything from them so I hadn't realized the policy had changed.

They did return something that I had ordered from the catalog before so that was nice. It is a pain to have to ship things back.

Woody13

monorail256 said:
The 60-day return policy took effect in May of 2004.

Even before the sale of the stores, returns from the catalog, internet, and theme parks were considered a courtesty we provided to our guests.

...and who knows how long this courtesy will last? We have no reason to accept any returns from the catalog or online anymore. We aren't even owned by that company.

Every store has a return policy, may it be 30, 60, or 90 days -- it shouldn't have been a shocker to you.
And that's the bottom line. The Disney Stores no longer have anything to do with Disney. I'll now shop for Disney items at Wal-Mart which has a bigger selection and much more value!

If Childrens Place turns the stores into nothing more than kiddie clothes and kiddie junk, then I say good luck! The stores lost their magic after 2000 when they no longer carried any great selection of collectibles. It's a shame that Eisner ran these stores into the ground. It also goes back to the death of the Disney Club which was the final death nail on the Disney Stores' most loyal customers. I said it then and I'll say it now, it's part of the Disney company's continued wrong direction. First, Disney Club, then Disney Store, and finally Disney Magazine. Whether Eisner or Iger, it doesn't really matter, the stupidity continues. :hammer:

Testtrack321

We havn't had a Disney store in Richmond forever, so when I moved to Philly I was glad to see them out in full force....

too bad they sucked.

Cluttered and dirty displays, animated figures in the front not working, projection system not working/displaying not properly, etc. Very sad. In this day in age with the Apple Store and such, having retro 80's style isn't good.

I hate to say this, but bring back Pressler! :cry:

DznyRktekt

Testtrack321 said:
We havn't had a Disney store in Richmond forever, so when I moved to Philly I was glad to see them out in full force....

too bad they sucked.

Cluttered and dirty displays, animated figures in the front not working, projection system not working/displaying not properly, etc. Very sad. In this day in age with the Apple Store and such, having retro 80's style isn't good.

I hate to say this, but bring back Pressler! :cry:

Ummm. I think not. Pressler should be forgotten and left to folding kahki's at the GAP.

As for the Twin Cities stores, Southdale Center closed a few years back and the Mall of America store now sucks too, if "sucks" is part of the rating system. I guess the next time I am in the market for a cheap magic wand or another piece of plastic that will break, I'll be there. I remember the days when the Mall of America had a Warner Brothers store to compete with Disney. I guess those days are gone.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom