Are all Disney Stores UNmagical?

Woody13

thedisneyfan said:
If Childrens Place turns the stores into nothing more than kiddie clothes and kiddie junk, then I say good luck! The stores lost their magic after 2000 when they no longer carried any great selection of collectibles. It's a shame that Eisner ran these stores into the ground. It also goes back to the death of the Disney Club which was the final death nail on the Disney Stores' most loyal customers. I said it then and I'll say it now, it's part of the Disney company's continued wrong direction. First, Disney Club, then Disney Store, and finally Disney Magazine. Whether Eisner or Iger, it doesn't really matter, the stupidity continues. :hammer:
Those are all excellent points! I distinctly remember the days when The Disney Store was the best place to shop for all things Disney. DVD's are a great example. When a new Disney DVD came out, no matter where you shopped, they were all the same price because of price controls exerted by Disney. A DVD for $19.95 was the same price at every store and there were no discounts, unless you were a member of The Disney Club! Then, you got 10% (or more) off your purchase. The Disney Store was the best place to get a good deal on Disney "stuff".

That went on for many years until Wal-Mart decided to discount Disney DVD's, and then The Disney Stores didn't stand a chance. I once remarked to a CM at my local Disney Store, "Wal-Mart has that DVD on sale for much less than your store". She responded, "Well, they'll get in trouble for that and Disney will revoke their privileges to sell the DVD's in the future". My response was, "I think Disney needs Wal-Mart one heck of a lot more than Wal-Mart needs Disney".

Of course, that has proven to be the case.

Pioneer Hall

I didn't read through this entire thread, but I will comment on what I feel...

The Disney Stores have not been what they were for many years now. They have moved away from the classic Disney merchandise and now focus on the kids section of the store. With a lack of adult and disney enthusiast interest it is evident why the stores haven't been doing great over the past few years.

Then the worst happened...Disney sold the stores to a company that doesn't have to follow the company messasge. While on the outside the stores haven't changed at all, from a past CM perspective it changed substantially. A good amount of the Disney CM's have left and the stores have people that can use a register and stock the shelves. Gone are the personalities that made you feel like you had an extension of the magic in your own mall. In my store things that were as important as the dress and grooming code are totally ignored and the store just isn't what it used to be.

hcswingfield

Every time we go to the mall in Birmingham/Hoover, we stop at the Disney store, hoping maybe it will have improved. We always leave disappointed. There are a few CMs still there who try to keep up the magic, but the merchandise and selection have gone downhill, IMO.

SnowWhite5669

That went on for many years until Wal-Mart decided to discount Disney DVD's, and then The Disney Stores didn't stand a chance. I once remarked to a CM at my local Disney Store, "Wal-Mart has that DVD on sale for much less than your store". She responded, "Well, they'll get in trouble for that and Disney will revoke their privileges to sell the DVD's in the future". My response was, "I think Disney needs Wal-Mart one heck of a lot more than Wal-Mart needs Disney".

Of course, that has proven to be the case.[/QUOTE]

That cast member didn't know what she was talking about companies like Walmart and Target buy the videos direct from Buena Vista and sell them direct. That's why you can find videos that are already in the vault at discount stores. Disney Stores didn't own the "inventory" so if we had extras left when they were called back into the vault we had to send them back. Does anyone really think that Disney sells DVD and doesn't make a profit? I hate cast members who don't know what they are talking about. Where do you think the majority of us used to buy our DVDs?????? :lookaroun I agree with your Woody, Disney needs Wal-mart and other discount stores to sell their products!

WED1971

"Disney" stores???

I think I can offer a reasonable explanation for this. As a former "store" cast member of 6 years, we saw the retail division of the company go steadily downhill over a relatively short period of time until what we all felt was the "inevidable" buyout by The Children's Place, Inc.

Now, with the 'stores' no longer company owned and operated, unfortunatley, you will continue to see a decline in quality and guest service at the "remaining" stores around the country...

better off calling merchandise guest services for either Anaheim or Orlando...

monorail256

WED1971 said:
I think I can offer a reasonable explanation for this. As a former "store" cast member of 6 years, we saw the retail division of the company go steadily downhill over a relatively short period of time until what we all felt was the "inevidable" buyout by The Children's Place, Inc.

Now, with the 'stores' no longer company owned and operated, unfortunatley, you will continue to see a decline in quality and guest service at the "remaining" stores around the country...

better off calling merchandise guest services for either Anaheim or Orlando...

Decline in quality? How can you get any worse than the plastic junk (that could also be found in K-B Toys) Disney was sending us?

TCP is making us more clothing oriented... and the clothing is actually selling. People like the colors and quality of it... plus its affordable.

WED1971

touche...

monorail256 said:
Decline in quality? How can you get any worse than the plastic junk (that could also be found in K-B Toys) Disney was sending us?

TCP is making us more clothing oriented... and the clothing is actually selling. People like the colors and quality of it... plus its affordable.

Yes... you are quite right -- Q1 two years ago was an absolute nightmare (as i'm sure you remember...)

good to hear you are still with us and dedicated!!! Here's to your store from your extended family at #820!!!

MINECAR

Account Suspended
the one in the city, umm lol NY, sells pins. I bought all of umm lol but I have never seen them anywhere else Its sad really. But if you are in the city anytime soon or not soon go in there its like three floors with a theme for each its nice but still is not like WOD or anything in disney for that matter and still feels small. The one in the mall on the island is like average for any of the ones I saw outside Disney. I live for my pins got alittle over 280. They are my fav.

monorail256

MINECAR said:
the one in the city, umm lol NY, sells pins. I bought all of umm lol but I have never seen them anywhere else Its sad really. But if you are in the city anytime soon or not soon go in there its like three floors with a theme for each its nice but still is not like WOD or anything in disney for that matter and still feels small. The one in the mall on the island is like average for any of the ones I saw outside Disney. I live for my pins got alittle over 280. They are my fav.

That store actually is a World of Disney store and is actually still owned and operated by The Walt Disney Company.

I'd love to check that store out sometime along with all of NYC. Maybe this fall...

As for pins, I've heard from other TDS CM's I talk to on the net, that supposadly Castle Stores are being test stores for both scrapbooking materials and pins.

monorail256

Castle stores are just another Disney Store... but themed differently.

These were the last wave of stores opened up by The Walt Disney Company before the selling of the stores... and themed more towards the princesses (think pink and white walls).

Under TCP, we are now opening up what they are calling 'The Mickey Store'... which is just like any other Disney Store.. but themed around Mickey Mouse (colors of walls being yellow, black, and red).

I actually have the privilege of helping open up the new 'Mickey Store' at Ross Park Mall in Pittsburgh for its soft opening. From the pictures I've saw of the new stores.. they look great. I can't wait.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom