Appropriateness of taking children during "gay week"

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrb

Original Poster
I will be there from June 1-8 and read that this is gay week in orlando and june 7 is gay day at the magic kingdom. Is there anything I should know about.

TURKEY

Don't wear red to the parks during that time. The Gay Day participants often are found wearing red shirts (I think it's always red).

How old are your children? Are they old enough to notice what might be happening around them? Do they know any homosexuals? Are you comfortable with some PDAs?

If you do decide to go, just remember that they paid there money and have as much right to be there as you do. I'd rather work on a gay day than many others. The participants were some of the nicest people to wait on.

WDWJunkie

Banned
Out of curiosity, WHY is there a gay day or gay week? Why isn't there a heterosexual week, bisexual week, or transvestite week? What is it about gays that they get their own special day or week in Disney?

mrb

Original Poster
I probably worded the thought poorly. What I want to know is there any activities that I should know about that would cause one park to be more crowded than another. That way I could attend a less crowed park on that day.

Erika

Originally posted by mrb
I probably worded the thought poorly. What I want to know is there any activities that I should know about that would cause one park to be more crowded than another. That way I could attend a less crowed park on that day.

Ahhh, now you are making sense ;)

Gay Day is not sponsored by Disney, so I don't think there will be anything planned that would make any one park more crowded than the others.

Erika

Originally posted by WDWJunkie
Out of curiosity, WHY is there a gay day or gay week? Why isn't there a heterosexual week, bisexual week, or transvestite week? What is it about gays that they get their own special day or week in Disney?

If you want a heterosexual week, go ahead and make one! That's how Gay Day got started- Not by Disney or by any special act of the calendar, but by somebody creative who wanted to start something fun.

Mission: SPACE

It is not something that Disney really has a choice on... Say they were to disprove of it and say they will not allow it... They would be sued left and right... People are allowed to come and go to the resort as they please... The organization is not done entirely by Disney, however I think they do help plan it... It is not just at WDW, it is all of Orlando... However, it did start at WDW as Gay Day and has now grown to Gay Week at all of Orlando... hope this helps you understand a little about the entire process.

aTmfan

Here are some times and places you might want to avoid if you are like me and do not want to expose your kids to that kind of lifestyle.
June 4th-10:00pm Gays will meet at Pleasure Island 8TRAX
June 5th-GayDay at Animal Kingdom, 8TRAX and Mannequins Dance Palace that evening
June 6th-GayDay at MGM Studios
June 7th-GayDay at Magic Kingdom (the big one)
Hope this helps.

RPMdfw

For that matter, why does there need to be Grad Night or Night of Joy? Groups and families enjoy getting together to enjoy WDW. All different kinds of groups and all different kinds of families.

Testtrack321

Grad Night and Night of Joy are Disney supported events. Gay Day isn't. And face it people, I would not want to put my kids through a 'gay day' activity at AK. Go ahead and go if your gay, but for me and when I get married, we won't be there. It's our choice, just like yours.

RPMdfw

I wasn't trying to say that Gay Days is a Disney supported event. But Grad Night and Night of Joy are specific examples where people with similar interests gather to enjoy Disney World. Gay Days is the same thing. It's about going to Disney World with people that share the same interests. It's not about promoting our "lifestyle" (by the way, I don't have a lifestyle, I have a life. Just like straight people have a life), it's not about shocking people, and it's not about trying to upset anyone. It's about gathering at the "Happiest Place on Earth" and having fun.

Anyone who's at WDW during those dates (gay or straight), look for me and say "hi". I'll be the 34 year old kid running around excited to see my buddy Mickey.

niteobsrvr

We have an incredible ability for organinzing and planning large events. This is especially true when we just want to have some good old fashioned fun.

RPMdfw

Originally posted by turkey leg boy
This thread started out nicely.

Now my prediction for it to be locked is 10:49 pm CST.

Sorry. I guess my post does sound like it's really angry, but it's not inteded to be. I was trying to explain why I'm going. I'll stop now.

ToTBellHop

It's not really a big deal, anyway. I mean, if you don't wish to partake in the festivities, simply go to one of the other three parks on the specified dates--the GayDays are only at one park each day. I don't want to start a debate here, but it is clear to me why some people might be uncomfortable being in a park those days, so I'm just saying go to one of the others, if you want. That's what I would probably do, to avoid the increased lines, if anything (obviously, if something is planned at a park during the off season, it will be more crowded). It's not really anything to have a big debate around. I mean, if I wanted to organize a day for all dog lovers in America to meet at Animal Kingdom, and you hated dogs (which would be horrible!), you could always go to MGM:) But, of course, EVERYONE thinks Dogs Rule!, so that wouldn't be a problem!

jcrb

No it is not appropriate to take children during that week. If you have plan during that week go to other parks were it not taking place or stay at the resort. Take some advice from someone who had a family trip that fell on one of the day.

Don't go psycho anyone - this is just my opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom