Apple Watch launch

lazyboy97o

- Battery life is better than I expected. After what I think will be a normal pattern of use today the battery is still at 50% at 10PM.
Am I the only one who did not get the hubbub around only one day's worth of battery life? I wear a watch now, but I do not wear it 24/7. Is wearing a watch to bed or in the shower really the way most people wear a watch?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Am I the only one who did not get the hubbub around only one day's worth of battery life? I wear a watch now, but I do not wear it 24/7. Is wearing a watch to bed or in the shower really the way most people wear a watch?
I do actually wear my current watch 24/7. Obviously can't with the Apple Watch, and that's OK. I'll adapt to that.

donsullivan

Premium Member

I had been wearing a FitBit for some time now that I would wear 24/7. It's actually kind of cool to have it recording how soundly I've slept each night but I'm willing to give that up for the other benefits I gain.

I don't have a problem with charging it each night; it's no different than I have to do with my phone every day. I am finding after a couple of days use that the battery comfortably lasts an entire day with plenty of life to spare. Now that I'm in a normal work week I'll be curious to see if my usage pattern is any different impacting battery life. My sense is there is plenty for even the longest day.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Good initial bit of testing from Consumer Reports on heart rate monitor, scratch text, and water resistance.

TomHendricks

I've been checking my order status daily to see if there has been any change. Unfortunately up till now, nothing. However this morning, it was updated. It changed from a generic June ship date to shipping sometime between May 29th and June 11th. So now I have a better idea when I'll be getting it. Still seams so far away.

TomHendricks

Well I received my Apple Watch today, can't wait to break this out.
6DD4DD65-CAD1-4D6B-B04A-DCA3F4AC2898_zpsr9624jof.jpg

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Thanks for sharing this, I've been contemplating a few different options. Thinking I had way more time before the watch would show up, I was in no hurry. Now I have to hurry up and make a decision. I'll add yours to the mix.
I've read bad things about the Griffin stand - issues with it not charging.

donsullivan

Premium Member
I discovered an issue over the last week when attempting to use Apple Watch for airline boarding passes. It seems that the gate scanners Delta uses in Orlando which have an arm that raises the actual scanner up above a platform and you need to put your boarding pass under it with the barcode facing up do not support the use of Apple Watch for boarding passes. It seems that the actual barcode is too close to the scanner when it's on your arm and it cannot be read. I've had to use the phone on both flights out of Orlando in the last week.

The first time I used it last week, I just wrote it off as my error and switched to the phone quickly so as not to 'that guy' holding up the line. Tonight when I tried again, the gate agent told me they do not work. I then pulled out the phone quickly and it worked fine.

Last week I was also in Salt Lake City and Portland, OR and both of those cities have scanners that point up so I could put the watch over the top (barcode facing down) and it worked just fine. I'm on my way to Atlanta and then Nashville as I type this and will add an updates on things along the way since this is something I never thought much about but does introduce a compatibility issue with Apple Watch.

BTW, all TSA scanners I've encountered so far point up and they work just fine with Apple Watch for boarding passes at checkpoints.

I normally fly Delta only so I'm not sure what (if any) impact this might have on other airlines at MCO (or any other airport) but wanted to pass this along as information for others who might be headed to Orlando (or anywhere else for that matter) and hoping to use their Apple Watch for boarding passes in the future. When you arrive at your gate at any airport take a look at the gate scanner to see which direction it points. If it points down toward a surface, just use your phone; if it points up without obstruction above it you're good with the Watch.

UPDATE: it looks like Atlanta has the proper type of gate scanners (pointing up, without obstruction) so I'll be able to use the Watch (if we ever get out of here).

Also, an unrelated anecdote- I had ordered a couple of spare bands to go with my Apple Watch and got notice today that they are both preparing for shipment. Looks like things are starting to loosen up just a little.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
SIAP, but does anyone with knowledge of the situation know if NFC technology on consumer electronics will ever be interchangeable with MagicBands? I don't have a smart watch but I'd love to be able to just use my phone for Disney's touch points.

lazyboy97o

SIAP, but does anyone with knowledge of the situation know if NFC technology on consumer electronics will ever be interchangeable with MagicBands? I don't have a smart watch but I'd love to be able to just use my phone for Disney's touch points.
Walt Disney World was able to rather seamlessly enable NFC payments as part of the ApplePay launch, so it seems like the possibility is there. Given the stories of how difficult it can be to obtain an RFID card suggests Disney would not want such an option to be available.

I have had success shoving an RFID card into an iPhone case. Just don't know if that would interfere with NFC payments.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom