Apple Watch launch

StarWarsGirl

I don't have an iPhone (I have an Android phone and iPod Touch) so I don't have the right phone for it, but I think I would pass anyway. I only wear a watch for swimming and otherwise check the time on my phone. It's interesting, but not worth the price IMO. It seems like most of the stuff that can be done with it can be accomplished by pulling my phone out of my pocket.

lazyboy97o

I don't have an iPhone (I have an Android phone and iPod Touch) so I don't have the right phone for it, but I think I would pass anyway. I only wear a watch for swimming and otherwise check the time on my phone. It's interesting, but not worth the price IMO. It seems like most of the stuff that can be done with it can be accomplished by pulling my phone out of my pocket.
And so much of what can be done with the smartphone in your pocket can be done with other devices. The whole idea behind smart watches is to be a similar new convenience. I started wearing a watch out of a bit of feeling obligated since it was a gift, but now I don't leave home without it because it is a lot easier to check the time on it than on my phone.

TomHendricks

I have the Pebble Watch and I have enjoyed using it. While limited in functionality, it gave me a lot of what I wanted. I wanted to be able to see what Text/E-mail/Notification was without having to take out my phone all the time. I also used a few of the Apps, I loved the additional watch faces you could get. The Apple Watch has so much more functionality then the Pebble, so I'm really looking forward to getting it. Is it a necessity? No. However for what it is, its wonderful.

I really reminds me of the first iPhone. All people did was complain about what it didn't have, people are doing the same with the Apple Watch. Over the years Apple has added feature after feature to make it better every single time. The same thing will happen with the Apple Watch. Yeah the battery life won't be great in version 1, yeah it could do so much more. The same way they redefined Smart Phones, Apple will do the same with the Apple Watch. It make take till generation 2 or 3 to truly be the thing everyone needs, like the iPhone but I'm confident enough in Apple that is where it will go.

lazyboy97o

I have the Pebble Watch and I have enjoyed using it. While limited in functionality, it gave me a lot of what I wanted. I wanted to be able to see what Text/E-mail/Notification was without having to take out my phone all the time. I also used a few of the Apps, I loved the additional watch faces you could get. The Apple Watch has so much more functionality then the Pebble, so I'm really looking forward to getting it. Is it a necessity? No. However for what it is, its wonderful.

I really reminds me of the first iPhone. All people did was complain about what it didn't have, people are doing the same with the Apple Watch. Over the years Apple has added feature after feature to make it better every single time. The same thing will happen with the Apple Watch. Yeah the battery life won't be great in version 1, yeah it could do so much more. The same way they redefined Smart Phones, Apple will do the same with the Apple Watch. It make take till generation 2 or 3 to truly be the thing everyone needs, like the iPhone but I'm confident enough in Apple that is where it will go.
To be fair, not doing 3G on the iPhone or a camera on the iPad really did seem like just creating reasons to make the next version more compelling. The smart watch market though does lack enough precedent to really say an obvious feature is missing.

I'll probably dive in a few years down the road when the design philosophy of a round watch goes from idiot to great. Sort of like how a smaller iPad or bigger iPhone could never work, until they did. :)

Daniel Johnson

Thanks for this, my brother was asking questions about the Apple watch today. I'm an android...so, you guys gave me a place to send him.
Also. Can the iwatch send text messages? That's my one issue with the current offerings of smart watches for android. Not that I would use it, but for a device that is quicker to access than my cell...I would want it to do almost as much.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I would love to get one, but I'm going to probably wait until the next version comes out. I pretty much exclusively use Apple products, but agree it's worth the wait for the second version. Learned this with the iPad.
Yep. My iPad 1 is little more then a heavy, oddly shaped frisbee.

Clamman73

Thanks for this, my brother was asking questions about the Apple watch today. I'm an android...so, you guys gave me a place to send him.
Also. Can the iwatch send text messages? That's my one issue with the current offerings of smart watches for android. Not that I would use it, but for a device that is quicker to access than my cell...I would want it to do almost as much.
I believe you can dictate a text, or it will give quick reply options based on the received text.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Don't most people pay 200 bucks for a baseline iPhone? I always take the subsidy into account, considering how widely used it is.
Yes, but you can't compare the price of a subsidized device to a non-subsidized device. It is fair though to compare the straight cash price for each, in which the Apple Watch is around half the price of the iPhone.

Sage of Time

Yes, but you can't compare the price of a subsidized device to a non-subsidized device. It is fair though to compare the straight cash price for each, in which the Apple Watch is around half the price of the iPhone.
What I'm getting at is that most people pay 200 bucks for an iPhone and most people will pay 350 for an Apple Watch. With that paradigm in mind, I don't see the value. Personally.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
What I'm getting at is that most people pay 200 bucks for an iPhone and most people will pay 350 for an Apple Watch. With that paradigm in mind, I don't see the value. Personally.
Would you prefer to pay say $100 for the watch, and then $40 a month with a 2 year contract?

TomHendricks

Great article, gave a slight insight into the design of the watch. I'm still on the fence about which version I'm going to get. I'm really looking forward to trying them on, on the 10th.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Great article, gave a slight insight into the design of the watch. I'm still on the fence about which version I'm going to get. I'm really looking forward to trying them on, on the 10th.
Yep same here. What is on your short list?

TomHendricks

Honestly it really depends on how the Aluminum looks in person. From pictures, the Stainless Steel looks way better. However without seeing it in person, it will have to look so much better to really justify spending the additional money. So I'm looking at the Aluminum with White Band or the Stainless Steel with White band. I'm going to wait for 3rd party bands to get one. I actually like the 38mm bands better then the 42mm but I'm definialtey going with the 42mm.

It's the secondary technologies that the Apple Watch will leap into popularity over.
Contactless transactions, ID verification, GoPro competition, etc etc.

Right now, I'd be much happier if Apple made an iphone that could really last the day without a Mophie Jacket!!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom