Appalling state of the monorail cabins

betty rose

Good grief, I don't care if that is Monorail Teal and that it hasn't received the updated interior yet. Absolutely unacceptable.

Someone needs to send and tweet that to any and all WDW and Disney related accounts they can find. I think #junkyardinthesky has a certain ring to it.
I need a tetanus shot, just looking at it.:D

CaptainAmerica

Tinfoil theory:

Has anyone noticed whether the less-maintained monorails tend to be on one loop or the other specifically? I'd be curious if the "bad" ones are all on the express loop. This would insulate resort guests who are either taking the resort monorail or their own' resort's busses. I'd be curious if Disney cared less what the off-site "guests-who-park" think than they do what the Contemporary, Grand, and Poly guests think.

ptaylor

Premium Member
Original Poster
Tinfoil theory:

Has anyone noticed whether the less-maintained monorails tend to be on one loop or the other specifically? I'd be curious if the "bad" ones are all on the express loop. This would insulate resort guests who are either taking the resort monorail or their own' resort's busses. I'd be curious if Disney cared less what the off-site "guests-who-park" think than they do what the Contemporary, Grand, and Poly guests think.
I boarded this at the Contemporary.

Creathir

Tinfoil theory:

My guess is the monorails are on a rotation schedule, similar to aircraft. This is usually done to prevent repeat wear as much as possible. Maybe a CM could enlighten us on that though, as I'm just taking a wild guess.

hpyhnt 1000

My guess is the monorails are on a rotation schedule, similar to aircraft. This is usually done to prevent repeat wear as much as possible. Maybe a CM could enlighten us on that though, as I'm just taking a wild guess.

That is correct. At least one member on this board is/was a monorail CM and detailed how the trains are swapped on each line at intervals for maintenance and mileage reasons. Apparently, the "Tronorail" was a bit of a maintenance nightmare because it could only be on the Epcot line for months at a time.

s8film40

Yes, and this may also be why the AC smells disgusting and doesn't work most of the time. The filtration system doesn't look like it has been maintained in 20 years. BTW, this filter was just hanging from the roof, I didn't pull it down to look inside.

One has to ask, how does the monorail management OK the train to go out for service with guests in this condition?

View attachment 89313
This is actually not a filter, this panel covers the access to the roof hatch. In this photo it is not latched properly. These are designed to be pulled down fairly easily and can sometimes shake loose during normal operation. Sometimes people will mistakenly grab onto them and pull them down as well. Several years ago this would have been a complete non issue as monorail cast member would simply re-attach these if they saw them loose on a train in the station. A while back Disney stopped allowing monorail cast members to do this and maintenance has to be called. If it's just a little loose and hasn't been pulled all the way down it obviously isn't as big a priority. An experienced cast member would be able to fix this in just a few seconds although now would be reprimanded for doing so.

Nick Wilde

Huh. I didn't notice any of this of all the times I've been on the monorails. I wonder how many other people have never noticed some stains on a door, or a bit of mildew on an A/C.

Figment2005

Well it has been well over a year since my original post on this. So yesterday I took a ride on the monorail system to see how things had changed. It was Monorail Teal. This was what the interior looked like. Just like before, I just boarded the first monorail that came.

View attachment 89303 View attachment 89304 View attachment 89305 View attachment 89306 View attachment 89307 View attachment 89308 View attachment 89309 View attachment 89310 View attachment 89311 View attachment 89312
Did you tell someone about the hatch cover being down? That is a safety hazard and that car would have been out of use until it was put back in place. Everything you pointed out is in the process of being remedied, and just has not made it to that train. Teal, sadly, is the most overworked train in the fleet because it is the test mule for TCS.

Figment2005

Tinfoil theory:

Has nothing to do with it.

Rescue Ranger

Absolutely, in every way possible, unacceptable!
These need to be send to them, directly. Email, facebook, twitter....in person. No excuses. If public transit, which is faaar more abused and cruise ships can do it, there are not any rational or understanding excuses for this. They should be embarrassed. Especially having something that looks like this picking up guests from a deluxe hotel. Granted, deluxe or moderate or even an on-site guest at all, this is unacceptable.

ABQ

Things are getting better, you wouldn't be saying that of they were pictures of Orange, Black, and Blue. All of which have the updated interior.
It certainly is great that they're all being updated, but it cannot be forgiven that any were allowed to fall into such disrepair. Even the money hemorrhaging mess that is the Mass Bay Transit Authority (the T) in Boston keeps their subway cars in better condition, arguably with more daily ridership than the monorail. And again, they LOSE money hand over fist. WDW does not.

Figment2005

It certainly is great that they're all being updated, but it cannot be forgiven that any were allowed to fall into such disrepair. Even the money hemorrhaging mess that is the Mass Bay Transit Authority (the T) in Boston keeps their subway cars in better condition, arguably with more daily ridership than the monorail. And again, they LOSE money hand over fist. WDW does not.
The cars do not always look that way, and that is a point people are forgetting. A few picture posted on the internet is enough it seems to determine the overall quality of the system. That's like taking a picture of a sick fish in the ocean and assuming all the fish are sick. Yes, in this exact instance when the pictures were taken the condition was not optimal. But don't judge the whole system because one cabin looked bad. Remember, there are 5 other passenger cabins on that train and they most likely are not in that condition.

s8film40

The cars do not always look that way, and that is a point people are forgetting. A few picture posted on the internet is enough it seems to determine the overall quality of the system. That's like taking a picture of a sick fish in the ocean and assuming all the fish are sick. Yes, in this exact instance when the pictures were taken the condition was not optimal. But don't judge the whole system because one cabin looked bad. Remember, there are 5 other passenger cabins on that train and they most likely are not in that condition.
I can agree that things are getting better, but I can also agree that that is not an excuse for them getting this way in the first place. Things have gotten better in the past. They took out the floor carpeting and center seats replacing it with the hard surface flooring and replaced all the carpet, everything looked great, for a while. At this point and time proper upkeep just seems to be beyond Disney's grasp. The new carpeting looks great, but what will it look like in a year. More often than not when I enter a monorail I notice the scuffed panels mold on carpet etc. The fact that 1/4 of the current fleet is in good shape is not by any means a positive statement.

Figment2005

I can agree that things are getting better, but I can also agree that that is not an excuse for them getting this way in the first place. Things have gotten better in the past. They took out the floor carpeting and center seats replacing it with the hard surface flooring and replaced all the carpet, everything looked great, for a while. At this point and time proper upkeep just seems to be beyond Disney's grasp. The new carpeting looks great, but what will it look like in a year. More often than not when I enter a monorail I notice the scuffed panels mold on carpet etc. The fact that 1/4 of the current fleet is in good shape is not by any means a positive statement.
I don't expect you to understand what those trains go through daily. I also don't expect you to believe me when I say those trains are cleaned nightly. Many times custodial is cleaning them at the same time the department is trying to open. Easter week is a bad week for everyone because the Kingdom has such long hours. Rails are operating until 2am and closers are leaving the same time the openers are coming in. Not to mention that taking more than one train out for service each day is not plausible because of the transportation demands.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom