Anyone Not Want Online Check-In?

njDizFan

The part about the older generation wanting to be comforted by a face....
I didn't mean to make the inference that all people over a certain age are complete luddites. A blanket statement like that would be incorrect. But from my experience in branch banking the clientele definately skews to the older crowd but hardly not in totality. I am often shocked by the aptitude of some of my older customers. But there are the few people that rail against the abundance of technology and the loss of personal interaction, which must be handled carefully.

Club34

Our big family trip is in October and my mom asked me if I would partake in the online check in. We are staying in CSR and this will likely be the last time I will get to check in at El Centro as we now know it. I am opposed to the tower and other changes coming to CSR so I will savor this last check in experience.

Tom P.

Original Poster
I didn't mean to make the inference that all people over a certain age are complete luddites. A blanket statement like that would be incorrect. But from my experience in branch banking the clientele definately skews to the older crowd but hardly not in totality. I am often shocked by the aptitude of some of my older customers. But there are the few people that rail against the abundance of technology and the loss of personal interaction, which must be handled carefully.
I have a master's degree in Technology Management and am the Information Technology Director for a college. I would therefore hope that I am not in the "luddite" category when it comes to technology. However, even though technology is my career and my passion, I would still argue that the abundance of technology has led to a loss of personal interaction that is bad for us as a society.

njDizFan

I have a master's degree in Technology Management and am the Information Technology Director for a college. I would therefore hope that I am not in the "luddite" category when it comes to technology. However, even though technology is my career and my passion, I would still argue that the abundance of technology has led to a loss of personal interaction that is bad for us as a society.
Obviously that is your preference and opinion, which certainly has many supporters. I appreciate really good customer service when warranted but also really enjoy the option of a online/technical solution. It's the businesses that balance that for their consumer base that will make it a better experience. Although I think a lot of the "options" will not be there in the future, and for the most part I am okay with that (hospitality, tellers, taxi drivers). In the not too distant future there are dozens of jobs that will be lost to total automation and that is going to be a major issue for these people and the economy as a whole.
If I can ask...what are the personal interactions that you feel are currently not being offered to you do to technology? Is it more of a social media thing and people interacting with "friends" online then in person?

tglancy

I love the idea. I travel with cash, so every night I head down to the front desk to settle my room charges from that day, so I get plenty of interaction with the front desk anyways!

Debbie

I would prefer to personally check in because I enjoy the interaction with people. I like to check out the lobby, people watch, and soak it all in. Next time I am able to go, I plan to do the same...

LAM378

Disney World is the only place where I'd rather interact with humans than take the technological way out. In real life, I'll choose apps and kiosks and self-checkout every time.

I see why lots of people love online check-in. My main reason for not using it is because I always have room requests, and I like to go to the desk to make sure they were granted.

Minnesota disney fan

So if there is an issue what happens? There are times when stopping at a front desk might be required. They thought in March an issue was with our MagicBands. In June it was a glitch that didn't put it in the system right. We did not get an e-mial/text - we got nothing until I talked to someone at the front desk. Low and behold as soon as she did something on the computer we got a "room not ready" e-mail and text.

Honestly I have little faith in Disney IT. Less than half the time online check in has worked and not caused me to go to the front desk. This year we are 0 for 2. Last year was fine but the year before that was 50-50.

The only reason why I have said in person check in can get a better room is because the person checking in has asked if a certain location was good. We even were showed a location and the guy decided he could do better for us, so he did. Computers don't do that ;) Of course they can also screw you over sometimes too (BW still looking at you)

I agree with you! Last year we didn't get the text at all; apparently something was wrong? So went to the front desk only to find out that all of our requests were ignored! It wasn't like we didn't do all we could to ensure we would get what we wanted. We book via a certified Disney travel agent and never, never had this problem before the last 3 years. She would send our requests in at booking, and then before we left for vacation, she would send a reminder email. We had problems the last 3 years with wrong areas, distances, preferences, etc. We have always gotten what we requested before this. The front desk CM's acted as if there was never a request sent, which got me to wondering what is going on nowadays??? We have had to straighten this out at the front desk. We have mobility limitations and always got the areas we needed, but last year they put us as far away as they could, as if they never got several requests. We did get it straightened out and were moved to the appropriate area, but it took a while. So, even though I say we will do online on their form, we always check in at the front desk. I will say this is a recent problem and irritating to have to deal with after repeated requests from our TA. I know nothing is "guaranteed", but Disney has always honored our requests without a problem before a few years ago. Now it seems like the norm. We don't have a lot of requests but ask for first floor (due to mobility issues), close as possible to main building. That's all. I hope whatever the problem is will be corrected soon, and am glad for those who have no probems with online checkin. I wish..........................

jaklgreen

I agree with you! Last year we didn't get the text at all; apparently something was wrong? So went to the front desk only to find out that all of our requests were ignored! It wasn't like we didn't do all we could to ensure we would get what we wanted. We book via a certified Disney travel agent and never, never had this problem before the last 3 years. She would send our requests in at booking, and then before we left for vacation, she would send a reminder email. We had problems the last 3 years with wrong areas, distances, preferences, etc. We have always gotten what we requested before this. The front desk CM's acted as if there was never a request sent, which got me to wondering what is going on nowadays??? We have had to straighten this out at the front desk. We have mobility limitations and always got the areas we needed, but last year they put us as far away as they could, as if they never got several requests. We did get it straightened out and were moved to the appropriate area, but it took a while. So, even though I say we will do online on their form, we always check in at the front desk. I will say this is a recent problem and irritating to have to deal with after repeated requests from our TA. I know nothing is "guaranteed", but Disney has always honored our requests without a problem before a few years ago. Now it seems like the norm. We don't have a lot of requests but ask for first floor (due to mobility issues), close as possible to main building. That's all. I hope whatever the problem is will be corrected soon, and am glad for those who have no probems with online checkin. I wish..........................

It sounds as if your TA was not sending the requests. If you were not having issues until you started using the TA and now all of a sudden you are not getting any of your requests, I would look at your TA. I always book myself, I just don't trust anyone else. And I have been doing online check in since they have started it. Only one time did I not get what I requested but that was my fault, I waited to long to add it. They go by the first come, first served method. So someone who books and requests 8 months out is going to get it before someone who requests 3 months out. I would either book yourself or get a new TA.

correcaminos

So sorry! I am mostly sorry that the CM wasn't more helpful at check in. Like you said nothing is guaranteed but sorry that all happened. We found with mobility issues they seem to do a good job with the requests. granted something isn't great now and then, but not often.

Dad 2 M & M

Apologies in advance if I duplicate anything stated previously as I have not thoroughly read through this thread.....

Anywho, we use the online check-in and really like it. Rarely have our requests NOT been granted, but occasionally we were not prompted via text/email and had to check in in person.
I'm surprised to see the posts were the CM was not helpful, as that has not been our experience. On the occasions where our requests were not granted, AND we chose to go to the desk and ask for a different room, we have always been accommodated. I must point out, the ONLY request we really feel strongly about, is a ground floor room. The couple of times that request was not granted, we asked and were accommodated.....but did have to wait a while while the CM had to leave the desk area to make it happen.

totaldisneygirl

It definitely takes away from the experience if you don't frequent Disney World...I just went and did online check in and it was super convenient for me because I know my way around, however I did oddly miss talking to the CMs at the check-in counter

correcaminos

Apologies in advance if I duplicate anything stated previously as I have not thoroughly read through this thread.....

Anywho, we use the online check-in and really like it. Rarely have our requests NOT been granted, but occasionally we were not prompted via text/email and had to check in in person.
I'm surprised to see the posts were the CM was not helpful, as that has not been our experience. On the occasions where our requests were not granted, AND we chose to go to the desk and ask for a different room, we have always been accommodated. I must point out, the ONLY request we really feel strongly about, is a ground floor room. The couple of times that request was not granted, we asked and were accommodated.....but did have to wait a while while the CM had to leave the desk area to make it happen.
There are good CMs and bad ones everywhere. I have a lovely story about how we put "first available" room request and that was it. We were traveling with a 4yo that napped and hoped to have a room by about 2 or 3 pm to let them rest. We arrived mid morning and checked in with the front desk making sure we had the "first available" still there. We got a snotty CM who snapped back that they won't have rooms until 4pm. We found out at about 3pm while checking in again to find out status that the snotty CM actually moved us to a room that would be ready until the very end of the window - the nice CM implied as much and said our request was ignored. Another nice CM led us to a quiet area of the resort where the 4yo did nap on the couch. So we had 2 very nice CMs helping us and the one at the desk made sure the room we got would be ready ASAP (and it was, but it was about 3:30 before we got in). I know rooms aren't guaranteed until 4pm or so, but still sometimes CMs are just not nice.

Takeitforgranite

We've used online check in since it has been an option. Our typical approach is to drive to Orlando (about 12 hrs), stay the night offsite, and then drive to our resort early the next morning. We just park and get on a bus. Our tickets and food credits would work without any further action. We would just "check in" at the desk later that afternoon and get settled in our room.

We went this last June using the same approach. When we got to MK the fist morning, our passes haven't been activated, and we had to go to guest relations for the first time in 10 trips. Later, we discovered our food credits weren't available, either. We were told we were supposed to check in at the desk to activate everything.

It really wasn't a big deal in the end, but I was left wondering what is the point of online check in.

jaklgreen

I think its great but my Dad likes to haggle with the CMs about the room EVERY SINGLE TIME we check-in. Its to the point that we consider it part of the trip's entertainment.
What is he haggling about? Does it ever work to get a discount or anything else? Or is he like my Dad(which is why we don't take him anywhere) where he just annoys everyone and backs up the line?

TongaXtine

What is he haggling about? Does it ever work to get a discount or anything else? Or is he like my Dad(which is why we don't take him anywhere) where he just annoys everyone and backs up the line?

Hah! Its always about the location of the room. The ONLY hangup he has during the entire trip is getting the room he wants. Its fine that it takes a while because it takes that long for us to wait for a table at Beaches and Cream anyway.

Beacon Joe

Very similar story here.

I still insist on in-person check-ins. I find it pleasant and beneficial to establish a rapport with the CMs up front. Since we always stay at a DVC or a club level, it's usually (if not always) the same group of folks downstairs during the length of our stay. This can be especially helpful if we have any requests or problems that need to be fixed, or if we need some concierge help for a last minute reservation.

Megatronus

I like having the option. I like online cuz I can just go straight to my room or straight to a park. I think we can all agree that having the option of doing either (or both, in some instances) is great. To each their own, right?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom