Anyone Not Want Online Check-In?

Tom P.

Original Poster
So I noticed that Disney has announced an update to the My Disney Experience app that allows for full online check-in. You can put your credit card information in, authorize charging, make room requests, get your room number, etc. This isn't like the old "bypass the front desk" feature where you *might* get to bypass it. This is guaranteed, full online check-in.

Call me a weirdo, but I actually don't like the concept of online check-in. I actually enjoy the check-in process, going to the lobby/front desk, interacting with the cast members, being given my check-in materials, etc. I don't actually think I would want to bypass that and go straight to my room. It would seem a less "personal" experience to me, and it would feel like something is missing.

Is that strange? Am I the only one who feels that way?

Cmdr_Crimson

So I noticed that Disney has announced an update to the My Disney Experience app that allows for full online check-in. You can put your credit card information in, authorize charging, make room requests, get your room number, etc. This isn't like the old "bypass the front desk" feature where you *might* get to bypass it. This is guaranteed, full online check-in.

Call me a weirdo, but I actually don't like the concept of online check-in. I actually enjoy the check-in process, going to the lobby/front desk, interacting with the cast members, being given my check-in materials, etc. I don't actually think I would want to bypass that and go straight to my room. It would seem a less "personal" experience to me, and it would feel like something is missing.

I wholeheartingly agree...This is the first step to the start your trip....If your a non-social disclosed person to the world around you and the only comfort is a small portable phone as your escape...You got problems...I enjoy starting out my trip with a bit of interactivity with the CM's at the hotel it makes you assured that your room is where you want it and not have problems if the system goes on the brink while you know you have everything taken cared of with out a care...

Kamikaze

So then don't use it. You are not being forced to do so. Just another option that they are giving you.

This basically settles it: You guys WILL complain about everything.

Think about the possibilities this offers instead of just having fond memories of how great it is to talk to front desk CMs.

Full online check-in could lead to DME buses dropping you off directly at a theme park.

Last edited:

jgj123

I used online check-in in February and loved it. We had 2 rooms, with the 2nd actually starting the next day. I arrived early on day one prior to the room confirmation being sent, so I went to the front desk. The rest of the party arrived later the next day and the room confirmation was sent before they arrived, they never went to the front desk. I fully intend to use online check-in when we go again next year for Mardi Gras.

But whether you use this or not, nothing is stopping you from visiting the front desk to check-in.

Tom P.

Original Poster
So then don't use it. You are not being forced to do so. Just another option that they are giving you.

This basically settles it: You guys WILL complain about everything.

Think about the possibilities this offers instead of just having fond memories of how great it is to talk to front desk CMs.

Full online check-in could lead to DME buses dropping you off directly at a theme park.
I was not complaining about anything. I was stating my opinion and asking for other people's opinions. You showed up in the thread to complain. And as the original poster, I'd be very happy if you did not post in this thread again.

Kamikaze

I was not complaining about anything. I was stating my opinion and asking for other people's opinions. You showed up in the thread to complain. And as the original poster, I'd be very happy if you did not post in this thread again.

Okay. Not complaining. Lets call it whining.

And as you aren't Steve, you can't tell me or anyone where they can post.

Tyaloo

It's still not an option for Canadians, as we have to get our magic bands at the front desk - so it's the same for us. I'm fine either way though. It would be fun to get our bands mailed to us, but postage, eh?.

deeevo

Depends on how often you go I guess. I love the process that you just described but since we go over pretty often I would rather just go straight to my room. I would think they would not remove the face to face check in process completely. Who would say Welcome Home?

Last edited:

OliveMcFly

I like the online check in. In the past I could only add 1 credit card for everyone in the party. Will the new version allow me to assign each person their own credit card? We find that we still have to visit the front desk on the first day to do this. Not a problem at all though as they get it done pretty quickly.

I have done online check-in, when I have arrived at the hotel after midnight. It's nice to go straight to your room and get to sleep.
I like checking in at the front desk because I have actually received free room upgrades, this way. Everyone is different and there is no right or wrong way.

Kamikaze

I like the online check in. In the past I could only add 1 credit card for everyone in the party. Will the new version allow me to assign each person their own credit card? We find that we still have to visit the front desk on the first day to do this. Not a problem at all though as they get it done pretty quickly.

You can already do this without the new system. Each person links their MagicBand to a different CC in their own MDE app.

Florida_is_hot

If I do not check in, I do not get room keys.
I do not like the bands and they do not ship them out side of the USA anyway.
I think next visit at check in, I will ask them for a smart card rather than the band.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom