Anyone here who actually does live at WDW???

disneymyway

I asked where you live if you could live there and then remembered that there are people who actually do live in the campground there all year long -- are any of those people here?

I would love to hear all about what that's like!

WDW Monorail

I asked where you live if you could live there and then remembered that there are people who actually do live in the campground there all year long -- are any of those people here?

I would love to hear all about what that's like!

I have never heard of people living year-round in the campground. However, There are two communities on property in which people live. The communities of Bay Lake and Lake Buena Vista. There are only a few homes and their occupants are Disney employees.

Upvote 0

disneymyway

Original Poster
I have never heard of people living year-round in the campground. However, There are two communities on property in which people live. The communities of Bay Lake and Lake Buena Vista. There are only a few homes and their occupants are Disney employees.

There was a big article in the NY Times about the people who live in the campground. I'll see if I can find it. They decorate their "lawns" for Christmas and everything!!:)

Upvote 0

lilclerk

There was a big article in the NY Times about the people who live in the campground. I'll see if I can find it. They decorate their "lawns" for Christmas and everything!!:)
I've heard of people who winter there, but not year round. Sam Brown interviewed one couple in the Holiday Disney episode she did for the Travel Channel last year.

Upvote 0

disneymyway

Original Poster
I've heard of people who winter there, but not year round. Sam Brown interviewed one couple in the Holiday Disney episode she did for the Travel Channel last year.

Maybe I'm not remembering the article well enough - I could have sworn it said year round - but I can't find the article and you are probably right.

But still, that would be pretty cool!

Upvote 0

RiversideBunny

Here's a theoretical question for you -

On the similar thread,'If you could live at one of the resorts...',
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=325838
people indicated their choice of WDW resorts.

Suppose someone had enough money and wanted to live in one of the Disney resorts. Maybe an eccentric couple with lots of $$$$$.
Could they actually do that?

The cost wouldn't really be that bad for someone with the cash.
Multipy 365 days x $200 - $300 per night for the room.
It's $73,000 - $109,000 per year.

Even with a $500 room, it's $182,000 per year.

Interesting idea in case you win the lottery.
:king::king:

Upvote 0

Rob562

I believe that Fort Wilderness has a maximum stay, something like 6 months. Then they have to vacate the premises for a specific amout of time before they can move in. Disney wouldn't let anyone get to the point where they can claim permanent residency on their property.

-Rob

Upvote 0

mickeypal1

We are DVC members and we were told that it is not possible to live at Disney all year. They have a maxium points that a person can buy so that they are ot able to live there all year. I was told about one woman who has so many points that she does stay there for a few months each winter.

Upvote 0

dopeylover

I would love to retire there when the time comes! My husband could drive one of the ferry boats to and fro Downtown Disney, and I can sell ice cream or something! I just looked on a website for the town of Celebration, and it's beautiful!:eek:

Upvote 0

donsullivan

Premium Member

Suppose someone had enough money and wanted to live in one of the Disney resorts. Maybe an eccentric couple with lots of $$$$$.

Despite the financial scenario you have described, no portion of Walt Disney World except the one very small residential area referred to elsewhere is zoned as residential. As a result, the property can only be occupied by temporary guests in the hotels and resorts not permanent residents as the scenario suggests no matter how much money you choose to spend.

Not to mention the fact that one of the many reasons Celebration was ceded out of RCID when it was done was so there would be no 'residents' or voters who would be in a position to control the government that decides what Disney is able to do with the property. The only real 'residents' of the property are those selected by RCID and are all employees of the property owner Disney.

Upvote 0

EPCOT Explorer

That's what I've always planned on doing...LOL:lol:

Upvote 0

RiversideBunny

Looks like you might have to change resorts periodically if they have a maximum length of stay policy.
No big deal. This month the Grand Floridian, next the Polynesian, etc.

You would probably also need to have a non-WDW address as your official residence for tax and voting purposes but you could probably use a relative's address for that.

Good luck with the lottery.

Upvote 0

danpam1024

I would love to retire there when the time comes! My husband could drive one of the ferry boats to and fro Downtown Disney, and I can sell ice cream or something! I just looked on a website for the town of Celebration, and it's beautiful!:eek:

My husband is going to make the margarita's at DTD and I'm going to work a Earl of Sandwich when we retire...and we will live Happily Ever After:)

Upvote 0

DisneyGigi

I believe that Fort Wilderness has a maximum stay, something like 6 months. Then they have to vacate the premises for a specific amout of time before they can move in. Disney wouldn't let anyone get to the point where they can claim permanent residency on their property.

-Rob

I have no idea if it is the same at WDW but if it is as it is with many campgrounds (at lakes and such) all you have to do is actually vacate the spot that your RV/camper is in. Physically move from the spot then you can literally back into another spot at that time if you wish to stay. (or even in to the one you were already in.)

Upvote 0

dizniz6

We were just on the Keys to the Kingdom Tour a month ago and our tour guide told us that there are actually two municipalities on disney property and each consists of 9 trailors. She said there is a huge waiting list (a few years) to live there. When we asked her why Disney only allowed 9 trailers in each area she said it was because if they had 10 they would be considered trailer parks...and disney didn't want any trailer parks on property.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom