Anyone Here Gone in Mid October?

drduck

Original Poster
Our entire family is going on the Dream in mid October. Anyone else gone during this time? A teensy bit nervous about Hurricane Season, although if we had to skip the Bahamas and stay on the ship an extra day, I would not mind in the least (although i would hate to miss Castaway Cay). What has your experience been?

Disneyfalcon

I've been in September and we were surrounded by two hurricanes and one tropical storm. The captain does an excellent job of avoiding the storms though. He rearranged our port days a couple of times and set sail for smooth waters. I can only remember one time when a Disney ship couldn't get home because of a hurricane. The passengers onboard had to stay on an extra day, and the ones waiting to board had to wait a little longer. Disney helped with all their travel arrangements, and all the passengers were compensated in some way.

But like I said, I only remember it happening once, it's very rare.

In October, you will probably be fine, I'd be much more worried about September if I was going to worry (which I wouldn't). :)

drduck

Original Poster
It would be awesome to be stuck on the ship an extra day. I would not cry over that spilled milk.

sweetpee_1993

My hubby and I are strange birds. We *wish* we could be on a ship with the big storms skirting us. We've lived along the Gulf coast most/all our lives. We've run the gammut with horrible-canes. We've seen lower-scale ones standing outside taking them in, evacuated & returned to a big pricey mess to clean up, and I worked in law enforcement communications before/during/after THE big one. We both would like to ride one at a safe proximity. We're also huge Deadliest Catch fans so we see ourselves in full rain gear standing outside at a rail screaming our heads off. We're sorta crazy like that. LOL! Even if a storm should affect your cruise, it's the stuff memories are made of, right?

Bishop85

Once, We planned to go in October but one of my friend not agree with us, he said to us that it was not a good time for visiting because the weather is very strange in October so we cancel our plan and extended to March.

Flip83

Our entire family is going on the Dream in mid October. Anyone else gone during this time? A teensy bit nervous about Hurricane Season, although if we had to skip the Bahamas and stay on the ship an extra day, I would not mind in the least (although i would hate to miss Castaway Cay). What has your experience been?

Just last October we did a Land and Sea. We did a 3 night cruise. We JUST missed a tropical storm. Lucky. But we did not get much warm or sunny weather. Our first day was bright and sunny. Day 2 at nassau was overcast, and in the 70's. Still a great day. day 3 at Castaway Cay was mostly overcast, sun peeked out a little bit, but it was in the 70's again. Again, still a great day. As long as it doesn't rain, it will be great. But even with rain, the shows are so amazing, the dining is great and there is SO much to do. We did the adult pool everyday too and it was nice till you got out. BURRRR!!!!! Only thing we were bummed about was not geting that nice strong sun to get a tan and warmer weather. But if that's the only complaint... That is pretty good! lol

My fiancé and I will be sailing for our DisneyMoon on October 20th but it is our first cruise. I am glad that you asked cause I was wondering the same thing. :)

sweetpee_1993

^^^
I've lived along the Gulf coast just shy of my whole life. ((Born in Portsmouth, VA but moved to Pensacola, FL when I was 18 months.)) Every year since I was like 13 or 14 I've kept a wary eye on the tropics from July-ish to the first part of November. The later in October you go the more likely you'll be to not have anything to worry with. The most active time seems to be August thru the end of September. That said, I've already cruised in September once and have cruises on the books for the next 2 Septembers. When hurricanes or tropical weather approaches, ships go out to sea. I remember when I was a kid & my dad was in the USNavy we watched as he headed out to sea and seemed to be chased around out there for a solid week by a wandering storm. I was a nervous mess of a child so I remember that very clearly. Even if you do have a cruise booked during the most active of weather seasons you can be pretty assured that your ship will sail and you'll have a great time. Ships will all sail around trying to avoid the worst of it. You may or may not make your scheduled ports but you'll still have a fab time. I've read when ports are cancelled for whatever reason the crew really steps up the effort & offerings to make it memorable in a good way. Also, if you miss a port you won't have to worry about paying for the excursions you had scheduled thru the cruise line there. I think I may have heard of maybe 1 cruise in all of DCL's years that didn't sail. Sometimes they'll head out a little early. I read that they sailed one from an entirely different port once and bussed all the passengers down to that port. Disney is going to do all they can to ensure that your sailing happens and you have a great time so you'll come back again! Have fun....no matter what adventure life throws at you!!!

:D

LivFreeorDisney

We did a cruise on october 22nd in 2009 and we had great weather except for the last night (around 6pm and it finished before morning) while we're heading back to port.

grfgrl

I am going with my patient and her family for her make a wish trip in October! We are looking forward to it. Curious about the shorts rule at least for breakfast.... Is that ok?

Disneyfalcon

I am going with my patient and her family for her make a wish trip in October! We are looking forward to it. Curious about the shorts rule at least for breakfast.... Is that ok?

Wow! What a trip. How nice of you to go too!
Yes, the dress codes are only for dinner in the main dining rooms. Breakfast and lunch are all casual all the time. With the exception of brunch at Remy and Palo the adult only restaurants.

sweetpee_1993

LOL! Reminds me of one of our lunches at Lumierre's on the Magic. Not only were we wearing shorts & tshirts, I carried a drink in with me because we didn't go back to the stateroom before going to lunch. Talk about classy! I was the total picture of sophistication that day! LOL!

Disneyfalcon

LOL! Reminds me of one of our lunches at Lumierre's on the Magic. Not only were we wearing shorts & tshirts, I carried a drink in with me because we didn't go back to the stateroom before going to lunch. Talk about classy! I was the total picture of sophistication that day! LOL!

I did feel slightly out of place in Lumieres in shorts. Lol.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom