Anyone ever fly to Orlando just to go to Disney for a day?

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
This is more of a weekend thing. Has anyone ever just had the urge to go to, let's say the Magic Kingdom for example - over a weekend?

In other words you plan a flight just to go to Disney for one day and take a flight back the next day. Or a very long drive. This applies to Disneyland too.

Locals don't count of course, you have that option on a boring Saturday afternoon if you wish. I am talking people that would have to travel a fair distance by flight or car just to go for one day just because you got the urge.

I've always wanted to do that, go on a whim. Fly down Friday, have a hotel at say a Super 8 or something reasonable, go to MK on Saturday, and then fly out Sunday back home.

Who has done something like this?

jaime_1234

Yes. This year we took several weekend trips from Virginia - driving! We'd leave when I got off work Friday afternoon, around 5:30, drive all night, eat breakfast at Boma (our favorite breakfast!) then go to a park afterward. We'd go to sleep early Saturday night, get up early on Sunday morning, and drive back home :wave: It's tiring, but really fun to tell people at work on Monday that I went to Disney World over the weekend :ROFLOL:

timeman

I did it last year, but not on an urge. I went for my birthday. I drove 12 hours from Virginia on a Saturday and hit Seaworld for a couple of hours before checking in at the Resort. I got up on Sunday morning and went to the Magic Kingdom. I was there until after 3am because of EMH that evening. I got up on Monday morning and went to Universal Studios for a couple of hours before driving another 12 hours to get home that evening.

yodasmith

I'm flying down Wednesday night to go to the Magic Kingdom on Friday for summer nightastic. And I'm flying back Saturday morning. We are using our Give a Day Get a Day ticket.

jrobb

We went down to Florida from Ohio to go on a cruise through Royal Caribbean and had an extra day left on our un-expired passes and stopped at WDW on our way back home from Port Canaveral.

the-reason14

whew! Thats tough. I can recall doing something like this back when I was in high school. I somewhat convinced my dad on a Wed. that since I had a 3 day weekend coming up that we should go to WDW. I didn't put much thought into it because I just knew it wasn't gonna happen. But we did, and that Fri. I left school early and we drove all through the night, and the next morning we were in Epcot. Some of it I have documented on video, but that's one time I remember doing something like that. Oh and ya, we did fly one time I think maybe a year later, and it was crazy because I remember just not being able to believe that I was at school in the morning and WDW at night.

mwbrown

My wife, two daughters and I spent 9 days at Disney last July, and then we left them with friends and flew back 6 days later for 2 1/2 days with just the two of us for our 10 year wedding anniversary. And we live about an hour north of Toronto Canada....do I win?

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
Last year I flew in from NJ late on a Thursday night and left first thing Sunday morning. It was very weird only spending 2 days in the parks.

lazyboy97o

A few years back a friend of mine was visiting from California and we left Atlanta around 11:00 PM, had breakfast and headed off to the parks. We hit most of the big attractions, and plenty of minor ones and then drove back up to Atlanta so I could be at work the next morning.

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
My wife, two daughters and I spent 9 days at Disney last July, and then we left them with friends and flew back 6 days later for 2 1/2 days with just the two of us for our 10 year wedding anniversary. And we live about an hour north of Toronto Canada....do I win?

You might just win this one so far.

Where are you in Ontario? I am in Kitchener.

zjer

Nopers, the airfare is the biggest hurdle to a WDW vacation for me. If I didn't have to deal with the airlines, I would be there every 3 months.

dxwwf3

We've driven from Tennessee a few times for only one day at the parks......of course the reason for the trip was to go to either the Citrus Bowl or Outback Bowl. So that's kinda cheating because WDW wasn't the reason for the trip, but I guess it still counts.

Phonedave

I have flow in on a Tuesday night, attended a business conference Wed, hit the parks around 6:00 PM, and flown home Thursday.

I have also flown to Tampa in the AM, attended a two hour meeting, and flown back to NJ in the same day.

-dave

rainfully

I live in Orlando. I decided on a Tues that I wanted to go to Disneyland that weekend. (my weekends are Sun/Mon) Left early Sun... spent the evening and then all day Sat at the parks.. then flew home early Tues in time to get to work that afternoon. Going all the way accross the country on a whim like that was really liberating... lol. But I tend to be incredibly spontaneous like that. :)

pmcfad

2 years ago, I surprised my wife at work with a trip like this. I found a southwest ding fare for real cheap from PHL. I showed up at her work on a Friday afternoon, and told her she had 2 hours to get home and pack, since the flight left at 8pm. I arranged for the in-laws to take the kids, and pricelined a hotel (gaylord palms). We spent Saturday in the parks (all 4!) and flew home Sunday morning. I was a great trip and surprise, but I don't know if I can top it now!

RichS

When Expedition Everest opened for Passholder preview, We flew down from Pa late Thursday night, then back first thing Sunday morning. We hit all 4 parks in those two days, and even Universal for a bit. We didn't get much sleep at all, and I was like a zombie Monday at work.:snore:

foreverbelle

Never done it but believe me the thought has crossed my mind a few times, my husband and I virtually plan it all out and everything. Hoping that one of these days, that talking will turn into lets just do it!

Timekeeper

Well, once Disney opens its own airline and dedicated on-site airport... :sohappy:

If there were to ever be a MCO-Disney/Universal railway, then I would anticipate seeing more compact/short-stay hotel-like accommodations in those areas for people who elect to do exactly what the OP suggests. All you would need a bathroom and twin size bed in a 10x10 room and, for the right price, those weekend trips would be a lot more feasible.

MasonDuo

My DH and I just did this over Memorial day weekend. On Thursday we decided that we couldn't wait until September for our trip so on Friday we hopped on the plane spent a fun and kinda tiring weekend in the World and came back on Monday. It was well worth it just to think that we could be spontaneous.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom