Anyone Else Worried About Monsters University?

mousehockey37

I hope Monsters Univ. is successful. Anyone can dress up a commercial to make a product look good!!! So to say that the trailers get better and better, can be an understatement. Look at some items that they can make commercials for that the things are just plain boring: slip n slide, above ground pools, etc...

Once again, as has been stated with threads about Imagineers not trying or WDW putting out boring products, etc. maybe it's time to bring in some fresh talent.

If it's something I'm sick of, it's the lack of creativity in the world anymore. Music on the radio is just covers of stuff from 20-30 years ago, the majority of "new" stuff isn't new. TV, don't even get me started, American Idol is in season 391834 it seems, with So You Think You Can Dance not far behind. It's awful on the weekends when I go to watch a movie and then when it's over, it's playing all over again!!! PUT ON ANOTHER MOVIE!!!! Oh yeah, the Friday, Saturday, Sunday night showings of the same movie at the same time give me just SOO many options as well.

Anyway, there has to be people out there with new, fresh ideas. Those people need to be discovered and brought in to share their ideas. Just making 7 movies in a series kinda kills things. I'm a huge POTC fan, but it just seems that they're starting to run that series til it crashes and burns. Before it's too late, Disney might want to think about how Cap'n Jack's run will come to an end...

lazyboy97o

It was actually a direct to dvd, rush job outsourced by Disney but last minute they decided to push to theatres to cash in on the marketing (see: Cars)
I can't say I'm looking forward to M:U. I liked Monsters Inc (prob my favorite Pixar film) but I think their idea well has shriveled and died. I more look forward to Disney Feature Animation. I'll perk up some for Frozen.
Planes is a product of DisneyToon Studios.

jmorri26

Planes is a product of DisneyToon Studios.
Yep but doesn't mean Disney Toon Studios animates it.
They do story and produce it all and slap their name on it, but physically create it, they do not. They send out bids to multiple animation houses and then that studio creates everything for them.
If I remember correctly, Prana Studios did most of it. They did all the Tinkerbell movies for them. They're out of Mumbai.

Californian Elitist

Monsters U will do just fine. My generation will go and see it, because we were kids when the first one came out. The it happened for Toy Story 3. I was a senior in high school and all my buddies kept talking about how Toy Story was a big part of their childhood and they just HAD to see the third one. My sister saw it before I did and she said there were only a few kids in the theater. Everyone else was either a teenager or a young adult. I'm sure the same will occur for Monsters.

imagineer boy

I've honestly never be very enthused about it at all. None of the trailers have gotten me interested. And the first Monsters Inc while good, has never been one of my favorites. And on top of all that, I still really don't understand why Monsters Inc warranted a sequel. The only movie I wanted to see a sequel to was Incredibles which is practically MADE for a sequel! It really boggles my mind over why they never even considered it.

Calvin Coolidge

Yikes. I expect review to stabilize a bit above this, but I'm not anticipating an 85%+ from this movie.

I'm pessimistic about this film mostly because all of the things I found compelling in the original - the blue-collar, hard-working protagonists, the pseudo-father/daughter relationship of Sulley and Boo, the character growth of Sulley - are basically being boxed out of this by making a prequel.

(Why is a college degree required to work in a factory? Is this an economically efficient way to train workers? Wouldn't trade school or apprenticeships be more effective? If the job of a "scarer" is something monsters aspire to, and need a four-year degree for, why are middle-aged Mike and Sulley still living together in that crap apartment in MI? Do they have student loans to pay off? Why would someone aspire to, and invest large amounts of money towards, a career that doesn't allow a single, childless individual who's been working for decades to sustain a middle-class lifestyle? If scaring is something innate to Monsters - that is, they have evolved to be effective scarers - why do they need special training to do it? Can't they just teach them how to operate the doors, establish a few policies on secrecy, ethics, etc., and send them on their way?)

(Are Monsters all the same species? If so, why do they all look so different? Even, for instance, dogs, which can look very unalike in size, shape, and color, have some basic characteristics in common. Monsters don't. How do Monsters reproduce? Do they even reproduce? If not, where do they come from, and why do they engage in romantic relationships and nuclear families?)

(If the MU trailers and clips are any indication the universe that the Monsters live in has weak logical footing. It's almost as bad as in Cars, which has no logical footing whatsoever.)

(Why is the school called "Monsters University?" Humans feel no need to label services and institutions with the title "Human." You don't send your kids to "Human School," or go to a "Human Doctor." Is Monsters University just a branch of Monsters, Inc.? If so, why would they have a separate degree program? If Monsters, Inc. has a monopoly on energy production in Monstropolis, why don't they just train potential employees themselves?)

(If the big lesson of Monsters, Inc. was that it's unethical for Monsters to scare children because laughter is a more powerful energy source, then why would we want to watch a movie where the characters are behaving unethically? Doesn't that sort of discolor everything that happens in this movie to know the whole time the characters are unknowingly harming innocents?)

(If Sulley is kind of a jerk pre-Boo, doesn't that mean he was kind of a jerk in college, too? After Brave and Cars, does anyone want ANOTHER Pixar movie where the protagonist is a jerk? Usually, the Pixar character arc is that Protagonist X is a jerk who redeems himself and learns a lesson and stops being such a jerk: Woody, Buzz, Flik, Marlin, Mr. Incredible, Remy, Carl Frederickson. The reason Brave and Cars are comparatively weak is that Merida and Lightning don't reeeally stop being jerks at the end of the movie, people just become more tolerant of their misbehavior. In Cars 2 Lightning is back to being a jerk again. Who wants to see that? Why would anyone want to see Sulley the jerk again? And if he learns to be nice in this one, why does he need to re-learn it in MI? Why are we supposed to be invested in Sulley's development if we know he'll regress soon afterwards?)

I do expect this movie will make a lot of money, but I expect it will make less than Despicable Me 2.

Thrill

Less concerned about the quality of the movie itself and more concerned with Pixar in general.

They made one sequel in their first 15 years of making feature length movies. Three of their last four movies will have been sequels this time in a month. That's scary, especially with another sequel slated for release in a couple of years. Not making sequels was what separated Pixar. They worked extremely hard to come up with new and innovative ideas for movies, and lately they've just been spitting out sequels. Granted, Toy Story 3 was excellent (best in the franchise, in my opinion), and I have yet to see Cars 2 (if John Lasseter had to come in at last minute with his busy schedule, it was probably not salvageable; Toy Story 2 is what you get in those situations. Toy Story 2 wasn't bad, but that was a far less busy Pixar).

Animaniac93-98

@Calvin Coolidge did you here about Pixar's reaction to their own continuity screw-up? In the original Monsters, Inc. Mike says to Sulley "you've been jealous of my looks since the fourth grade", implying that they've known each other at least since that time. However, Monsters University shows that the two never met before college. Pixar's reaction? "Oh, that's just an expression".

Thrill

@Calvin Coolidge did you here about Pixar's reaction to their own continuity screw-up? In the original Monsters, Inc. Mike says to Sulley "you've been jealous of my looks since the fourth grade", implying that they've known each other at least since that time. However, Monsters University shows that the two never met before college. Pixar's reaction? "Oh, that's just an expression".

To be honest, I read that and thought that it was just an exaggeration.

MOXOMUMD

I do want to go see MU just to see how Pixar does with it and does it live up to the hype. From a purely entertainment aspect I'm more excited to go see Despicable Me 2. I think DM2 might get the edge over MU at the box office because it has been so long since Monsters Inc. came out. (Plus those Minions are so darn cute, :p.)

Matt7187

I do want to go see MU just to see how Pixar does with it and does it live up to the hype. From a purely entertainment aspect I'm more excited to go see Despicable Me 2. I think DM2 might get the edge over MU at the box office because it has been so long since Monsters Inc. came out. (Plus those Minions are so darn cute, :p.)
I think the minions are a knock off of the aliens in TS!!

MOXOMUMD

I think the minions are a knock off of the aliens in TS!!
When will WDW be getting TS Alien suites like the new Minion suites at Uni? Yeah, never. I like the aliens. "The Claw" is an often said phrase every time we pass our Wal-Mart game room, lol.

pluto13

I have never been a Sequel fan (i am fond of some though), i think the fact that it has been hyped so is that it might not do well in the box office

TropicalFig8

I always had the speculation that Sully and Mike were in the same 4th grade class and knew each other but forgot about it. Don't you ever forget someone you didn't realize was a childhood friend of yours back in the day?

WED99

Just got out of the theater. Trust me, it's not a poorly made sequel. It has all the properties that all great Pixar movies have. The characters are hilarious, the story is uplifting and not at all cliche and the message at the end is a real pick me up for any student (sure has made me feel a ton better about going through senior year).

Well done Pixar, you did not disappoint!

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Just got out of the theater. Trust me, it's not a poorly made sequel. It has all the properties that all great Pixar movies have. The characters are hilarious, the story is uplifting and not at all cleshea and the message at the end is a real pick me up for any student (sure has made me feel a ton better about going through senior year).

Well done Pixar, you did not disappoint!
Your review makes me want to see it even more!

Twoshea :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom