Anyone else unhappy with Polynesian?

PoohB

I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed a change at the Poly lately. My family has been staying there for about 10 years straight(yeah I know that's pathetic) because we love the atmosphere. This year we were not able to go, but some of my family just got back and they said that the Poly has gone down considerably as far as service and cleanliness. My mom said that it didn't look like they vaccumed the whole time they were there(5 days) and there was a big spot of bird droppings on the window that they asked if anyone could clean. Of course no one ever did. She also said housekeeping was just rude. I know these seem like stupid things to some people, but when you pay $300 a night, you hold them to a higher standard. We are actually thinking of switching for the first time next year to a new hotel. Just wondering if anyone else noticed.

Fido

I would be very displeased. I have always wanted to stay there, but couldn't bring myself to spend the money (I could spend it elsewhere and stay somewhere like the value resorts since I am only there to sleep). At those prices, they should get an earfull.

I hope that was a fluke, because that is a really nice place to stay (or was?).

Upvote 0

Moonshadow1

We'd stayed there during our honeymoon. The housekeepers would bug you contiuniously to get in to clean the room. Do not disturb sign or not. But the rest of the staff were great. Much much better than the horrible service we encountered at the Grand.

Upvote 0

Dukeblue1016

Moonshadow1 said:
Much much better than the horrible service we encountered at the Grand.

Bad service at the Grand FL. really???? I'd NEVER expect that, i mean you would expect only top notch service considering it costs you like a year's salary to stay there..... per night...

Upvote 0

Nion4

Sorry to hear about your experience.

Sounds pretty cruddy.

Four Seasons was considering building over in Celebration. Too bad they've cancelled their plans for now. Otherwise I'd say 'there is hope!'. I've noticed their service quality is high (at Miami, Newport Beach, Scottsdale).

At $300 a night they should be doting on you hand and foot!

Sad.

Upvote 0

Moonshadow1

Dukeblue1016 said:
Bad service at the Grand FL. really???? I'd NEVER expect that, i mean you would expect only top notch service considering it costs you like a year's salary to stay there..... per night...

It was so bad we left the first night and moved to the poly. We'll never make that mistake again. To their credit they did send us a letter offering us two free nights to make up for "not living up to the magic." The concierge were rude, all of our ressies were wrong, three different rooms, none of which were what we had booked, and had confirmation for. It was a nightmare, even booked through the WDW travel. We waited almost 45 minutes downstairs for someone to come take us to check in. And the whole time acting as if we were the problem. By 9 that night after a full day of arguing with them My DH said lets go. Either we get another hotel room or were going home. Poly had extra rooms. They were wonderful compared to the nightmare we had left.

Upvote 0

mousermerf

Account Suspended
I had a very similiar experience at the Grand. Seriosuly bummed to find out it's not an isolated incident. As mentioned in another thread, I wont stay there again.

Upvote 0

Dukeblue1016

Moonshadow1 said:
It was so bad we left the first night and moved to the poly. We'll never make that mistake again. To their credit they did send us a letter offering us two free nights to make up for "not living up to the magic." The concierge were rude, all of our ressies were wrong, three different rooms, none of which were what we had booked, and had confirmation for. It was a nightmare, even booked through the WDW travel. We waited almost 45 minutes downstairs for someone to come take us to check in. And the whole time acting as if we were the problem. By 9 that night after a full day of arguing with them My DH said lets go. Either we get another hotel room or were going home. Poly had extra rooms. They were wonderful compared to the nightmare we had left.

wow, thats amazing... in a bad way, but to my surprise is what I mean. I am terribly sorry to hear about that experience... at least you were offered two years salary free for it at the least...

Upvote 0

Moonshadow1

Sadly I hear that everytime I tell someone. That they or someone they know had a similar experience. But live and learn, and take the two free nights. Just not depending on them for anything other than a bed. Hope they get that right at least this year. We did learn one thing. If you have a complaint you need to get to someone BEFORE you leave. Once you leave your gone. And as far a disney is concerned the problem left with you.

Upvote 0

bhickman

wdwishes2005 said:
i would call guest relations and get your money back, then use it for a contemporary tower room.
I second this...... Make some noise...
  But I'd prefer AKL instead... Probably the most polite staff I have seen at WDW and that's saying a lot!!!!

BTW: Your not asking for anyhting that's not deserved if the experience was that bad so don't hestiate to ask for something back.

Upvote 0

slowjoe170

My wife and I stayed at the Poly a few times in the early 90's and thought it was great. We tried the Wilderness lodge in 1998 just for a change of pace and have been staying there every year ever since. We've never had a bad experience there.

Joe

Upvote 0

poohbear6103

We always stay at the Poly (I mean for years) and we have never had a problem (proven by the fact that we are going back in 6 days for a 12 day trip and staying at the Poly for the duration). We are always treated like kings and queens. I guess everyone has different experiences but we have had too many good ones there for it to just be luck. Especially after our treatment during last year's hurricanes which was wonderful. Sorry your experience was not good, hopefully the Disney will do the decent thing and make it up to you.

Upvote 0

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
Sorry to hear you had a bad experience....I was at the Poly in late March and loved every minute of it. Some CM's really went out of their way to make our trip special (birthday trip). On the other had however, I did notice a few cleanliness issues. Some of the carpets did look like they needed some major cleaning and our daybed was covered in crayon scribbles (not Disney's prob really tho...just inconsiderate idiots who let their children run wild.) Other than that we really loved it...much better than some experiences I've had at other Disney resorts ::cough:: All Star resorts::cough:: Make some noise about ur trip tho...Disney will make it right.

Upvote 0

WDWKat26

wdwishes2005 said:
i would call guest relations and get your money back, then use it for a contemporary tower room.

Uh, easy there killer. The room wasn't tidy, but that's definitely not grounds for a full refund of the trip. That's like those people who go to guest relations saying "It rained, I want my money back that I paid for my ticket to the park!".

Anyway, I would though definitely reccomend writing to the Polynesian Managment. Tell them that you were unsatisfied with the staff's politeness towards you as guests and that your room was very untidy even after Housekeeping had come through. Good luck!

Upvote 0

hls1023

My boyfriend and I stayed in the Caribbean Beach Resort in I think November or December of 2001. It was the day that it opened after being closed for awhile due to renovation. We had a HORRIBLE time. When we got to our room (about 7:00pm) our TV didn't work so we called the front desk and it took 3 hours for the maintenace person to get there to tell us that our TV was broken (Duh). Apparently they must have opened the hotel too early because there were toilets not flushing, sinks not working, doors not unlocking, AND it was one of the coldest nights in Orlando (like 30 degrees) so there were people who couldn't get into their roooms. When we were offered another room we had to wait for someone to bring us a key so we waited another hour and NO ONE showed up. I called the front desk and told them that we only lived an hour and a half away and that we could have driven home and back in the amount of time it was taking them to take care of everything. So long story short they refunded us all our money for the park tickets and the hotel and of course as we were walking out to the car somone was coming up the walk to give us our room key (by now it was midnight) but we told him no thank you and we left.

I'm sure since it's been awhile that they've worked all the kinks out of the system but it was a bad enough experience for us that we won't stay there again. :( It's a shame that Disney could literally put a toolshed in the middle of nowhere, charge people $150.00 a night to stay and people would be lining up.
<!-- / message -->

Upvote 0

MouseMadness

We've stayed twice there a year for the past 3 years now (going back in December) and have NEVER had trouble! Our last trip was just in April. Curious... what building were they in?

Oh, and our December trip is being split between GF and Poly, so I guess I'll be able to judge first hand whether service has gone down in either.

Upvote 0

Edeyore

WDWKat26 said:
Uh, easy there killer. The room wasn't tidy, but that's definitely not grounds for a full refund of the trip. That's like those people who go to guest relations saying "It rained, I want my money back that I paid for my ticket to the park!".

Anyway, I would though definitely reccomend writing to the Polynesian Managment. Tell them that you were unsatisfied with the staff's politeness towards you as guests and that your room was very untidy even after Housekeeping had come through. Good luck!

Usually I would agree with you, but the last time I stayed at the Polynesian
I was a little less than impressed. (considering the price to stay.) On rooms
that are cleaned each day, there were cob webs in the corners of the room
and over the curtains. I dropped my keys on the floor and went to get them
and found a beer can, on the floor, under the spread on the bed. Considering
the beds were on a block, and things can not roll under them this was a bit
disturbing. Finally, I know it is Florida, but finding Palmetto bugs in the bathroom is gross.

Upvote 0

tikiman

I just got back on Monday and I was in two different rooms (garden view Rapa Nui and Lagoon view concierge Hawaii) and both rooms were spotless. The whole place looked great other than a few of the elevators in some of the longhouses look like they could use a facelift. They are in the middle of adding the newly designed rooms where everything in the room is being replaced (new furniture, paint, artwork, 37” flat panel TV, refrigerator, coffee maker, etc) and the rooms look awesome. Housekeeping was very friendly.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom