Anyone else hate flying FROM Orlando?

captainkidd

Just curious what others have to say about this. Don't get me wrong - I totally understand and approve of the TSA measures. However, at MCO, when going home, it has become an absolute nightmare, especially with young children. We have 3 airports that fly into MCO - Boston, Providence and Manchester. Not one of them is as disorganized and chaotic as MCO. Flying into MCO is no problem, but leaving, we DREAD having to go through their security. It's gotten so bad for us, we're going to start flying home from Sanford or Tampa.

Nemo14

We've never really had a problem there - it takes longer of course, due to the high volume of families, but we've never really had much of a delay.
What kind of issues are you having with them?

Upvote 0

BigTxEars

I agree it is busy of course but I think they do a good job there of handling it. It moves along at a steady pace. I feel sorry for the folks that have to work there :)

The worst part is that it means the vacation is over :(

Upvote 0

captainkidd

Original Poster
We've never really had a problem there - it takes longer of course, due to the high volume of families, but we've never really had much of a delay.
What kind of issues are you having with them?

I just find it very disorganized. Some of the agents there are also very rude. They get mad at you if you don't know exactly where to go. When it's busy, it is VERY confusing. There are about 12 lines that all merge into 1.

When I'm by myself, I don't mind as much. It's just annoying because it takes so long. But with my kids, it becomes downright miserable.

Upvote 0

captainkidd

Original Poster
I love MCO...it's one of the easiest airports I have ever flown out of. It's way better than LAX, JFK, ORD, ATL, or SFO.

In terms of simple logistics, I would agree. It's also one of the nicest airports. I just find the security part an absolute nightmare.

Upvote 0

DrummerAlly

I grew up in MA so I've flown from PVD and BOS many times. We're spoiled in our area with calm and organized airports. While MCO can be busy, I've never had too stressful of a time getting through security there. I can imagine with small children it would be different though.

Upvote 0

GoochDSA

JFK, EWR, LGA

Those are nightmares. MCO is a delight compared to those.

Totally agree, that's why we fly out of Islip now (not to mention I can roll out of bed 90 mins before my flight and be sitting at the gate with my Starbucks in about 40 minutes :D).

While I don't think MCO is that bad, I will agree with the OP that the whole security check area was poorly designed and that whole area would flow much smoother if they made a better effort in organizing the lines.

Upvote 0

Nemo14

The biggest problem I find with security lines there is with people who have no idea what they are doing. I mean really, TSA has been around for a long time now - you'd think people would have some idea now what they can and can't do. As they say, it's not rocket science!

All in all though, I think MCO is one of the easiest airports to fly in and out of.

Upvote 0

captainkidd

Original Poster
The biggest problem I find with security lines there is with people who have no idea what they are doing. I mean really, TSA has been around for a long time now - you'd think people would have some idea now what they can and can't do. As they say, it's not rocket science!

I agree with this. There are people that are clueless, and that no doubt slows the lines down. I stand by my statement though - Security checkpoints at MCO are very poorly organized.

Upvote 0

nolatron

I don't think I've ever had a problem getting through security at MCO. It's usually pretty quick for us as far as I remember.

Last Nov flying home on Southwest I don't think we had to bother with body scanners or pat downs with our toddler in tow (flying out MSY we did). We did the family lane and breezed right on through in a couple minutes.

Upvote 0

captainkidd

Original Poster
Obviously, it depends on if you're there in peak season and what day you leave. We have to go in July, and stupidly, we leave on a Sunday, which is when most people leave.

Upvote 0

Pooh Lover

I love MCO...it's one of the easiest airports I have ever flown out of. It's way better than LAX, JFK, ORD, ATL, or SFO.

I agree. With the amount of family traffic (children, strollers, carryons) this airport has, I think it handles it quite well. Sure, there are backups at peak times, but that is to be expected. It may seem worse because you dead tired, broke and going home. I actually look forward to this airport over many others.

Upvote 0

Mammymouse

We always fly MCO to PVD and return as well, because we have residences/business in FL and RI. And a visit to Disneyworld is just icing on the cake! We are always AMAZED at how quickly MCO can process the HUGE crowds so quickly, in the organized chaos! We always print our boarding passes and we always fly Southwest direct. PVD is much smaller in comparison and is a breeze, and particularly because we can fly mid day when it is not busy. We try to only use carry ons - no checked bags, so that cuts out some of the craziness, too. But when we have flown with our Daughter and family we just make sure we get there in plenty of time, because they have suit cases other than carry-ons and have to go through bag check. Extra time smooths out a lot of issues.

Upvote 0

rescueigs

we find MCO to be the best airport to fly in and out of..... we are on the 1st flight in and the 1st flight out, it's quiet and rarely any kids around at 5 in the morning :) since we don't have kids , it's really easy for us! :)

Upvote 0
For the amount of people it serves, I have never had a problem with MCO. I have found many rude TSA agents at PVD. When I use to fly alone with my 2 kids, when they were babies, they wouldn't help me even fold the stroller up. I literally had to have a total stranger hold my child because they wouldn't help me out at all, they just stood there and looked at me and I refused to let my kids climb all over an airport floor. I even found Logan TSA workers to be more helpful, at least they would help me fold the stroller, which I found surprising b/c Logan has it's own reputation. That said I still fly out of PVD b/c it's only minutes away from my house now.

Upvote 0

LowesChevy

ITA that MCO is really unorganized-going through security is brutal at some points in the day- at least from the terminal we go out of-Continental. You spend a week at WDW with all of the organization and nice flow of the queues and then head back to the airport and scratch your head.

I also agree with the fact that TSA is disorganized and inconsistant. Every year we fly out of CLE, MSP, PHX, MCO and MIA or FLL and with the exception of empty your pockets, laptops out of bags, shoes off and everything in the bin, there are still some issues that are different from airport to airport. It is annoying and confuses people slowing down lines. :eek:

Upvote 0

worldfanatic

I travel quite a bit and MCO is far and away one the cleanest, most organized, enjoyable airports to fly through.
Never had any kind of a problem going through security.

Try LAX or Miami International if you want a real nightmare.:dazzle:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom