Anyone else, had frustrating situations with their Travel Agent??

Lilly08

I posted in the Resort section yesterday and got wonderful advice.
I called Disney to see if I could put in my Hotel request.
Well, I have to go into my local travel agent. I used a local travel agent to book my family’s Christmas Disney World trip.
I have had nothing but total nightmare situations with this travel agent. Every time they have had to fix a mistake on my account it has caused even more issues on (My Disney Experience) APP. Examples, deleted park tickets, deleted special event tickets, which effected my abilities to do dinner reservations, purchasing advanced event tickets, booking special tours.
My memory maker was deleted twice. My last issue with the memory maker. It just left me speechless. Short version, I was told at 11am, not log into (My Disney Experience) till Travel Agent got word back from Disney internet help desk. Because it could cause more issues on it. She said It would be fixed by 3pm and she would call me as soon it was up. Well, I waited till 5pm and tried calling her for news. Office had closed early... I had to wait 45mins to speak with Disney for a confirmation everything was ok and I could log into (My Disney Experience)! I still haven’t received that call from her...
Misspelled names on flight tickets, twice! This happening with photo copies of everyone’s birth certificates in front of travel agent doing the fix’s!
Every time it has happened. I’ve had to wait for the travel agent office to open...
Then they will throw the blame on Disney.
I’ve spent over 48hrs on the phone with Disney internet help desk. Which in the end I’ve had to call travel agent to resolve it..
Disney World can NOT see my Disney Package. They can not add or subtract things from it. They can’t even just add notes onto it..
I’m sick to my stomach, of just having to call them to add my hotel room request this morning.. Just another bump in my road, being a mommy to 6 beautiful girls!

ChubbyK

I have been using Kingdom Konsultants for better than 10 years now and I will never think about doing all this myself.. I make a few emails or calls and I am done .. Pam and her staff do an amazing job of taking care of everything I need for my Disney trips...Both the the Parks as well as a Disney Cruise...In fact just took one with her this past July...Wonderful time...Thanks again Pam !

Upvote 0

cdeev8690

Now they are even too lazy to book a hotel. LOL

Friendly neighborhood millennial here! I've never used a TA and have never heard of any of my friends using them either. I don't know about other people my age but we're pretty self-sufficient. I imagine for travels to unfamiliar foreign countries and/or for a large group, a TA may be useful. Also, the article you posted says that although there's been an increase in the number of millennials utilizing TA's, Baby Boomers hold the majority and also spend more:)

Back on topic though! When it concerns Disney TA's, it is typically worth it to go with some of the top names. I know of some other self-employed agents who also do a great job with booking WDW and cruise trips. Everyone has to start somewhere but some people claim to be able to book Disney trips but aren't certified which can cause problems. But with so many sources available for free up-to-date information and advice (podcasts, blogs, this forum), booking WDW trips on your own has never been easier (this sounded like an ad)

Best of luck! I hope everything works out and you have a great trip!

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Friendly neighborhood millennial here! I've never used a TA and have never heard of any of my friends using them either. I don't know about other people my age but we're pretty self-sufficient. I imagine for travels to unfamiliar foreign countries and/or for a large group, a TA may be useful. Also, the article you posted says that although there's been an increase in the number of millennials utilizing TA's, Baby Boomers hold the majority and also spend more:)

Back on topic though! When it concerns Disney TA's, it is typically worth it to go with some of the top names. I know of some other self-employed agents who also do a great job with booking WDW and cruise trips. Everyone has to start somewhere but some people claim to be able to book Disney trips but aren't certified which can cause problems. But with so many sources available for free up-to-date information and advice (podcasts, blogs, this forum), booking WDW trips on your own has never been easier (this sounded like an ad)

I am wondering how you get easier than doing near nothing?

I literally can book a week long trip to WDW complete with dining reservations with a single email to my TA and it does not cost me a dime and I know I will get the best price possible.

Upvote 0

DryerLintFan

Premium Member

Same. The only time I would typically (outside of Disney) consider using a travel agent is if we had a large group traveling from multiple locations, and at least half of those people were not "planner type" personalities.

I've never been to Disney World before, but my trip plan is solid. I learned what was needed through this forum, other websites, Touring Plans tools, and blogs. Basically any question I've had could be typed into Google and a number of resources pop up answering it. And when that failed, I had you guys!!

I think the main draw for booking through a travel agent for Disney though is that every time I've called Disney about something I needed to change or fix, I'm out an hour of my life. Their hold times are substantial. And you wouldn't have to wake up early on FP+ day. It's just all around easier if you aren't a "planner type" personality

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cdeev8690

I am wondering how you get easier than doing near nothing?

I literally can book a week long trip to WDW complete with dining reservations with a single email to my TA and it does not cost me a dime and I know I will get the best price possible.

I wasn't insinuating that booking on your own is 'easier' than booking with a TA. Many people prefer to have full control (I'm one of them). I was just saying that there's a ton of information out there now and you can bounce ideas and questions off of other people, so you may feel like you may not require a TA for your Disney trips if the concern is not having all of the information. My response was to someone whom had insinuated that using a TA is 'lazy'. I don't support that philosophy at all! I thought using a TA would be beneficial if you were not familiar with the location/locations you were visiting. For me, using a TA for Disney is not something I've considered. I'm glad it's worked out for you though

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DisneyJoe

Back on topic though! When it concerns Disney TA's, it is typically worth it to go with some of the top names. I know of some other self-employed agents who also do a great job with booking WDW and cruise trips. Everyone has to start somewhere but some people claim to be able to book Disney trips but aren't certified which can cause problems.
What certification are you talking about? There is no such thing as a "Disney certified TA". If you are referring to an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner agency, (or Earmarked), all that means is that the agency (not the agent) has sold a certain amount of Disney Destinations in the past and has promised to continue to do so and the agency has signed a contract with Disney to continue to market Disney Destinations.

Valid travel agent certifications are the Travel Institute CTA/CTC/CTIE certifications (also their TAP test), as well as CLIA's CCC/ACC/MCC/ECC certifications, and a new ASTA Verified Travel Advisor. None of these focus on Disney.

FYI - I have owned a Disney-focused travel agency since 2004 and have been in the travel business since the late 90's.

Upvote 0

cdeev8690

What certification are you talking about? There is no such thing as a "Disney certified TA". If you are referring to an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner agency, (or Earmarked), all that means is that the agency (not the agent) has sold a certain amount of Disney Destinations in the past and has promised to continue to do so and the agency has signed a contract with Disney to continue to market Disney Destinations.

Valid travel agent certifications are the Travel Institute CTA/CTC/CTIE certifications (also their TAP test), as well as CLIA's CCC/ACC/MCC/ECC certifications, and a new ASTA Verified Travel Advisor. None of these focus on Disney.

FYI - I have owned a Disney-focused travel agency since 2004 and have been in the travel business since the late 90's.

Yes, sorry I didn't use the proper verbiage. Clearly, I'm not a TA ;)
I'm not questioning anyone's ability to do their business. I've discussed with other TA's who essentially talk smack on people who claim to be able to book Disney trips for people but aren't essentially 'qualified' thus get in over their heads. I did say in my post that I don't think that's very fair as people do have to start somewhere. I also work in business, albeit a very different business, and I understand mistakes or other situations out of our control that can make a situation with a client very strained. The OP's situation could have been a one-off but there are three sides to every story.

Upvote 0

DisneyJoe

Yes, sorry I didn't use the proper verbiage. Clearly, I'm not a TA ;)
I'm not questioning anyone's ability to do their business. I've discussed with other TA's who essentially talk smack on people who claim to be able to book Disney trips for people but aren't essentially 'qualified' thus get in over their heads. I did say in my post that I don't think that's very fair as people do have to start somewhere. I also work in business, albeit a very different business, and I understand mistakes or other situations out of our control that can make a situation with a client very strained. The OP's situation could have been a one-off but there are three sides to every story.
I understand - there is a wide range of ways for people to get into the Disney TA business - some agency owners give a few months of training and mentoring by themselves and their senior agents so that they are sure that their new agents are properly trained as well as ongoing training and support - while others pay a fee and are handed a binder/manual and are on their own and are an instant agent with little to no support. It's a shame, and a client has no way to tell the difference except to ask for referrals from friends.

Upvote 0

cdeev8690

Note to self : people are very defensive of their Disney TA's. Avoid future threads

back-away-slowly_zpshikx0m0h.jpg

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I wasn't insinuating that booking on your own is 'easier' than booking with a TA. Many people prefer to have full control (I'm one of them). I was just saying that there's a ton of information out there now and you can bounce ideas and questions off of other people, so you may feel like you may not require a TA for your Disney trips if the concern is not having all of the information. My response was to someone whom had insinuated that using a TA is 'lazy'. I don't support that philosophy at all! I thought using a TA would be beneficial if you were not familiar with the location/locations you were visiting. For me, using a TA for Disney is not something I've considered. I'm glad it's worked out for you though
While a TA is a great asset if you are visiting an unfamiliar place, especially one as complicated as WDW, they also can take care of a lot of the leg work for a familiar one as well.

In the case of WDW, my number of visits and resort stays are into the three digit range and I worked for 3 years as a TA with an Earmarked agency (Kingdom Konsultants) and I still use a TA, because... why not?

Like I said earlier, I send a single E-mail to my agent and I am done. I don't have to get up at 0-dark 30 to make dining reservations, check for discounts or wait on hold to make changes or try to get that promotion that just dropped. If I have a question I have a single point of contact.

As I see it, not using a TA is like refusing free delivery for a new refrigerator when I live on the 4th floor of a building with no elevator.

Upvote 0

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
While a TA is a great asset if you are visiting an unfamiliar place, especially one as complicated as WDW, they also can take care of a lot of the leg work for a familiar one as well.

In the case of WDW, my number of visits and resort stays are into the three digit range and I worked for 3 years as a TA with an Earmarked agency (Kingdom Konsultants) and I still use a TA, because... why not?

Like I said earlier, I send a single E-mail to my agent and I am done. I don't have to get up at 0-dark 30 to make dining reservations, check for discounts or wait on hold to make changes or try to get that promotion that just dropped. If I have a question I have a single point of contact.

As I see it, not using a TA is like refusing free delivery for a new refrigerator when I live on the 4th floor of a building with no elevator.

I don't think anyone is debating the merits of a good Disney TA. There was a discussion upthread about whether or not millennial regularly use travel agents and we're just saying that we personally don't and neither do our friends.

Upvote 0

DisneyJill

hi guys! a friendly kingdom konsultant here, offering my perspective:

to the OP, i am super sorry you had this experience. you shouldn't have. i can't speak for every disney TA out there, but at kingdom konsultant, we all work together to make sure that our clients have the best experience possible. i have a friend who booked just last week--their first trip to wdw--at christmas--she had no idea about fastpasses or dining or anything. for her, it was worth it to come to me because i spent hours walking her through everything and explaining how things work. i booked her dining and fastpasses and helped her understand park to park travel times, etc...things the first time guest doesn't perhaps think of. not every wdw guest needs that level of attention or detail, but for the ones who do, we're here. some clients do get frustrated over not being able to access their vacation packages, and others appreciate that i am the one who waits 40 minutes on hold to make a small change instead of them. :) we also watch for those promotions to release and do our very best to get discounts for our clients, which is something that not every individual has the time or desire (or knows) to do.

i do this as a second job because, honestly, it's fun! when i don't have a trip planned for myself, i get to help others and getting those coveted dining reservations or fastpasses is so exciting! but it's usually not luck or coincidence--it's because we are constantly watching and checking for our clients. i know using a TA isn't for everyone, and that's totally okay! :)

Upvote 0

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
hi guys! a friendly kingdom konsultant here, offering my perspective:

to the OP, i am super sorry you had this experience. you shouldn't have. i can't speak for every disney TA out there, but at kingdom konsultant, we all work together to make sure that our clients have the best experience possible. i have a friend who booked just last week--their first trip to wdw--at christmas--she had no idea about fastpasses or dining or anything. for her, it was worth it to come to me because i spent hours walking her through everything and explaining how things work. i booked her dining and fastpasses and helped her understand park to park travel times, etc...things the first time guest doesn't perhaps think of. not every wdw guest needs that level of attention or detail, but for the ones who do, we're here. some clients do get frustrated over not being able to access their vacation packages, and others appreciate that i am the one who waits 40 minutes on hold to make a small change instead of them. :) we also watch for those promotions to release and do our very best to get discounts for our clients, which is something that not every individual has the time or desire (or knows) to do.

i do this as a second job because, honestly, it's fun! when i don't have a trip planned for myself, i get to help others and getting those coveted dining reservations or fastpasses is so exciting! but it's usually not luck or coincidence--it's because we are constantly watching and checking for our clients. i know using a TA isn't for everyone, and that's totally okay! :)

I've thought about how much fun it would be to plan vacations for people as a side gig. I bet 99% of the time it's amazing!!

I'm also going on my very first trip to WDW (ever) during Christmas (we're dumb) and while I totally thrive on the level of planning WDW takes for a trip like this I can definitely see why others wouldn't want to take on the planning. Or wouldn't know where to start.

Upvote 0

DisneyJill

I've thought about how much fun it would be to plan vacations for people as a side gig. I bet 99% of the time it's amazing!!

I'm also going on my very first trip to WDW (ever) during Christmas (we're dumb) and while I totally thrive on the level of planning WDW takes for a trip like this I can definitely see why others wouldn't want to take on the planning. Or wouldn't know where to start.

christmas is SUCH an amazing time to go though!! the crowds are significant, but the overall experience is SO worth it! take a spin around the monorail and check out the decorations at the resorts if you have time!

Upvote 0

jaklgreen

I was thinking about doing this for a while also. But what changed my mind was that I have talked to several people(friends and relatives send them to me when they are thinking of going to WDW) and 99% of them do not listen to what I have to say about their WDW stay. The first thing I tell them is about how big and spread out the property is because most people think it is like going to a six flags, etc. I tell them about the dining and fast pass, etc. But they either don't believe me or think that I am exaggerating because they do zero of it. Maybe if I was an "official" travel agent they would listen better but I have probably gone more then many agents have. Over 30+ trips spanning over 2 decades. So now unless someone really wants to hear about WDW, I don't even bother trying to talk to others about it.

Upvote 0

Pixieish

I was thinking about doing this for a while also. But what changed my mind was that I have talked to several people(friends and relatives send them to me when they are thinking of going to WDW) and 99% of them do not listen to what I have to say about their WDW stay. The first thing I tell them is about how big and spread out the property is because most people think it is like going to a six flags, etc. I tell them about the dining and fast pass, etc. But they either don't believe me or think that I am exaggerating because they do zero of it. Maybe if I was an "official" travel agent they would listen better but I have probably gone more then many agents have. Over 30+ trips spanning over 2 decades. So now unless someone really wants to hear about WDW, I don't even bother trying to talk to others about it.

TAs have to deal with people like that too.

Upvote 0

jaklgreen

TAs have to deal with people like that too.

I am sure they do. But as a travel agent I imagine that these people would come back and complain or post nasty things about the agent because their trip wasn't "perfect". I wouldn't want to have to deal with that in my professional life. I think people need to take responsibility for their own lives and vacations. Just put in the work yourself. It pays off in the end. The last thing I want to do is be in a strange city(or especially country) and not know to go about because I left all the planning to a stranger. That's just me.

Upvote 0

DisneyJoe

I am sure they do. But as a travel agent I imagine that these people would come back and complain or post nasty things about the agent because their trip wasn't "perfect". I wouldn't want to have to deal with that in my professional life. I think people need to take responsibility for their own lives and vacations. Just put in the work yourself. It pays off in the end. The last thing I want to do is be in a strange city(or especially country) and not know to go about because I left all the planning to a stranger. That's just me.
Working with a travel agent, at least those in my agency and others I know, is a joint planning effort, a consulting and advising one. It is extremely rare that we are a stranger and do all of the planning for a client without any input from them, that isn't our role.

Usually when something goes wrong and they complain is when we've discussed and given advice on how best to do something and the client hasn't read it or did read and just ignored it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom