Anyone else, had frustrating situations with their Travel Agent??

Lilly08

I posted in the Resort section yesterday and got wonderful advice.
I called Disney to see if I could put in my Hotel request.
Well, I have to go into my local travel agent. I used a local travel agent to book my family’s Christmas Disney World trip.
I have had nothing but total nightmare situations with this travel agent. Every time they have had to fix a mistake on my account it has caused even more issues on (My Disney Experience) APP. Examples, deleted park tickets, deleted special event tickets, which effected my abilities to do dinner reservations, purchasing advanced event tickets, booking special tours.
My memory maker was deleted twice. My last issue with the memory maker. It just left me speechless. Short version, I was told at 11am, not log into (My Disney Experience) till Travel Agent got word back from Disney internet help desk. Because it could cause more issues on it. She said It would be fixed by 3pm and she would call me as soon it was up. Well, I waited till 5pm and tried calling her for news. Office had closed early... I had to wait 45mins to speak with Disney for a confirmation everything was ok and I could log into (My Disney Experience)! I still haven’t received that call from her...
Misspelled names on flight tickets, twice! This happening with photo copies of everyone’s birth certificates in front of travel agent doing the fix’s!
Every time it has happened. I’ve had to wait for the travel agent office to open...
Then they will throw the blame on Disney.
I’ve spent over 48hrs on the phone with Disney internet help desk. Which in the end I’ve had to call travel agent to resolve it..
Disney World can NOT see my Disney Package. They can not add or subtract things from it. They can’t even just add notes onto it..
I’m sick to my stomach, of just having to call them to add my hotel room request this morning.. Just another bump in my road, being a mommy to 6 beautiful girls!

Rutt

The one situation where a Travel Agent is extremely helpful is complex multi destination international travel that requires lots of documents and what not (For example travel in Central Asia or Sub-Saharan Africa), but otherwise it is amazing to me that they even exist anymore.
As a TA myself, i will explain why they 'even exist anymore'.
While a good portion of people on sites like this are familiar with the ins and outs of Disney and probably fairly good at planning, the majority of the public is not. Whether it be an issue of time (not everyone has hours and hours to preplan everything or search online for ADRs, FPs etc) or even interest (not everyone is a Disney addict), a good TA will help you make the most of what is honestly a very complicated process. I got into it myself because of how many people were coming to me on a daily (yes daily) basis complaining about their not very well planned out vacations and for those who honestly just dont have time to do it all themselves (aka the majority).

Upvote 0

jimbojones

As a TA myself, i will explain why they 'even exist anymore'.
While a good portion of people on sites like this are familiar with the ins and outs of Disney and probably fairly good at planning, the majority of the public is not. Whether it be an issue of time (not everyone has hours and hours to preplan everything or search online for ADRs, FPs etc) or even interest (not everyone is a Disney addict), a good TA will help you make the most of what is honestly a very complicated process. I got into it myself because of how many people were coming to me on a daily (yes daily) basis complaining about their not very well planned out vacations and for those who honestly just dont have time to do it all themselves (aka the majority).
Fair enough and I don't mean to belittle your job in any way. If people are coming to you then clearly there still is demand, however of my friends and family over the past decade I don't know of any who have used a travel agent for domestic travel. That in and of itself probably speaks very well to your abilities that you are able to compete with the expedia's of the world!

However forgive for taking your views with a respectful grain of salt given that your paycheck depends upon people using travel agent services. My impartial bet as a traveler is that millennials are far less inclined to use a TA rather than web based services. I may be wrong but I still think a brick and mortar travel agency model had its peak sometime in the late 1980s to mid 1990s. Again not a personal attack just an opinion on the uindustry, it sounds like you are succeeding in spite of that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rutt

Fair enough and I don't mean to belittle your job in any way. If people are coming to you then clearly there still is demand, however of my friends and family over the past decade I don't know of any who have used a travel agent for domestic travel. That in and of itself probably speaks very well to your abilities that you are able to compete with the expedia's of the world!

However forgive for taking your views with a respectful grain of salt given that your paycheck depends upon people using travel agent services. My impartial bet as a traveler is that millennials are far less inclined to use a TA rather than web based services. I may be wrong but I still think a brick and mortar travel agency model had its peak sometime in the late 1980s to mid 1990s. Again not a personal attack just an opinion on the uindustry, it sounds like you are succeeding in spite of that.
No offense was taken, and I apologize if it came off that way. I am only a part timer myself and use what I make to pay for my own travels. However I will say that demand for my service has actually increased significantly in the last several years, especially when it comes to the Disneys and Unis of the world. I also specialize in crazy road trips within North america which is kind of an art that has been picking up as of late so it works for me.

Sounds like you surround yourself with a group of savvy travellers which is awesome!

Upvote 0

DisneyJoe

My impartial bet as a traveler is that millennials are far less inclined to use a TA rather than web based services.
Just the opposite - Google for millennials travel agents and you will find many articles

Millennials Are Relying on Travel Agents in Record Numbers

Studies Show Why Millennials Are Good News for Travel Agents

Millennials Are More Likely to Use Travel Agents Than Any Other

Upvote 0

simbastitch

I spent many, many hours researching the best way of doing things and what would be the best value for the holiday I wanted. Using a travel agent has saved me £600 on the prices quoted by Disney and Virgin for the exact same flights, hotel, dining plan, hire car etc, so it's nothing to do with laziness at all. I'd have loved to have booked it all myself but I'm not going to pay £600 more just for the sake of it. I'm sure some people do do it because they can't be bothered to sort it all out but I imagine a lot of people are like me and have just found it to be the cheapest option.

Upvote 0

Matt in the Hatt

My wife used one to book our upcoming trip because we are doing a disney cruise and have never done one before. Lets just say i have been less than thrilled with the job they have done. Everything takes multiple emails before she finally does anything. Thank god i did our fastpasses myself

Upvote 0

jimbojones

Just the opposite - Google for millennials travel agents and you will find many articles

Millennials Are Relying on Travel Agents in Record Numbers

Studies Show Why Millennials Are Good News for Travel Agents

Millennials Are More Likely to Use Travel Agents Than Any Other
interesting!

Upvote 0

jaklgreen

I spent many, many hours researching the best way of doing things and what would be the best value for the holiday I wanted. Using a travel agent has saved me £600 on the prices quoted by Disney and Virgin for the exact same flights, hotel, dining plan, hire car etc, so it's nothing to do with laziness at all. I'd have loved to have booked it all myself but I'm not going to pay £600 more just for the sake of it. I'm sure some people do do it because they can't be bothered to sort it all out but I imagine a lot of people are like me and have just found it to be the cheapest option.

Unfortunately here in the States there are really no more "deals" when you book with a travel agent verses booking directly with Disney. They used to have a good partnership with AAA and they had some great deals. But that ended years ago. Now, unless the agency wants to give you something, there are no extra perks or savings.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I dont think I have ever had a problem with Pam and her crew at @Kingdom Konsultant

If Pam is out on a cruise or trip, there is a representative available. I dont think Ive had a problem (outside of me not being able to make up my mind).
Same here. I send one maybe two emails to Marie (@wannabeBelle) and I am done until I have to go on the trip. No worrying about discounts, dining and the like. I can't imagine going back to the old way.

Upvote 0

DisneyJoe

Unfortunately here in the States there are really no more "deals" when you book with a travel agent verses booking directly with Disney. They used to have a good partnership with AAA and they had some great deals. But that ended years ago. Now, unless the agency wants to give you something, there are no extra perks or savings.
Many Disney focused agencies such as Kingdom Konsultant will monitor the Disney promotions and work to apply them when released to their clients reservations.

Upvote 0

jaklgreen

Many Disney focused agencies such as Kingdom Konsultant will monitor the Disney promotions and work to apply them when released to their clients reservations.

Right, but that is not the same as what simbastitch said. She said that only by booking with the travel agency did she save the $600. That is different then getting a Disney sponsored deal that anyone can get.

Upvote 0

DisneyJoe

Right, but that is not the same as what simbastitch said. She said that only by booking with the travel agency did she save the $600. That is different then getting a Disney sponsored deal that anyone can get.
Agreed, but her package contained air and other components, it wasn't just Disney.
Likely that difference was due to airfare. A TA that is well versed in air can save hundreds over what a consumer can get - but that can take years of experience and being connected to the proper systems - especially for international and bulk/consolidator rates.

Upvote 0

BigRedDad

Yes, many times. They say they have your interest at heart. The TA I use automatically moves to the best rate. But they get snippy when I find a better rate renting DVC or staying offsite. If only they provided a true travel agent service other than a reservation mechanism, would they be useful.

Upvote 0

DisneyJoe

Yes, many times. They say they have your interest at heart. The TA I use automatically moves to the best rate. But they get snippy when I find a better rate renting DVC or staying offsite. If only they provided a true travel agent service other than a reservation mechanism, would they be useful.
Does everyone understand that travel agents are paid from the commission that they are paid from the reservations that they make? and when they drop you to the best rate, they are reducing the amount of money that they are earning? If you have an agent price trip after trip after trip, spending hours trying to find you the best value for your money, and then you don't book with them and go and rent DVC points, they have spent hours of work and have earned $0. I agree that they shouldn't allow their dissatisfaction with your decision to come through so that you detect them being snippy, but you need to realize the compensation model.

This is why many agents do charge consultation fees - and many clients do pay them.

Upvote 0

BigRedDad

Does everyone understand that travel agents are paid from the commission that they are paid from the reservations that they make? and when they drop you to the best rate, they are reducing the amount of money that they are earning? If you have an agent price trip after trip after trip, spending hours trying to find you the best value for your money, and then you don't book with them and go and rent DVC points, they have spent hours of work and have earned $0. I agree that they shouldn't allow their dissatisfaction with your decision to come through so that you detect them being snippy, but you need to realize the compensation model.

This is why many agents do charge consultation fees - and many clients do pay them.
That is a job they chose. I am hiring them to find me the best rate possible for my desired vacation. If they are doing less work than I am doing to find the best rates and accommodations, then what am I really paying for? Its my money and I will use it the way I choose. If you don't care about money then take whatever rate they get you. If you care about how much you spend and want to keep as much of your money as you want, then you seek the lowest rates.

Upvote 0

Rutt

That is a job they chose. I am hiring them to find me the best rate possible for my desired vacation. If they are doing less work than I am doing to find the best rates and accommodations, then what am I really paying for? Its my money and I will use it the way I choose. If you don't care about money then take whatever rate they get you. If you care about how much you spend and want to keep as much of your money as you want, then you seek the lowest rates.
So dont use an agent then and find the lowers rates they are spending 'less work' doing yourself. ;) That way everybody is happy

(Sorry, comments like those above bug me. Dont mean to sound rude)

Upvote 0

jaklgreen

I think that if you go to a travel agent then you should go in expecting to book with them. Especially if they put in hours or work for you. But if you feel like they are not doing their job and are indifferent, then you should not feel like you NEED to book with them if you are not comfortable. But you should never use them to do your research for you for free. That is rude.

Upvote 0

PHS79

We have used the same TA for all of our trips (Disney, Mexico, Scotland, Italy) the last 7+ years. She is absolutely great! Since we have been to Disney a few times we know what we would like (resort, tickets, etc), I also tell her the flights that we would like to be on. Our TA will then book the basics for us (flights, resort, park tickets) and then I take care of diner reservations and FP. We could book everything without a TA but being that we fly out of a regional airport in WI and winter weather has canceled flights on us in the past. We have found it much easier to let our TA deal with rebooking airline tickets than us messing with the people at the ticket desk in the airport, the $50 fee that she charges for booking Disney trips is well worth it to us. If we have requests or questions about anything, a quick email to her takes care of it. I prefer to send an email to our TA that takes 1 minute to type up rather than sit on hold with Disney for 45 mins.

Just my $0.02 worth

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom