Anyone else actually like DCA?

Daannzzz

I liked Superstar limo. It was an Imagineering attempt to go off in a different direction. Unfortunately it relied on some in jokes that didn’t resonate with everyone. I understand why people didn’t like it. It was a sarcastic comedic look at LA and the Hollywood culture.
I also like the Monsters Inc. ride that replaced Superstar Limo. While three or four real animatronics would have done wonders for the ride it is one of the few that have a great climax. When the A/C is on and you enter the final door room it hits you with a blast of cold air and the loud, rousing music. It really would take my breath away for a simple dark ride. You would think that they would build more of these “C Ticket” dark rides as they seem to please so many people. Based on budgets for the larger rides I suspect these are an astronomical cost as well.

SuddenStorm

My issue with DCA is every ride there has a better version in Disneyland.

Cars Land is cool... but Radiator Springs is nothing compared to walking down Main Street.
The Incredicoaster isn't nearly as fun as Big Thunder or Space Mountain.
Why ride a bland, generic water ride when you can ride one of the most immersive, charming, and well executed water rides on the planet at Disneyland?
The Challenge Course? Tom Sawyer's Island is way cooler.
World of Color is an attempt to make Fantasmic without paying for actors. It's a soulless clip show that pales in comparison to what Fantasmic was.
Dumbo and Astro Orbitor is way better then the Mood Swings.
Why ride Heimlichs Train when there's Casey Jr?
Guardians is a thematic hodgepodge- there's no duplicate at Disneyland but if we're going screen based, Star Tours is way better- and if we're gonna go haunted like ToT was, Haunted Mansion is way better.
Not a fan of shooters, so I put Buzz and Midway Mania about equal.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Well ok so I am planning my first adventure to DLR sometime in next year. Veteran WDW geek. I used to avoid DHS because it was my least favorite, and mostly not an all day park. Understood that will change and did spend most of a day there this year but even with Toystory Land I still left at 3:00. So wondering if DCA will be a similar feeling to me. Since I have never been there of course I am curious, but pondering whether it is worth it to get a park hopper or just sit with a one day just there. I currently plan to be there 5 days. I know I will love DL and when in WDW my aim is to be in MK at least 3 days but prefer 5 and I know every inch.

Do any of you veteran DL peeps actually spend an entire day at DCA....or do you feel you resent the time away from DL whilst there?:angelic:

Californian Elitist

Well ok so I am planning my first adventure to DLR sometime in next year. Veteran WDW geek. I used to avoid DHS because it was my least favorite, and mostly not an all day park. Understood that will change and did spend most of a day there this year but even with Toystory Land I still left at 3:00. So wondering if DCA will be a similar feeling to me. Since I have never been there of course I am curious, but pondering whether it is worth it to get a park hopper or just sit with a one day just there. I currently plan to be there 5 days. I know I will love DL and when in WDW my aim is to be in MK at least 3 days but prefer 5 and I know every inch.

Do any of you veteran DL peeps actually spend an entire day at DCA....or do you feel you resent the time away from DL whilst there?:angelic:

I truly believe it’s different for those who grew up going to Disneyland prior to the opening of DCA in 2001 and have been continuously visiting both parks for 18+ years.

Check it out for yourself, you may love it. Consider the one day, since it’s your first time. :)

fravit

Since I have never been there of course I am curious, but pondering whether it is worth it to get a park hopper or just sit with a one day just there
I'd say get the park hopper. Currently there's more to do at DCA than Hollywood Studios. If you're trying to see the whole park, you can end up spending the better part of a day just in Cars Land. Plus I think it's just a more relaxing park and it's a great place to go when the crowds / strollers of DL get overwhelming.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No

"That's a lie. Mediocrity saves money."

Practical Pig

I do like DCA now. Like everything everywhere, it has its faults. I haven't been there since Pixar Pier happened to know how annoyed I would be in practice, but the kinetic quality of the land and the atmosphere at twilight that I enjoy won't have changed. I lament the abandonment of the philosophy that brought us Buena Vista Street, etc., but unfortunately the multi-billion dollar acquisition IP ship has sailed, arrived at destination Disney, and unloaded. But there is a more relaxed, easy-going quality to DCA that I appreciate.

From my occasional tourist perspective, DL and DCA really feel to me to be one compound park. Because of DL's insane crowd levels, I always buy park-hoppers now, and retreat to DCA (if possible with family) when feeling too pressed by the hoards of my fellow tired, sweaty, and stressed-out humanity at the Happiest Place on Earth.

rreading

WDW vet here and we've done DLR a few times. Get the park hopper. They're so close to one another, it's easy to bounce back and forth. NOT like WDW at all (we generally don't do park hoppers at WDW anymore). As well, it's likely to be hard to fill your day at DCA, especially if you start early (one of our days we did morning magic and by 10AM, we had done every ride there (even Goofy :(). Had we not had park hoppers, we would have been bored.

We're going to WDW for our ~15th time with our 14yo and will stay for 5d. We never get bored. But in one of our trips (~9yo), she didn't have anything else she wanted to do by 4:30 on the second day (including DL). We went back to the Grand Californian (and maybe hit the parks again later that evening). But you can be efficient with the rides in DLR and get everything done there - but she didn't want to see the shows (we missed Aladdin :() and wasn't interested in the little details on Main Street that we find charming.

Our next trip was uber-crowded and, while we were able do everything, it was a HOT Columbus Day weekend and was PACKED; thus it really wasn't terribly enjoyable either. I keep hoping to be ready to go back to DLR but we're still not ready yet.

But get the park hopper.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom