Anyone do uber while at a Disney resort?

Skibum1970

I guess it depends on whether you enjoy driving or not. The cost of parking at your resort (on site) per night plus the cost of the rental might be close to what you are spending on Uber rides. I enjoy not having to drive, or walking to and from a parking lot looking for my car, or getting into a hot car, etc. Even if the cost is higher, it's worth it to me for convenience.

Yep. The one thing that plays into everything is the bus service. At POFQ this year, we only waited one time for a significant period and that was because we had just missed the bus from MK back to the hotel. It's just that, sometimes, you're ready to leave when you're ready to leave. At Epcot, AK, and Studios, getting to the car is relatively quick and you're back at your hotel before you know it. At MK, the parking lot requires boat or monorail transitions and thus saves less time.

I think that staying at a DVC means free parking and so that might not be a concern. So, I think that I need to get more used to Uber (have only used it once).

Good tip for finding your car. Take a picture with your phone of the row that you're in. Then, you'll have that to reference if you don't drop your phone.

communipaw

Used it once to get from Fort Wilderness after the Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue and it did not go well. It was difficult for the driver to find us/understand where to pick us up and when he did show up security jumped in and told him to leave and that he can't pick us up. In the end we got our ride but it was far from smooth.

Long story short - be aware of where you set your pickup spot to be. There are places in the resort where Uber is not allowed to pickup and they are not always reflected on the Uber map/app.

Skibum1970

Used it once to get from Fort Wilderness after the Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue and it did not go well. It was difficult for the driver to find us/understand where to pick us up and when he did show up security jumped in and told him to leave and that he can't pick us up. In the end we got our ride but it was far from smooth.

Long story short - be aware of where you set your pickup spot to be. There are places in the resort where Uber is not allowed to pickup and they are not always reflected on the Uber map/app.

That has been my only real concern. For instance, where can they pick you up near the MK entrance? Is it by the TTC or can they meet you near the Contemporary (which I think would not be allowed to avoid a crush of vehicles at that spot)?

Tuvalu

Premium Member
That has been my only real concern. For instance, where can they pick you up near the MK entrance? Is it by the TTC or can they meet you near the Contemporary (which I think would not be allowed to avoid a crush of vehicles at that spot)?
Uber pick up is at the TTC by the taxis or at the front entrance door of the Contemporary (driver must enter the Contemporary lot, cannot pick up or drop off at the side of the road.) A Minnie Van, however, can pick up and drop off at the MK bus depot.

Driver

Rule of thumb Uber is supposed to p/u or d/o same places as taxi's. They throw all that out the window for fear of getting a bad review. They will stop in the high speed lane of I-4 if they think the review and tip are good. My advice is stick to Disney's rules, the company is getting very cranky over this lack of concern over guest safety. Many ideas are being kicked around to remedy this, I expect most will not like the outcome. However like everything else there is always somebody out there to ruin a good thing. Expect changes in the future that make Uber not as convenient.

Skibum1970

Rule of thumb Uber is supposed to p/u or d/o same places as taxi's. They throw all that out the window for fear of getting a bad review. They will stop in the high speed lane of I-4 if they think the review and tip are good. My advice is stick to Disney's rules, the company is getting very cranky over this lack of concern over guest safety. Many ideas are being kicked around to remedy this, I expect most will not like the outcome. However like everything else there is always somebody out there to ruin a good thing. Expect changes in the future that make Uber not as convenient.

Oh, I agree. I don't push against the rules and I am one of those who get caught doing anything. It's just a lot easier with a lot less guilt to follow the directions for the most part. Plus, I would get aggravated if I were driving in to the Contemporary and to wait until someone picked up/dropped off an Uber customer. So, it's kind of a "do unto others" situation.

GholsHost

Uber/Lyft have filled a transportation gap at WDW. And their presence is bound to accelerate as a result of the newly implemented resort parking fees. You know that the Mouse is not happy when someone else is eating his cheese. Will be interesting to see Disney's ultimate response.

sndral

Used Lyft from DTD to the GF late one night last Dec..
Took a bit to locate our driver as it was right after the Star Wars movie let out and lots of people were looking for their rides at the pick up place - the driver was a WDW CM by day and drove for Lyft at night.
It was so much nicer knowing the price before you hopped in, unlike my experiences with taxis at WDW with those ticking taxi meters racking up the cost.

JohnD

As an AP holder, I get free parking at parks. I've gotten more comfortable driving to the parks, especially on my check-out day. Security is everywhere so I know my stuff is fine in the car. And trams make it convenient to get to and from the car.

fluffy

Gonna asked this again....our car will be parked at the Dolphin. Would it cost less to drive ourselves around Disney using our own car or use Uber? Have no idea if we will have to deal with parking fees everywhere. I don't mind taking the buses but we may want to get somewhere quicker.

I am Timmy

Gonna asked this again....our car will be parked at the Dolphin. Would it cost less to drive ourselves around Disney using our own car or use Uber? Have no idea if we will have to deal with parking fees everywhere. I don't mind taking the buses but we may want to get somewhere quicker.
Parking at the parks is free when staying onsite. Also free at Disney Springs. Your parking fee at the Dolphin is $23 a night plus tax. I guess it would be cheaper for you to drive. If you are in a hurry, then Uber might be a better choice. You may pay a little more for convenience, but like any thing else you spend money to save time. Or, you spend time to save money. All depends on your priority. Hope that helps!

TrojanUSC

If you're going to/from FW/Trails End/Hoop De Doo or Magic Kingdom, use the MinnieVan service. Since they are company vehicles, they have better access. Otherwise, stick with general Uber/Lyft, as they are cheaper and there's no difference in terms of access.

Hockey89

Just go back from Disney and we used UBER a lot.... No issues... Quick times to get one.... It's way cheaper to get one from the airport than taxi.

KBLovedDisney

Because we stayed off site two weeks ago, I used Uber (which was my very first time actually). Albeit there are some drivers who drive like they are on Fast and the Furious and it can get a little pricey, especially for taking an Uber to and from MK (even though they only take and drop you off at the Transportation and Ticket Center), it was the easiest and most convenient for getting around. It was also very fast and you don't have to worry about standing up in a bus or monorail.

Can't say anything for Lyft because I have never used that service before.

crxbrett

Not crazy at all! :joyfull: Besides, when you stand, you are able to see more of that gorgeous Disney World scenery.

Man the post Disney blues are really kicking in:cry:

Yes!!! I think that's exactly why I probably do prefer standing.

Ugh! I'm sorry. That feeling's the absolute worst isn't it? You definitely have my sympathy and as much as I do not want to even think about it now, I'll be suffering those same blues in about 4 weeks:depressed:. But on the bright side, you can start planning your next trip now - right?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom