Anyone dislike the volggers content?

mergatroid

Context? Who wrote that?
Of course, apologies. It was featured in The Guardian which is a fairly well respected newspaper in England.

Also in my quote it cites
“Parents need to think very carefully about how the material they are filming is available for the world to see in perpetuity,” says Prof John Oates, a Senior Lecturer in the Child and Youth Studies Group at the Open University, and founder of the British Psychological Society’s Media Ethics Advisory Group (BPS). This year, he has represented the BPS in the UK government’s development of regulations to safeguard child performers.
Now I've never met the bloke but I'm guessing he knows more than me? I could be wrong though my friend, I often am :D

mergatroid

I just watched that clip and I didn't see anything beyond what any parent would do when trying to get a reluctant child comfortable with a character. He was shying away a little but didn't look scared.
Yes it's a judgement call and as I said they should know what's best for him. I don't think it's a huge deal either and mainly said it because the conversation had wondered over into the 'is it right to include their kid territory'. They attract a lot of criticism for various reasons, some fair, much not and some boderline.

Budd

People also need to think twice about having children for the sole purpose of being featured in vlogs. Sure the cuteness of the child during the first few years will help reel in views, likes, and extra monetization, but they grow up fast, and then what? What if the child looks goofy during the years they're supposed to be adorable? What if the child is ornery during filming? Many things need to be considered before starting a family for YouTube gains.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
People also need to think twice about having children for the sole purpose of being featured in vlogs. Sure the cuteness of the child during the first few years will help reel in views, likes, and extra monetization, but they grow up fast, and then what? What if the child looks goofy during the years they're supposed to be adorable? What if the child is ornery during filming? Many things need to be considered before starting a family for YouTube gains.
Don't know of any Vloggers who have started a family for you tube gains .

Goofyernmost

Of course, apologies. It was featured in The Guardian which is a fairly well respected newspaper in England.

Also in my quote it cites

Now I've never met the bloke but I'm guessing he knows more than me? I could be wrong though my friend, I often am :D
He may know what type of topic to use for his dissertation but how can you determine what the outcome of that will be when it is really such a minor amount of time that this activity has even existed. Most of the kids that have currently been part of a vlog are still kids. As kids they are going to be whatever they will be when they grow up, and that would be true with or without a vlog participation. It takes many years of actual time and documentation to have a real understand of any long term affects. I'm sure that article got the guy a huge "atta boy" from his Dissertation Advisory Committee for it's structure and defense, but it still needs to be proven over time. Until then it is basically theory. It is easy to write stuff and make it sound official and like one knows what they are talking about, but if you think for a minute that I know, one way or the other, anything about what the actual outcome will be then I just proved my point.

mergatroid

He may know what type of topic to use for his dissertation but how can you determine what the outcome of that will be when it is really such a minor amount of time that this activity has even existed. Most of the kids that have currently been part of a vlog are still kids. As kids they are going to be whatever they will be when they grow up, and that would be true with or without a vlog participation. It takes many years of actual time and documentation to have a real understand of any long term affects. I'm sure that article got the guy a huge "atta boy" from his Dissertation Advisory Committee for it's structure and defense, but it still needs to be proven over time. Until then it is basically theory. It is easy to write stuff and make it sound official and like one knows what they are talking about, but if you think for a minute that I know, one way or the other, anything about what the actual outcome will be then I just proved my point.
Well I've honestly no idea about how reliable his theory is either. I was actually posting it mainly as a reply to somebody asking to see any articles on the subject. I assume the guy who wrote the article has done some research and studied it, but how reliable his conclusions are I have no real idea.

Goofyernmost

Don't know of any Vloggers who have started a family for you tube gains .
To be honest it makes as much sense as any of the objections to it. It is all personal judgement based on no real facts and probably mostly from people that have many theories about how to raise a child without ever really having one. (not all mind you, but a lot) Until one has one of those demanding little things they really have no idea about what it takes sometimes to prepare them for life. Sometimes, to the outsider, it seems cruel to expose a kid to something scary, but usually if the parent shows no indication that they should be concerned and allow them to see that there is no danger, or if there is real danger, then how will they know.

Goofyernmost

Well I've honestly no idea about how reliable his theory is either. I was actually posting it mainly as a reply to somebody asking to see any articles on the subject. I assume the guy who wrote the article has done some research and studied it, but how reliable his conclusions are I have no real idea.
Just to be clear, I wasn't directing my statement to you, I was addressing it to the topic and how what on the service can seem informed, it is based on recent life styles that have had not time to develop into a full reality. It is based on many things but not actual results, just speculation and some degree of knowledge about how things work. They are quite often wrong. Time will tell about how this comes out but the worse thing that I can think of that will happen for exposure to Disney type theme parks will be a inner thought that they are entitled to spend a lot of free and otherwise rewarded time in a theme park. The reality is that won't happen and possible may never want to set foot in a theme park again. I see nothing particularly harmful to society that this type of exposure will bring. Sometimes common sense should be fired up and not always what is conjured up by folks that do not understand how actual life works.

mergatroid

Just to be clear, I wasn't directing my statement to you, I was addressing it to the topic and how what on the service can seem informed, it is based on recent life styles that have had not time to develop into a full reality. It is based on many things but not actual results, just speculation and some degree of knowledge about how things work. They are quite often wrong. Time will tell about how this comes out but the worse thing that I can think of that will happen for exposure to Disney type theme parks will be a inner thought that they are entitled to spend a lot of free and otherwise rewarded time in a theme park. The reality is that won't happen and possible may never want to set foot in a theme park again. I see nothing particularly harmful to society that this type of exposure will bring. Sometimes common sense should be fired up and not always what is conjured up by folks that do not understand how actual life works.
Not a problem my friend, I don't take things personally in discussions usually unless it's obviously directed at me. It's good discussing things with people who've different perspectives and can be done without falling out.

GustoGummi

There is so much wild and crazy drama around most of the Orlando vloggers it's a circus. I eat that crap up, but I know the parks are starting to hate them because the drama doesn't suit their image well.

M:SpilotISTC12

Tried to watch Super Enthused "D23" video this morning. Couldn't make it more than 2 minutes because she kept calling it "D-two-three". In the beginning of the video she says it's called that because the company was founded in nineteen twenty three. But proceeded to call it two-three. Something so trivial and nit picky but it made me cringe every time that I had to shut it off. She puts out quality videos but the way she pronounces stuff sometimes drives me bonkers. This isnt the first time either but this was the biggest and worst offender.

mergatroid

Tried to watch Super Enthused "D23" video this morning. Couldn't make it more than 2 minutes because she kept calling it "D-two-three". In the beginning of the video she says it's called that because the company was founded in nineteen twenty three. But proceeded to call it two-three. Something so trivial and nit picky but it made me cringe every time that I had to shut it off. She puts out quality videos but the way she pronounces stuff sometimes drives me bonkers. This isnt the first time either but this was the biggest and worst offender.
Don't watch 'Paging Mr Morrow` then under any circumstances :D

Lou Filerman

Why don't you like Tim anymore? Just curious. I had heard things like Disney had banned him or dropped him from part of the blog force, yet I saw him on resorttv1 last night covering the Restaurant 220 posted late October. Invited and comped according to him. So what is the gripe anyway?
I don’t give a crap about his kid and they add him in too many videos.

Goofyernmost

I don’t give a crap about his kid and they add him in too many videos.
I agree, that will wear off soon enough, but in the meantime, leave them a little note in the remarks section and perhaps they will get the message that we want to see a travel/trip report not a growth and development of a child presentation. There is no need for the viral hate that I have read about it. If you don't like their brand you don't have to watch it, that is your right. Acting like someone just stole your favorite toy, however, is not your right. Just don't watch it anymore and leave a note saying why. He can be taken along for the ride. He doesn't have to be the center of the I get paid for home movies of my kid program. At some point they will learn that people that have already had kids aren't all that impressed with the kids development, we have been there and done that. People with no children are just frankly not interested. People seem to be getting angry for the wrong reasons. Not unusual these days, but still wrong.

Lou Filerman

I agree, that will wear off soon enough, but in the meantime, leave them a little note in the remarks section and perhaps they will get the message that we want to see a travel/trip report not a growth and development of a child presentation. There is no need for the viral hate that I have read about it. If you don't like their brand you don't have to watch it, that is your right. Acting like someone just stole your favorite toy, however, is not your right. Just don't watch it anymore and leave a note saying why. He can be taken along for the ride. He doesn't have to be the center of the I get paid for home movies of my kid program. At some point they will learn that people that have already had kids aren't all that impressed with the kids development, we have been there and done that. People with no children are just frankly not interested. People seem to be getting angry for the wrong reasons. Not unusual these days, but still wrong.
I just stopped watching. There are plenty others that I like I won’t miss them.

Goofyernmost

I just stopped watching. There are plenty others that I like I won’t miss them.
There you go! Problem solved! If you liked them at all in the past, let them know why you are leaving without making it sound like they are the most evil parents on the planet for taking their kid with them. Just tell them that you didn't watch them to see how their child was progressing, but to get information about places to see and things to do. If their following declines far enough they will figure it out, they seem like smart people, just a little overwhelmed with parenthood and one of millions that think the whole world thinks their child is simply the most fascinating that ever existed. If you didn't like them previously, then just leave.

Brad Bishop

I was watching one of them last night and started wondering: Am I watching this because I don't want to go to the parks?

Let me explain:

I'm done with the parks. The only one I'd actually like to visit at this point is Tokyo - specifically because it is run by a different company who still holds to the original show/guest values.

The current parks (USA) have all the problems we've mentioned before with (summarized):
- increased costs
- reduced services
- nickel and diming
- increased complexity in visiting

It made me wonder last night if I was watching the vloggers because I really do like seeing the parks but I also really don't want to go.

Sort of like the fear the NFL has with, "Well, if everyone can just watch at home then no one will show up at the stadium! BLACK OUT DATES!" (which seems to me that it'd more work against them than for them).

I wonder if Disney has reached that point with a lot of us to where we've kind of had it with Disney but still like to see the pictures from it from time to time because of the memories.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom