Anyone besides me actually prefer Value resorts to Moderates?

durangojim

We've stayed in Deluxes for the past 10 years exclusively, primarily GF, WL, and BC but last year, due to the economy and some other factors we decided to try a moderate -- PORS. After reading some glowing reviews, we booked a four night trip in a standard room. The grounds were pretty, the pool was nice, the rooms were nice -- and we would definately never stay there again. It lacked almost all of the things we enjoyed about the Deluxes which above all were the conveniences. The convenience of running down to the snack bar and bringing food back to eat in the room with kids, the convenience taking a boat, monorail, or walking to the parks, or at least not having a crowded bus to ride. PORS had none of this. It was too far to walk to the food court to bring the food back, the main pool was a good hike as well, and the bus transportation was pitiful. After waiting nearly an hour for a bus becuase each bus that arrived at the main depot was completely packed, we took a taxi to the MK. This was at 9 am. We've never had to do that, ever. So while the resort was beautiful and beautifully themed, it wasn't for us.
Three months later we returned to WDW and stayed for a night at Pop Century before spending 7 days at BC, and while short, it was great! Again, we were in a standard room, but it wasn't a long walk to the food court or stores. Transportation was great. We had no wait to Downtown Disney or Epcot. The theming was simple, but fun, and there was no confusion over which path to take. The food was good and close enough where I could easily bring items back to our room if the kids became hungry. My wife and I decided that if we wanted to take a short trip (3 or less nights) we could be completely happy with staying at Pop to save some money.
I guess I'm writing this to see if anyone else feels the same way I do, in that the extra money for a moderate isn't enough of an improvement over what you get at the value. Neither class will compare with what we get at deluxes but for us, Pop seems the way to go if we're doing it on the cheap.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
When it comes to transportation Pop is a unique animal amongst nearly all of the resorts at Disney because it has only one bus stop and, at least in my experience, never shares buses with the other resorts. It also has a somewhat central location making trips to all four parks quite short. This makes it have the best bus transportation of all of Disney's resorts. Had your first stay at a value been at one of the All Stars your opinion might be a bit different.

When it comes to resort choice it all comes down to what is to what features are most important to you. Transportation is clearly a big factor for you so Pop would be the most logical choice when not staying at a deluxe.

Upvote 0

LoriMistress

I love POP! I've read some nightmare stories regarding transportation issues with some of the moderate resorts. I was thinking about booking our up coming trip at a moderate, but I'm most likely sticking with POP again.

Upvote 0

stlbobby

I've never stayed at POP but I've done the All-Stars many times. I've also stayed at BC, BW, OKW, WL, SS, and PO and I have to say the the All-Stars are amongst my favorites. The only qualm I have is the lack of hot-tubs--old knees need relief after long days. I think the theming is awesome and there are many conveniences that rival the more expensive resorts.

Upvote 0

Dwarful

I agree. We have stayed at the values (all 4) the mods and deluxe. This year we are heading to Pop for our spring trip and YC for the summer trip. We decided to break it up this way for a few reasons.
1). Pop w/AP rates was cheap, which enabled us to get 2 trips in this year.
2). This resort doesn't share buses (we shared buses and boats at Boardwalk last year). My husband drives all day, 5-6 days a week, he doesn't want to drive on vacation.
3). Fun pool areas, easy to use food court, mug refill stations

We selected YC for the summer for a few reasons.
1). Summer time and the kids will want some serious pool breaks, meaning we want a pool that is close and fun.
2). It will be crowded, we want to be close to the parks.
3). We want to have a bit more space and be able to relax a bit.

I personally like the way the buses run at the values the best. They have everything laid out so you know where to go. We once saw a really ugly fight Christmas morning at the bus stop at CSR over which family arrived first for the bus to MK. Neither family was allowed on the bus.

Upvote 0

sweetpee_1993

I disagree.

I've stayed at Pop 4 times & POFQ once (also the Contemporary twice, Poly, & AKL). Given the choice between the Pop & POFQ I'd take POFQ in a heartbeat. It's smaller and more cozy which makes for a more relaxing stay. The fact that nothing in that resort is a long walk is huge for me. I prefer the double sinks & the privacy curtain between the vanity area & the bedroom. The theming is also very beautiful. The buses weren't unbearable to us. If we have something that we need to get to in a timely manner we catch a cab no matter what resort we're in. :wave:

Upvote 0

DHH

value vs. moderate

We have always stayed at a value resort. Have wife and 2 girls who most trips take a friend apiece. 2 rooms at Pop which we love and enjoy is a better deal for us because we use the room to sleep, shower and store whatever we take. Don't get me wrong I would love to stay at Wilderness Lodge or the Comtempory, but my budget will not allow either one until next year (girls are in college on daddys scholarship plan). Until then it will be Pop because All Stars buses are a no no.

Upvote 0

lovepooh

I have to say this the first time we stayed on property we stayed at the ASM the resort was very nice with the big characters and the food court was cool but conisitently we were the third pick up stop and third drop off. we always had to share busess with both other All-Star resorts. We decided the walk was TOO FAR from the food court and the bus situation was just too much for us

The next time we stayed at the CBR, That resort IS spread outttt! But our room wasn't that far from a bus stop but there were sooo many stops it took forever to get out of the CBR so we decided to try something a little different.

This last time we stayed at the POFQ. The resort was compact but the food court was close and the pool and boat docks were all with in a quick little jaunt. There is only 1 bus stop and if we go to POR we are the first stop to pick up and drop off. But we never shared busses with POR when we went to MK. I only remember sharing busses with POR a few times in fact. I love this resort so much were heading back there in April.

Thats just my opinion....:wave:

Upvote 0

_Scar

If I were a paying customer, the All-Star seem cheesy and motel like nesides all of the Disney decorations. I'm trying out POFQ this Summer because it seems so much more quaint and peaceful with a reasonable price.

Upvote 0

jeffk410

haha i think your crazy. But its all opinion. I cant stay at values. I love some of the moderates.. although PORS isnt my favorite. CSR and CBR are above it in my opinion, but everyone is different.

Upvote 0

Cosmic Commando

We once saw a really ugly fight Christmas morning at the bus stop at CSR over which family arrived first for the bus to MK. Neither family was allowed on the bus.

I love the theming of all the mods, but I'm a little hesitant to pay for the upgrade over Pop. Getting on the bus excited to go to the parks and then spending ten minutes more driving around the resort... yuck. And the covered bus stops are nice, but there is something comforting about a good old fashioned queue at the values. Just put up a shade like over the HM queue! That is my only complaint about the values.

Upvote 0

bhg469

I love POP! I've read some nightmare stories regarding transportation issues with some of the moderate resorts. I was thinking about booking our up coming trip at a moderate, but I'm most likely sticking with POP again.

I have been in worse crowds going back to cbr many times. CSR has the best transportation out of any resort IMO.

Having said that POP is definitely the best of the value resorts.

Upvote 0

bgraham34

I do have to say I am not a fan of CBR at all. I much prefer a Value resort to CBR. I thought CBR should be priced at a Value Resort, because to me it has more of that feel to it. I have yet to try the other moderates so I can't compare those.

Upvote 0

LoriMistress

I have been in worse crowds going back to cbr many times. CSR has the best transportation out of any resort IMO.

Having said that POP is definitely the best of the value resorts.
I've actually heard that CSR was a great moderate resort. But I'm not sure if I want to spend the extra $ per night. I'll have to review our budget.

Upvote 0

StitchMom84

We've discussed trying a Value to save money and maybe be able to take a second trip a year, but just can't get away from staying at POFQ
The resort isn't that large (by other standards ). And, you are always the first on busses. I don't know how they decide it, but sometimes the busses do go over to the Riverside to pick up and sometimes they don't.
Always have a French Quarter bus returning also..not sharing with PORS.
Pretty much no matter what building you stay in, the walk to the food courts, bus stop and pool is not that far.
It's quiet usually and is themed very nicely. We've had wonderful experiences there the last three years and hope that we're lucky enough to stay there again soon.
Perhaps give it a try sometime and see if it is a better fit for you.
We also love the boats to DTD

Upvote 0

ctamtwdw

We stayed at Pop in 2005. We were so disappointed that we switched hotels half way through the trip and moved over to PORS. At Pop, we waited a LONG time for the buses both coming and going. Many of the other hotel guests were loud and unruly (drinking, cussing, and partying on vacation belongs at the beach, not Disney World). That was just the tip of the iceberg. PORS was a relief and we stayed there again in 2008. We were very happy there because we felt like we were actually out in the forest somewhere, not at WDW. It was relaxing after a very busy day in the parks. In 2009 we stayed at the Polynesian. That was so nice that I don't know if we will ever be able to stay anywhere else.

Upvote 0

hrcollectibles

Personally I like Pop! Century. I look at it this way... I only need the room to sleep and shower.. The rest of the time I am in the parks.... Why spend bookoo bucks when most of my time will be spent outside of the room. Less money spent on the room means more money for the parks

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom